Not open for further replies.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Hall
Seguin
Wheeler

All top scorers traded by Chiarelli.

BWHAHAHAH!!! Oh Lord, close the door to the basment

Hall - will play in his first ever NHL playoff game tonight. 8th year in the league
Seguin - has 7 playoff games in his time in Dallas (only 1 in the last 4 years, missed 2 years straight) and has only scored 1 goal
Wheeler - just played his 5th playoff game since leaving Boston NINE YEARS AGO!!!!! 2 playoff points with Winnipeg / Atlanta

Yeah, I mean, crystal clear how awesome these guys are. So much winning!!!!

Reactions: PopaneNightscare

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Hall - will play in his first ever NHL playoff game tonight. 8th year in the league
Seguin - has 7 playoff games in his time in Dallas (only 1 in the last 4 years, missed 2 years straight) and has only scored 1 goal
Wheeler - just played his 5th playoff game since leaving Boston NINE YEARS AGO!!!!! 2 playoff points with Winnipeg / Atlanta

Worst response ever. It's Hall's first playoff game because of how horrible the Oilers are.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Worst response ever. It's Hall's first playoff game because of how horrible the Oilers are.

But he's an elite scorer. You nerds seem to think that Chiarelli is an idiot for trading him, yet him being on the Oilers didn't make them better. I know you want to have it both ways, but you are going to get called out for being stupid.

No response about Seguin or Wheeler? Nah, I know you can't.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Bob Nicholson is holding a press conference in 40 minutes. The headline on TSN.ca is "Potential shake up in Edmonton?"

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If any of you watched his presser yesterday it tells all.

One of the main things was that even though the team was fast, they couldn’t keep up with the increased speed that players process every moment during any given game.

That says volumes.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.

Lol what a sad reply.

COPE.
O
P
E

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Lol what a sad reply.

COPE.
O
P
E

So, correctly state the fact that the players mentioned haven't had playoff success at any point in their career after Chia traded them (or before), but Chia gets dumped on for trading them.

Always amazed at how your ilk can never articulate a response when you get called out. No, just kidding, it's what I expect.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So, correctly state the fact that the players mentioned haven't had playoff success at any point in their career after Chia traded them (or before), but Chia gets dumped on for trading them.

Always amazed at how your ilk can never articulate a response when you get called out. No, just kidding, it's what I expect.

Are....are you his kid, or his brother, or something? :help:

The mental gymnastics you're doing to defend Peter Chiarelli here are pretty damn impressive. He's been widely panned by us regular fans as well as people who are paid to provide analyses on his performance as a GM. But no, I guess you alone have got the right idea and it's all just dandy. Chiarelli = God.

And sure, let's all just throw the blame at Hall, Seguin and Wheeler for their respective teams' performance. That's what normal fans do, right?

Because as we all know, one player alone can will a team to playoff glory.

Oh wait, that's not even remotely true. :laugh:

On top of all that, the biggest problem with Chiarelli isn't that he dealt all three of these superstars, it's that he got absolutely robbed in all three deals. If you're going to shake things up and move a big piece, go right ahead. But at least get more than pennies on the dollar. He's a laughingstock right now, and you'd be mighty naive to deny it.

Reactions: haveandare

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada

Winnipeg, Dallas, and New Jersey have not played in the playoffs because they lack depth. Wheeler, Hall, and Seguin are not the problem. How you can suggest they are is beyond me.

Chiarelli has traded elite talent several times and has gotten scrapes in return. I hope the Oilers keep him but I would think an Oilers fan would want him gone for being so incompetent.

Reactions: haveandare

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW

Peter, is that you?

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Are....are you his kid, or his brother, or something? :help:

So instead of refuting the facts, you are going this route? Not surprised

The mental gymnastics you're doing to defend Peter Chiarelli here are pretty damn impressive.

I correctly pointed out that the 3 players who were noted haven't done a damn thing since being traded.

Taylor Hall didn't make the Oilers better. One year he finished Top 5 in points, but the Oilers finished 28th. This year he went on a 26 game point streak. The Devils only won 12 of those games.

Tyler Seguin has played 7 playoff games since he was traded by Chiarelli, scoring just 1 goal. His team has missed the playoffs the last 2 years, and 3 of the last 4.

Blake Wheeler just played in his 5th playoff game since he was traded by Chairelli. He, like Seguin, has just one goal in those games

You can't list these players as top players that Chiarelli has moved, then run away from the fact that none of them has moved the needle for the teams they are on.

He's been widely panned by us regular fans

LOL. Well awesome. Nothing like the opinion of someone with no actual experience or knowledge. If you have a moment, I'd like to ask you about a bridge I'm engineering. I know you aren't an engineer, but I'm sure you have driven over one, so you must be an expert.

as well as people who are paid to provide analyses on his performance as a GM.

Which people are that? Same ones, who like you "regular fans", predicted the Oilers would be in the Cup Finals this year?

But to, I guess you alone have got the right idea and it's all just dandy. Chiarelli = God.

Again, never said that, but judging your inability to actually refute the point I made, I understand why you want to shift it away.

The Oilers have been a dumpster fire for nearly a decade. To blame Chiarelli for everything that is happened to the Oilers this year is ignorant. Again, a year ago this year was on a good playoff run. There were also picked by people like you to be clear Cup contenders. It's awesome how quickly you people try to run away from your failures.

And sure, let's all just throw the blame at Hall, Seguin and Wheeler for their respective teams' performance. That's what normal fans do, right?

Well, you're blaming a GM for a team that has been bad for over 10 years, for still being bad despite him only being in charge for a few years. This is that double standard you people like using.

Because as we all know, one player alone can will a team to playoff glory.

Again, many of your ilk think that because the Oilers got McDavid, that is exactly what would happen. But I hate to keep using your own words to end your argument.

BTW, if you are suggesting that one player can't "will a team to playoff glory", then why are you so upset that Chiarelli traded one of those players?

On top of all that, the biggest problem with Chiarelli isn't that he dealt all three of these superstars

Now you are calling these guys "superstars"!?!?!? Really? Come on. You can't be serious right? Sydney Crosby scored more goals last night than those 3 have in the playoffs combined. Blake Wheeler = Superstar. LOL

it's that he got absolutely robbed in all three deals.

Really? You sure about that, or are you just saying random things again?

You might want to look at why Wheeler was moved. You should also look to see what happened to the Bruins after he was (here's a hint, it ended with a parade through Boston). And I guess since you missed it, until this year (which is far from being determined), Wheeler hasn't done much. Again, last night was his 5th playoff game since leaving Boston.

If you're going to shake things up and move a big piece, go right ahead. But at least get more than pennies on the dollar.

I really don't think someone like yourself, with no knowledge or understanding of how the game works, really understands the value of players and trades. Your time in a fantasy league isn't helping

He's a laughingstock right now, and you'd be mighty naive to deny it.

I don't think he, and I can tell you that I, don't care what the basement crowd thinks. A year ago you were dead quiet about Chiarelli, and I'm 100% sure a year from now you will be the same. But since you have shown a complete lack of knowledge about the past, I'm sure this will be something you conveniently forget as well

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg, Dallas, and New Jersey have not played in the playoffs because they lack depth. Wheeler, Hall, and Seguin are not the problem. How you can suggest they are is beyond me.

So, not these guys fault they haven't done anything since being traded, because the team has no depth. But completely Chiarelli's fault he took over a team with no depth, and is dealing with it.

You guys are funny

Chiarelli has traded elite talent several times and has gotten scrapes in return. I hope the Oilers keep him but I would think an Oilers fan would want him gone for being so incompetent.

The Oilers have been at the bottom of the standings for years. You guys act like the Oilers were Cup winning teams, then Chiarelli came in and ruined it. That's what Bowman did in Chicago.

Again, where were you guys at the beginning of the year when the Oilers were being predicted to win the Cup?

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
So, not these guys fault they haven't done anything since being traded, because the team has no depth. But completely Chiarelli's fault he took over a team with no depth, and is dealing with it.

Has the Oilers hired you to spread positive vibes about the team? The Oilers don't have depth because A) Chiarelli traded Hall B) Chia traded Eberle C) Chia traded the 16th pick (Barzal)

FULL STOP.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So instead of refuting the facts, you are going this route? Not surprised

I correctly pointed out that the 3 players who were noted haven't done a damn thing since being traded.

Taylor Hall didn't make the Oilers better. One year he finished Top 5 in points, but the Oilers finished 28th. This year he went on a 26 game point streak. The Devils only won 12 of those games.

Tyler Seguin has played 7 playoff games since he was traded by Chiarelli, scoring just 1 goal. His team has missed the playoffs the last 2 years, and 3 of the last 4.

Blake Wheeler just played in his 5th playoff game since he was traded by Chairelli. He, like Seguin, has just one goal in those games

You can't list these players as top players that Chiarelli has moved, then run away from the fact that none of them has moved the needle for the teams they are on.

You seem to have glazed over the fact that each of these three players are still doing quite well, even if their teams aren't. That's not on them. Not entirely, anyways. Did Dallas miss the playoffs because Tyler Seguin scored 40 goals? Nope. Was New Jersey abysmal last year because of Taylor Hall? Wrong again.

You can't just look at a team's record and leap to the conclusion that surely this means Chiarelli won the deal, since those teams haven't won the Cup.

I could just as well make the same argument that McDavid is somehow to blame for Edmonton's woes, but I won't because that's just not true. You could learn from this.

LOL. Well awesome. Nothing like the opinion of someone with no actual experience or knowledge. If you have a moment, I'd like to ask you about a bridge I'm engineering. I know you aren't an engineer, but I'm sure you have driven over one, so you must be an expert.

We're in the same boat here, fella. Both hockey fans, nothing more. And we're seeing Peter Chiarelli fail at being a GM.

I guess some are just more willing to accept it than others.

Which people are that? Same ones, who like you "regular fans", predicted the Oilers would be in the Cup Finals this year?

I actually didn't think they'd get that far, but I also didn't predict the dumpster fire Chiarelli has turned them into. As bad as he is, no one could have predicted such a blatant plummet from brief respectability.

Again, never said that, but judging your inability to actually refute the point I made, I understand why you want to shift it away.

The Oilers have been a dumpster fire for nearly a decade. To blame Chiarelli for everything that is happened to the Oilers this year is ignorant. Again, a year ago this year was on a good playoff run. There were also picked by people like you to be clear Cup contenders. It's awesome how quickly you people try to run away from your failures.

I'm aware that Chia's just one of a number of execs who have had a hand in burying the Oilers. I was just poking fun at your unrelenting belief in his system.

Well, you're blaming a GM for a team that has been bad for over 10 years, for still being bad despite him only being in charge for a few years. This is that double standard you people like using.

He inherited the reins on a cellar-dweller, there's no denying he had much work to do. And yeah, last year was a pleasant surprise. But he's followed it up with a dud.

Again, many of your ilk think that because the Oilers got McDavid, that is exactly what would happen. But I hate to keep using your own words to end your argument.

BTW, if you are suggesting that one player can't "will a team to playoff glory", then why are you so upset that Chiarelli traded one of those players?

Actually, most people of my "ilk" are fully aware that McDavid's a generational talent, arguably the best in the game today. But we also know it takes more than one player to field a competitive team, and he obviously can't do it alone.

Now you are calling these guys "superstars"!?!?!? Really? Come on. You can't be serious right? Sydney Crosby scored more goals last night than those 3 have in the playoffs combined. Blake Wheeler = Superstar. LOL

Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall and Blake Wheeler are all top players in the league. We can argue semantics all day long over the definition of "superstar", but my point is that Chia's traded some really, really good players for chump change.

Really? You sure about that, or are you just saying random things again?

You might want to look at why Wheeler was moved. You should also look to see what happened to the Bruins after he was (here's a hint, it ended with a parade through Boston). And I guess since you missed it, until this year (which is far from being determined), Wheeler hasn't done much. Again, last night was his 5th playoff game since leaving Boston.

Boston's done quite nicely since moving Wheeler and Seguin, that's obvious. I'll concede that Peverley was a key piece for Boston, although Chia ended up moving him anyways along with Seguin, to Dallas. Boston has nothing to show for the Seguin deal.

Also, yes I know counting playoff games is fun, but I don't see how it's relevant. Is Taylor Hall somehow a bust because tonight's his first playoff game?

I really don't think someone like yourself, with no knowledge or understanding of how the game works, really understands the value of players and trades. Your time in a fantasy league isn't helping

You're right. What use is there in getting good value on a player in a big trade?

I don't think he, and I can tell you that I, don't care what the basement crowd thinks. A year ago you were dead quiet about Chiarelli, and I'm 100% sure a year from now you will be the same. But since you have shown a complete lack of knowledge about the past, I'm sure this will be something you conveniently forget as well

The only "basement crowd" I see in this argument is down there with Chiarelli and his Oilers. Hopefully next year you're right and they can turn things around, but it's going to take a lot.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
But he's an elite scorer. You nerds seem to think that Chiarelli is an idiot for trading him, yet him being on the Oilers didn't make them better. I know you want to have it both ways, but you are going to get called out for being stupid.

Better trade McDavid for Tom Wilson since his 108 points couldn't keep the Oilers out of the basement lmao

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
So the best bet for Edmonton next season is to have the same team, 'cause there's no chance Chiarelli manages to do something that makes them better.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario

How many games Hall and McDavid play together?

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
sigh he puts full faith in chia and hints mclellan is gone..... my god man what a time to be alive!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Stockholm Syndrome seems to be alive and well among certain pockets fans Edmonton.

That, or David Staples just has a bunch of proxy accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce