Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think what Dom is saying is they don't have a choice, as Cehlarik was an emergency recall, and not a regular recall, rules state he has to be the guy sent down. Teams only get so many regular recalls to use per season.

The bolded is only true after trade deadline (max of four allowed, no limit once playoffs begin). There is no limit the rest of the season)

But it is fact, emergency recalls have to be the first sent back (Agostino was an emergency recall as well and already sent down).

Marchand and Bjork were placed on IR retroactive to November 11, meaning both are eligible to come off as early as yesterday. Once activated, Cehlarik will be back in Providence (again, barring another move)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The bolded is only true after trade deadline (max of four allowed, no limit once playoffs begin). There is no limit the rest of the season)

But it is fact, emergency recalls have to be the first sent back (Agostino was an emergency recall as well and already sent down).

Marchand and Bjork were placed on IR retroactive to November 11, meaning both are eligible to come off as early as yesterday. Once activated, Cehlarik will be back in Providence (again, barring another move)

Is there anything stopping them from assigning Cehlarik back to Providence, then placing Beleskey on waivers for the purposes of assigning him to Providence, and using a regular recall on Cehlarik?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Is there anything stopping them from assigning Cehlarik back to Providence, then placing Beleskey on waivers for the purposes of assigning him to Providence, and using a regular recall on Cehlarik?

Nope, not at all. In fact, it would be just a paper transaction in Cehlarik's case.

I understand why the Bruins would be hesitant in waiving and then demoting Beleskey. ( I am not going to go into great detail as to why they wouldn't). And their reasons are legit.

They are going to have to weight the pros and cons involved. As a fan, I would like to see him sent down. But if I were GM, well, I am not a contender therefore the cons might just outweigh the pros.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nope, not at all. In fact, it would be just a paper transaction in Cehlarik's case.

I understand why the Bruins would be hesitant in waiving and then demoting Beleskey. ( I am not going to go into great detail as to why they wouldn't). And their reasons are legit.

They are going to have to weight the pros and cons involved. As a fan, I would like to see him sent down. But if I were GM, well, I am not a contender therefore the cons might just outweigh the pros.

Well with Spooner and Backes both skating today, seems their return isn't too far off, and in Backes case, way ahead of schedule. He may be still a couple weeks away, which is still earlier than the initial prediction of roughly Xmas/New Years.

Sweeney will have some work to do to even have enough roster space, even with Cehlarik demoted, especially if they don't waive Beleskey.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa

Is there any chance you could give us a little bit of the reasoning why keeping Beleskey up makes sense? As a fan he just seems to be hurting the team staying on the roster.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Is there any chance you could give us a little bit of the reasoning why keeping Beleskey up makes sense? As a fan he just seems to be hurting the team staying on the roster.

Trying to separate the fan versus GM part - well hard to do.

As much as we hate the contract/player/etc, MB39 took a discount to sign in Boston. Think about the message that sends. Not to mention that, if you dump him in Providence without giving the agent a real opportunity in trying to work out a trade, you've now ticked off the agent - try negotiating with that in the future.

If the team were a contender, different scenario. But it's not, so maybe you bite the bullet.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa

As much as we hate the contract/player/etc, MB39 took a discount to sign in Boston. Think about the message that sends. Not to mention that, if you dump him in Providence without giving the agent a real opportunity in trying to work out a trade, you've now ticked off the agent - try negotiating with that in the future.

If the team were a contender, different scenario. But it's not, so maybe you bite the bullet.
That makes sense, I really appreciate the info.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Makes sense.

Seems like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. And in the middle of all of this is it appears they have a coach who seems to have little to no use for the player.

By all accounts Beleskey put in the work in the off-season to become a better/quicker player, but it hasn't translated into results. I'm sure he's a proud guy, I wonder how long he will accept being the "21st skater" on the roster, or will this at some point all come to a head during the season between management and the agent/player.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

No he didn't take a discount,

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
they better not send him down.
kuraly, vatrano, nash, schaller beleskey, all should go before Cehlarik.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

I can understand giving the agent a chance to work on a trade, but if a player is performing as poorly as Beleskey I don't know if that sends a bad message to other players. If the general HF community knows MB is not playing up to his contract, and has for a year and a quarter, then other nhl players know it as well. You are in touch with the league, so if you think it might be an issue, it
probably would be.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Let me rephrase that:

Beleskey turned down more per season to sign with the Bruins.

Murray publicly stated that MB39 turned down $4 million per season from the Ducks. The difference being the Ducks offer was 4 years.
However, the Bruins offered more total money. Also, if you factor in state taxes in California and state taxes in Massachusetts, 200k a year is not that large. I know it becomes complicated because athletes have to file in every jurisdiction they played, but I think that extra year and tax ends up adding 20-25% more after tax money overall.

I don't think loyalty is necessary, he made the best choice for his future. The Bruins should do the same for theirs.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
However, the Bruins offered more total money. Also, if you factor in state taxes in California and state taxes in Massachusetts, 200k a year is not that large. I know it becomes complicated because athletes have to file in every jurisdiction they played, but I think that extra year and tax ends up adding 20-25% more after tax money overall.

I don't think loyalty is necessary, he made the best choice for his future. The Bruins should do the same for theirs.
I think what he was saying (not to put words in Dom's mouth) is that they are trying to make the best choice for their future and burning a bridge with Beleskey may hinder the image of the franchise in the eyes of other free agents and make it harder or more expensive to sign UFA in the future.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
I think what he was saying (not to put words in Dom's mouth) is that they are trying to make the best choice for their future and burning a bridge with Beleskey may hinder the image of the franchise in the eyes of other free agents and make it harder or more expensive to sign UFA in the future.

I see both sides of the argument but when a player has played so far below expectations for such a sustained period, I don't think a potential UFA would fault Boston for waiving him as this is an exceptional case of underperformance.

Reactions: Estlin

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Should have had an assist on his own goal, honestly! :)
So should Dobby, he redirected the shot to the boards and Cehlarik picked it up directly. Cehlarik has rounded into a good player from the guy I seen in the World Juniors. Be nice to get back talking about him and not Belbusky.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

The part about Dom's point that gives me pause though is that they aren't contenders. Yes Cehlarik is a better option for them, but they're not very good regardless of which they choose. In the end, does the difference between those two players matter enough to risk whatever downside there'd be? Quite possibly yes, but I have no idea. To be honest I don't know why anyone, including the agent, would hold it against Boston considering how downright terrible Beleskey is and how it's entirely on him (not injured, not a coaching issue, etc.), but what do I know.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Let me rephrase that:

Beleskey turned down more per season to sign with the Bruins.

Murray publicly stated that MB39 turned down $4 million per season from the Ducks. The difference being the Ducks offer was 4 years.

he's welcome to take beleskey now :D

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If Beleskey's agent can find a way to work out a trade on behalf of his client, Bruins should triple his commission out of the team coffers, as that would be pulling off the near impossible :laugh: I get the GM side of MB, but I want him gone, and until he leaves, I guess I'll continue to feel that way. Cehlarik (as it IS the Cehlarik thread) is bringing a lot more to the team the MB is right now. He's probably my favorite prospect/young B not named McAvoy. However, if he does go back to Providence, that might be preferable because he'll play quality minutes down there- rather that than have him sit in the pressbox.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
No he didn't take a discount,
dom is very correct that teams must give consideration to how they treat vets. free agency isnt as big a thing now as it was 20 years ago but teams definitely benefit or struggle based on how vets feel they will be treated

winning and losing might effect vets decesion to sign... city life... family interests... theres other factors how a vet decides but being treated with respect and professionalism is high on the list.

id argue under the sinden regiem we had a reputation for not being a great place to get paid. we had a cheap reputation. then when oconnell embaress oates publically i think it turned total crap here until there was a front office change. we couldnt convince any decent ufa to sign because of how we acted

on flip side detroit convinced every good retiring hof vet to come play for cheap on their 3rd line for years and they all said it was because how classy detroit treated them.

for vets it matters

Reactions: PlayMakers

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think what Dom is saying is they don't have a choice, as Cehlarik was an emergency recall, and not a regular recall, rules state he has to be the guy sent down. Teams only get so many regular recalls to use per season.

in the current lineup who is on regular recall status and who are on emerency? (is it Celly , Szwarz and O'gara?)

how can Cehlarik have his status changed to regular recall?

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008

It goes both ways, a lot of visitors pay full price admission however get in return only a discounted performance of MB39.

Keep Cehlarik Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad