Peterborough Petes 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
This team looks the most promising in some time... But I do believe this teams success will rely on Nick Ritchie returning from Anahiem and the team going out and acquiring a proven goaltender.

Forwards Remaining:

Ritchie
Cornel
Garlent
Betzold
Clarke (OA)
MacDonald (OA)
Lorentz
Stefano
Nosad
Maguire
Coyle*
McCartney
Ang*
Timleck*

Defense Remaining:

Masin**
Spencer
Vladimirov**
Boland (OA)
Devlin (OA)
Varga
Lizotte
Timms*
McKinnon
Robinson

Goalies Remaining:

Smith*
Da Silva
Wells*

* = Rookie
** = Euro

Looks as if there is about 4-5 cuts to be made still.. I expect the cuts to be Ulett, McKinnon, Robinson, one goalie, one OA.

Last edited:

Radzy

Aug 28, 2012
If rumours are true about Maguire than I can see Ulett staying. The kid likes to hit and would love to have him in the lineup against his brother when we play Kingston lol

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
If rumours are true about Maguire than I can see Ulett staying. The kid likes to hit and would love to have him in the lineup against his brother when we play Kingston lol

He will need to play much better then he did in his debut on Monday afternoon if Ulett wants to stick around. It was his first game so I will reserve judgement for now, but he did not make good decisions with the puck and he passed up a few opportunities to finish his check. Also, I don't think his brother will make Kingston as he is not worth the OA spot.

docstop

Sep 3, 2014
Like Petes said, the person who started this thread, the Petes will sink or swim and it all comes down to Ritchie and their goaltending. I am from Peterborough and have been a Petes fan all my life and after watching how dependent they were on D'Agostini last year they will have to shore up their D.

Also really tired of Peterborough getting high NHL draft pick players leaving the team early (ie Jordan Stall, Zach Bogosian.) Hope Ritchie stays.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Keep in mind if Ritchie does return he'll be sitting out for 2 games with the Petes.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Like Petes said, the person who started this thread, the Petes will sink or swim and it all comes down to Ritchie and their goaltending. I am from Peterborough and have been a Petes fan all my life and after watching how dependent they were on D'Agostini last year they will have to shore up their D.

I hope you're wrong. Luckily you can sink and still make the playoffs. And while you're sinking other players may step up and save the ship. It's a team effort in the end and I hope the Petes prove you wrong. A trade for a goalie might help too.

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I hope you're wrong. Luckily you can sink and still make the playoffs. And while you're sinking other players may step up and save the ship. It's a team effort in the end and I hope the Petes prove you wrong. A trade for a goalie might help too.

I think if Ritchie moves on you will see Ang get a top 6 role and he is going to surprise a lot of people with his offensive production. His vision and passing ability is off the charts. With that being said, I still think having Ritchie is a must.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Keep in mind if Ritchie does return he'll be sitting out for 2 games with the Petes.

Nick Ritchie won't actually sit out any games. The chances of him being back for the first two games are next to nothing. He will serve his two games when he is away at Anaheim's training camp. Last season Scott Laughton had remaining games of a suspension and served those while he was at Philadelphia's training camp and was allowed to play in his first game back, which was against the Petes.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

Also really tired of Peterborough getting high NHL draft pick players leaving the team early (ie Jordan Stall, Zach Bogosian.) Hope Ritchie stays.

The Petes have enough offensive depth to overcome the potential loss of Nick Ritchie. They have four forwards, in addition to him that scored 20 plus goals last season. Hunter Garlent and Eric Cornell will dominate this year. They have solid three lines and Jonathan Ang looks ready to step in and contribute right away. This team will make the playoffs and will be a contender. If they need a goalie, they will trade for one.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Ritchie will get a look in Anaheim but I would be very surprised if he stays. The Ducks have 13 forwards currently on thier roster and many of them are similar sized young power forwards including Devante Smith-Pelley and Patrick Maroon. It's intuitive to leave him play the season in Ptbo and take the next steps. If he is on a winning Petes team (for once) that will be a key developmental step for Ritchie, who, at times, has cost the Petes headaches with his play and his penalties.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The Petes have enough offensive depth to overcome the potential loss of Nick Ritchie. They have four forwards, in addition to him that scored 20 plus goals last season. Hunter Garlent and Eric Cornell will dominate this year. They have solid three lines and Jonathan Ang looks ready to step in and contribute right away. This team will make the playoffs and will be a contender. If they need a goalie, they will trade for one.

The offense should be outstanding.. I just think we need one more defender and a goalie.

Sounds like A.Haydon from Niagara might be available? He fits the bill '96, right shot.

As for goaltenders.. I'd say one of Nichols/Mancina or Flinn.

My goal predictions for this season:

Ritchie 40
MacDonald 30
Clarke 25
Cornel 30-35
Garlent 20-25
Ang 10-15
Betzold 15-20

By the way it's really nice to finally are some Petes discussion on HF boards!!!

Last edited:

dogfan

Jun 16, 2009
Sounds like A.Haydon from Niagara might be available? He fits the bill '96, right shot.

Have a hard time seeing the Petes and IceDogs doing a deal this year with both teams expected to be contenders in the East.
Some may think it is an old fashion way of thinking but I never think its a good idea.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
"@PetesOHLhockey: Centre Austin Ulett has been reassigned."

I updated the original post. 14 forwards, 10 defenseman and 3 goaltenders remain with the team.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
This team looks the most promising in some time... But I do believe this teams success will rely on Nick Ritchie returning from Anahiem and the team going out and acquiring a proven goaltender.

Forwards Remaining:

Ritchie
Cornel
Garlent
Betzold
Clarke (OA)
MacDonald (OA)
Lorentz
Stefano
Nosad
Maguire
Coyle*
McCartney
Ang*
Timleck*

Defense Remaining:

Masin**
Spencer
Vladimirov**
Boland (OA)
Devlin (OA)
Varga
Lizotte
Timms*
McKinnon
Robinson

Goalies Remaining:

Smith*
Da Silva
Wells*

* = Rookie
** = Euro

Looks as if there is about 4-5 cuts to be made still.. I expect the cuts to be Ulett, McKinnon, Robinson, one goalie, one OA.
Where is Tanas

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
I am really excited to see this Petes team! Lots of exciting, offensive players to light the lamp. Hopefully Nick is back and Ang can stay healthy in his first season with the big boys-he is going to really impress many that haven't seen him yet with his skill and his creativity!

The teams roster needs are obvious, and have been clearly addressed on previous posts..And even if these player needs are not met, I still feel this team will win a lot of high scoring (and exciting) games!!

Garlent is going to put up large numbers this year as well as Clarke. On the back end, look for Matt Spencer to really mature into the 1st round talent that many believe he is capable of becoming.

Enjoy the ride!

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Any word on what the Petes are goin to do in net ?
As of today it seems like they're set to go with Da Silva as the starter & Smith or Wells as the backup.

I know Kitchener is likely going to waive Jordan DeKort.. But I doubt he's much of an upgrade. One of Justin Nichols or Matt Mancina are most likely avaiblbe as 3rd stronger Bradley Van Schubert has impressed. Owen Sound looks to have Jack Flinn on the market. Jake Patterson has left the London Knights to presume university options, maye give him an the knights a call an see if they can change his mind. Saginaw looks set on goal, but could have the other Jake Paterson return, forcing them to move a goalie.

I believe with Dylan wells coming along moving Smith in part of a trade wouldn't hurt the team in the long run. An with aone depth at forward an on the backend moving some younger guys wouldn't be a horrible idea. However maybe Da Silva steps up, I still believe a goaltending upgrade is needed to go deep this season

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
A goaltending upgrade is essential most us have agreed. If things get tough (as they do for all teams at some point) you're going to want a veteran keeper to stabilize things or occasionally steal a game like dagostini did last year. DaSilva needed to steal the show at camp and that remains to be seen -he hasn't so far. - they're givng Wells a good look - I don't know who plays net vs Battalion tonite -we'll know soon.

docstop

Sep 3, 2014
I'm with the rest... need a good goalie to go places. Pumped for opening night against the Frontenacs!

docstop

Sep 3, 2014
Forgot to mention this in my last post but having Hull behind he bench is also going to be a positive for the Petes.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
"@OHL_Follower93: #Petes point leaders after two preseason games:

@ecornel10: 4
@timms55: 3
@AdamTimleck: 3
@mclarke19: 2
@jonathanang21: 2"

"@OHL_Follower93: #Petes goalie stats after two preseason games:

@dylanwells30: .916%
Jason Da Silva: .933%

Next up for the Petes is the rival Generals.."

docstop

Sep 3, 2014
Got a set of Petes tix for the home opener on my birthday yesterday.

I hope I don't sound like an annoying teeny-bop cheerleader, but I am feeling very positive about the Petes this year and am planning on going to a lot more games than I have in the past.

BTW I just turned 29.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Got a set of Petes tix for the home opener on my birthday yesterday.

I hope I don't sound like an annoying teeny-bop cheerleader, but I am feeling very positive about the Petes this year and am planning on going to a lot more games than I have in the past.

BTW I just turned 29.

I as well am very optimistic for this season. Future looks very bright with the young guys we have on the roster this season..

Two guys to keep an eye on in Jr.A/B:

Matt Cairns - Toronto Patriots
Eddie Schulz - Strathroy Rockets

Both of these players impressed at camp and if not for the strong draft we had they likely would be on the team right now. Look forward to seeing how they develop to potentially join next years team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad