Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Talbot, Chiasson, Maroon trades.

But wow.. he had some horrible ones too - Reinhart for 1st, all transactions involving Gryba, Drake for Mandog, Strome for Spooner.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Atleast he drafted Bear.....but he was terrible and I'm glad he's long gone.
His drafting and development was very good. That even salvages Nicholson's rep a bit since when Chia was on the hot seat he would say that Chia's saving grace was the drafting and development organization that Chia put in place.

But Chia should have been fired earlier. Those desperation trades were really bad.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Talbot, Chiasson, Maroon trades.

But wow.. he had some horrible ones too - Reinhart for 1st, all transactions involving Gryba, Drake for Mandog, Strome for Spooner.
Caggiula for Manning was the worst. Big FU to Oilers fans and McDavid.
Strome sucked in EDM so that can be forgiven.
Thanks for Bear I guess!!!

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Still can't believe we had to fork over a second round pick for a GM that was fired. And a third for a coach that was fired.

But Manning for Garrison would have made sense. Where the hell does Caggulia fit in to that deal?

Talk about the Oilers getting screwed sideways.

Who bumped this thread, damn you!
:damnpc:

Reactions: Vader611

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Looks like I made it through this thread unscathed.
You sure? :sarcasm:

FSKuOgb.gif

clap_zps75cb0a49.gif

WaqzHfy.gif

OZhSm2l.gif

Courtesy of Del Preston

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
What happens if Koskinen wins the Vezina and Conn Smythe with that 4mill contract? In the modern era that would be the steal of the century.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
What happens if Koskinen wins the Vezina and Conn Smythe with that 4mill contract? In the modern era that would be the steal of the century.

Draisaitl's contract looking like a fire-sale right now. He also extended Klefbom, our #1 d-man, #1 player in the NHL with the most ice-time, to a 7r 4.167M AAV, in anticipation that he would become an elite NHL defenseman, in which he was right

But nonetheless, in the big picture, he's still the most brain-dead GM in Oiler's history

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I don't give a rats ass what anyone says. He went out of his way to screw the oilers cause he knew his time was done.How that guy is still in the NHL is just amazing

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Atleast he drafted Bear.....but he was terrible and I'm glad he's long gone.
Do GMs really get that involved in fifth round picks? And even if Chiarelli somehow went to the wall with his insistence that the team draft Bear, it almost makes up for the picks he squandered in the Reinhart trade.

Just gone through this entire thread. Man there are a lot of embarrassing posts here. I think the lowlights for me were posters lauding the pick up of Jokinen and mocking the Flames fans who said he was done and would be a whipping boy within months. Did he even last that long? Oh, and the guy who said Barzal would top out at four goals ... :dunce:

But beyond the embarrassing hot takes, it’s worth noting that posters who were unwilling to drink the Chiarelli Koolaid were called slugs, trolls, basement dwellers and told to leave the board and/or find another team to cheer for. Disgusting behaviour on the part of some members of the community.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The thing I liked about Chiarelli is he had a plan. Be big tough and hard to play against. Build from the back to the front and through the center. Build through the draft.

He was balls deep in his plan when the nhl changed to a faster league. Sekera was a great pickup that got injured. Klefbom a great signing that got injured too much. Lucic fell off the face of the earth far sooner than any anticipated.

I liked his plan at the time. I liked the players he brought in at the time. He rebuilt the whole blueline. He rebuilt the prospect pool that we are enjoying now. He helped a weak center position. He did that by gutting the winger position but you don't get something from nothing.

In his last year he got desperate, stupid, or vindictive and sabotaged the team.

The Caguillia and Strome trade on top of mishandling Puljujarvi completely left us without a third line. All 3 relatively talented, cost controlled RFA status players. Chiarelli left us with only 3 top 9 nhl forwards before being fired. I think it was intentional.

I honestly have no idea how we are going to recover that forward depth. Our defense is good for the foreseeable future and the Goaltending solid but for forwards outside of McDavid and Draisaitl we have one of the worst group in the nhl. Nuge is all but guarenteed to leave after next year imo. I think he is done being THE only second line player on a team.

Tippett is doing an incredible job masking our terrible forward depth but it will hit us sooner or later.

Holland is doubling down by drafting defense despite it being an area of great strength. We have no cap space to get a good UFA. Few trade chips to get one and trading is not his strength.

We need to get a lot from assets like Nuge, Larsson, and Puljujärvi. While maintaining the defense and goaltending depth Chiarelli provided.

Chiarelli left us an extremely good base of defense and goaltending. Holland with Tippett has done a good job to date/so far filling in the crazy forward holes Chiarelli made before leaving. Hopefully between our prospects and a trade or two we can get to full fledged contender status.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The thing I liked about Chiarelli is he had a plan. Be big tough and hard to play against. Build from the back to the front and through the center. Build through the draft.

He was balls deep in his plan when the nhl changed to a faster league. Sekera was a great pickup that got injured. Klefbom a great signing that got injured too much. Lucic fell off the face of the earth far sooner than any anticipated.

I liked his plan at the time. I liked the players he brought in at the time. He rebuilt the whole blueline. He rebuilt the prospect pool that we are enjoying now. He helped a weak center position. He did that by gutting the winger position but you don't get something from nothing.

In his last year he got desperate, stupid, or vindictive and sabotaged the team.

The Caguillia and Strome trade on top of mishandling Puljujarvi completely left us without a third line. All 3 relatively talented, cost controlled RFA status players. Chiarelli left us with only 3 top 9 nhl forwards before being fired. I think it was intentional.

I honestly have no idea how we are going to recover that forward depth. Our defense is good for the foreseeable future and the Goaltending solid but for forwards outside of McDavid and Draisaitl we have one of the worst group in the nhl. Nuge is all but guarenteed to leave after next year imo. I think he is done being THE only second line player on a team.

Tippett is doing an incredible job masking our terrible forward depth but it will hit us sooner or later.

Holland is doubling down by drafting defense despite it being an area of great strength. We have no cap space to get a good UFA. Few trade chips to get one and trading is not his strength.

We need to get a lot from assets like Nuge, Larsson, and Puljujärvi. While maintaining the defense and goaltending depth Chiarelli provided.

Chiarelli left us an extremely good base of defense and goaltending. Holland with Tippett has done a good job to date/so far filling in the crazy forward holes Chiarelli made before leaving. Hopefully between our prospects and a trade or two we can get to full fledged contender status.
Bullspit. Imagine what Holland couldve done with McDavid, Nuge, Draisaitl, Hall, Klefbom, Nurse and a whole lot of picks and cap space.

Reactions: Aerrol

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Bullspit. Imagine what Holland couldve done with McDavid, Nuge, Draisaitl, Hall, Klefbom, Nurse and a whole lot of picks and cap space.
At that time Nurse wasn’t a sure shot nhl player. Klefbom wasn’t a proven top 4 D. Even Drai had yet to have any success in the nhl. He was just a good prospect.

Reactions: belair

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
At that time Nurse wasn’t a sure shot nhl player. Klefbom wasn’t a proven top 4 D. Even Drai had yet to have any success in the nhl. He was just a good prospect.
A whole lot of Jultzing was a possibility.

The OBC rebuild was a complete failure, but it managed to result in one of the most fortunate things to happen in franchise history--we won the McDavid lottery.

So we stopped f***ing around. Fix the defense, build a development system and provide Edmonton with a sustainable roster.

Here we are.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Well anyone most likely could have done better than Chiarelli in regards to the Reinhart trade.

But... the only difference in your example is Hall. Who played with all those listed and sucked.

In seriousNess using his track record Holland could have overpaid all the listed and we would be worse for it. Holland might well have given Klefbom 6+. Overpaying is one of Hollands vices.

Nurse deal this year and resigning RNH next year will be big defining items on Hollands overall success. Dealing with a slew full of defensive depth and a lack of forward depth will be big items as well. Trading not a strength of Hollands either.

Right now Holland has made some good moves but is reaping the rewards of Chiarellis team building.

Take a look at the standings and see where Detroit is. That is the team Holland made. No excuses for Holland. That Detroit team is terrible top to bottom. Has been for years. Will most likely be for years. Bad signings, week drafting, horrible contracts. He is one of the worst GMs of the cap Era looking at that team.

All we can hope is he learned from his mistakes and with a fresh start can use his whole experience to help the Oilers win.

So far it's working but lets not pretend Holland is either a genius or even completely responsible for the state of the Oilers today.

Reactions: Zaddy

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
NHL GMs are paid a ridiculous amount to identify talent. Like Chiarelli already had in Klef, Drai, and Nurse. What talent did he pursue at grievous cost? Griffin Reinhart.

Reactions: harpoon

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
NHL GMs are paid a ridiculous amount to identify talent. Like Chiarelli already had in Klef, Drai, and Nurse. What talent did he pursue at grievous cost? Griffin Reinhart.
Sure but he also brought in guys like Sekera, Larsson, Benning, Talbot, Koskinen drafted guys like Bear, Jones, Samurokov, Bouchard, Benson, Maksimov, Yamamoto. He did some ridiculously bad things no doubt but also a lot of good.

Reactions: Aerchon

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Well anyone most likely could have done better than Chiarelli in regards to the Reinhart trade.

But... the only difference in your example is Hall. Who played with all those listed and sucked.

In seriousNess using his track record Holland could have overpaid all the listed and we would be worse for it. Holland might well have given Klefbom 6+. Overpaying is one of Hollands vices.

Nurse deal this year and resigning RNH next year will be big defining items on Hollands overall success. Dealing with a slew full of defensive depth and a lack of forward depth will be big items as well. Trading not a strength of Hollands either.

Right now Holland has made some good moves but is reaping the rewards of Chiarellis team building.

Take a look at the standings and see where Detroit is. That is the team Holland made. No excuses for Holland. That Detroit team is terrible top to bottom. Has been for years. Will most likely be for years. Bad signings, week drafting, horrible contracts. He is one of the worst GMs of the cap Era looking at that team.

All we can hope is he learned from his mistakes and with a fresh start can use his whole experience to help the Oilers win.

So far it's working but lets not pretend Holland is either a genius or even completely responsible for the state of the Oilers today.
The book on Holland’s tenure in Edmonton has yet to be fully written. Thats fair enough. Chiarelli’s tenure was an unmitigated disaster and yet somehow the few things that did work out, often in spite of himself, are being hailed??! The best players we have today were already Oilers assets before Chia set foot in Alberta. Connor McDavid was a Chia pick but thats the biggest gimme in NHL history. Chia’s “team building” was largely one of colossal mistakes, disgustingly bad asset management, terrible allocation of cap space, and horrible identification of talent at the pro level. Full stop.

Reactions: TB12 and harpoon

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Holland has had one season to work and made a couple of moves that have panned out so far and a few that haven't but he's mostly been constrained by the mess Chia left. he hasn't really put his stamp on the team yet.

As for Chia's team building, most of the key pieces were either here already or were no-brainers (McDavid). Outside of Kassian and Koskinen, are there any Chia guys on the roster who are impact players?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
**** Chiarelli

But I have said I didnt mind his drafting. Loved the Bear/Jones pick, and there was a couple other good bets

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad