Olympics: Peter Forsberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You thought of an excuse yet of why you lost that very important final game stacked whit NHL-players?..

Is it not parody? It's actually a bit funnier if it isn't. The logic of how you jumped from my post to posting about the 2017 IIHF World Championship really does escape me. Like most Canadians I wouldn't really deem that an "important" game but it is certainly a game that Sweden won. There is no excuse.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Is it not parody? It's actually a bit funnier if it isn't. The logic of how you jumped from my post to posting about the 2017 IIHF World Championship really does escape me. Like most Canadians I wouldn't really deem that an "important" game but it is certainly a game that Sweden won. There is no excuse.
Of course it only important if you won

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
And there it is ,the excuse.., the game is suddenly not "important".. This was a do or die final for the gold medal whit players on a skill level the olympic-teams arent close to and Canada lost to Sweden in the final.

Sweden beat Canada in the final. Canada was beaten in the final. The Nhl-players of Canada lost to the NHL-players of Sweden in a gold medal game, Sweden is the reigning world champions of hockey after beating Cananda in the final. Canada finished second to Sweden in the IIHF world champs of hockey 2017. The no1 world ranked team Canada lost to Sweden in the Worlds.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Of course it only important if you won

Wrong. It isn't an important tournament regardless of who wins it. You could argue that the 2005 edition was with no NHL season and thus almost all players available. You could argue that the tournament was important in the 70s (maybe some of the 60s and 80s) when almost all of the best non-Canadians played in the tournament. I've been quite consistent on this site that it isn't an important tournament, in years that Canada wins it and in years that Canada loses it. In fact, with a quick search I found me calling it a non-important tournament in 2016, after Canada won in 2015 and before Canada won in 2016 (and I am certain that I did so many more times):
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2016-team-canada-pt-ii.2070183/page-2#post-117448501

Here is a better one plus another from 2017, after Canada had won two consecutive tournaments but before Canada lost the 2017 tournament:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2017-team-canada.2081921/page-7#post-129741323

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2017-team-canada.2081921/page-5#post-128734363

I don't feel like combing through my whole post history, but that point is that you shouldn't assume that everyone is a biased child.

And there it is ,the excuse.., the game is suddenly not "important".. This was a do or die final for the gold medal whit players on a skill level the olympic-teams arent close to and Canada lost to Sweden in the final.

Sweden beat Canada in the final. Canada was beaten in the final. The Nhl-players of Canada lost to the NHL-players of Sweden in a gold medal game, Sweden is the reigning world champions of hockey after beating Cananda in the final. Canada finished second to Sweden in the IIHF world champs of hockey 2017. The no1 world ranked team Canada lost to Sweden in the Worlds.

The game isn't suddenly not important - it was always unimportant. I know that you think that you're rubbing salt into a wound, but there's no wound. I don't care that Sweden won that game. Good for Sweden, it was a deserved win. Inevitably Sweden will eliminate Canada in a best on best at some point and when that happens I will care. You might as well save your salt for that time.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I am not saying that Sweden lost that game due to a "loser mentality". I am aware that Canada had a much better roster. I do note that Sweden tends to underperform though, particularly at the junior level. Whether that is mentality is only speculation. I will give an example to show my point somewhat.

I expect that many with regard this as crazy, but I do think that one of Canada's biggest strengths in hockey is (or at least was) not making excuses in hockey. One of the best things that ever happened to Canada in hockey was the 1998 hockey summit when changes were made to the way that Canada developed players. What brought that on? Mainly, that Canada lost in the 1996 World Cup, the 1998 Olympics and the 1998 WJC. People were upset about those losses, and even though they were aware of the missing players (Lemieux/MacInnis/Bourque/Francis/Kariya in 1996, Kariya/Sakic/arguably Lemieux in 1998, Thornton/Marleau/Phillips/Devereaux/Morris at the WJC) the focus was on the reality that Canada lost. People cited Hasek for the 1998 Olympic loss (which is an exaggeration) but the focus was on why Canada was even in position to allow that to happen. No one was content to say that second in 1996 was fine due to the missing players, or losing the semifinal in a shootout was fine in 1998 because of the missing players, or losing the 1998 WJC was fine because Canada had just won five in a row or seven of the last eight and some players were missing. Changes were made because Canada lost.

Would Sweden make changes after what seemed like decent results? Would people demand changes? I don't know. Obviously expectations are different in Canada and in Sweden (and I know that Sweden had a summit of its own in the 2000s after a long run of bad results), but Canada focused more on the loss than on who was missing. To be fair I never noticed Swedish fans to be particularly focused on making an excuse (either explicitly or implicitly) because of who was missing prior to 2014. I also thought that Forsberg's comments in 2014 (whining about the refs before the game was even played) were a good sign for Canada. This is all just observation of course.

I realy dont know about the whining of the ref 2014. I dont even remember what i ate for lunch. But if its about refs being from Canada it would never be ok with a Swedish ref in a game between Sweden and Finland, so maby thats were it came from. Something unthinkable i our hockeyworld a no brainer in your. Thats not whining thats a hockeycultural clash. Personaly i belive nhl refs to be the most proffesional. But i understand the reaction.

Not making it in the wjc i can explain sort of. There is not so many do or die games for the juniors in Sweden so they are no used to that enviroment coming to the wjc. Thats a flaw with the youthleague system with games not being imortent enough. Swedes are more often latebloomers , why i have no ide..

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I realy dont know about the whining of the ref 2014. I dont even remember what i ate for lunch. But if its about refs being from Canada it would never be ok with a Swedish ref in a game between Sweden and Finland, so maby thats were it came from. Something unthinkable i our hockeyworld a no brainer in your. Thats not whining thats a hockeycultural clash. Personaly i belive nhl refs to be the most proffesional. But i understand the reaction.

Not making it in the wjc i can explain sort of. There is not so many do or die games for the juniors in Sweden so they are no used to that enviroment coming to the wjc. Thats a flaw with the youthleague system with games not being imortent enough. Swedes are more often latebloomers , why i have no ide..

It's all speculation in the end. I am interested in your theory proposed in the last paragraph. I don't recall hearing that before. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad