Perezhogin in Montreal next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
IMO the year long suspension was a bad joke on the part of the AHL, but the NHL should force him to serve at least 15 games. I would lose a bit of respect for the Habs and Gainey if they totally circumvented the AHL ban.

adichiara03

Jun 19, 2004
I cant believe your happy he might not get punished for almost killing a guy. Thats horrible.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
This is great news... I also do not agree with the suspension given out by the AHL..
He really did not mean to hurt him, it was more of a reaction then anything.. I would like the NHL to prevent him from playing about 15 games but not the whole season.. Imagine:

Perez-Koivu-Kovalev on the first line..... Wow!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
adichiara03 said:
I cant believe your happy he might not get punished for almost killing a guy. Thats horrible.

The longest suspension in AHL history is not punishment? The guy has never done this before, he has no history of anything like this, none.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
montreal said:
The longest suspension in AHL history is not punishment? The guy has never done this before, he has no history of anything like this, none.
What does history have anything to do with it? HE DID IT and thats all that matters. He deserves his punishment and if he plays in the NHL with no penalty I will lose total respect for the league.

adichiara03

Jun 19, 2004
"The longest suspension in AHL history is not punishment? The guy has never done this before, he has no history of anything like this, none."

Its not punishment if he plays in the NHL.

So Ill go out and shoot someone, Ive never done it before, so I shouldnt be punsihed? Thats a load of crap. I hope you feel Bertuzzi doesnt deserve to be punished either, hes never done it before.

Reilly311

I think people are forgetting Perezhogin almost got his head taken off before the incident :teach:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dan Galvin said:
What does history have anything to do with it? HE DID IT and thats all that matters. He deserves his punishment and if he plays in the NHL with no penalty I will lose total respect for the league.

Yes he did it and got suspended, case closed. There's nothing the AHL can do about it, and I doubt the NHL can suspend him a full year unless they want a lawsuit. As for you losing respect for the league, I think they will be ok with that. Why not write them about it?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
adichiara03 said:
"The longest suspension in AHL history is not punishment? The guy has never done this before, he has no history of anything like this, none."

Its not punishment if he plays in the NHL.

So Ill go out and shoot someone, Ive never done it before, so I shouldnt be punsihed? Thats a load of crap. I hope you feel Bertuzzi doesnt deserve to be punished either, hes never done it before.

Yes it is punishment. He played in the AHL and now is suspended from the AHL, it has nothing to do with the NHL.

If you go out and shoot someone that's on you, but it has nothing to do with hockey. btw, if someone shoots at you first you are just defending yourself reguardless if you've done it before or not.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
When Jason Labarbera threw his stick after an AHL loss the year before last he was suspended for a few games. And the NHL would not allow him to be on the active roster and get some time.

If the NHL allows Perezhogin to play it will be totaly hypocritical of itself.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
montreal said:
Yes he did it and got suspended, case closed. There's nothing the AHL can do about it, and I doubt the NHL can suspend him a full year unless they want a lawsuit. As for you losing respect for the league, I think they will be ok with that. Why not write them about it?

A lawsuit? From who? They have every right to suspend him a full year.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
montreal said:
Yes it is punishment. He played in the AHL and now is suspended from the AHL, it has nothing to do with the NHL.

If you go out and shoot someone that's on you, but it has nothing to do with hockey. btw, if someone shoots at you first you are just defending yourself reguardless if you've done it before or not.

It was not self defense. Did he think Stafford was going to start swinging his stick even more in an attempt to injure and make up for the miss and putting Stafford into a seizure was the only way to protect himself? I wish you could see, objectively, what you are saying here.

If you commit a serious crime and are sentenced to prison in one state, but you are allowed to live in other states, as a free man, if you can make it there, wouldn't that be skirting the punishment?

The bottom line is this: It was a completely unnecessary act of violence that served no purpose and could have cost a person his life (still might cost him his playing career). He will be getting off with little to no punishment if he is allowed to play in the NHL next year without missing any games. Surely even the biggest homers can see this.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reveille said:
A lawsuit? From who? They have every right to suspend him a full year.

Campbell even said he doubts they can legally suspend him for one year. Are you going to tell me you know more then him?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
montreal said:
Campbell even said he doubts they can legally suspend him for one year. Are you going to tell me you know more then him?

Why would he have doubts they can legally suspend him?

I don't see why that would be a problem. He can go back to his home country to play for a year.

I'm not even sayign suspend him the full year. But suspend him for part of it at least.

Like they did with Labarbera for somethign MUCH less, they can do with him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reveille said:
Why would he have doubts they can legally suspend him?

I don't see why that would be a problem. He can go back to his home country to play for a year.

I'm not even sayign suspend him the full year. But suspend him for part of it at least.

Like they did with Labarbera for somethign MUCH less, they can do with him.

Why would he have doubts? Well your best bet is to ask him, since he didn't go into detail in the interview, but I suspect the NHL wouldn't want to be sued by Perezhogin and his agent Meehan who would lose 1.2M + if he is kept out of the league on what they feel is not worth being suspended a full year in the NHL. I'm just guessing, and don't think Perezhogin would sue, but Campbell did think the NHL could do, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
montreal said:
Why would he have doubts? Well your best bet is to ask him, since he didn't go into detail in the interview, but I suspect the NHL wouldn't want to be sued by Perezhogin and his agent Meehan who would lose 1.2M + if he is kept out of the league on what they feel is not worth being suspended a full year in the NHL. I'm just guessing, and don't think Perezhogin would sue, but Campbell did think the NHL could do, so I guess we'll see what happens.

I see no grounds for a case by them if they sued. He tried to take a head off in a subsidiary league to the NHL and he wants to play in the NHL avoiding suspension time? You can't just circumvent like that. I'm not even calling for a full year. Just something. Otherwise I'd lose all respect for them and they would have no balls.

Sorry, but I don't see how they'd have a case in suing them to let him play in the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reveille said:
I see no grounds for a case by them if they sued. He tried to take a head off in a subsidiary league to the NHL and he wants to play in the NHL avoiding suspension time? You can't just circumvent like that. I'm not even calling for a full year. Just something. Otherwise I'd lose all respect for them and they would have no balls.

Sorry, but I don't see how they'd have a case in suing them to let him play in the NHL.

Well you don't see a case, but Colin Campbell may not see it that way. Maybe they won't sue, I have no idea, but there's a reason why Campbell doesn't think the NHL can suspend him a full year. I guess we'll see what happens.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
montreal said:
Well you don't see a case, but Colin Campbell may not see it that way. Maybe they won't sue, I have no idea, but there's a reason why Campbell doesn't think the NHL can suspend him a full year. I guess we'll see what happens.

Well, tell me, in your opinion, what grounds they could possibly sue on.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
As the son of a lawyer, I can tell you that there are grounds for a lawsuit both ways. If the NHL allows Perezhogin to play, there's a chance that Stafford (or Cleveland or any number of other litigants, including fans of either/both teams) can file aggrivated assault (both criminal and civil) charges on him. If the NHL decides to uphold the AHL's suspension, Perezhogin can file charges for depriving him of a way of life, or causing him to lose money because that's all he's good for in the US, and the reason for his original visa.

Obviously, Perezhogin's case is the bigger stretch (especially since Perezhogin can always go back to play in Russia and get paid fairly well for it), but where the NHL is, it doesn't make sense to bring upon itself a case of any form. If it allows Perezhogin to play in the NHL, the case going the other way would be against Perezhogin, and not the NHL, and if anybody is to feel the sting, it is Perezhogin himself, who may or may not be liable to pay bail, depending on the judge involved. If he is held without bail (doubtful), he wouldn't be able play, as he would be a guest of the state, at that point (assuming the case is brought to trial in the US, which I'd expect).

Of course, all of that said, I'd assume that Bettman will shelf the entire argument until after the CBA mess is over, which may or may not be before the end of the AHL suspension anyways.

I hope that answers some questions.

~Crazed.

EDIT: Of course, if the NHL allows Perezhogin to play, it must also open the doors to lots of others who are suspended by the AHL, and that creates some problems with some past suspensions, such as those talked about in this thread. It gets ugly pretty quickly, to be quite honest, but that's the way it happens in today's sue-happy society.

EDIT #2: I talked with another lawyer friend of mine, and he says that there are only certain time periods for a case to be brought against Perezhogin. He says that Perezhogin is only liable to be brought up on charges within one year of the incident. Of course, as the incident was late in the year, anything's possible, but that has to be said, too.

Last edited:

Munchausen

I think Perezhogin should be suspended at the NHL level too. Not doing so would make it look pretty silly. Going from one extreme to another... Suspend him, just not one full year. To me that suspension was a joke. Have him miss the 1st 20 NHL games or so, that would be punishment enough and would likely satisfy almost everybody (there's always going to be a whining minority that does not agree no matter what).

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
There is nothing in the rulebook that says Perezhogin has to be suspended in the NHL for 1 year for what he did in another league. Meehan,Gainey,Gillett and Perezhogin can make a case about that.

X-SHARKIE

This is a joke. I think this is just as bad if not worse then the Bertuzzi situation.

Perezhogin is a great great player, but he needs to be punished for this.

I will completely loose the respect of him and Gainey if they show no respect for the AHL's ruling and just forgo around it.

It pisses me off to see athletes get away with stuff that in a real world situation those people would be in jail for along long time.

Some..key word...SOME...Habs fans.....You're great, but so blind some times...Not all of you just some.

Perezhogin hit a guy in the head with a stick! Did you see the gash on Staffords forehead? For petes sakes, the man was on the ground having convultions. What well it take to wake people up that this man needs and deserves punishment...letting him walk away from it and just make more money playing in the top level of hockey, well just blacken the NHL's eye once again.
I hope they step up and make a stand.

and the self difense stand is just BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad