Peter Chiarelli Done As GM In Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
The problem with too many sports fans is they conflate the GM with the crest on the jersey.

Claiming that a GM has been a disaster for a team isn’t the same thing as hating the team itself

I’m a Leafs fan and watched the diehards try to defend every move gay Burke/Nonis made even though they ran the franchise into the ground

:confused: huh? I am assuming this is a typo/grammatical error... but trying to figure the other word and/or placement...

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The problem with too many sports fans is they conflate the GM with the crest on the jersey.

Claiming that a GM has been a disaster for a team isn’t the same thing as hating the team itself

I’m a Leafs fan and watched the diehards try to defend every move gay Burke/Nonis made even though they ran the franchise into the ground

Yep. It's the same thing with Bruins fans and Chiarelli whenever the Seguin video re-appears every few months. They get so defensive, I had to post multiple times that at this point we are racking Chiarelli, not the Bruins. Two different entities.

The Bruins rebounded quickly and I think the Oilers can too.

For now though the Oilers and Chiarelli are married because the biggest wounds right now in Edmonton are self-inflicted.

Reactions: Menzinger

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Yep. It's the same thing with Bruins fans and Chiarelli whenever the Seguin video re-appears every few months. They get so defensive, I had to post multiple times that at this point we are racking Chiarelli, not the Bruins. Two different entities.

The Bruins rebounded quickly and I think the Oilers can too.

For now though the Oilers and Chiarelli are married because the biggest wounds right now in Edmonton are self-inflicted.

Not true! We have battered wife syndrome! We want out but can't...

Reactions: JT Kreider

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Almost everyone thought they were cup contenders before the season, and they were contenders that were within 1 game and some good officiating luck from winning 2 playoff rds last year. Some teams actually measure success by winning playoffs rds, not by simply squeaking into the playoffs.

I don't want to bash the Oilers team because it's a dead horse, but they beat a Sharks team who limped into the playoffs with injuries and then blew the series against Anaheim. I suspect I know why you worded the comment like this but let's let it go.

As for this year, it was a failure of a season by the Oilers as a whole. The players let them city down, the coach and the GM. It does not change the facts Chiarelli has a cup, has made good and bad moves as A NHL GM. All GM's can be fired at any time. All GM's are measured by the body of their work and not by 1 season.

Chia is a GM who has lucked his way into looking competent before. I won't get into the Bruins because that is derailing the discussion but as far as Edmonton goes, he was gifted an 18 year old generational talent has has made the wrong move time after time.

If you think Chia is a good GM, then who is to blame? The coaching? Or the players? Are you going to tell me the difference between a cup and being a bottom feeder is shuffling a few third liners?

Reactions: bionic

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Heres the thing... Management of past didn't make too many horrible moves. All they did was draft players, signed them to friendly long term deals and hope for the best. They simply didn't have a winning culture and were fine being losers.

Chiarelli on the other hand has done a good job of signing horrible free agent contracts that will be unmoveable, while trading away solid talent for pennies on the dollar.

Chiarelli really didn't have to do much except for improve culture. He was gifted a generational talent to work with and managed to destroy the team around him.

And it's been hilarious to watch.

Countless tanked seasons to draft talent.
Then ruined said talent by rushing them to the NHL and then having the nerve to blame that talent for failing when they were 100% behind that fail wagon.

Yeah, I hope they keep Chiarelli, that should be their punishment for tanking each year to find a prospect like McDavid that was fail proof in their developmental system.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I don't want to bash the Oilers team because it's a dead horse, but they beat a Sharks team who limped into the playoffs with injuries and then blew the series against Anaheim. I suspect I know why you worded the comment like this but let's let it go.

Chia is a GM who has lucked his way into looking competent before. I won't get into the Bruins because that is derailing the discussion but as far as Edmonton goes, he was gifted an 18 year old generational talent has has made the wrong move time after time.

If you think Chia is a good GM, then who is to blame? The coaching? Or the players? Are you going to tell me the difference between a cup and being a bottom feeder is shuffling a few third liners?
How anyone can argue in favour of Chia is unbelievable. Some people just can't admit being wrong .

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017

Then ruined said talent by rushing them to the NHL and then having the nerve to blame that talent for failing when they were 100% behind that fail wagon.

Yeah, I hope they keep Chiarelli, that should be their punishment for tanking each year to find a prospect like McDavid that was fail proof in their developmental system.
Didn't tank were just bad. Who did they rush to the NHL.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
RNH, Yak, Pooljuiceparty or whatever you guys call him, Paajarvi, etc.
Nuge and Yak won rookie scoring races. Puja was not rushed he wasn't even the NHL the year after he was up and down. Name one 1st overall that was not in the NHL the season after getting drafted. I know you are upset that McDavid has been better than Crosby the last two seasons but no need toake things up.

Reactions: Slicknitty

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nuge and Yak won rookie scoring races. Puja was not rushed he wasn't even the NHL the year after he was up and down. Name one 1st overall that was not in the NHL the season after getting drafted. I know you are upset that McDavid has been better than Crosby the last two seasons but no need toake things up.

Yes, we're insanely angry about winning the cup with Crosby and Malkin being beasts in the playoffs the last 2 seasons.

Lol

Reactions: bionic

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's really hopeless in Edmonton. The brass is just the Hockey Canada Club. Building an NHL team is a lot different then picking Team Canada every 4 years. I could pick Team Canada and win gold.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

I really don't think they ever committed to a tank. I think the teams they iced were just really bad and nobody gave two shits. The year they got McD they were most definitely trying their best to get out of the basement.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
oilers had a reviving cat bounce last year like the avs did a few years ago. chia and mclellan bought their own hype and started trying to be contenders, especially mclellan. this sucked the fun out of if for their kids and created pressure. every thing then went pear shaped much worse than it needed to.

as much as chia has made some questionable trades i think mclellan is the one who should go for making it no fun to be on a team with mcdavid.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
oilers had a reviving cat bounce last year like the avs did a few years ago. chia and mclellan bought their own hype and started trying to be contenders, especially mclellan. this sucked the fun out of if for their kids and created pressure. every thing then went pear shaped much worse than it needed to.

as much as chia has made some questionable trades i think mclellan is the one who should go for making it no fun to be on a team with mcdavid.
They can both go

member 298589

If I was Melnyk, and Chiarelli was willing to work for me for free, I still wouldn't hire him. I wouldn't even put him in charge of a not-for-profit, pop-up lemonade stand in support of a local cancer charity - even if it was only for 5 minutes while I ran to take a piss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce