News Article: Perfect Ast GM for Habs now avaiable

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
when Lou signed with Toronto is was already determined he would be GM only for 3 years, then be senior advisor.....this news should not be a shock to anybody

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
No, not telling you that. I'm asking about Lou. What has he done for the Leafs? What are his good moves and how has he made the Leafs better?

he brought them from a 50 point team to a 100 point team, and from last place in the league to 7th in the league in 3 years....that is enough said right there....open your eyes once in awhile....i guess other teams are passing us so damn fast that you are unable to see them fly right by us

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
he brought them from a 50 point team to a 100 point team, and from last place in the league to 7th in the league in 3 years....that is enough said right there....open your eyes once in awhile....i guess other teams are passing us so damn fast that you are unable to see them fly right by us

Lou was not the one responsible for building their young core. Try again.

Reactions: Belial

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
For once I agree with LTQ. Lou has not done anything of note in Toronto. Pieces like Marner, Kadri and Nylander were already drafted before he came on board. The team finished last his first year and got the 1st overall pick in Matthews, can't really give him credit for that either. His biggest move was signing Marleau, although Marleau was a solid contributor, his contract might hurt in the coming two seasons.

Lou is way past his prime and his old age rules (not shaving) is just too much. I prefer a younger, proactive GM. Wish Molson had the balls to steal Dubas from Toronto but alas I expect the Leafs to name him GM now.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
For once I agree with LTQ. Lou has not done anything of note in Toronto. Pieces like Marner, Kadri and Nylander were already drafted before he came on board. The team finished last his first year and got the 1st overall pick in Matthews, can't really give him credit for that either. His biggest move was signing Marleau, although Marleau was a solid contributor, his contract might hurt in the coming two seasons.

Lou is way past his prime and his old age rules (not shaving) is just too much. I prefer a younger, proactive GM. Wish Molson had the balls to steal Dubas from Toronto but alas I expect the Leafs to name him GM now.

I agree that Lou is way past his prime and a fossil when it comes to his rules, but I disagree on Marleau. He hasn't missed a regular season game in 9 years. Even if his goal scoring drops to under 20 goals, he was really signed to be an important veteran in the locker room for the kids, and will be worth his salary for that.

Reactions: habsgirl5000

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I agree that Lou is way past his prime and a fossil when it comes to his rules, but I disagree on Marleau. He hasn't missed a regular season game in 9 years. Even if his goal scoring drops to under 20 goals, he was really signed to be an important veteran in the locker room for the kids, and will be worth his salary for that.

Marleau was a fine move, I agree but can't really say that it made his tenure in Toronto a success. The team organically improve by having solid prospects and the eventual 1st overall pick. Not even sure if he was the one that got Andersen, pretty sure the trade happened before he was hired.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
What has LL done for the Leafs? He signs Marleau to a 3 year deal which might hurt them in signing Doughty and trades a 2nd for Pleky where they lose in the 1st round.

Curious... what good moves has Lou done for the Leafs?

Depends, what standard are we using to define good? Keep in mind he actually had a planned and successful tank to get Matthews... something people somehow praise Bergevin for this season.

Frederick Andersen was a pretty decent pickup and he picked up a lot of picks/made cap dumps without giving up anything. He's technically been GM less that 3 years.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Depends, what standard are we using to define good? Keep in mind he actually had a planned and successful tank to get Matthews... something people somehow praise Bergevin for this season.

The tank plan was already in place before he was hired. I remember Babcock saying that pain was coming in his intro presser.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Frederick Andersen was a pretty decent pickup and he picked up a lot of picks/made cap dumps without giving up anything. He's technically been GM less that 3 years.

Was that Lou's plan or BS plan?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

I can't imagine anyone praising MB for this past season...we got to be a lottery team again, because MB is a clown, and an idiot in his assessments.

Anyhow, Lou is staying on as an advisor....with the Leafs. This is something that MB should also be told...but Molson doesn't seem to have the stones...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
The tank plan was already in place before he was hired. I remember Babcock saying that pain was coming in his intro presser.

Just pointing out he was part of the people who made it happen. Getting rid of monster contracts like Phaneuf and getting back some value like a 2nd without giving anything up. Don't know why he shouldn't be part of that credit.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Lou was not the one responsible for building their young core. Try again.

Read the article below....some highlights of his few short year in TO stabilizing the club
CICK HERE>The Complete Reign of Lou Lamoriello (So Far)

He managed to lock Kadri and Rielly into long term deals 6 years...at 4.5 -5 million av........that is pretty nice gold ...He got out from under that horrible supposed untradable Dion Pneauf contract that wasn't his ....and he picked ...Auston Matthews...

He didnt trade Subban..lol
and i bet he never would have gave Price that type of deal...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Unless you think BS would have hired Lou without being on the same page, why shouldn't he receive credit for being the GM for that successful tank?

Does Bergevin get credit for inheriting Price, Subban, Patch and drafting Galchnyuk?

Lou's moves that I can think of:

- Signs Marleau to a 3 year deal at $6.25M (age 38-40)

- Signs Zaitsev to a 7 year deal at $4.5M (age 26-32) Zaitsev had 13 pts in 60 games this year. Sounds like a Emelin contract to me and Bergevin got heat for that contract!

- Trades a 2nd round pick and other assets for Pleky where they lose in the 1st round.

I ask again, what are Lou's good moves for the Leafs?

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

i guess MB is a better GM then Lou....Lou had to carefully plan out his tank....MB tanked without even trying :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Does Bergevin get credit for inheriting Price, Subban, Patch and drafting Galchnyuk?

Lou's moves that I can think of:

- Signs Marleau to a 3 year deal at $6.25M (age 38-40)

- Signs Zaitsev to a 7 year deal at $4.5M (age 26-32) Zaitsev had 13 pts in 60 games this year. Sounds like a Emelin contract to me and Bergevin got heat for that contract!

- Trades a 2nd round pick and other assets for Pleky where they lose in the 1st round.

I ask again, what are Lou's good moves for the Leafs?

Ron Hainesy for 2 seasons was a better pick up then Alzner...or Jordie Benn or Schemleonko

Marleau 4 goals 1 ast in 7 games in playoffs..what is wrong with that..

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ron Hainesy for 2 seasons was a better pick up the Alzner...

Agreed. But the point is I'm not so sure Lou improved the Leafs to a point where they are legit cup contenders. We can measure Bergevin's ability to find a top 2 center but we can't measure Lou's ability to find a PMD? I guess Bergevin had more time as GM so we can't compare the two?

mehavecable

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
No, not telling you that. I'm asking about Lou. What has he done for the Leafs? What are his good moves and how has he made the Leafs better?

He didn't make bad trades; allowed a young team to develop. Helped establish a level of professionalism that was lacking before in the org.

May not seem like much but it's important. A new GM will come into a very good situation.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Agreed. But the point is I'm not so sure Lou improved the Leafs to a point where they are legit cup contenders. We can measure Bergevin's ability to find a top 2 center but we can't measure Lou's ability to find a PMD? I guess Bergevin had more time as GM so we can't compare the two?

The Leafs were a mess..there not supposed to be Cup contenders yet...he brought them back to playoffs ...they got a foundation now..

I wish we had Marleau ....at 38 yrs old....
4 goals 1 ast in 7 games in playoffs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He didn't make bad trades; allowed a young team to develop. Helped establish a level of professionalism that was lacking before in the org.

May not seem like much but it's important. A new GM will come into a very good situation.

The new GM will come in to pretty much the same situation Lou came into. Congrats, he really did nothing. Not saying Bergevin is better than Lou, I'm saying I don't see too much good Lou did with the Leafs. He was not able to acquire what they needed which was a PMD. Something Bergevin is criticized for with our top 2 center.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Leafs were a mess..there not supposed to be Cup contenders yet...he brought them back to playoffs ...they got a foundation now..

I wish we had Marleau ....at 38 yrs old....
4 goals 1 ast in 7 games in playoffs

Leafs had a great prospect pool and Lou pretty much gave away Kessel and Captain Pylon. Shanahan deserves the credit for the rebuild IMO. Not Lou. I don't hate Lou but I don't see his improvements.

Marleau from age 38-40. No way I want that contract. If Bergevin signed that this past off season, he would be criticized for it and you know it!

If you want to hire Lou as an advisor, I think it's a smart move. However, he has not done that much for the Leafs as their GM IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad