Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli [Gregor: Presser Tomorrow? Ward: Staffing Update Come Morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Don't you think he should have used class and respect on at least a half dozen occasions during his tenure? When he had the chance to do so most often he did not. He is already getting way more than he truly deserves, way way way better hockey people have had their ***** fired out the door unceremoniously.

No, sorry I have a long memory and in the end you are accountable for your actions long term. People didn't force him to operate the way he did, people didn't force him to make the decisions he made.

It's far more disingenuous to falsely treat him all nicey nice now after he is leaving, or at least leaving one part of the team.

people let him get away with being a jerk and excused it as passion.

he was pretty disrespectful of tier II fans like myself. So I owe him nothing, just like he said he owed me nothing.

reap what you sow, and all that.
I still respect his hockey playing career, though.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I wanted Lowe (and MacT) gone but I will definitely show respect. Kevin Lowe has bled blue and orange. Nobody tries to fail on purpose.....Lowe tried but was unsuccessful. There is no shame in that.

I hope all Oiler fans show some class and respect the man. This is just sports at the end of the day. Not life and death. Give away what you most wish to receive. The best people lift people up versus tear people down

I respect your point but the simple fact is he was horrible and arrogant as well at his job. Hockey is a multi million dollar operation and he collected a pay check for being one of the worst ever at his job. Any other person would have been fired 5 times over for being as bad as he was at his job.

I will respect his hockey career but not his last ten years in this business.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
I'm not going to lie, I'm going to miss the draft lottery.
While the rest of the league is forced to watch playoff hockey, we got to watch Bill Daley open envelopes and stutter through team names.

I'm afraid with the new regime, we'll be forced to watch hockey in late April as well. :(

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
wonder what his business role will be. I don't remember him having any practical or useful business experience.

It might be on the operating side of the Condors and Oil kings. He's done alot of work in that over the years. Gregor has been saying all week that for the last few years Lowe has been working mostly on the business side of things anyways.

Ssseth

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton
While the rest of the league is forced to watch playoff hockey, we got to watch Bill Daley open envelopes and stutter through team names.

I'm afraid with the new regime, we'll be forced to watch hockey in late April as well. :(
No doubt. April and June is way too hot for hockey.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Don't worry, you can relive this over and over again:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, not sure what's going on with this station

Last night when the Chiarelli rumors were swirling Strudwick had a guy on to talk about the Minnesota Vikings offseason strategy flowed by some dude to talk champions league soccer. I like Strudwick, but come on.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver

It's like some long term prisoners. They are in prison so long and used to it that they don't even want to be out in the real world and usually go back on purpose lol.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Might have missed this, but can we watch this online somewhere?

There's supposed to be an internal meeting/conference call that will happen at 9. They don't want to broadcast that moron being moved from position to position. Out of respect to the horrible job he did here in Edmonton.

It's embarrassing. We'll have a press conference for MacT to tell everyone how much he enjoyed the last episode of How I Met Your Mother, but when it comes to his friend's firing, it's behind closed doors.

**** off. We fans deserve this. I want to see the chicken's head get cut off. I want retributive justice here.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The fans in general aren't the most respectful bunch, so I don't think that will happen. Spector isn't wrong though.

Completely respect him as a player....he bled orange and Blue.
His passion was a perfect fit on the ice.

Off the ice in a Management role he allowed his passion to preempt common sense and good judgement. He had 1 good season as a GM and it was a good one. That was the end of his successful run at GM. It was over.

Today's move is 2 years too late but better late than never.
Lowe used up a lot of good will while in Management but the recent Pocklington reunion proved that in time fans will forgive anything.

Lowe will not be missed but he will be respected for the good that he did a few decades ago.

In the end I am not at all surprised that Katz is continuing to shelter Lowe but I am very happy that he is no longer a decision maker in Hockey Ops.

This is a very good time to be an Oiler fan. Lowes removal is the cherry on top of the sundae that has been this past week.

Ssseth

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton
It's like some long term prisoners. They are in prison so long and used to it that they don't even want to be out in the real world and usually go back on purpose lol.

brooks-was-here.jpg

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
It's best just to let it go. Lowe absolutely deserves criticism but not all criticism. Elliotte tweeted earlier that Lowe wanted to step down but Katz wouldn't let him. Katz is Palpatine.

Even as a GM you cant take 2006 away from Lowe. He did some great work that season and in the right situation maybe he could have turned this thing around. Obviously that didnt happen and this organization needs fresh ideas on the hockey side.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
Yikes...
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 2m2 minutes ago

Kevin Lowe is one of the finest people I know, and one of the truly great Oilers, all-time. Hope fans show respect today.

^^^This^^^

Regardless of how the majority of posters feel about Kevin Lowe he was never out to hurt this team. He blead copper and blue and did it in a very tough market. I know for one that if i had to drive home from work everyday and had to drive past a billboard that was calling for my head it would take its toll.

Fact is that had Lowe not held Katz's hand for the last 10 years or so there might not even be Edmonton Oiler hockey or fancy new downtown development. So as Spector has pointed out, be respectfull.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Lowe made some mistakes as a hands on GM, but all things considered I think he performed OK considering his limitations.

As POHO, he blew it hard and deserves nothing but criticism.

I generally find it best to just be the bigger man and be happy we are getting what we wanted.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
^^^This^^^

Regardless of how the majority of posters feel about Kevin Lowe he was never out to hurt this team. He blead copper and blue and did it in a very tough market. I know for one that if i had to drive home from work everyday and had to drive past a billboard that was calling for my head it would take its toll.

Fact is that had Lowe not held Katz's hand for the last 10 years or so there might not even be Edmonton Oiler hockey or fancy new downtown development. So as Spector has pointed out, be respectfull.

The last few years have been difficult, but I know he had good intentions. Regardless, I am ecstatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad