Olympics: Peter Forsberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Show me the video then.

I know forsberg, he's mouthed off about Canada in the past just like his old man was crying about us in the World cup in 1996......so I'll talk thank you very much.

you don't like it?...........too bad.

I was going to mention that he sounds like his father, though Peter's 2014 whining was much more similar to Kent's 1996 whining.

In any event, whether Forsberg's comments were dead serious or complete jokes (or the more realistic answer of somewhere in between) I think it's a good thing. Hockey has enough repetitive droning of the same old thoughts and cliches. Someone giving a more thorough, provocative opinion is absolutely preferable unless the opinion completely insane. I agree that there is a double standard with how some will view Forsberg's comments vs how they view Cherry's, but that's unavoidable for many in the world. At least Forsberg is interesting.

I read that CBC has hired Alexei Yashin to be part of the Canadian coverage of hockey at the Olympics. Men's hockey I assume, as I haven't seen him involve with the games the women have played. I would very much enjoy reading about his somewhat candid hockey thoughts along the lines of what Forsberg revealed.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I was going to mention that he sounds like his father, though Peter's 2014 whining was much more similar to Kent's 1996 whining.

In any event, whether Forsberg's comments were dead serious or complete jokes (or the more realistic answer of somewhere in between) I think it's a good thing. Hockey has enough repetitive droning of the same old thoughts and cliches. Someone giving a more thorough, provocative opinion is ab****ely preferable unless the opinion completely insane. I agree that there is a double standard with how some will view Forsberg's comments vs how they view Cherry's, but that's unavoidable for many in the world. At least Forsberg is interesting.

I read that CBC has hired Alexei Yashin to be part of the Canadian coverage of hockey at the Olympics. Men's hockey I assume, as I haven't seen him involve with the games the women have played. I would very much enjoy reading about his somewhat candid hockey thoughts along the lines of what Forsberg revealed.
CBC has hired yashin? wow.................I can't believe that, wonder what their rationale behind that was? this seems very odd.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
CBC has hired yashin? wow.................I can't believe that, wonder what their rationale behind that was? this seems very odd.

Alexei Yashin - CBC Media Centre

I assume that it is that the vast majority of the players in the tournament, unfortunately, come from European leagues and the KHL specifically and CBC doesn't have a lot of Canadians who are knowledgeable in that area. I seem to recall that Yashin had relatively good English. If you ignore the bad blood stemming from Ottawa it makes sense.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I assume that it is that the vast majority of the players in the tournament, unfortunately, come from European leagues and the KHL specifically and CBC doesn't have a lot of Canadians who are knowledgeable in that area. I seem to recall that Yashin had relatively good English. If you ignore the bad blood stemming from Ottawa it makes sense.
Ah yes, that makes sense, though one has to wonder if he has any better handle on guys from other leagues then the KHL players, probably not but since the KHL players will still make up so many of the players on teams of consequence his hiring still makes sense.

A little extra side work for Alexi, thats good, because even with that contract fleecing he managed to pull off to his benefit during his NHL career Carol Alt can't be too cheap to keep around!!

That is.................if she hasn't moved on to her next rich hockey player yet.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Got my first viewing of his work on the C.B.C this morning and if it is any indication don't expect any Forsberg type personality and be prepared to be dissapointed, he was as bland as melba toast.

His English is still very halting and he offered up absolutely nothing you and me couldnt have said better and with more edge and insight.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It's a common thing in Swedish broadcasting and media overall, implying how Canada is always playing dirty, are diving/embelleshing and always have the refs on their side. Personally I'm quite annoyed by this self-pity mentality. I hope it doesn't start carrying over to our players.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's a common thing in Swedish broadcasting and media overall, implying how Canada is always playing dirty, are diving/embelleshing and always have the refs on their side. Personally I'm quite annoyed by this self-pity mentality. I hope it doesn't start carrying over to our players.
Sadly it already has, witness Dahlins performance in his comments after the gold medal WJC game.

Can't win big games consistently with that attitude. That's got to be rooted out to increase performance and results in must win games for Sweden.

It's gotta go.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

The thought of Peter Forsberg commenting on other players diving is quite funny.

Reactions: mattihp

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Not trying to derail anything, if cherry was saying the things he said we would roast him.

My man, you are derailing the thread. All your comments are based on assumptions about the interview and poorly written translations, you really need to get over it.

Forsberg is mostly giving compliments to team Canada, what he's saying is that Canada always finds a way to win and kind of tongue in cheek 'hates' them for it.

Reactions: Trilliann

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Yashin should work on the women's games, having coached women himself.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
My man, you are derailing the thread. All your comments are based on assumptions about the interview and poorly written translations, you really need to get over it.

Forsberg is mostly giving compliments to team Canada, what he's saying is that Canada always finds a way to win and kind of tongue in cheek 'hates' them for it.

I don't know if you have been paying attention but i let it go long ago.

My man.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The thought of Peter Forsberg commenting on other players diving is quite funny.

I don't recall Forsberg saying such any such thing in particular. My post was regarding Swedish broadcasting and media in general.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Your comment 30 min ago indicates otherwise.

But what do I know anyway.

My comment 30 minutes ago was in response to a poster(who appears to be swedish nonetheless) that stated he was getting annoyed with all the stuff in their media that is always whining about Canada diving, refs helping them, etc.

We aren't allowed to reply to his comment? that is indicative of me somehow being obsessed with Forsbergs comments?

And the whole thread is about FORSBERGS COMMENTS, that is what is being discussed!! How am I derailing the thread talking about Forsbergs comments?

Please explain how you draw this conclusion.

Reactions: Signupnow

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
My comment 30 minutes ago was in response to a poster(who appears to be swedish nonetheless) that stated he was getting annoyed with all the stuff in their media that is always whining about Canada diving, refs helping them, etc.

We aren't allowed to reply to his comment? that is indicative of me somehow being obsessed with Forsbergs comments?

And the whole thread is about FORSBERGS COMMENTS, that is what is being discussed!! How am I derailing the thread talking about Forsbergs comments?

Please explain how you draw this conclusion.

I'll gladly explain.

Like 1/3 of the comments on this thread are from you, and all comments from yesterday are you drawing conclusions from Forsbergs statements based on mere assumptions and poor translations. In a interview from today Forsberg even further clarified that he hates team Canada because they always seem to find a way win, hence that Forsberg is a known for being extremely competitive and absolutely hates losing.

The way you derailed the discussion is because you've made false assumptions on what Forsberg actually said and meant, it's impossible for you to even know what was truly said and thus your comments and assumptions were useless since they didn' reflect on what was said and thus derailing the discussion. Since what Forsberg said was quite light hearted and tongue in cheek and you made it into something completely different. If cherry was saying he hated team Sweden because they always won in a light hearted manner (you can even tell it's light hearted since they're chuckling) you wouldn't roast him.

Your comment 30 min ago was a direct response to a user commenting on how swedes are whiny and uses excuses when we lose, presumably based on Forsbergs comments. And then you go on to build on that narrative, when infact Forsberg wasn't whining at all.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'll gladly explain.

Like 1/3 of the comments on this thread are from you, and all comments from yesterday are you drawing conclusions from Forsbergs statements based on mere assumptions and poor translations. In a interview from today Forsberg even further clarified that he hates team Canada because they always seem to find a way win, hence that Forsberg is a known for being extremely competitive and absolutely hates losing.

The way you derailed the discussion is because you've made false assumptions on what Forsberg actually said and meant, it's impossible for you to even know what was truly said and thus your comments and assumptions were useless since they didn' reflect on what was said and thus derailing the discussion since what Forsberg said was quite light hearted and tongue in cheek and you made it into something completely different. If cherry was saying he hated team Sweden because they always won in a light hearted manner (you can even tell it's light hearted since they're chuckling).

Your comment 30 min ago was a direct response to a user commenting on how swedes are whiny and uses excuses when we lose, presumably based on Forsbergs comments. And then you go on to build on that narrative, when infact Forsberg wasn't whining at all.

You don't get it.

The thread is about Peter Forsbergs comments, that is what is being discussed. You may not like or agree with my posts about his comments but they are about his comments!!!

Thats what is being discussed!! The o.p made the thread in hopes that it would be discussed, i am discussing it.

This makes me obsessed? to makes posts discussing his comments in a thread meant to discuss his comments?

So if people make numerous posts in the next habs GDT about the habs game are they obsessed with the game or the Habs? are they derailing that GDT?

You do know hf boards is a hockey discussion board where people make threads to discuss and then people discuss them right?

What am I doing wrong here? how am I derailing a thread about Peter forsbergs comments by making posts about his comments? I am not discussing literature, or music or the theory of relativity. I am discussing his comments as was meant to be from the thread subject!!

I don't want to offend you but you are not making any sense.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Maybe I'm being a homer, but Forsberg has always managed to have an above average personality (as a hockey person), without giving off d0uche vibes like guys like Jagr and Ovechkin often do. They often come off as narcissists when talking about themselves and hockey while Forsberg seems to say things more matter-of-factly or with obvious humor.

Other guys I get the same Forsberg vibe from are Selänne and Roenick.

I still remember his speech when he won the Art Ross lol he said something like, "Mario Lemieux probably would have won this but its too bad he had to trade away half his team." haha

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
You don't get it.

The thread is about Peter Forsbergs comments, that is what is being discussed. You may not like or agree with my posts about his comments but they are about his comments!!!

Thats what is being discussed!! The o.p made the thread in hopes that it would be discussed, i am discussing it.

This makes me obsessed? to makes posts discussing his comments in a thread meant to discuss his comments?

So if people make numerous posts in the next habs GDT about the habs game are they obsessed with the game or the Habs? are they derailing that GDT?

You do know hf boards is a hockey discussion board where people make threads to discuss and then people discuss them right?

What am I doing wrong here? how am I derailing a thread about Peter forsbergs comments by making posts about his comments? I am not discussing literature, or music or the theory of relativity. I am discussing his comments as was meant to be from the thread subject!!

I don't want to offend you but you are not making any sense.

No no no, you don't get what I'm saying.

My only problem with your comments and why I think you're comments were derailing was because you made comments on a interview where they were speaking a different language and your comments were based on assumptions that you made which were completely untrue.

I never called you obsessed, I simply clarified that you have to let go of these early assumptions you made about an interview.

I'll you an example

Let's say, a Russian posts about an Russian interview and gave a slight description about the interview, let's say that Datsyuk had said something about Sweden along the lines of 'i hate them'. And then I go on to comment on how his comments are a bad attitude and not acceptable while I infact had no clue what Datsyuk actually said about Sweden since I couldn't understand what Datsyuk said in the interview. My comments would be based on assumptions since I couldn't get any context to what he said. In that case I would be derailing a discussion since I had made a false assumption and I stayed true to that assumption and made several comments on how the comments from Datsyuk were wrong and if Zetterberg said that about Russia I would roast him. I would simply derail the discussion because I made incorrect assumptions based on a small description of the interview and thus derailing the thread since I gave the comments a meaning they never had because I never got the context.

That's all I'm trying to say here.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
No no no, you don't get what I'm saying.

My only problem with your comments and why I think you're comments were derailing was because you made comments on a interview where they were speaking a different language and your comments were based on assumptions that you made which were completely untrue.

I never called you obsessed, I simply clarified that you have to let go of these early assumptions you made about an interview.

I'll you an example

Let's say, a Russian posts about an Russian interview and gave a slight description about the interview, let's say that Datsyuk had said something about Sweden along the lines of 'i hate them'. And then I go on to comment on how his comments are a bad attitude and not acceptable while I infact had no clue what Datsyuk actually said about Sweden since I couldn't understand what Datsyuk said in the interview. My comments would be based on assumptions since I couldn't get any context to what he said. In that case I would be derailing a discussion since I had made a false assumption and I stayed true to that assumption and made several comments on how the comments from Datsyuk were wrong and if Zetterberg said that about Russia I would roast him. I would simply derail the discussion because I made incorrect assumptions based on a small description of the interview and thus derailing the thread since I gave the comments a meaning they never had because I never got the context.

That's all I'm trying to say here.

o.k i get ya.

Still, we can't say I am derailing anything by making posts about the subject. my earliest assumptions may have been off due to Peters past frumpy comments about Canada but I am not derailing anything commenting on the subject.

I still hold that Peter has some issues with Canada, it's pretty well documented and while people here may not like me to point it out it is still related to this subject and hence fair game to the thread.

The thread was meant to have people chime in on their thoughts on the matter and I have, i could be right and I could be wrong, it's an opinion but it's on subject.

Feel free to debate me on my opinion if you wish, because though Peter may have couched his "negative" comments about Canada and Finland in a somewhat flattering nature his past comments about Canada at least have not been done in such a manner so I question his sincerity here.

But this is all fair game for the thread would you not agree? it is on subject after all.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yashin should work on the women's games, having coached women himself.

I thought that too when I read his bio and saw his connection to the Russian women's team. I assume that CBC is 100% anticipating a Canada/USA showdown on the women's side though so they probably don't care. I dare say that Yashin knows more about the European women's teams than the regular CBC commentators do.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
when it comes to Hockey Canada is a monster like none other, no one ever stands a chance against in a best on best, ofc he hates us, everyone should hate us, we are so far above them that we can't see them when we look down. In Russia everyone was a joke to us, it simply doesn't matter what you do , you can not beat us.

Everyone hates the best

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
when it comes to Hockey Canada is a monster like none other, no one ever stands a chance against in a best on best, ofc he hates us, everyone should hate us, we are so far above them that we can't see them when we look down. In Russia everyone was a joke to us, it simply doesn't matter what you do , you can not beat us.

Everyone hates the best
But Forsberg beat canada more than ones. Especially in OG so youre wrong.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava

Everyone hates the best

really not sure if serious :laugh:

Reactions: Rorschach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad