Perezhogin in Montreal next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reveille said:
Well, tell me, in your opinion, what grounds they could possibly sue on.

Well I don't pretend to know the labor laws, but I would assume he would have a case for illegally keeping him from making a living.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
X-SHARKIE said:
This is a joke. I think this is just as bad if not worse then the Bertuzzi situation.

Perezhogin is a great great player, but he needs to be punished for this.

I will completely loose the respect of him and Gainey if they show no respect for the AHL's ruling and just forgo around it.

It pisses me off to see athletes get away with stuff that in a real world situation those people would be in jail for along long time.

Some..key word...SOME...Habs fans.....You're great, but so blind some times...Not all of you just some.

Perezhogin hit a guy in the head with a stick! Did you see the gash on Staffords forehead? For petes sakes, the man was on the ground having convultions. What well it take to wake people up that this man needs and deserves punishment...letting him walk away from it and just make more money playing in the top level of hockey, well just blacken the NHL's eye once again.
I hope they step up and make a stand.

and the self difense stand is just BS.

Worse then Bertuzzi? now that is BS, Bertuzzi attacked a guy from behind. Perezhogin was wrong, but in no way is this as bad as Bert. We'll see what the NHL does. The AHL suspenison was a joke and too long. Gainey wouldn't go to the NHL unless he felt Perezhogin should be in the NHL. I trust in Bob Gainey over some HF posters. As for the Hab fans being blind, that's a two way street. Stafford doesn't swing his stick and this never happens. The AHL/NHL should be looking at cutting down on the guys that swing the stick first and it will solve a lot of the problems off the bat.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
montreal said:
Stafford doesn't swing his stick and this never happens. The AHL/NHL should be looking at cutting down on the guys that swing the stick first and it will solve a lot of the problems off the bat.
Unless you know what was going on in everyone's head (you don't), you can't say that you know what would have happened if anything did/didn't happen.

~Crazed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hockeycrazed07 said:
Unless you know what was going on in everyone's head (you don't), you can't say that you know what would have happened if anything did/didn't happen.

~Crazed.

Why would I need to know what was going on in anyones head. Do you think Perezhogin would just go around swinging at someones head for fun? It's simple, no first swing, leads to no second swing.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Dan is right. What was the point of Stafford to swing his stick at first anyway?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
To those that think it wasn't self defense:

Why do you think he hit Stafford, then? Do you actually think he said in his head, "Hmm, I don't like this Stafford guy, so I'll swing my stick at him."

It was indeed self-defense. Stafford did almost take Perez' head off before. Perez just reacted to it badly. He doesn't have a history of this sort of thing, so obviously it wasn't intentional. A year was a joke as it is.

Technically, the NHL cannot likely suspend Perezhogin. He was suspended in an entirely different league. The NHL will probably have no grounds for keeping the year suspension intact, so Perezhogin will play in the NHL if he makes the team and there is an NHL season.

On the Labarbera thing, he was suspended a couple of games, so he and the Rangers organization probably didn't care. But this is a year suspension we're talking about. Bob Gainey has probably been looking into it since the incident occured.

And for those that would lose respect for Perez if he escaped the rules: how would you like it if someone nearly took your head off, you retaliated, and had to go the year without hockey? The guy just wants to play, and since he's found a loop-hole, he deserves to play. If he didn't make the team, or needed confidence, you may see Gainey and Perez restructure the contract to make it a three-way(unless he doesn't need the three-way option) so he can go to the ECHL, which would be escaping the rules once again.

They've found a loophole. As much as you may not like it, they're just trying to not waste this guy's year, and they've figured out how. Good for them.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
I, again , say that I am not happy with Perezhogin's act. I am not defending the act but I am just excited to see one of the habs best prospect play in Montreal ...
That is all. I am not defending, agreeing or happy with the violence act of Perezhogin or any other violent act out there.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Perezhogin got 1 year in the AHL. If the NHL adhears to this and does not let Perezhogin play in the NHL they it is saying that if you swing and knock the guy out your gone for the year.

Yeah ! sure ! If Forsberg gets caught then he is gone for the year ? I will bet you anything this would never happen to a Forsberg. Or even better, if Perezhogin gets 1 year for a knock out what should Bertuzie get for giving a knock out and a broken neck 2 years 3 years, a lifetime ban? and if a player through violence ends the career of another player then it a lifetime ban.
I for one and for many years have wanted that if any player is found guilty of intent to injure and if the injured player is out for "say" 3 weeks then the minimum penilty is 3 weeks + 2 weeks as the instagator if the thing. If the injured player is out for 6 months then thats the penilty + 2 weeks. A permenant injure means a permenant ban.

What do you guys think?

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
montreal said:
Yes he did it and got suspended, case closed. There's nothing the AHL can do about it, and I doubt the NHL can suspend him a full year unless they want a lawsuit. As for you losing respect for the league, I think they will be ok with that. Why not write them about it?
No need to be a jerk about it. I was stating my opinion and quite honestly there would be no need to write anything anyway. :shakehead

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Some rather strange points are being made here:

1. Some people seem to think that because Stafford swung his stick at Perezoghin, the latter should be excused or get a lighter sentence. Just the fact that something wrong was done to him doesn't in any way make his own braincramp more forgiveable. One crime does not cancel out another. Stafford should be suspended as well, and if my memory serves me correctly, he was.

2. To those comparing this to the Bertuzzi situation, saying that one was worse: Don't forget Perezoghin used his stick as a weapon. This creates a way more dangerous situation, as 'correct' use of the stick can have extremely grave consequences.

3. I do not see where this case of being deprived of his right for labor comes from. Perezoghin is being suspended for unacceptable behaviour while doing his job. He deserves to be suspended for that (the time of suspension is a different discussion), and by his act endangered other hockey players. Just the fact that this happens to be in another league (which happens to be a subsidiary to the NHL) doesn't change it in any way. Moreover, I believe he can just go back to his native Russia to play (not sure if the IIHF and European leagues also enforce NHL/AHL bans). Heck, if he wants labour he can go and deliver the paper... He lost the right to play hockey (temporarily) because of his own acts...

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
DutchLeafsfan said:
Some rather strange points are being made here:

1. Some people seem to think that because Stafford swung his stick at Perezoghin, the latter should be excused or get a lighter sentence. Just the fact that something wrong was done to him doesn't in any way make his own braincramp more forgiveable. One crime does not cancel out another. Stafford should be suspended as well, and if my memory serves me correctly, he was.

2. To those comparing this to the Bertuzzi situation, saying that one was worse: Don't forget Perezoghin used his stick as a weapon. This creates a way more dangerous situation, as 'correct' use of the stick can have extremely grave consequences.

3. I do not see where this case of being deprived of his right for labor comes from. Perezoghin is being suspended for unacceptable behaviour while doing his job. He deserves to be suspended for that (the time of suspension is a different discussion), and by his act endangered other hockey players. Just the fact that this happens to be in another league (which happens to be a subsidiary to the NHL) doesn't change it in any way. Moreover, I believe he can just go back to his native Russia to play (not sure if the IIHF and European leagues also enforce NHL/AHL bans). Heck, if he wants labour he can go and deliver the paper... He lost the right to play hockey (temporarily) because of his own acts...

1. Stafford was suspended for 6 games (If I remember correctly). I don't think anyone is suggesting that Perezhogins's response to Stafford's (for my money - attempt to injure) was appropriate. However, it is a mitigating factor in a spilt second/heat of the moment game like hockey. The AHL should have taken that into consideration - the 1 year ban is excessive (at least in my opinion)

2. I agree that the Perezhogin and Bertuzzi incidents are apple an oranges (both are incredibly bad for the game). However, the Bertuzzi incident could be argued to be pre-meditated, which generally makes an act that much more reprehensible.

3. If the NHL and AHL have no codified agreement on suspensions, then I think that Perezhogin could be file a law suit with a reasonable chance of success. However, the CBA gives the commissioner/league officials a great deal of power/discretion so I suppose it could go either way.

Vic Rattlehead*

Self-defense or not, Perezhogin used his stick as a WEAPON. He suspension was just, but I think that since he didn't do it in the NHL, that he should be allowed to play in the NHL.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think there are a few things to keep in mind here before jumping the gun here:

1) The act, unlike the Bert one, was NOT premeditated.

2) The act was a REACTION to a previous IDENTICAL (only different result) act.

3) The player had no history of this type of behavior (unlike Bert, McSorley, etc...)

Based on this, the 1 year suspension was totally un-warranted. The AHL, due mainly because of media pressure, tried to make an EXAMPLE of him wich is NOT RIGHT and not the way to detemine a sanction.

4) The player has already served a suspension (end of season and playoffs) and probably cost his team an early playoff exit.

As of now, he and Bertuzzi have served a very similar suspension. Bertuzzi might very well be re-instated at the beginning of the season. If he is, knowing that his act was premeditated, I would absolutely expect Perezhogin to play in the NHL.

On another note, I think that alot of people here cry for hefty sanctions, but what they forget is that hockey is a BRUTAL sport where alot of players are out to injure or hurt. These guys become gladiators because of what i think the root of the problem is....The Reffereing. The way these idiots call games it's only a matter of time before somebody gets killed. Then we blame the players, I mean of course there's some accountabilty on the players side but come on....what do we expect here?? Most people who don't understand this have never played hockey or even any sport for that matter, don't understand what it means to have your adrenaline rushing to a point where you can barely see. Put yourself in the player's shoes for a second and knowing you have made a mistake, wouldn't you beg for forgiveness?

Take it easy people these are all kids playing a very tough game.

X-SHARKIE

montreal said:
Why would I need to know what was going on in anyones head. Do you think Perezhogin would just go around swinging at someones head for fun? It's simple, no first swing, leads to no second swing.

yeah, but he still swung his stick as hard as he could, accross his body and connected with staffords for head.

IT was a sickening thiing to watch.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Munchausen said:
I think Perezhogin should be suspended at the NHL level too. Not doing so would make it look pretty silly. Going from one extreme to another... Suspend him, just not one full year. To me that suspension was a joke. Have him miss the 1st 20 NHL games or so, that would be punishment enough and would likely satisfy almost everybody (there's always going to be a whining minority that does not agree no matter what).

This is exactly how I'm thinking.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The NHL operates a monopoly, which could make suspending a player for actions outside of the NHL an antitrust violation. When Colin Campbell talks about possibly not being able to enforce a suspension, this is what he is referring to. I can imagine the NHL is not at all eager to have to argue antitrust cases in court.

Mar 1, 2002
As a Sharks fan, I gotta say that Perez was suspended too long, and Stafford not long enough.

Let him play in the NHL next year. As should Bertuzzi.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Wild GM said:
As a Sharks fan, I gotta say that Perez was suspended too long, and Stafford not long enough.

Let him play in the NHL next year. As should Bertuzzi.

And as a Habs fans I completely agree, when you break it down, if Stafford dosen't try to chop Perezhogin's head off, then there's not even an incident...I'm not defending Perezhogin, I think the act was dispicable and he should of kept his cool, however, and am of the opinion that much of the blame should be put on Stafford, but this escapes everyone cause he was the guy in convulsions on the ice as a result of his actions...

1 year suspension from the AHL was a joke, worst case scenario, he should of gotten 1/2 the year...Perezhoing should be allowed to play in the NHL next year, should be make the team, however he should serve some kind of mandatory NHL suspension of 20 games...

Whenever an incident happens, the 1 questions that's always asked is "WHY" why did Perezhogin do this? the answer is quite simple...Garrett Stafford...anybody here saying they'll lose respect for Gainey and the NHL if they allow him to play could cry me a river, it's not as if you won't be tuned into to your TV when the new NHL season begins...

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
montreal said:
Did you even watch the game, or did you just see the small blurb about it on the news? It was a tight-checking playoff game, and lots of guys were getting frustrated. Frustration leads to guys not always using their intellect, and running on pure emotion, which is either good or bad, depending on the results. Your A-leads-to-B philosophy is short-sighted, at best.

I agree with Wild GM on the suspensions. For his involvement, I thought Staff got away with murder, and the AHL cracked down a bit hard on Perezhogin for result.

It's a murky legal area, but the NHL doesn't have a monopoly in this case. Players can sign with AHL or ECHL teams if they want to. Again, though, that's murky legal area, so sometimes the NHL acts as a monopoly, and other times it doesn't. In the case of Perezhogin not being able to play, the NHL would act as something other than a monopoly, which would give it the right to allow him to play in the NHL while suspended in the AHL. Of course, that opens up a can of worms for the NHL legally, too, so it gets ugly quickly.

~Crazed.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
What he did was very bad, theres alot of talk about well stafford swung first, it was in the heat of the game and it wasn't perezhogin's intentions, though probly true he did it none the less and it was hard to watch. As a habs fan i gotta be honest though it was awful i'm hoping he is able to play in the NHL this next season for his development sake, but if they do decide to suspend him there to i won't be outraged because stuff like this is happening to much in hockey today and the game is getting a bad rep so it's gotta be stopped. Theres my 2 cents on it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hockeycrazed07 said:
Did you even watch the game, or did you just see the small blurb about it on the news? It was a tight-checking playoff game, and lots of guys were getting frustrated. Frustration leads to guys not always using their intellect, and running on pure emotion, which is either good or bad, depending on the results. Your A-leads-to-B philosophy is short-sighted, at best.

I agree with Wild GM on the suspensions. For his involvement, I thought Staff got away with murder, and the AHL cracked down a bit hard on Perezhogin for result.

It's a murky legal area, but the NHL doesn't have a monopoly in this case. Players can sign with AHL or ECHL teams if they want to. Again, though, that's murky legal area, so sometimes the NHL acts as a monopoly, and other times it doesn't. In the case of Perezhogin not being able to play, the NHL would act as something other than a monopoly, which would give it the right to allow him to play in the NHL while suspended in the AHL. Of course, that opens up a can of worms for the NHL legally, too, so it gets ugly quickly.

~Crazed.

I saw the barons take a few shots on Perezhogin in the corner right before the whole thing happened. Perezhogin didn't have one major all year, there's no way he would just up and swing at a guys face all the sudden. He reacted, what's so hard to understand.

db23

I don't think that Gainey is all that serious about contesting the suspension. He was asked the question, so he had to respond in that fashion. As for Perezhogin, he wouldn't be a factor in the NHL next season, so the whole issue is rather redundant in any sense. It's just talk. The real question is whether Perezhogin should be allowed to play in Russia next season. I remember a few years back Czeck player ended another players career in an international competition match and simply came to North America to play even though he had a long term ban in Europe. If I committed a crime in Canada, I wouldn't expect to be welcomed in the U.S. or most European countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->