Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How about you? You and Drivesaitl are the only ones creating a rift in this thread. With the amount of posting and *****ing you both do, I'm shocked you don't have the time to post one.

Yeah, when you are posting in an 'appreciation thread' and we've asked you to post in another thread, I don't think common sense is there, so I'll pass.
There wasn't another thread to post regarding Chia until today, as I had prior mentioned. No threads from the previous board could be assessed afaik.

I cannot start threads here, and so thankfully somebody else did start one today and I won't post any further critiques in this one. No one was trying to annoy you or anybody else and several posters were just having a friendly discussion on a discussion board.

Further, its not "we" it was you complaining about the discussion, that several people were having.

For sure this will now resume in the other thread.

thanks

Last edited:

OccasionalPoster

Nov 18, 2017
Surprised I haven't seen one yet. But I'd like to give a hat tip to our POHO.

Peter has accomplished so much in two years.

Sifting through scouting and management positions, while tip toeing around ownership loyalty to undeserving individuals.

Solidifying coaching, hiring a veteran teaching coach who brought in his own staff.

Finding a number 1 goalie.

Addressing defence. Bringing in an affordable mix of vets and youth to defend as a committee bringing our GA down.

Addressing size. Bringing in Kassian, Maroon, gryba, Lucic. This is a team we can be proud of and stick up for each other.

Changing the culture/make up of the room. This is a resilient team. Bold moves were needed to change the mix. We had too much of the same. Peter gave his coach more tools.

Signing college free agents to aid poor drafting past. (Benning/ Drake)

We have a well educated, experienced/ winning GM. Let's enjoy this. We are tough, skilled and play with pace.

You win.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Maroon - McDavid - Drake
Hall - Drai - Pulju
Lucic - Nuge - Eberle

you guys would have been so balanced offensively your d wouldn't have this much pressure.

babcock uses this type of line formula to better results than the oil. our D is not the toughest or smartest either

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Maroon - McDavid - Drake
Hall - Drai - Pulju
Lucic - Nuge - Eberle

you guys would have been so balanced offensively your d wouldn't have this much pressure.

babcock uses this type of line formula to better results than the oil. our D is not the toughest or smartest either

No but your D passes the primary test in that it can pass the puck to the forwards.

If you can't do that(we can't) nothing else matters.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Maroon - McDavid - Drake
Hall - Drai - Pulju
Lucic - Nuge - Eberle

defense is (again) our biggest problem at the moment though

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Maroon - McDavid - Drake
Hall - Drai - Pulju
Lucic - Nuge - Eberle

Our D was a complete joke for a decade and without the Hall trade you have no Lucic. Puljujaarvi is still developing and Cagguila has been injured or ineffective all year.

Theory busted. Go back to Leafland.

Reactions: Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Our D was a complete joke for a decade and without the Hall trade you have no Lucic. Puljujaarvi is still developing and Cagguila has been injured or ineffective all year.

Theory busted. Go back to Leafland.
ahh yes oilers did the same mistake as the leafs overpaying lucic like we did clarkson. we got rid of our offensive depth and kessel had to carry the team as mcdavid does now.

i want the oilers to succeed but its gonna be some more pain this year

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
ahh yes oilers did the same mistake as the leafs overpaying lucic like we did clarkson. we got rid of our offensive depth and kessel had to carry the team as mcdavid does now.

i want the oilers to succeed but its gonna be some more pain this year

Sorry for the hostility in my previous post.

Yes in that context you make good points.

I would say Lucic is a far better bet than Clarkson was, and performed well last year, his numbers this year are on pace for his average and he has shown some jam in his games. He is gripping the stick tight this year and making a lot of unforced turnovers. But Eberle was not the answer here, soft ineffective and poor defensive play, and without the Hall trade you have no Lucic anyway. As for losing Eberles goals, it is a 10 goal spread from Eberle to Strome. Improvement by our bottom 9 F should have made that up easily.

Problem is between players ears.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Agreed. But there are a lot of 20-20 hindsight EA Sports GMs with backwards looking crystal balls on sports forums, such is fandom...context out the window.
Go read the first few pages of the thread. There were several posters who criticized Chiarelli for his moves this offseason and they were ripped apart by the kool-aid drinkers. Hindsight my ass.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Chiarelli has to flat of fingers (from sitting on them) to dial the phone now.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Go read the first few pages of the thread. There were several posters who criticized Chiarelli for his moves this offseason and they were ripped apart by the kool-aid drinkers. Hindsight my ass.

Yup its convenient hindsight for anyone to predict the Oilers were heading for this mess. Kool Aid Drinkers suggests you and your backwards looking crystal ball gazers are smarter than most hockey scribes and the Vegas odds makers who have a vested interest in being right.

Show the post that predicts mass regression on a team wide scale including the goaltender, a 29th place spot at the quarter pole, yet the team showing good shot metrics.

It is simple simon reactive fanboy posting to say We predicted this would happen.

Sorry I dont drink that Kook Aid and can think objectively without being a lemming.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
And that's a...bad...thing?

You are taking snippets of a conversation and using it out of context.

Read the entire thread my friend. I was not advocating Lucic OVER Hall....

I was responding to a Maple Leaf fans post about what our lineup could be like. He had Lucic AND Hall, this lineup could have had only 1 and not the other.

Context is a wonderful thing.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Yup its convenient hindsight for anyone to predict the Oilers were heading for this mess. Kool Aid Drinkers suggests you and your backwards looking crystal ball gazers are smarter than most hockey scribes and the Vegas odds makers who have a vested interest in being right.

Show the post that predicts mass regression on a team wide scale including the goaltender, a 29th place spot at the quarter pole, yet the team showing good shot metrics.

It is simple simon reactive fanboy posting to say We predicted this would happen.

Sorry I dont drink that Kook Aid and can think objectively without being a lemming.
Well I guess we were since we were right about this team not being good. It doesn't take a genius to realize that many players wouldn't repeat their career highs and Talbot wouldn't be a top 3 goalie again.

No one predicted this team to be this bad but myself and many others predicted that they would struggle to make the playoffs and I put money on them missing before the season started. Anyone who thought this team was actually going to be a cup contender was delusional.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You are taking snippets of a conversation and using it out of context.

Read the entire thread my friend. I was not advocating Lucic OVER Hall....

I was responding to a Maple Leaf fans post about what our lineup could be like. He had Lucic AND Hall, this lineup could have had only 1 and not the other.

Context is a wonderful thing.

I know. I was just making a joke. Jeez.

Reactions: Night Witch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad