Olympics: Peter Forsberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Canada played dirty before and everybody knows it , just silly to try to mansplain away. But its eqaully silly to blame on a loss, Sweden knew that was the case , and they werent prepared for it. Kris Draper aiming for Sundins teeth, trying to buttend him after av long surgery in 2003 WC was one of the most classless acts ive ever witness. In JWC 2008 Markstrom was runed over three times in one game. Thats the everything it takes to win mentality that dont belong in hockey. I was pleasant supriced ca 5-6 years ago when Canada started to play very clean. And they have continued to play clean. In resent years maby cleaner than Sweden. Sometimes to much clumbsy stickwork from the Swedes.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Show me the video then.

I know forsberg, he's mouthed off about Canada in the past just like his old man was crying about us in the World cup in 1996......so I'll talk thank you very much.

you don't like it?...........too bad.
Yes, it really is too bad that people have to read your trash posts. But you are of coarse free to post them.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yes, it really is too bad that people have to read your trash posts. But you are of coarse free to post them.
Thats rich coming from you, one of the biggest swede trash posters here.

You don't like that I called out your precious little baby peter?

ah, poor little slimmy.............there, there now, it will be o.k, you won't lose to canada forever, take heart.

Perhaps you could better spend your time on the swedish board crying about bad reffing and how canada is so mean to you guys then wasting my time with your victim role drivel. Everyone, including some of your own fans is sick of all that.

You guys are gonna stay losing to Canada more often then not with that silliness.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This is hilarious, the troll swedish guys can't take cutting remarks based on Peters baby whining and are cutting and running.

Typical, thats what their teams do in big games too.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The same can't be said in reverse about Cherry, there's actual vitriol in his comments about Europeans. Seriously, the guy has been involved in the NHL in one capacity or another for over 40 years without making a single European friend. That's really odd, and he's not at all comparable to Forsberg or any other outspoken former player.

This is ridiculous.

Don is a caricature but he can be quite positive about European players, particularly if they play for Canadian NHL teams.

Forsberg, Cherry, guys spouting off for entertainment purposes, same difference.

Nothing wrong with spicing it up now and then.

Reactions: jj cale

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I read that CBC has hired Alexei Yashin to be part of the Canadian coverage of hockey at the Olympics. Men's hockey I assume, as I haven't seen him involve with the games the women have played. I would very much enjoy reading about his somewhat candid hockey thoughts along the lines of what Forsberg revealed.

He's not exactly verbose but it's interesting to have him there nonetheless.

Jack Slater said:
If you ignore the bad blood stemming from Ottawa it makes sense.

It's pretty much water under the bridge at this point.

He got a warm reception at the alumni game associated with the Winter Classic this year.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yup, never had to ignore anyone but this Cale guy takes the cake. Perhaps we're dealing with a young individual here.

Your whole issue is that you don't like what I said about Forsberg and called him and his whining out and that I compared him to cherry but if you took the time to look at the posts in this thread you can see I am not alone in this assessment.

It's my opinion and it isn't just mine.

forsbergs been whining for years now, it is totally legitimate to bring up in this thread because the whole thread was about what he said in this t.v segment and the fact you are touchy about it is too damn bad, you will just have to grow up and learn in this life that people are not always going to see things the way you do kid.

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
when it comes to Hockey Canada is a monster like none other, no one ever stands a chance against in a best on best, ofc he hates us, everyone should hate us, we are so far above them that we can't see them when we look down. In Russia everyone was a joke to us, it simply doesn't matter what you do , you can not beat us.

Everyone hates the best
Except that hate often comes from your side. That 2002 Gretzky interview? Sure you dont have to be communication expert to realize who hated who despite he tried to stress that everybody is against Canada. But in the end of the day it confirms your theory that “everyone hates the best (in NA probably)”. Thats just your culture. You guys just completely overlook fact that your meaning and feeling of hate is very far from Euro. Czechs, slovaks and I assume russians as well barely even use this word in their language as it would really have to mean something extraordinary. Same goes with that Forsberg interview. So its nice to see quite a lot of guys from NA trying to convince euros that they really hate them completely ignoring culture difference. Plain ignorance. Just wondering what other kinds of communication habits you try to distribute to this continent or at least try to convince us we really perceive everything in same way.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This is ridiculous.

Don is a caricature but he can be quite positive about European players, particularly if they play for Canadian NHL teams.

Forsberg, Cherry, guys spouting off for entertainment purposes, same difference.

Yup, he liked e.g. Selänne, Koivu, Kurri and Forsberg.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Except that hate often comes from your side. That 2002 Gretzky interview? Sure you dont have to be communication expert to realize who hated who despite he tried to stress that everybody is against Canada. But in the end of the day it confirms your theory that “everyone hates the best (in NA probably)”. Thats just your culture. You guys just completely overlook fact that your meaning and feeling of hate is very far from Euro. Czechs, slovaks and I assume russians as well barely even use this word in their language as it would really have to mean something extraordinary. Same goes with that Forsberg interview. So its nice to see quite a lot of guys from NA trying to convince euros that they really hate them completely ignoring culture difference. Plain ignorance. Just wondering what other kinds of communication habits you try to distribute to this continent or at least try to convince us we really perceive everything in same way.

O.k, we will switch hate for dislike then.

It's no secret most European hockey fans don't particuarly care for Canada in hockey. Wayne wasn't wrong in that interview, he was actually spot on.

It's to be expected and does not bother us very much, it's o.k

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
This is ridiculous.

Eh, no, Forsberg's not like Cherry, please.. When Don Cherry says something like that, theres no spark or twinkle in his eyes - he actually believes it, and a lot of his followers follow suit.
When Forsberg said those things yesterday, including the remarks he made about the finns playing ugly, there were hints of sarcasm and a smile on his face. He knows that he played a pretty ugly game himself, hes the first one to tell you that.

So, dont go mentioning an old, biggoted dinosaur in the same sentence as a former great that dosnt take himself to seriously.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
There was no twinkle or spark in Forsbergs eyes when he he made those comments about Canada at the sochi games, there was only pure anger and hatred.

He's got issues that I would argue are deeper then any Cherry has.

You just know forsberg has a serious beef with Canada,he has provcen he does.And it seems Finland is in the mix too.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Eh, no, Forsberg's not like Cherry, please.. When Don Cherry says something like that, theres no spark or twinkle in his eyes - he actually believes it, and a lot of his followers follow suit.

It's there, you may choose not to see it.

I've actually met him and he's not like the persona at all in person.

He's very warm and gracious.

It's all an act that you are apparently falling for.

For example, he can pronounce the European names, he mispronounces them for comedic effect.

So, dont go mentioning an old, biggoted dinosaur in the same sentence as a former great that dosnt take himself to seriously.

When it comes to being controversial, they're both dipping into that pool.

You don't want to see it but too bad.

Obviously Forsberg was a much better hockey player than Cherry ever was.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
O.k, we will switch hate for dislike then.

It's no secret most European hockey fans don't particuarly care for Canada in hockey. Wayne wasn't wrong in that interview, he was actually spot on.

It's to be expected and does not bother us very much, it's o.k
Agree here. But if it was a dislike, it was due to style of play. No one really dislike or hate team Canada now. This would change once canadians start playing dirty again. I dont know whether he was wrong or not. But in that times, from czech perspective, I didnt get it. Only thing I feel he hated us/ or lets say really didnt like us. Hard to understand to it from culture where you shake hands after every match.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Only thing I feel he hated us/ or lets say really didnt like us. Hard to understand to it from culture where you shake hands after every match.

When Gretzky said his "they hate us" speech he was really speaking from the fact that everyone wanted to see Canada lose - kind of like the New England Patriots.

No one actually hated them on a personal level, it was more about rivalry and the desire to beat Canada.

It's funny to see people saying that people are misinterpreting Forsberg's comments wrong because they don't speak Swedish, when I've seen people over the years do the same thing with respect to Gretzky's comments in Salt Lake City.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Agree here. But if it was a dislike, it was due to style of play. No one really dislike or hate team Canada now. This would change once canadians start playing dirty again. I dont know whether he was wrong or not. But in that times, from czech perspective, I didnt get it. Only thing I feel he hated us/ or lets say really didnt like us. Hard to understand to it from culture where you shake hands after every match.
We're o.k with it, there was a time Canadian fans pretty much despised czech hockey because they dived all the time, they have really cleaned that stuff up and we don't really look at them the way they used to be anymore.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We're o.k with it, there was a time Canadian fans pretty much despised czech hockey because they dived all the time, they have really cleaned that stuff up and we don't really look at them the way they used to be anymore.

I have nothing but admiration for the Czechs (and Slovaks) and what they did in 1998 - they beat our best fair and square when it counted.

They also put up some World Championships and World Junior tournaments Gold medals around the same time.

At that stage in history, they were the best hockey nation on Earth. Hasek certainly is the best goalie of all time.

Didn't last, and I'm wondering whether they'll ever challenge for that title again.

If there was a negative view of the Czechs, it was probably that we'd see some great offensive players in the NHL play extremely conservatively and passively in the Czech system which emphasized team defence. We felt that they weren't able to really use their skills to their potential, but hey, it was effective a lot of the time.

The other Czech team I really admired was the 2004 World Cup team where Jagr was a beast in that semi-final game. I think it was Lecavalier who won it in OT but that was a hell of a battle.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
When Gretzky said his "they hate us" speech he was really speaking from the fact that everyone wanted to see Canada lose - kind of like the New England Patriots.

No one actually hated them on a personal level, it was more about rivalry and the desire to beat Canada.

It's funny to see people saying that people are misinterpreting Forsberg's comments wrong because they don't speak Swedish, when I've seen people over the years do the same thing with respect to Gretzky's comments in Salt Lake City.
Well, we speak both languages, so its harder for us to misinterpritate english i guess...

If thats true and that Don is only playing a biggoted, almost racist fool, while telling little kids to listen to him - its almost worse IMO.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If thats true and that Don is only playing a biggoted, almost racist fool, while telling little kids to listen to him - its almost worse IMO.

What's disappointing is that you have such a low expectation of Canadians being able to see him as primarily an entertainer with the occasional flash of hockey insight.

He's 84 years old.

We'll see how well Peter Forsberg's insights are welcomed/perceived when he's at that age.

I can guarantee he'll still be talking to whomever will listen.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I have nothing but admiration for the Czechs (and Slovaks) and what they did in 1998 - they beat our best fair and square when it counted.

They also put up some World Championships and World Junior tournaments Gold medals around the same time.

At that stage in history, they were the best hockey nation on Earth. Hasek certainly is the best goalie of all time.

Didn't last, and I'm wondering whether they'll ever challenge for that title again.

If there was a negative view of the Czechs, it was probably that we'd see some great offensive players in the NHL play extremely conservatively and passively in the Czech system which emphasized team defence. We felt that they weren't able to really use their skills to their potential, but hey, it was effective a lot of the time.

The other Czech team I really admired was the 2004 World Cup team where Jagr was a beast in that semi-final game. I think it was Lecavalier who won it in OT but that was a hell of a battle.
There is no question they were the best in the world at that time and had earned the title of heavyweight champ. I used to admire their teams from the czechoslovakia era before that also with Druzilla and nedomansky and of course the Stastny brothers.............they had great teams and talent, I go way back with the czechs.

They did use to dive like crazy in an earlier era though, it was a tactic with them there is no denying that and every fan of International hockey here in Canada that I knew used to hate them for it but thats mostly all gone now because they cleaned up their act that way.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They did use to dive like crazy in an earlier era though, there is no denying that and every fan of International hockey here in Canada that I knew used to hate them for it but thats mostly all gone now because they cleaned up their act that way.

Well, it's kind of like MMA where the various styles of play have really coalesced into a pretty singular style that is not unfamiliar to anyone.

Every nation can play physically, skate, play team defence, forecheck, etc.

Not to mention, the NHL exposes players from all over the world to audiences.

It used to be a clash of styles and philosophies but it's really not like that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad