GDT: Peter Chiarelli Media Availability

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
On a beach in Cabo, a cellphone rings. A man in a cabana sets down his mai tai and answers.

"Hello? Goddammit Peter! I told you three times already: I don't work for the Islanders anymore! You want to make a trade, you have to call Lou."

In a dark cave in the depths of the Prudential Centre, Lou Lamirello's eyes suddenly snap open. A rictus of a grin spreads across his face as his jaw unhinges to swallow a rat. "This is but an appetizer," the creature thinks. "soon I dine on an altogether fatter, slower beast."

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In fairness to Tambellini, he was brought here to basically tank, that was fairly obvious after failing to get players like Hossa and Heatley to come here, that he was given marching orders to load up on high draft picks.

And he did that, not really his fault it was Nail Yakupov and Ryan Nugent Hopkins he got to go with Taylor Hall instead of John Tavares and Connor McDavid.

That's just bad luck, if it had worked out that way, a lot of people would probably be calling him a genius.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
In fairness to Tambellini, he was brought here to basically tank, that was fairly obvious after failing to get players like Hossa and Heatley to come here, that he was given marching orders to load up on high draft picks.

And he did that, not really his fault it was Nail Yakupov and Ryan Nugent Hopkins he got to go with Taylor Hall instead of John Tavares and Connor McDavid.

That's just bad luck, if it had worked out that way, a lot of people would probably be calling him a genius.
Tambo was hired to be tank master and he was indeed the master of the tank. I have no ill feelings towards him.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015

Yes bad luck on tanking during no generational players, but Who else did he draft that did anything...no one, wasted years of rebuilding with no hits outside of 1st overall picks

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Tambo didn't even want Yakupov. Katz forced his way into that one.

But the general point is valid. We suffered for a long long time to build up to something that might have a shot at being competitive, much like the now powerhouse Winnipeg Jets were doing.

Then Chia traded for Reinhart and Larsson.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

But the general point is valid. We suffered for a long long time to build up to something that might have a shot at being competitive, much like the now powerhouse Winnipeg Jets were doing.

And Strome!

Reactions: harpoon

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

and used the Eberle trade capspace on a 4x4 NTC Russell contract.

But where's my offensive Dman?!?! - Peter Chiarelli.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes bad luck on tanking during no generational players, but Who else did he draft that did anything...no one, wasted years of rebuilding with no hits outside of 1st overall picks

Well not even generational, virtually any other combination of three 1st overalls in a row minus the Yakupov and RNH years gets you a really loaded core.

Stamkos + Tavares + Hall would've been the three no.1 overalls prior, MacKinnon + Ekblad + McDavid are the three no.1 overalls after Yakupov, lol we had to land straight in the middle of 2/3 poor draft years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Steve Tambellini's disastrous trading record as Edmonton Oilers' GM put the club in a deep hole

Tambellini was also bad at his job.

We don't need to defend one meathead to make another meathead look worse.

Chia doesn't need any help with that.

They'll be plenty of articles like that for Chiarelli once he's done here too I'm sure, written years down the line.

Steve Tambellini was hired also to initiate a scorched earth rebuild that would rely on picking high in the draft.

Peter Chiarelli was hired to build a Cup contender around McDavid similar to what Crosby had in Pittsburgh.

Only one of these two is even close to doing their intended job going into year 4.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
didn't watch.
did anyone ask him about how it feels to have traded a Hart winner for pennies on the dollar?

What about passing up on the Calder trophy winner for a scrub who everybody in the world knew wouldn't be an NHL player? The Hall trade was an insta-fire offence, don't get me wrong, but lets not forget about this buffoons other glaring mistakes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For clarity we just got confirmation, from Chia, that Lucic has requested a trade. In this presser. The same Chia play thing that was going to replace Taylor Hall here. We just heard that. That shit just got real and confirmed. So that we get Lucic instead of Hall and now the ignominy of a predicted Lucic buyout. Only sooner rather than later.

Then we get to be chastised by fellow fans expecting there not to be a reaction and that its "illogical" here.

Being a fan of this team is illogical. Thank you for those that describe the water we're drowning in. (sarcasm, metophorically)

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
The only good thing i can say about Chia, is our drafting has gone from the worst in the league to average. The rest well....

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Steve Tambellini's disastrous trading record as Edmonton Oilers' GM put the club in a deep hole

Tambellini was also bad at his job.

We don't need to defend one meathead to make another meathead look worse.

Chia doesn't need any help with that.

Yeah. It's kind of astounding, our run of GMs. I know a lot of people are mad at our coaching selections too, but tbh, only Eakins is truly historically bad. McLellan has issues with adapting and line matching, but frankly I think he's still an NHL-level coach. Renney, Krueger, Nelson, all had their warts, but I don't think were that far off of the NHL 'average' level of coaching as far as I can tell at the very least. Only Eakins during this rebuild was truly historically bad.

But the Oilers? Lowe, followed by MacT, followed by Chiarelli. How the f*** did we end up with THREE IN A ROW that can very easily be named the worst GM in the league during their tenure?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
For clarity we just got confirmation, from Chia, that Lucic has requested a trade. The same Chia play thing that was going to replace Hall here. We just heard that.

Then we get to be chastised by fellow fans expecting there not to be a reaction and that its "illogical" here.

Being a fan of this team is illogical. Thank you for those that describe the water we're drowning in. (sarcasm, metophorically)

Ol Stauffer is gonna be on air with Chiarelli at 1:05 yay.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yup such nonsense, Hall gutted it out for this team for many losing seasons, still willing to drive face first into the net to get a goal, and was still absolutely devastated to be traded and he's painted as the "bad guy".

Meanwhile "all around character, super duper leader" Milan Lucic is asking for a trade out after year 2 here after totally giving up for 50 straight games.

**** off with that character nonsense.

Yup, couldn't agree more. Hall was nothing but a class act (as has Lucic been to be honest), and was heart-broken to be trader (for pennies on the dollar by idiot-Chia). I like Lucic, and think he'll have a bounce back year next season, and also have ZERO faith in idiot-Chia making a good trade, but Hall is (obviously) 10 times the player that Lucic is. The sad thing is that idiot-Chia actually thought that Lucic would replace most of Hall's offence.

How does idiot-Chia have a job still again?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They'll be plenty of articles like that for Chiarelli once he's done here too I'm sure, written years down the line.

Steve Tambellini was hired also to initiate a scorched earth rebuild that would rely on picking high in the draft.

Peter Chiarelli was hired to build a Cup contender around McDavid similar to what Crosby had in Pittsburgh.

Only one of these two is even close to doing their intended job going into year 4.
thats why he signed Belanger, Eager, Foster, Barker ?
hired and fired Quinn, Renny and Krueger?
tried to trade for Heatley?

Tambo tried and failed to make the team better and was fired for an even more incompetent GM

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was there a Q&A? Our media seem to have perfect platforms to ask questions and then a week later they bring something up that should've been brought up during that previous time.

Like what are you gaining from buying out Gryba? And actually follow it up with another question like "don't you think you did him a favour by overpaying for a year already?"

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
"Sometimes you desperately need a right-shot offensive dman with huge upside, but he unfortunately has had concussions and is european, so you gotta pass. It's the price you gotta pay, or something"

Stauffer: Whataya think about Ty Smith?!
Chiarelli: He's a good kid.. uh.. Alberta born.. uh..great character.. leadership qualities.. fellow teammate of Yamamoto.. yeah..

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Ok, I bet.

But it's really unnecessary to be a revisionist like you're being

Saying Tambo just had bad luck? No. He sucked. Chia sucks. They all suck. They all were bad at their job.

Last edited:
Reactions: OilDrop37

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
For clarity we just got confirmation, from Chia, that Lucic has requested a trade. In this presser. The same Chia play thing that was going to replace Taylor Hall here. We just heard that. That **** just got real and confirmed. So that we get Lucic instead of Hall and now the ignominy of a predicted Lucic buyout. Only sooner rather than later.

You made your point, several times. I clarified what I meant if you bothered to read it, I wasn't chastising the fanbase to make long story short. However you want to interpret it is up to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad