Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli [Gregor: Presser Tomorrow? Ward: Staffing Update Come Morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
This is different though. The others that they hired without interviewing others were former Oilers who were gifted positions out of loyalty and Eakins who had no NHL resume to speak of.

Chiarelli even with his warts is a proven commodity, as successful as you'll find on the open market. I'm sure he would be offered other opportunities if the Oilers don't snag him now.
There's something to be said for doing due diligence but when you have an opportunity to get one of the better GMs on the market, go get him.

I don't disagree that Chiarelli is good hockey man but I just don't want to see the Oilers bring him in tomorrow, give him the keys, then watch him trade 2 or 3 of the young core for "tougher, Bruins like" players.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This is different though. The others that they hired without interviewing others were former Oilers who were gifted positions out of loyalty and Eakins who had no NHL resume to speak of.

Chiarelli even with his warts is a proven commodity, as successful as you'll find on the open market. I'm sure he would be offered other opportunities if the Oilers don't snag him now.
There's something to be said for doing due diligence but when you have an opportunity to get one of the better GMs on the market, go get him.

I don't disagree that Chiarelli is good hockey man but I just don't want to see the Oilers bring him in tomorrow, give him the keys, then watch him trade 2 or 3 of the young core for "tougher, Bruins like" players.

That's not going to happen. Besides, there aren't better options available and with Toronto on a GM hunt of their own it would be wise to strike while the iron is hot.

Oct 15, 2008

Whatever he does, it would be an improvement over what we have had to endure for the last decade.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

So instead we should continue to play with a crappy d and crappy goaltending. Someone has to come in and make changes. Hate to say it but people are going to be mad regardless. Someone has to go before this team has a legit shot at going anywhere in this league.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
To the guy saying hiring Chiarelli is a mistake because he's the first person we're interviewing....

Please provide us a list of other GMs who are available and have won a Stanley Cup in the last decade?

Lombardi ain't leaving Los Angeles.
Holland ain't leaving Detroit.
Bowman ain't leaving Chicago.

Ridiculous that posters on this board will complain about Chiarelli. Guys like this are rarely available to be hired. When they are, you pounce on them immediately.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Honestly though, would trading some of the core for tougher more experienced players be the worst thing in the world?
The problem with Tambo and MacT is that they were/are too attached to the core and are unwilling to part with anything of value to support the core properly.

I wouldn't be adverse to Eberle, Yak and/or Draisaitl being dealt for players that fill bigger needs although I prefer to hold onto Drai for the time being. At some point this is going to have to be done IMO.
Not enough team toughness as is and there's no guarantee that Nurse and/or Klefbom become the top pairing Dman we need and if one of them does, it might take years.
The core is flawed. They can't be scared to pull the trigger on a trade for the sake of keeping the core together, a core that has driven them to the basement for the last several years.

Last edited:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I would pose the same question that got buried in the last thread to the 'wait and interview multiple people' crowd.

Who are we waiting for? Rutherford?

PC might only be average as an actual GM, but he is the best name out there in regards to bringing a history of success and instant credibility to the Edmonton Oilers, and we need that kind of image makeover in the worst way imaginable.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I would pose the same question that got buried in the last thread to the 'wait and interview multiple people' crowd.

Who are we waiting for? Rutherford?

PC might only be average as an actual GM, but he is the best name out there in regards to bringing a history of success and instant credibility to the Edmonton Oilers, and we need that kind of image makeover in the worst way imaginable.

The only available GMs right now are Nonis and Shero. Don't want anything to do with the former and the latter isn't a better option than Chiarelli. No GMs of note are likely to be fired between now and the draft.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
To the guy saying hiring Chiarelli is a mistake because he's the first person we're interviewing....

Please provide us a list of other GMs who are available and have won a Stanley Cup in the last decade?

Lombardi ain't leaving Los Angeles.
Holland ain't leaving Detroit.
Bowman ain't leaving Chicago.

Ridiculous that posters on this board will complain about Chiarelli. Guys like this are rarely available to be hired. When they are, you pounce on them immediately.

It's ok. We can always sign Eakins as GM, make MacT the POHO and give Lowe Supreme Commander of all Oiler intel. Then Eakins can hire Mr. Bean as Head Coach and have the Three Stooges as the assistant coaches. That seems WAY more logical than going after Chiarelli. :shakehead

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Seguin is not that good. Take away Benn and you have an average player.

His tattoo on his arm is horrendous too.

Matador

Jun 20, 2007
Chiarelli trading one of the young core is being overblown. The current or next GM is going to have to swing a deal to aquire some defensive and goaltending help.

KaiserYamamoto

Sep 14, 2009
The Oilers cynic in me says Chiarelli is here only to leverage a better deal from another NHL club (like past UFAs).

Or worse, Nicholson is talking to other people to address due diligence concerns (like Lowe hiring MacT as GM), only to confirm Lowe, MacT and Howson are indeed the "right people".

Please, McJesus, let me be wrong.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
The Oilers cynic in me says Chiarelli is here only to leverage a better deal from another NHL club (like past UFAs).

Or worse, Nicholson is talking to other people to address due diligence concerns (like Lowe hiring MacT as GM), only to confirm Lowe, MacT and Howson are indeed the "right people".

Please, McJesus, let me be wrong.

Dude is unemployed. What better job is out there?

What available GM wouldn't want this job? I think we as a fanbase need to stop being cynical. This is an attractive job.

this is a VERY attractive job.

He'd be taking over a team with McDavid and Nurse having 3 cheap ELC years left....a core of Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov....a state-of-the-art arena opening in one season.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Chiarelli trading one of the young core is being overblown. The current or next GM is going to have to swing a deal to aquire some defensive and goaltending help.
Ya I don't believe that this is a bad thing, were not going to win with an all skill top 6. We need that size and role players as well as defense and goaltending to have moderate success. Any gm no matter who it if not this year, in the next will realise we need to trade some of our core peices to fill holes in the roster. Unless you want it mact's way where we sit and have "devolpmental" years, which means we suck for the next decade to draft these players to fill the holes

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
people can't possibly dislike this if he comes here

guy has Stanley Cup pedigree...he know what it takes to win a Cup

I hope he comes in and becomes the boss of MacT...cause once he sees how awful he is, he'll punt him..(probably in some other capacity...like getting coffee for the big boys, it's the Oiler way)

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Ya I don't believe that this is a bad thing, were not going to win with an all skill top 6. We need that size and role players as well as defense and goaltending to have moderate success. Any gm no matter who it if not this year, in the next will realise we need to trade some of our core peices to fill holes in the roster. Unless you want it mact's way where we sit and have "devolpmental" years, which means we suck for the next decade to draft these players to fill the holes

Completely agree.

Oilers fans have to get comfortable with the possibility of Hall or Eberle being moved.

Trollmark*

people can't possibly dislike this if he comes here

guy has Stanley Cup pedigree...he know what it takes to win a Cup

I hope he comes in and becomes the boss of MacT...cause once he sees how awful he is, he'll punt him..(probably in some other capacity...like getting coffee for the big boys, it's the Oiler way)

Ya... Just one. :pout:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Since we got that gold ticket, I'm a lot more comfortable as a fan trading pieces that I wouldn't have traded before.

That's all I'll say on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad