Peter Chiarelli Why Did You Trade Tayor Hall *****fest Bonanza!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Or... anything, really.

The only thing that's better about this team since he started is the center position, and he hardly had anything to do with that.

Plus, only 2/3 top centres play that position at any given time anyway.

space321

May 11, 2011
This is the "***** about Chia, Hall, Reinhart and Eberle trades, Strome, Lucic contract, why is Todd still coach, why did Russell get a NMC, why did we not use Sekera's LTIR $, I don't like Chia or his little dog either, etc. thread, however that thread title is a bit lengthy. If you'd like to vent or ***** about Chia and his moves or lack there of this is your thread not to be confused with every other ****ing thread on HFOil. Capiche?

It was the same topics in here before you changed the title. Dunno why you're so triggered over it.

Reactions: Aerrol

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
McDavid/Draisatl/RNH/Strome is excellent center depth but we're forced to cripple that because of our shoddy wingers.

And Brodziak has not been great out of the gate, at all.

Remember when people were saying we had to trade Nuge because you can't have a third liner making $6M a year? Those were the days.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Fact: Jordan Eberle didn't fill an integral role on the Oilers' roster. He doesn't even fill one on the Isles roster sans Tavares.
Fact: Jordan Eberle was a top twenty scorer in the league through his entire tenure with the Oilers. Jordan Eberle is #12 all time in Oilers scoring. Jordan Eberle is one of the few Oiler stars who lived up to his draft slot and earned his money. You may not consider putting the puck in the net an ‘integral role’ on a hockey team, but most everyone else who watches the game does.

I can’t believe the way posters who claim to hate this thread and all the ‘complaining’ (like sports fans ever forget their history, or ever stop bragging about the good and moaning about the bad - it’s what sports fans do, duh) are so frequently found in this thread unloading their thoughts on Hall, Eberle, Chiarelli etc in long winded and repetitive posts. It’s almost like they really do want to talk about Chiarelli and the long list of his massive f*** ups.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It was the same topics in here before you changed the title. Dunno why you're so triggered over it.
Because the same poster can't help himself from mindlessly repeating himself in other threads, knocking them off-topic. Even this can be a calm thread with the right people discussing the issues.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This is slightly OT, but it's never really been mentioned.

Jordan Eberle can be specifically be pointed out for setting the precedent for why the Edmonton Oilers routinely get blamed for the inflation of second contracts for these types of players--William Nylander being the most recent. Eberle literally had one season in this league where he produced like a legitimate top line forward. Year #2, 34-42-76 and a +4 as a 21 year old on a team that finished second last in the NHL.

In one year where a responsible team would force this player to earn his playing time to develop the weaker aspects of his game as an undersized forward, he was being spoon-fed top line minutes and primary PP assignments. Heralded as one of the three guys who were going to pull the Oilers out of the cellar, the Oilers mindlessly gave this player a massive $6m extension and then proceeded to use it as a benchmark to extend the rest of the hyped future Oiler trio. Beyond that one year, not one of these guys put up a year in the ELC that would've deemed them worthy of those $6m extension, yet each and every one of them never had to earn the opportunities they received to attempt to produce that offense.

Ancient history now, but if you're asking today why Todd McLellan isn't plugging Jesse Puljujarvi next to Connor McDavid and waiting--this is a pretty damn good reason. Why is Leon Draisaitl making so much money? His time next to Connor paired with his immediate comparable being that other Oilers center making $6m for putting up mediocre numbers for six seasons prior.

Big, big reason why these three guys were bad for business when Connor McDavid came along. They were getting paid like our best players, then they started getting outproduced and passed on the depth chart. I loved all these guys as Oilers, but you can't be making that kind of money if you're a guy who can't earn it. And as Oilers none of them did consistently.

Unfortunately for us that big three was mismanaged from day one thanks to a flash in the pan season from Jordan Eberle.
What a load of twaddle. This is some of the best twaddle I’ve ever read on hfoil. Well done. The Oilers contract structure went out the window when Shawn Freaking Horcoff got a six year 5.5 million dollar deal that paid him $7 million the first season. On what planet would you not be forced to pay all of Hall, RNH and Eberle more than that. You know these guys have agents, right? Nice twaddle post though.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Fact: Jordan Eberle was a top twenty scorer in the league through his entire tenure with the Oilers. Jordan Eberle is #12 all time in Oilers scoring. Jordan Eberle is one of the few Oiler stars who lived up to his draft slot and earned his money. You may not consider putting the puck in the net an ‘integral role’ on a hockey team, but most everyone else who watches the game does.

I can’t believe the way posters who claim to hate this thread and all the ‘complaining’ (like sports fans ever forget their history, or ever stop bragging about the good and moaning about the bad - it’s what sports fans do, duh) are so frequently found in this thread unloading their thoughts on Hall, Eberle, Chiarelli etc in long winded and repetitive posts. It’s almost like they really do want to talk about Chiarelli and the long list of his massive **** ups.
And he did this in a situation where he was leaned on as a primary point producer, getting primary PP assignments--every opportunity to create that production. The Edmonton Oilers post-McDavid draft weren't going to grant him those opportunities any longer, so the likelihood of him sustaining those numbers was zero.

The contract was always going to set a bad precedent for any young player who came in here and out-produced him (or any of the three), which was what inevitably happened with Leon Draisaitl.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And he did this in a situation where he was leaned on as a primary point producer, getting primary PP assignments--every opportunity to create that production. The Edmonton Oilers post-McDavid draft weren't going to grant him those opportunities any longer, so the likelihood of him sustaining those numbers was zero.

The contract was always going to set a bad precedent for any young player who came in here and out-produced him (or any of the three), which was what inevitably happened with Leon Draisaitl.
He still put up 50 points in his worst year playing a largely checking role next to RNH and Lucic.

You know who sets the bad precedent for contracts? The guy that gave Lucic 6x7, Russel 4x4, Sekera 5.5x5, Kassian 1.95x3...

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What a load of twaddle. This is some of the best twaddle I’ve ever read on hfoil. Well done. The Oilers contract structure went out the window when Shawn Freaking Horcoff got a six year 5.5 million dollar deal that paid him $7 million the first season. On what planet would you not be forced to pay all of Hall, RNH and Eberle more than that. You know these guys have agents, right? Nice twaddle post though.
Why do have to elevate every discussion to hostility? The discussion was moved in here because Soundwave routinely repeats himself in every thread. It happened in the Draisaitl thread yesterday, which is why the title was changed.

Seriously dude, grow up. This discussion can be had with out having a full blown argument.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This is the "***** about Chia, Hall, Reinhart and Eberle trades, Strome, Lucic contract, why is Todd still coach, why did Russell get a NMC, why did we not use Sekera's LTIR $, I don't like Chia or his little dog either, etc. thread, however that thread title is a bit lengthy. If you'd like to vent or ***** about Chia and his moves or lack there of this is your thread not to be confused with every other ****ing thread on HFOil. Capiche?
I mean if we’re throwing all the stuff that’s ‘over and done with’ in here, what about the guys who cry and moan about Draisaitl’s 8.5? Seen a lot of that going on in multiple threads.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
To me it seems like the title change is a petty jab and I would hope mods would have the maturity to not engage in that

Why not call it the all encompassing Chia thread? Or something similar.

To me calling it bitch fest labels anyone posting in here as bitching which automatically removes credibility from any discussion.

If people wanna complain about the GM why not let them without insulting them and their opinions?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He still put up 50 points in his worst year playing a largely checking role next to RNH and Lucic.

You know who sets the bad precedent for contracts? The guy that gave Lucic 6x7, Russel 4x4, Sekera 5.5x5, Kassian 1.95x3...
Those are examples of contracts signed out of unrestricted free agency--minus the Kassian one, which is essentially just an overpaid depth forward. The contracts I'm speaking of are all second contracts signed out of RFA. The Bergeron situation is different because he's a player whose been with the team his entire career and it's essentially built around him. Nobody on that roster was ever going to blow his contract out of the water.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Those are examples of contracts signed out of unrestricted free agency--minus the Kassian one, which is essentially just an overpaid depth forward. The contracts I'm speaking of are all second contracts signed out of RFA. The Bergeron situation is different because he's a player whose been with the team his entire career and it's essentially built around him. Nobody on that roster was ever going to blow his contract out of the water.
Fair enough but the GMs of this team have almost never gotten fair value out of contracts regardless of when they're signed. Hall at 6 was probably the best one. Everything else? Meh.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Fair enough but the GMs of this team have almost never gotten fair value out of contracts regardless of when they're signed. Hall at 6 was probably the best one. Everything else? Meh.
No disagreement there. Our market has been a curse for an eternity. Getting Connor McDavid was a blessing, but with those contracts still lying around, it was going to be difficult keeping the asks down for players who come in and light it up like Draisaitl ultimately did.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Seriously dude, grow up. This discussion can be had with out having a full blown argument
What do you expect me to post when you are in here excusing and justifying Chiarelli’s big six blunders with gems like ‘Eberle broke the salary cap’, and ‘DK wasn’t really an elite dman’?

Reactions: oilWILDcountry

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Yeah because their winger depth was so great?

No one held a gun to their head to make them play LD with McDavid and artificially inflate his counting numbers and second contract.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t know Drivesaitl I think Edmonton has a lot of people with money. I go to restaurants and they are full and people are spending lots of money on drinks and food. I look around just my neighborhood (or even just driving around Edmonton) and everyone has a luxory car. Audi’s, Mercedes, BMWs, Porches. I even seen a couple Lambo’s and a Bentley just recently. A lot of these cars are driven by kids (late teens and early 20s).

Everywhere you look people are wearing designer clothes. How many women have purse’s that are a grand or more? I see lots.

What you describe here is often gang and drug money related, just saying. Occasionally its from Software producers and such, but often Gangs. We have more criminals, more gangs, more drug trafficking per capita than anywhere in Canada.

Another source of money would be immigrant rich and wealthy coming here, not just the Lower mainland where that happens. Toronto gets tons of it too. We get immigration that wants to be near family or in neighbornoods with comfortable concentrations of nationals. Canada in general is an increasingly popular immigration target for those with money.

Stock markets are not really that up right now. Continues to be a ton of turmoil in the market.

All the indices indicate increased living beyond means. Increased debt, increased spending, increased taxation (enormous in Edmonton with all levels of Govt)

I'm older so I've seen the patterns before. A lot of the spenders have already been impacted. A lot of analysts say it often takes years from downward spirals to see the real economic hurt. When the accrued money runs out scenarios because people are not making the same incomes or debt levels are expanding.

Things I haven't mentioned are increased intergenerational reliance on funds. Kids spending their parents or families money and livng at home to age 30. Often times that disposable income is not their own.

The young people driving fancy rides is an anomaly. Most young people today don't even purchase a vehicle. Which is smart actually. But increasingly the funds are eaten up by increased spending on tech devices, entertainment, and travel. Saving, apparently, is a thing of the past. Spend now is the message with younger generations. Its a problem.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Does anyone truly believe Chia isn’t here for the full year regardless of what happens? I still remember the emergency Nicholson press conference to announce that chia isn’t going anywhere and to be patient because there’s a plan and we will all be happy once we see it. What are the odds we get one of the best players of all time and worst management group of all time, at the exact same time.....

Reactions: harpoon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To me it seems like the title change is a petty jab and I would hope mods would have the maturity to not engage in that

Why not call it the all encompassing Chia thread? Or something similar.

To me calling it ***** fest labels anyone posting in here as *****ing which automatically removes credibility from any discussion.

If people wanna complain about the GM why not let them without insulting them and their opinions?

I really appreciate this being stated, thanks, and it shouldn't be occurring, that is clear. Obviously fans of this org are going to discuss and have concerns with the biggest and worst trade happening of this org in decades. People and posts shouldn't be labeled because of it. Any fanbase would be complaining about this trade for years. Especially in the advent of the traded being league MVP.

Reactions: Aerrol and harpoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad