Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So let's start with Barzal, so I'm already giving him a pass there, because he decided to make that diabolical trade for Reinhart. Otherwise the Oilers would have been able to draft either Barzal, Chabot, or Boeser. Going into the draft we only had 2 first round picks, #1 and #16 and we traded one of them. So I REALLY don't understand the premise of what you said and how us not getting any of those players has anything to do with his drafting ability. It more speaks to his inability to evaluate and properly value pro players which is a problem we all know he had.

I mean theoretically, if he doesn't deal #35 in 2015 the Oilers have a chance to select Sebastian Aho. But that all goes for not because he traded these picks.

His only real miss was Puljuljarvi and honestly if you put 30 out of 31 GMs in his position they would've taken JP as well. He looked like the undisputed #3 pick based on his stats and his performance at the WJHC, nobody predicted he would flame out like this. The only one that perhaps forshadowed it was Kekalainen when he took Dubois over JP, but even then it looked less like he didn't believe in Jesse more like he had an organizational hole at C.

The picks I'm going to look at (outside of RD 1) as being potentially very fruitful for the franchise are the following:
  • Ryan McLeod - #40 in 2018
  • Caleb Jones - #117 in 2015
  • Tyler Benson - #32 in 2016
  • Dylan Wells - #123 in 2016
  • Stuart Skinner - #78 in 2017
  • Dmitri Samorukov - #84 in 2017
  • Olivier Rodrigue - #62 in 2018
All of these players are unproven, but appear to have some to significant upside and all of which have added value to our farm system. The best part is most of them are trending up with the average age of this list being 20 years old.

To me this isn't terrible drafting, I personally think at least 5 guys on this list will be bonafide NHLers in 2-3 years.

I could throw lists like this one out there 5, 10, 15 years ago, and some of the same comments would come out. We had prospects who people fell in love with, and when they didn't pan out and got moved or dumped, there was a cry for blood. And most of them were not very good. I certainly hope some of these ones break the mold like Bear has done, but we'll see. Even Bear was on a lot of trading lists as a spare part as recent as 6 months ago.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So let's start with Barzal, so I'm already giving him a pass there, because he decided to make that diabolical trade for Reinhart. Otherwise the Oilers would have been able to draft either Barzal, Chabot, or Boeser. Going into the draft we only had 2 first round picks, #1 and #16 and we traded one of them. So I REALLY don't understand the premise of what you said and how us not getting any of those players has anything to do with his drafting ability. It more speaks to his inability to evaluate and properly value pro players which is a problem we all know he had.

I mean theoretically, if he doesn't deal #35 in 2015 the Oilers have a chance to select Sebastian Aho. But that all goes for not because he traded these picks.

His only real miss was Puljuljarvi and honestly if you put 30 out of 31 GMs in his position they would've taken JP as well. He looked like the undisputed #3 pick based on his stats and his performance at the WJHC, nobody predicted he would flame out like this. The only one that perhaps forshadowed it was Kekalainen when he took Dubois over JP, but even then it looked less like he didn't believe in Jesse more like he had an organizational hole at C.

The picks I'm going to look at (outside of RD 1) as being potentially very fruitful for the franchise are the following:
  • Ryan McLeod - #40 in 2018
  • Caleb Jones - #117 in 2015
  • Tyler Benson - #32 in 2016
  • Dylan Wells - #123 in 2016
  • Stuart Skinner - #78 in 2017
  • Dmitri Samorukov - #84 in 2017
  • Olivier Rodrigue - #62 in 2018
All of these players are unproven, but appear to have some to significant upside and all of which have added value to our farm system. The best part is most of them are trending up with the average age of this list being 20 years old.

To me this isn't terrible drafting, I personally think at least 5 guys on this list will be bonafide NHLers in 2-3 years.

Lots of teams have similar prospect pools of "maybes", Samorukov in particular given a lot of hype but his numbers in the AHL this year haven't been great.

The prospect pool for forwards looks thin.

If he had drafted any single one of Chabot, Boeser, Barzal, Connor, DeBrincat, Aho, Tkachuk, Keller ... he probably still has a job even with all his trade busts, but he couldn't deliver a bonafied impact NHL player with any of the 16th pick in 2015, the 2nd round pick in 2015, the 4th overall in 2016, the 2nd pick in 2016 ... that probably as much as anyone else sealed his fate.

You can't have that many bad trades combined with that many misses at the top end of crucial draft classes and expect to keep your job.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
He isn't as bad as we make him out to be.
He has some decent moves but also some absolutely horrific ones.
He has some decent ones no doubt, but his bad ones are so bad they tip the scale so much it's how he is remembered. And listening to him in interviews and talk doesnt do him any favors, he comes off like he doesnt know what he is doing

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He has some decent ones no doubt, but his bad ones are so bad they too the scale so much it's how he is remembered. And listen to him in interviews and talk doesnt do him any favors, he comes of like he doesnt know what he is doing

That was always the big mystery to me with Chiarelli. Here’s this guy who clearly earned his way up to the level of NHL GM, but he sounded horrible not only in interviews, but also in the footage of him executing his job. Just search “Peter Chiarelli, Tyler Seguin, Behind the B” on YouTube. I’d say he has bad “negotiation skills” but even including the word “skill” in a term regarding Chiarelli’s performance would be disingenuous.

Have ALL his moves been bad? No. But the gravity and nature of his bad moves, coupled with the way he sounds when he talks, makes him come off as incompetent.

He has to have made it to the level of NHL GM for a reason, but he just made way too many numbskull moves.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
That was always the big mystery to me with Chiarelli. Here’s this guy who clearly earned his way up to the level of NHL GM, but he sounded horrible not only in interviews, but also in the footage of him executing his job. Just search “Peter Chiarelli, Tyler Seguin, Behind the B” on YouTube. I’d say he has bad “negotiation skills” but even including the word “skill” in a term regarding Chiarelli’s performance would be disingenuous.

Have ALL his moves been bad? No. But the gravity and nature of his bad moves, coupled with the way he sounds when he talks, makes him come off as incompetent.

He has to have made it to the level of NHL GM for a reason, but he just made way too many numbskull moves.

Possibly had the right people under him giving him direction???? I mean he does have a Law Degree

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Not commenting on your post but I just wanted to say that I approve of your Avatar. :thumbu: :nod:

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
This thread title should be renamed.

Pistol Pete did some good but damagd the team for years to come. Luckily Treliving likes Oilers retreads.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Ryan Strome

22 points in 23 games. 39th in league scoring.

Damn you Chia. For every good thing you did, you two things worse.

Sign McDavid Max Deal / Trade Hall for Larsson
Sign Draisaitl Max Deal / Trade picks for Reinhart
Drafted Bear / Trade Eberle for Strome
Sign Koskinen / Trade Strome for Spooner
Signed Chiasson / Signed Reider

There are more negatives:

Signed Lucic
Missed on the JP draft pick (probably)
Traded Caggiula for Manning
Traded a 3rd for Petrovic
Traded Schultz for a 3rd
Had control of the 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 drafts (27 picks). Only McDavid, Bear, and Jones currently on roster and Jones is not great.

Last edited:

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Ryan Strome

22 points in 23 games. 39th in league scoring.

Damn you Chia. For every good thing you did, you two things worse.

Sign McDavid Max Deal / Trade Hall for Larsson
Sign Draisaitl Max Deal / Trade picks for Reinhart
Drafted Bear / Trade Eberle for Strome
Sign Koskinen / Trade Strome for Spooner
Signed Chiasson / Signed Reider

There are more negatives:

Signed Lucic
Missed on the JP draft pick (probably)
Traded Caggiula for Manning
Traded a 3rd for Petrovic
Traded Schultz for a 3rd
Had control of the 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 drafts (27 picks). Only McDavid, Bear, and Jones currently on roster and Jones is not great.

Nevermind. Delete.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Strome's production aside the guy was finding a comfortable role as 3C PK man and was getting the chances. He had value to the team.

At least if he was dealt for another center it would have been easier to handle, but he was dealt for a winger first guy that wasn't doing anything in New York.

Maybe 3.1mil is a bit much for zero production, but we had to move him for either a cheaper guy that was a center or at least a winger that could play. Instead we traded him for a struggling winger that brought no intangibles to the table.

Reactions: belair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad