Not open for further replies.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Hall
Seguin
Wheeler

All top scorers traded by Chiarelli.

Add in he traded for Reinhart and gave up 2 first rounders ; which ended up being Barzal and Beauvillier...

4 scorers in the top 20 traded...for peanuts!

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
We need a meme of Chia: "So you are saying we have a star player on our team", "Would suck to just trade him away"

Anyways, Oilers are not in a bad shape, they will make the playoffs next year or the year after. Sure, Chia makes craptacular moves, but he knows the game still, if he stays, it is not the end of the world. He's won a Cup after all.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Mcdavid will play lights out next season from the start and save Chia and Mclellan from a firing.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Yes. You might as well have titled it things captain obvious would say.

Young teams with lack of success and a weak coaching staff have a hard time getting over the hump. Win a game then claim my post will not age well. Infact i am sure so the wild will win the first game, i won't post on here for a month if i am wrong, hell make it 2 months since i will have so much shame from being wrong about the great Jets Franchise.

See ya in June!!

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
even if he gets fired I bet he wormtongues his way into another gm position

chia is unstoppable
as I read your post, I was like WTF does wormtongue mean. must be making up words here. but I actually found out what it means. spot on, spot on.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Hall
Seguin
Wheeler

All top scorers traded by Chiarelli.

Add in he traded for Reinhart and gave up 2 first rounders ; which ended up being Barzal and Beauvillier...

4 scorers in the top 20 traded...for peanuts!
Yeah but he traded for Rask 12 years ago! Apparently that fixes all.

Reactions: bionic

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hopefully he stays. I'd like the Leafs to have a few cracks at the Cup before McDavid plays for a competent team.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The Oilers weren't even close to making the playoffs, and that was with McDavid putting up 100+ points.
The PK was running around 50% at home for most of the year. (WTF was with the 'L' formation???)

The first half of the year; they let in the first shot of the game around 9 times (16 times the first minute).

Chia is bad, but the season was sewered by coaching.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The PK was running around 50% at home for most of the year. (WTF was with the 'L' formation???)

The first half of the year; they let in the first shot of the game around 9 times (16 times the first minute).

Chia is bad, but the season was sewered by coaching.

... and a poor roster.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I have a hard time saying this without trying to sound like you need to take away talent from the Oilers but....

They really need to build a solid system in the minors too. Synch the systems and development so that it actually works out for them. Like it's just terrible down there. In their top 10 in scoring they have 1 guy under 25, and he just happens to be 24. How are you suppose to develop players when the team is so bad?

It's almost like they took Puljujarvi and said we gotta bring him up cause he won't be able to develop in the environment he is in... but at the same time its also hard to develop in the new environment they placed him in.

Maybe this summer they should focus on bringing in some youth to their minor league system so that guys can actually develop and grow as a group down there before becoming Oilers.

Less is more when it comes to this team right now. Try and pick up some depth wingers on CHEAP and SHORT deals this summer to create some stopgap spots. There are always 30-40 point wingers available for cheap (see Vanek, Ganger from Vancouver from this year etc...)

You just need to surround your core with some manageable players. Let the youth develop.

You essentially need to fill our your wingers around McDavid, Draisatl and RNH. That shouldn't be too hard to do. You already have 1 in Strome and Maroon said he wants to come back. I can't see Puljujarvi going down to the AHL now so he slots in their too. That is 3 serviceable wingers right there. Find your guy that is like Hyman. He is cheap, works hard and gets in on the forecheck. It might appear like he is bringing down the line at times but he does his job.

With the defense you need to just hope it rebounds a bit. Not much more than that because you don't have the pieces to make the move.

Do whatever it takes to get away from Lucic. It sucks but mistakes must be owned and moved on from.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Has anyone ever heard an NHL general manager convey any unique insight into the game of hockey? You would think these guys could articulate something that an outsider would never have considered. For instance in Chiarelli's press conference yesterday, when a reporter asked him why his wingers suck, he said he believed centers are more important than wingers. Any hockey fan could tell you that's his/her philosophy of hockey: "Having three good centers is important".
I think it's important to have a stud defenseman. Where do I apply to be a gm?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yes. You might as well have titled it things captain obvious would say.

Young teams with lack of success and a weak coaching staff have a hard time getting over the hump. Win a game then claim my post will not age well. Infact i am sure so the wild will win the first game, i won't post on here for a month if i am wrong, hell make it 2 months since i will have so much shame from being wrong about the great Jets Franchise.

I don't expect you to reply to this, as per your own admission and seeing as how it was Winnipeg who won the first game.

But I guess I was right about scoffing at your "Wild in 4" comment, eh? :laugh:

Reactions: TheStroker

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Its an unbalanced roster, but theyre good enough to make the playoffs.

Dude, the fourth leading scorer was ryan strome with 34 points. That's f***ing mind-boggling awful. The Oilers have 1 amazing forward, 1 really good forward, and 1 above average forward. The rest are absolute garbage.

On defense, Nurse is solid, Klefbom can be solid, and Larsson is an average second-pairing D. And none of these guys are offensive defensemen. The Oilers highest scoring D had 26 points followed by Benning and Klefbom at 21 points. This is embarrassing.

In summary, Edmonton had 1 amazing forward, 1 really good forward, and 1 decent forward. The rest are garbage. The Oilers have 1 solid D, 1 D that can be solid, and 1 average defensemen.
In total: The Oilers are pretty much lacking everywhere. How can you say they are good enough to make the playoffs with that roster?

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Dude, the fourth leading scorer was ryan strome with 34 points. That's ****ing mind-boggling awful. The Oilers have 1 amazing forward, 1 really good forward, and 1 above average forward. The rest are absolute garbage.

On defense, Nurse is solid, Klefbom can be solid, and Larsson is an average second-pairing D. And none of these guys are offensive defensemen. The Oilers highest scoring D had 26 points followed by Benning and Klefbom at 21 points. This is embarrassing.

In summary, Edmonton had 1 amazing forward, 1 really good forward, and 1 decent forward. The rest are garbage. The Oilers have 1 solid D, 1 D that can be solid, and 1 average defensemen.
In total: The Oilers are pretty much lacking everywhere. How can you say they are good enough to make the playoffs with that roster?
When you look at the players they have right now on the team other then the top 3or4 players you mentioned and in the minors it's just unbelievable how bad they are. You would think with all the high drafts they had they would hit on a few in the second round. They honestly should have one of the best minor teams in the league .

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
They are buying time for the Katz boy to learn the ropes
sbnation-share__9_.0.png

lol from Hallsy to McDavid.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Dude, the fourth leading scorer was ryan strome with 34 points. That's ****ing mind-boggling awful. The Oilers have 1 amazing forward, 1 really good forward, and 1 above average forward. The rest are absolute garbage.

A lot of down years for sure.

Worst seasons for a lot of players.

Anemic special teams and lack of preparation killed them. Trust me, I watched all the games.

This roster isn't much different than the team that got 103 points the year before. Trading away Eberle isnt the reason for such a dramatic drop. Eberle at no point last season was the straw that stirred the drink. He was not the reason for a 30 point drop in the standings.

The team is definitely capable of being in the playoffs. The coaching was terrible.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The GM always has one bullet in his gun, with the coach's name on it - especially if the front office still has faith in their man.

If that's the case with Chiarelli, have to imagine that McLellan is on the hot seat first.

Either way, I think big changes need to happen in Edmonton (TM out, Alain Vigneault in?).

If it's not the GM, it's the coach.

Can't come back next season with the same set of cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad