News Article: Perfect Ast GM for Habs now avaiable

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Francis to replace Bergy but it will never happen because he's not french.

I would offer the GM job or ast GM to 84 year old Scotty Bowman ,long before i made Newy or Ron management in Montreal..nothing there for me that jumps right out saying bring them here...what did Newy do in Dallas or Toronto in management???? Ron management in Car?not much success...

Again both great great players...but on the management side, nothing to write home about..

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I would offer the GM job or ast GM to 84 year old Scotty Bowman ,long before i made Newy or Ron management in Montreal..nothing there for me that jumps right out saying bring them here...what did Newy do in Dallas or Toronto in management???? Ron management in Car?not much success...

Again both great great players...but on the management side, nothing to write home about..

I agree for Joe but Ron Francis did a good job in Carolina, just didn't found a goalie

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I agree for Joe but Ron Francis did a good job in Carolina, just didn't found a goalie

then he failed...lol

sorrta like building a 10 million dollar house , but not being able find roofing shingles to put on it ...That was the same problem they have in Philadelphia for all these years ,some good teams but their GM''s cant find goalies for whatever reason i dunno.....that's a fail on management...much the same way Montreal just cant seem to ever find big legit number 1 centers..a failure....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree that Lou is way past his prime and a fossil when it comes to his rules, but I disagree on Marleau. He hasn't missed a regular season game in 9 years. Even if his goal scoring drops to under 20 goals, he was really signed to be an important veteran in the locker room for the kids, and will be worth his salary for that.

Age 38-40. I would agree with you if it was a 2 year deal. The 3rd year might hurt them big time! Especially if they want to try to sign Doughty. That $6M+ in cap space for a 40 year old will not be that easy to move.. even if his actual salary is less.

I hope the Leafs do more moves like this to be honest. Also very curious to see if they re-sign JVR and Bozak. I think those two are more important to their offensive success than they are willing to admit. If they let them go, they are going to take a step back. If they re-sign them, I hope they overpay and have no cap space moving forward.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Reactions: groovejuice

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The deal Lamoriello signed in Toronto was for him to be GM for three years and after that to become the senior advisor of the franchise for the next four years. That was the deal he agreed to.
So Lamoriello knew what might be coming, even as he went to work Monday morning figuring he was still GM of the Leafs and was going to continue in that role until someone told him differently.
In their meeting in the morning, Shanahan told him differently. They shook hands. They’ve known each other forever. They grew up in the NHL together. And now maybe they’re together, more likely that Lamoriello says goodbye.
However it ends, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt. It doesn’t mean it was easy for Shanahan to make the move or for Lamoriello to accept it.SIMMONS: Time for Maple Leafs to replace GM Lou Lamoriello wasn't now

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Age 38-40. I would agree with you if it was a 2 year deal. The 3rd year might hurt them big time! Especially if they want to try to sign Doughty. That $6M+ in cap space for a 40 year old will not be that easy to move.. even if his actual salary is less.

I hope the Leafs do more moves like this to be honest. Also very curious to see if they re-sign JVR and Bozak. I think those two are more important to their offensive success than they are willing to admit. If they let them go, they are going to take a step back. If they re-sign them, I hope they overpay and have no cap space moving forward.

After their playoff performance I doubt it. Toronto is freeing up $15M plus $5M in LTIR this summer. A good chunk will go towards Marner and Matthews but after Gardiner's performance he's likely on the trade block as well. Someone will take him for pure offence if they are going after Doughty or another major D. Toronto's cap is fine with Marleau.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Look if Lou gets a GM job, I don't see why he would stay. That's not a kindergarden.

He's 75 years old, ready for retirement, most likely doesn't need extra funds, and gets a low pressure high paying job with the Leafs as a consultant where he can stay involved with little work.

Why would he want a "start over" high pressure GM job?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Chuck Fletcher be a good assistant.

I'm hoping the Habs are waiting til Tampa gets out of playoffs ..then approaches Breessssssssbois as ast GM ....Bergy fails next season ? well then mid season he gets canned Bresbois takes over...then when TampaBay fires Steve Yzerman 3 - 4 years from now , hire him ...

Bresbois and Steve Yzerman as ast in Montreal....

Ducharme and Bouchard on the bench..

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I don't want Lou anywhere around this team.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Luo really wasn’t asked to do to much so it’s impossible to call him successful or a failure. Their management has worked as a complete team whether it’s Shannahan, Lou, Babcock, etc and they have a plan, something we clearly didn’t have or failed miserably at.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not enough playoff rounds won in the recent years to warrant any serious consideration.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I was a big fan of Lou, but have to agree he's no longer the guy we need. Still waiting for the light-bulb to go on and hire Dean Lombardi, who's a smart dude, old enough to play the angles, young enough to engineer another winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->