Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli [Gregor: Presser Tomorrow? Ward: Staffing Update Come Morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I wanted Lowe (and MacT) gone but I will definitely show respect. Kevin Lowe has bled blue and orange. Nobody tries to fail on purpose.....Lowe tried but was unsuccessful. There is no shame in that.

I hope all Oiler fans show some class and respect the man. This is just sports at the end of the day. Not life and death. Give away what you most wish to receive. The best people lift people up versus tear people down

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
I wanted Lowe (and MacT) gone but I will definitely show respect. Kevin Lowe has bled blue and orange. Nobody tries to fail on purpose.....Lowe tried but was unsuccessful. There is no shame in that.

I hope all Oiler fans show some class and respect the man. This is just sports at the end of the day. Not life and death. Give away what you most wish to receive. The best people lift people up versus tear people down

amen

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If we promise to not ask for compensation for Chiarelli do you guys promise to not offer sheet Hamilton something crazy? kthanks!

I'm pulling for you guys. So many toys just need to set them up for success

Would you guys prefer 4 x 1st's or keep Dougie Hamilton? 6M x 8 years is something I hope Oilers would do. A d-core of Nurse, Hamilton and Klefbom for the next 8 years would be awesome.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

:laugh: this saint youve anointed turned down corey perry for mike comrie out of sheer spite. Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He was responsible for a hockey department that made the playoffs in 3 of 14 seasons with 3 GMs (he gave the job to his buddies rather than interviewing), 6 head coaches, an awful pro scouting department the whole time, decided that not having an AHL team is ok, insulted the fans, and acted with an air of arrogance that is entirely undeserved. And this is leaving a bunch of stuff out. The buck does stop with him, and he deserves this.

100% agree - this is a great day that he will no longer have any input/involvement in hockey matters. The fact that he hired MacT (who had no experience) almost singlehandedly ruined our rebuild efforts.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Would you guys prefer 4 x 1st's or keep Dougie Hamilton? 6M x 8 years is something I hope Oilers would do. A d-core of Nurse, Hamilton and Klefbom for the next 8 years would be awesome.

I see the Bruins matching something like that. Over that then who knows
Right now Hamilton's offensive skill is worth that much but his Defense is way behind. He makes several mental mistakes and it is very frustrating. He's young, and that will come with time (we assume and hope) and he will round himself into a helluva player. He was also thrust into a major role earlier than expected so those growing pains are anticipated. But I swear he was giving up 2 on 1s every game with a bad pinch. It would take him a couple years to fit into a contract like that but it isn't crazy

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Yah we should really appreciate them doing **** all all the time and when they do do something it's stupid. Or listening to lowe say there's 2 Tiers of fans and they care more about tier 1. Or how he tells people that question him that they don't know anything but he does because he's got Stanley Cup rings... Yah we just love that. They work here because no other team would be stupid enough to hire them or give them such positions. You realize that right?

I also really appreciate MacT's comments on improving the team, "trades are hard..." Do your ****ing job and don't whine when things aren't easy.

This, there's probably tens of qualified highly motivated intelligent people that would love the opportunity to step up to the challenge of running the oilers.

Then if you drop the qualifications a bit but focus on high intelligence, youth, and someone on the rise in the managerial side of our sport there would be hundreds.

People hate Lowe for his lack of effort to do anything or bring anyone in who might help, and then worse than that, his arrogance during it all.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
For all of Lowe's missteps (and there's lots to choose from), when it comes to Comriegate and the "We don't need a farm team" thing, it's always been my belief that these were situations pushed onto Lowe by the EIG trying to pinch pennies, and Lowe ended up being the front man for them.

Lowe's earned whatever legacy he gets, but I find it unlikely that it was a single man's lone reign of error.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Don't you think he should have used class and respect on at least a half dozen occasions during his tenure? When he had the chance to do so most often he did not. He is already getting way more than he truly deserves, way way way better hockey people have had their ***** fired out the door unceremoniously.

No, sorry I have a long memory and in the end you are accountable for your actions long term. People didn't force him to operate the way he did, people didn't force him to make the decisions he made.

It's far more disingenuous to falsely treat him all nicey nice now after he is leaving, or at least leaving one part of the team.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Congrats to all EDM fans. It has been a long hard road, but the running joke that is EDM is nearing it's end. The culture change alone will have very positive effects for the team. McDavid will obviously be a huge addition, but people and players will now want to be apart of the organization. People want to be apart of a winner and it looks like EDM is heading in the right direction. Don't allow the negitive people to burst your bubble. EDM is going to be a team to watch for in the West very soon.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I see the Bruins matching something like that. Over that then who knows
Right now Hamilton's offensive skill is worth that much but his Defense is way behind. He makes several mental mistakes and it is very frustrating. He's young, and that will come with time (we assume and hope) and he will round himself into a helluva player. It would take him a couple years to fit into a contract like that but it isn't crazy

4 x 1st's is a gamble. But it allows the Oilers to keep RNH, Hall, McDavid, Eberle, Yak, Draisaitl, Klefbom, and Nurse. I would be hard pressed to trade any of these guys. I think Hamilton will benefit from playing with Klefbom in the long run. Maybe 2-3 years from now and will be worth the contract.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec · 2m2 minutes ago
BREAKING: Former POHO Kevin Lowe moves out of hockey dep't in EDM, retains role on business side of Oilers Entertainment Group.

wonder what his business role will be. I don't remember him having any practical or useful business experience.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

sure, but he ran the Oilers like it was the ex-Oilers personal retirement home; as though all ex-Oilers have a god-given right to a lifetime job; and that would be OK if it were scouting or development, they should not have been gifted high-level jobs unless they had earned them, and none did, and many should have been let go, and none were.

Lowe ran the team like it was a triple A senior mens' hockey team. He didn't take the executive level seriously; like the GM's job was easy, that anyone can do.

Show respect? ok. maybe some day.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Congrats to all EDM fans. It has been a long hard road, but the running joke that is EDM is nearing it's end. The culture change alone will have very positive effects for the team. McDavid will obviously be a huge addition, but people and players will now want to be apart of the organization. People want to be apart of a winner and it looks like EDM is heading in the right direction. Don't allow the negitive people to burst your bubble. EDM is going to be a team to watch for in the West very soon.

I love the negativity flowing in from the rest of the league. It will make it that much more satisfying when we beat their teams down the road.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
wonder what his business role will be. I don't remember him having any practical or useful business experience.

He gets to cash more paycheques because he's a friend. Cronyism at it's best.

Kick his ass to the curb already. This is embarrassing.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

He will split the business into Tier One and Tier Two. Tier one is what he will focus on and cares the most. Tier Two he is tearing out of the business maunal and chunking it into the garbage.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
For all of Lowe's missteps (and there's lots to choose from), when it comes to Comriegate and the "We don't need a farm team" thing, it's always been my belief that these were situations pushed onto Lowe by the EIG trying to pinch pennies, and Lowe ended up being the front man for them.

Lowe's earned whatever legacy he gets, but I find it unlikely that it was a single man's lone reign of error.

I don't disagree at all. Although it would not surprise me if Lowe accepted the full blame.

We just have no ideal how all this stuff went down, so it's easy to blame the face we see or the guy with the title.

It's an exciting opportunity to move forward and I hope the Oilers take full advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad