Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik - II

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Cehlarik reminds me of

- Couturier body (6'2)/skating (not fluid)/scoring touch (decent shot/tip ins) and Krejci passing sense/saucer passes

Not as good defensively as Couturier nor has the puck handling ability as Krejci ... but still an intriguing package

Looking forward to see what he can provide on day 2/b2b game ... I'am sure scouts are keeping a close eye (trade deadline)

BruinsNetwork

Cehlarik reminds me of

- Couturier body (6'2)/skating (not fluid)/scoring touch (decent shot/tip ins) and Krejci passing sense/saucer passes

Not as good defensively as Couturier nor has the puck handling ability as Krejci ... but still an intriguing package

Looking forward to see what he can provide on day 2/b2b game ... I'am sure scouts are keeping a close eye (trade deadline)

Personally, he’s always reminded me of Loui. Obviously I’m not saying he’s going to be as good as him, but the way he moves and plays, I think there’s a good comparable to be had there.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So then take an underperforming guy from the one of the higher lines, move him down in exchange for the player on the 4th line whose producing, and vice-versa.

Coming out of camp would of been a perfect opportunity. They had Donato and Bjork on the Top 3 lines. They could of put Cehlarik on the 4th line and if he performed well, move him up and one of the under-performing young guys down. Internal competition, which should be a good thing, not a bad thing.

We saw it in 2010-11. Marchand started on the 4th, Jordan Caron was actually on the Bergeron-Recchi line for a time early that season. Marchand performed, Caron didn't, eventually they made the switch and away they go.

A carved-in-stone 4th line to me hand-cuffs coaches, why can't it just be 12 forwards competing for ice-time and opportunities. Make in-game adjustments. If you feel you need some momentum, toss your 3 most physical forwards together for a few shifts. No problem.

I just think that in today's game, you need much more flexibility in your line-up. Absolute permanent 4th lines hinder that flexibility, and in the long run hurt your team. It's an antiquated way of putting together a line-up IMO. I don't care about lines having "identity" or "roles". I just want 4 lines that I can GENERALLY roll through 5 on 5 that are all simply trying to play the best hockey they possibly can at both ends of the ice.

It's not really plug and play though. Who on the 4th line is honestly capable of moving into a scoring role? Nobody I see. The reason Marchand was able to do that is because he's a special player with actual skill and they were giving him a shot to earn his place on the roster, and then move up if he performed. The equivalent of that today would be have had to be a player Donato/Cehlarik/JFK/Senyshyn down there and then swapped him in when a guy in the top six like Heinen/Bjork/Donato didn't perform. As that's not how they constituted their 4th line this year, it was never going to happen.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I just think that in today's game, you need much more flexibility in your line-up. Absolute permanent 4th lines hinder that flexibility, and in the long run hurt your team. It's an antiquated way of putting together a line-up IMO. I don't care about lines having "identity" or "roles". I just want 4 lines that I can GENERALLY roll through 5 on 5 that are all simply trying to play the best hockey they possibly can at both ends of the ice.

If you have the NHL-ready players, sure. But, some players just aren't ready for the show and the team wants them to develop a little more in the minors to show them something. Some teams just don't have the talent to ice a JT Miller and Ryan Callahan on their 4th line like Tampa does. Currently, our 4th line is considered to be one of the best in the league. I don't think traditional, grinder types on the 4th line are out of place at all in today's NHL.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's not really plug and play though. Who on the 4th line is honestly capable of moving into a scoring role? Nobody I see. The reason Marchand was able to do that is because he's a special player with actual skill and they were giving him a shot to earn his place on the roster, and then move up if he performed. The equivalent of that today would be have had to be a player Donato/Cehlarik/JFK/Senyshyn down there and then swapped him in when a guy in the top six like Heinen/Bjork/Donato didn't perform. As that's not how they constituted their 4th line this year, it was never going to happen.

Of course they weren't, they were going to roll out 3 grinders on the 4th line no matter what.

I think it's the wrong approach to be as inflexible as that in terms of who you have on your roster.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If you have the NHL-ready players, sure. But, some players just aren't ready for the show and the team wants them to develop a little more in the minors to show them something. Some teams just don't have the talent to ice a JT Miller and Ryan Callahan on their 4th line like Tampa does. Currently, our 4th line is considered to be one of the best in the league. I don't think traditional, grinder types on the 4th line are out of place at all in today's NHL.

Let's back this up a bit. This version of the 4th line has what, two weeks together? Acciari wasn't even on that line on Jan.1., and he's not there tonight. Probably should pump the breaks on this "among the best 4th lines in the league" stuff.

There was a point last year folks thought out 3rd line of Heinen-Nash-Backes was one of the best in the league because they caught lightning in a bottle for about 6 weeks. But once they got to January, it really tailed off.

We had a vaunted 4th line here last year with Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari. The same kind of statements made that we're hearing now.

And come playoff time they were ineffective. Schaller I thought was flat out brutal, just couldn't keep up with the increased pace. Acciari wasn't much better. For all their "heavy-ness" and "energy" that I keep hearing will be more important come playoff time, they weren't just a non-factor, they were a negative factor in the TB series.

There is nothing wrong with using a traditional 4th line from time to time. Nothing at all. My point is why does it have to be such a major factor in line-up and roster decision making? Why do you need an "energy line" dressed for every game? Why would you demote a player who was one of the better players in preseason just so you can have a far lesser player on your roster? It's not like Cehlarik was a 1st year pro or a 19-year old kid, he was going into his 3rd AHL season after playing against men overseas. They couldn't try him out for a few games to start the year at the expense of one of the 4th line grinder crew?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Let's back this up a bit. This version of the 4th line has what, two weeks together? Acciari wasn't even on that line on Jan.1., and he's not there tonight. Probably should pump the breaks on this "among the best 4th lines in the league" stuff.

There was a point last year folks thought out 3rd line of Heinen-Nash-Backes was one of the best in the league because they caught lightning in a bottle for about 6 weeks. But once they got to January, it really tailed off.

We had a vaunted 4th line here last year with Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari. The same kind of statements made that we're hearing now.

And come playoff time they were ineffective. Schaller I thought was flat out brutal, just couldn't keep up with the increased pace. Acciari wasn't much better. For all their "heavy-ness" and "energy" that I keep hearing will be more important come playoff time, they weren't just a non-factor, they were a negative factor in the TB series.

There is nothing wrong with using a traditional 4th line from time to time. Nothing at all. My point is why does it have to be such a major factor in line-up and roster decision making? Why do you need an "energy line" dressed for every game? Why would you demote a player who was one of the better players in preseason just so you can have a far lesser player on your roster? It's not like Cehlarik was a 1st year pro or a 19-year old kid, he was going into his 3rd AHL season after playing against men overseas. They couldn't try him out for a few games to start the year at the expense of one of the 4th line grinder crew?

Wagner, Accari, and Kuraly have spent over 220 minutes together as a line, which is the 2nd most used combination for the team.

Look around at what other fans comment on... I've seen compliments on our 4th line and how it's one of the better ones they've seen this year. You hear compliments on it from national broadcasts or when you listen to other team's broadcasts. People are taking notice of them and their play right now.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Wagner, Accari, and Kuraly have spent over 220 minutes together as a line, which is the 2nd most used combination for the team.

Look around at what other fans comment on... I've seen compliments on our 4th line and how it's one of the better ones they've seen this year. You hear compliments on it from national broadcasts or when you listen to other team's broadcasts. People are taking notice of them and their play right now.

Because they have a small stretch of good play since they were re-united the game after the winter classic.

For all their minutes together, they were lousy before that.

Reactions: GoBs

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
He looks a lot better this time up, seems to have a lot more confidence and isn’t hesitating like he was last time

Reactions: Pomee

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I just got in from my son’s practice and saw the last 5-7 minutes.

Cehlarik very good.

I don’t care what you guys say though, he is f***ing slow. Heinen looks like a burner next to him :laugh:

He keeps playing like this, I won’t be pumping the breaks as much. He does remind me of Heinen in that they both use an ability to read the play and see the ice to make up for the lack of speed.

If (big if still) he can fill that 2nd line hole, and the B’s can get a guy like Schenn, they can put him at 3C and really bump that line up.

Reactions: sleepyh

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Cehlarik very good.

I don’t care what you guys say though, he is ****ing slow. Heinen looks like a burner next to him :laugh:

He keeps playing like this, I won’t be pumping the breaks as much. He does remind me of Heinen in that they both use an ability to read the play and see the ice to make up for the lack of speed.

If (big if still) he can fill that 2nd line hole, and the B’s can get a guy like Schenn, they can put him at 3C and really bump that line up.

Yeah he is pretty slow. Seems to have one speed without much oomph from a start

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
The effort does appear to be there. He’s going to be one of those guys like Lucic, Heinen, etc., that has to be moving their feet to be effective.

Yeah which makes you wonder if he can be one of those guys like Kevan Millar who can improve his skating. Would be nice if he has that in him

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia

Cehlarik very good.

I don’t care what you guys say though, he is ****ing slow. Heinen looks like a burner next to him :laugh:

He doesnt have a speed like Gaborik, but tonite its quite normal.

Btw, you really like this Heinen, right?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah which makes you wonder if he can be one of those guys like Kevan Millar who can improve his skating. Would be nice if he has that in him

I think guys can definitely improve their skating, but I’m not sure how much? In the past, I know that both Krejci and Lucic were able to bump up their wheels to “not suck” :laugh:.

Miller got better as well, but none of them will be mistaken for Yvan Cournoyer.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I think guys can definitely improve their skating, but I’m not sure how much? In the past, I know that both Krejci and Lucic were able to bump up their wheels to “not suck” :laugh:.

Miller got better as well, but none of them will be mistaken for Yvan Cournoyer.

Hahahaha oh hell no, but Miller’s improvement was eye opening and he’s a tad heavier than Cehlarik I think. But that doesn’t mean squat, it’s all about dedication and if he’s physically capable of making big improvements with his skating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad