Olympics: Peter Forsberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
When I heard that Forsberg was going to commentate during the Olympics I assumed he would be another milquetoast ex-player. Instead he's managed to accuse Finland of playing not hard but dirty which made Kimmo Timonen reply that Forsberg should shut up! Kimmo added that Forsberg was one of the dirtiest player and was often a few seconds late with his bodychecks so he should just shut his mouth.

Then Forsberg declared that he hates Canada and they are whiny and win when they don't deserve it and are also dirty. Although he did add that they manage to get that goal in the last minutes and somehow manage to win. He's obviously not forgiven them for the WJC that just finished and also the WJC he played way, way back. :laugh:

Man, he's hilarious and I can't wait what else he's going to say, He's even decent at

analysing the play. :popcorn:

Also that Leif Boork wanted to sit him for a game because he was late but that the rest of the team refused to accept it.

Last edited:

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
He said that he hates them (tongue in cheek) because they have a winner instinct and always find a way to win whether it's by running people over or having luck with refs, but they always do it. It was more of a compliment in my opinion.

True, but he did say they were whiners. But as you said, very much tongue in cheek, as was his Finland comments. Just fun with a commentator who isn't afraid to say what he thinks. And Forsberg has always said what he thinks. Which is refreshing.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
True, but he did say they were whiners. But as you said, very much tongue in cheek, as was his Finland comments. Just fun with a commentator who isn't afraid to say what he thinks. And Forsberg has always said what he thinks. Which is refreshing.
Yeah, but I think he meant that whining could be one of many ways to come out with a win, not that they are whiners. But yes I agree, he's not afraid to speak his mind which is absolutely refreshing.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Maybe I'm being a homer, but Forsberg has always managed to have an above average personality (as a hockey person), without giving off d0uche vibes like guys like Jagr and Ovechkin often do. They often come off as narcissists when talking about themselves and hockey while Forsberg seems to say things more matter-of-factly or with obvious humor.

Other guys I get the same Forsberg vibe from are Selänne and Roenick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The guy has had something against Canada ever since losing to them at that WJC, it's no secret he hates them, guy was a great player but is a well known sore loser right back to his days in the swedish elite league, he is tough to take on a personal level.

funny thing here is to watch people talk about "context" and "tongue in cheek" , "personality" and "speaking his mind"with his comments about Finland and Canada here, were this Don Cherry making those kind of comments about Russia and Finland and others I suspect everyone would be all over him, in fact I know they would.

Well Don speaks his mind and has personality doesn't he?

But it's Peter Forsberg so it's o.k.

Reactions: mattihp

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
funny thing here is to watch people talk about "context" and "tongue in cheek" , "personality" and "speaking his mind"with his comments about Finland and Canada here, were this Don Cherry making those kind of comments about Russia and Finland and others I suspect everyone would be all over him, in fact I know they would.
If you haven't seen the video, don't talk.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If you haven't seen the video, don't talk.
Show me the video then.

I know forsberg, he's mouthed off about Canada in the past just like his old man was crying about us in the World cup in 1996......so I'll talk thank you very much.

you don't like it?...........too bad.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The guy has had something against Canada ever since losing to them at that WJC, it's no secret he hates them, guy was a great player but is a well known sore loser right back to his days in the swedish elite league, he is tough to take on a personal level.

Somebody is really getting protective here. Why? Because that's how Canadians get what they desire?

Everybody knows what Don Cherry is. And his fan club is quite alive and kicking.

It's more like Canadians have a problem with Non-Canadians having their Don now, isn't it?

Both Cherry and Forsberg are as subjective and emotional as it gets. Nonetheless sometimes one or both of them can be right about something.

And the fun factor is definitely there listening to those two instead of the dull talking suits you couldn't remember the name of.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Somebody is really getting protective here. Why? Because that's how Canadians get what they desire?

Everybody knows what Don Cherry is. And his fan club is quite alive and kicking.

It's more like Canadians have a problem with Non-Canadians having their Don now, isn't it?

Both Cherry and Forsberg are as subjective and emotional as it gets. Nonetheless sometimes one or both of them can be right about something.

And the fun factor is definitely there listening to those two instead of the dull talking suits you couldn't remember the name of.

This is rich coming from you of all people. Had he said anything of the sort about Russia you would want him hung from some tree in the Urals. But Peter is saying something about Canada, naturally you would defend him!! You are Atas2000, nothing less would be expected from you, HFboards own Russian Don Cherry.

Peter wants to mouth off about Canada and other countries, that's fine, but then people shouldn't turn around and give Don a hard time for the same thing.

anyway, you are saying both are refreshing so at least you are consistent here.

The guy can say want he wants, Sweden is a great free country,...............and so can don, thats my point.

Last edited:

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Show me the video then.

I know forsberg, he's mouthed off about Canada in the past just like his old man was crying about us in the World cup in 1996......so I'll talk thank you very much.

you don't like it?...........too bad.
It's in Swedish, but here you go:

I'm not defending Forsberg's past comments about Canada. I'm talking about this specific comment and it really is a non-story.

Last edited:
Reactions: FVM and jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's in Swedish, but here you go:

I'm not defending Forsberg's past comments about Canada. I'm talking about this specific comment and it really is a non-story.

I'll get a swedish friend of mine to translate it it for me, thanks.

Peter can say want he wants, he is at liberty to, my point was that if it was a certain someone else I don't think a lot of people would be talking about Context or personality,they usually slam the guy for it, they get all"social justice warrior"

I know Forsberg, I know his comments from the past and I know as a competitor he was a hothead,it's part of what made him a great player.

I just had a point to make thats all.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
The Finnish comments were actually funnier as were the Finnish replies.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

I think the difference is Peter has tons of Canadian (and Russian, Finnish, American etc) friends and has said numerous times how much he looked up to and respected guys like Gretzky, Lemieux and Sakic, which leads you to take his comments with a grain of salt.

The same can't be said in reverse about Cherry, there's actual vitriol in his comments about Europeans. Seriously, the guy has been involved in the NHL in one capacity or another for over 40 years without making a single European friend. That's really odd, and he's not at all comparable to Forsberg or any other outspoken former player.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think the difference is Peter has tons of Canadian (and Russian, Finnish, American etc) friends and has said numerous times how much he looked up to and respected guys like Gretzky, Lemieux and Sakic, which leads you to take his comments with a grain of salt. The same can't be said in reverse about Cherry, there's actual vitriol in his comments about Europeans.

Peter has made statements with vitriol against Canada in the past and Cherry has said he has respected certain European players in the past.

I guess there is not much of a difference between those two guys after all.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I like the honesty, even if I disagree with him, would love to see more people saying what they really think instead of "yeah they were great competitors, I tip my hat to them."

Reactions: LiveeviL

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
This is rich coming from you of all people. Had he said anything of the sort about Russia you would want him hung from some tree in the Urals.

The problem with people like you is you don't know what common decency and level headed staying withthe facts is. Your doublethink is amazing.

So you are trying to tell me what I would do? So you are trying to put words in my mouth I never said. If you only had the decency to quote me about Cherry(or Forsberg)... That's not how you do things, right?

But Peter is saying something about Canada, naturally you would defend him!!

:laugh: I defend him? You seem to read your wishful thinking into every word you... is that still reading when you misread every sentence?

Get a grip. I said both Cherry and Forserg are more enteratining than the majority of the so called and self declared analysts.

You are Atas2000, nothing less would be expected from you, HFboards own Russian Don Cherry.

I don't own one suit that would rival Cherry's wardrobe.

Peter wants to mouth off about Canada and other countries, that's fine, but then people shouldn't turn around and give Don a hard time for the same thing.

People can go out and give a hard time. It's called opinions. You are the one who is defending Cherry for whatever reason here. You are the one who can't take Forsberg's subectiveness with a smirk. And of Forsberg mouthing off is fine, than why did you start the whole thing in the first place?

anyway, you are saying both are refreshing so at least you are consistent here.

The guy can say want he wants, Sweden is a great free country,...............and so can don, thats my point.

They are entertaining. In a circus way. At least Don dresses accordingly.

And h now it's all fine with Forsberg, but you used the opportunity to take a shot at my uncomfrtable opinions. I get it.;)

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
jj cale is just trying to derail the thread..

Think it's great that Forsberg has brought his weird persona with him to South Korea.

Last edited:

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Peter has made statements with vitriol against Canada in the past and Cherry has said he has respected certain European players in the past.

I guess there is not much of a difference between those two guys after all.

I doubt you even believe that yourself. As I said in my post there's a tangible difference between them.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The problem with people like you is you don't know what common decency and level headed staying withthe facts is. Your doublethink is amazing.

So you are trying to tell me what I would do? So you are trying to put words in my mouth I never said. If you only had the decency to quote me about Cherry(or Forsberg)... That's not how you do things, right?

:laugh: I defend him? You seem to read your wishful thinking into every word you... is that still reading when you misread every sentence?

Get a grip. I said both Cherry and Forserg are more enteratining than the majority of the so called and self declared analysts.

People can go out and give a hard time. It's called opinions. You are the one who is defending Cherry for whatever reason here. You are the one who can't take Forsberg's subectiveness with a smirk. And of Forsberg mouthing off is fine, than why did you start the whole thing in the first place?

And h now it's all fine with Forsberg, but you used the opportunity to take a shot at my uncomfrtable opinions. I get it.;)

Whatever you think man.
You better just concentrate on that hockey team of yours, you guys don't win this time and we might hear you've offed yourself. You guys have everything invested in this to try to bullshit everyone saying you are the best in the world if you win.........and you're the heavy faves.It's the only way you can win olympic gold in hockey and you know it.

Good luck Russian Don!!

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
When I heard that Forsberg was going to commentate during the Olympics I assumed he would be another milquetoast ex-player. Instead he's managed to accuse Finland of playing not hard but dirty which made Kimmo Timonen reply that Forsberg should shut up! Kimmo added that Forsberg was one of the dirtiest player and was often a few seconds late with his bodychecks so he should just shut his mouth.

Then Forsberg declared that he hates Canada and they are whiny and win when they don't deserve it and are also dirty. Although he did add that they manage to get that goal in the last minutes and somehow manage to win. He's obviously not forgiven them for the WJC that just finished and also the WJC he played way, way back. :laugh:

Man, he's hilarious and I can't wait what else he's going to say, He's even decent at

analysing the play. :popcorn:

Also that Leif Boork wanted to sit him for a game because he was late but that the rest of the team refused to accept it.

LOL.

Sounds hilarious.

Forsberg does have a great sense of humour I'll give him that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad