Status
Not open for further replies.

MontrealSF

Lars Eller.
Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, PQ
Visit site
db23 said:
I don't think that Gainey is all that serious about contesting the suspension. He was asked the question, so he had to respond in that fashion. As for Perezhogin, he wouldn't be a factor in the NHL next season, so the whole issue is rather redundant in any sense. It's just talk. The real question is whether Perezhogin should be allowed to play in Russia next season. I remember a few years back Czeck player ended another players career in an international competition match and simply came to North America to play even though he had a long term ban in Europe. If I committed a crime in Canada, I wouldn't expect to be welcomed in the U.S. or most European countries.

How do you know who is and won't be a factor in the NHL ? Were Ryder, Hunter and Raycroft suppose to be factors when the season started ? No, but they were througout the year. Perezhogin could be a factor for the Habs next season as much as any other prospects with their respective teams.

db23

RickyF said:
How do you know who is and won't be a factor in the NHL ? Were Ryder, Hunter and Raycroft suppose to be factors when the season started ? No, but they were througout the year. Perezhogin could be a factor for the Habs next season as much as any other prospects with their respective teams.

The likelyhood is slim. You gave me 3 examples of players who weren't expected to be factors and were, I cuold give you 300 examples of players who weren't expected to be factors and WEREN'T. Easily.
Montreal is fairly deep on the right side, especially if they sign Kovalev or one of the other free agents as expected. They don't need Perezhogin enough to go through a protacted legal battle at this time. I would bet money that nothing comes of it. Mainly P.R.from Gainey.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Hercules Rockefeller said:
To those that think it wasn't self defense:

Why do you think he hit Stafford, then? Do you actually think he said in his head, "Hmm, I don't like this Stafford guy, so I'll swing my stick at him."

It was indeed self-defense. Stafford did almost take Perez' head off before. Perez just reacted to it badly. He doesn't have a history of this sort of thing, so obviously it wasn't intentional. A year was a joke as it is.

Stafford showed absolutely no signs that he was going to go after Perez again and make sure his stick connected. He made no indications that his swing was the first of many. If a guy driving down the road cuts you off knowingly, is ramming him off the road into a ditch 2 miles down the road self defense? No, it's a retaliation, plain and simple.

If Perez hadn't done anything, I don't think he would have been hurt by Stafford. That is why I don't think it's self-defense.

mytor4*

the rule in the nhl is, they only have to enforce a suspension given by the ahl and other leagues if a ref is attacked or is involved in the altercation. so if gainey wants to play him the nhl can not stop it. its totally up to the montreal org.

db23

If Perezhogin can't play in the AHL, it is either NHL full time or Russia for him. Canadians cannot gaurantee him full time NHL employment, obviously, so it is fairly straightforward that he would play in Russia next season. Look at how much trouble Svitov and Chistov are having playing regularly in the NHL, and they are much more advanced than Perezhogin.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
db23 said:
If Perezhogin can't play in the AHL, it is either NHL full time or Russia for him. Canadians cannot gaurantee him full time NHL employment, obviously, so it is fairly straightforward that he would play in Russia next season. Look at how much trouble Svitov and Chistov are having playing regularly in the NHL, and they are much more advanced than Perezhogin.

I'm not at all convinced that Svitov is "much more advanced" than Perezhogin, but i do agree with you that Gainey should make sure that Perezhogin can play in Russia next year and have him do so. The last thing the kid needs is to put up with the off-ice distractions that playing in the NHL next season would bring.

Out of sight, out of mind. Have him spend the season in Russia next year and bring him back for 2005-06. By that time he should be ready for top 2/3 line duty in Montreal and hopefully this incident will be behind him.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Habs4Life said:
This is great news... I also do not agree with the suspension given out by the AHL..
He really did not mean to hurt him, it was more of a reaction then anything.. I would like the NHL to prevent him from playing about 15 games but not the whole season.. Imagine:

Perez-Koivu-Kovalev on the first line..... Wow!

Im just wondering how Habs fans would feel if the roles were reversed. it was a outright intent to hurt Stafford and now some people are thinking lets pressure bettman to let him play in the NHL. If we let Perezhogin play then the league would have to let Bertuzzi play. especially since what Perezhogin did was worse.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
Im just wondering how Habs fans would feel if the roles were reversed. it was a outright intent to hurt Stafford and now some people are thinking lets pressure bettman to let him play in the NHL. If we let Perezhogin play then the league would have to let Bertuzzi play. especially since what Perezhogin did was worse.
im all for bertuzzi return.. actually i dont put all blame on bertuzzi for what happened but the league !! They knew that somethings was gonna happen in that game !

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:

Most Habs fans realize what Perezhogin did was horrible, and he does deserve a suspension...but...a 1 year suspension when the attack was provoked is laughable, it's ludicrous, and that fact that Stafford, who is the flame that lit the fire, only got 6 games is a joke as well...the thing is Perezhogin isin't a dirty player it was his first major penalty of the year, he has no priors that resemble this whatsoever, the AHL was harsh in their decision...look at it this way...go outside with a couple of friends for an outdoor game of hockey, let one of those guys swing at your head with his stick, and let's see your reaction, if your fortunate enough to avoid the attack, I guarantee you, you will reatiliate and do the exact same thing...that's what people here are forgetting, it's human nature, if you have 2 people with guns and one shoots the other and misses, you better bet that the other person will shoot to kill...survival if you will...

My opinion has nothing to do with being a Habs fan, it has to do with logic, and my logic tells me, if Stafford dosen't swing at Perezhogin's head first, than this incident dosen't happen, period. No one can dispute that fact...however it dosen't mean Perezhogin should of did what he did, but how many of you would of been able to keep your cool after almost seeing someone decapitate you, Stafford's swing could of done as much damage as Perezhogin's...everyone is too busy looking at the end result and not the action, which is why things like this in hockey will unfortunately continue

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
For those who think that one year suspension is ok considering the circumstances:

Do you think that Perez is less likely to act the same latter in his career because of his suspension? Do you think it would be different if it was only for 40 games?

Giving the fact that Perez action was completely out of character, and that "anybody" could have reacted the same way (even if it's obviously a very reprehensible reaction), do you think it really matters if he's out for 10 games, 20, 40 or the entire season? Is he less likely to be involved again in such situation because of the lenghty sentence?

Or is all this story just another example of petty revenge? Let's make an example of the kid while conveniently forgetting that many NHL players are much more dangerous than him on a game by game basis? Let's give him one year, so that the league looks like they are addressing the situation the hard way?

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Goldthorpe said:
Giving the fact that Perez action was completely out of character, and that "anybody" could have reacted the same way (even if it's obviously a very reprehensible reaction)...

Especially in a tight-checking playoff game. I've seen enough kids get angry when nothing is on the line.

That said, I think the AHL (and the NHL by extension) was setting the bar high with Perezhogin, which is understandable. I can understand and even possibly condone the suspension, assuming foolishly that the AHL/NHL will continue keeping the bar high with this type of suspension. What's shocking is that Staff got away with fewer than 10 games for his part in the melee. Of course, he's also got concussion worries for the rest of his life, among other problems from the swing that connected, so that might balance it out, but it's still rather shocking.

~Crazed.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Goldthorpe said:
For those who think that one year suspension is ok considering the circumstances:

Do you think that Perez is less likely to act the same latter in his career because of his suspension? Do you think it would be different if it was only for 40 games?

Giving the fact that Perez action was completely out of character, and that "anybody" could have reacted the same way (even if it's obviously a very reprehensible reaction), do you think it really matters if he's out for 10 games, 20, 40 or the entire season? Is he less likely to be involved again in such situation because of the lenghty sentence?

Or is all this story just another example of petty revenge? Let's make an example of the kid while conveniently forgetting that many NHL players are much more dangerous than him on a game by game basis? Let's give him one year, so that the league looks like they are addressing the situation the hard way?

I'd hardly call it "petty revenge". As for the other point, I doubt you need to even punish him for him not to do it again. Not only was it out of character thus being an unlikely thing for him to do, but I'm sure he felt terrible about it. Justice isn't just about reform. It is also about punishment. Not saying one way or another if it was extreme, but it wasn't so HE doesn't do it again. It was so others don't do something similar AND simply to punish him for doing something quite horrible.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
417 TO MTL said:
Most Habs fans realize what Perezhogin did was horrible, and he does deserve a suspension...but...a 1 year suspension when the attack was provoked is laughable, it's ludicrous, and that fact that Stafford, who is the flame that lit the fire, only got 6 games is a joke as well...the thing is Perezhogin isin't a dirty player it was his first major penalty of the year, he has no priors that resemble this whatsoever, the AHL was harsh in their decision...look at it this way...go outside with a couple of friends for an outdoor game of hockey, let one of those guys swing at your head with his stick, and let's see your reaction, if your fortunate enough to avoid the attack, I guarantee you, you will reatiliate and do the exact same thing...that's what people here are forgetting, it's human nature, if you have 2 people with guns and one shoots the other and misses, you better bet that the other person will shoot to kill...survival if you will...

My opinion has nothing to do with being a Habs fan, it has to do with logic, and my logic tells me, if Stafford dosen't swing at Perezhogin's head first, than this incident dosen't happen, period. No one can dispute that fact...however it dosen't mean Perezhogin should of did what he did, but how many of you would of been able to keep your cool after almost seeing someone decapitate you, Stafford's swing could of done as much damage as Perezhogin's...everyone is too busy looking at the end result and not the action, which is why things like this in hockey will unfortunately continue

There are lots of things to consider here. I only saw the video once and it did seem to me that Stafford swung and Pere retaliated. But the key there is that he retaliated and didn't necessarily defend himself. In that situation I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same in the heat of the moment. He was provoked, but you'd have a hard time making the case it was self-defense. If it were really self-defense, he wouldn't deserve ANY punishment.

I agree that the end result was too heavily weighted here. On the other hand Stafford's punishment came in two packages. The first was 6 games... the other was a whole house of pain. Ideally, Stafford would get at least half of what Pere got in my opinion, assuming what I recall seeing in my one viewing of the incident from one angle to be correct. The NHL, and I assume the AHL, wait until someone is hurt to call penalties like this and that is obviously a huge problem.

Since it wasn't really self-defense, though, your logic boils down to person x offended person z who retaliated and that opens up lines of thought like this...

If Mr. Doe's wife didn't cheat on him, he wouldn't have shot her in the face.

If Mr. Example didn't take a swing at Mr. Miagi, Mr. Miagi wouldn't have belted Mr. Example in the jaw with a crowbar.

Sure, the incident was a swing of the stick for a swing of the stick, but that isn't how the logic essentially boils down as the response was provoked, but not in defense. The fact that one is provoked does not absolve his actions nor does it, as a rule, place any large amount of responsibility for the incident on the shoulders of the provoking party. At least not any legal responsibility. In this case, however, I think Stafford's intent was worse than Pere's, while the result of Pere's action was obviously far worse in comparison. That makes the gap a lot smaller than most are letting on.

I have no problem with Pere getting a whole season so long as this is the new standard. Stafford should have gotten at least 20... he could use the time to get his face back in order.

db23

The most ridiculous part of this whole affair is that the AHL suspension will end up being the best thing that could have happened to Perezhogin. In the AHL, where he would have spent the majority of his time next season, he would probably earn about $75,000 or so. If he goes to Russia, which appears most likely, he will earn more than that in a country where a dollar probably goes 10 times as far. If he can't or won't play in Russia, Bob Gainey said they "would make room for him in the NHL". Which means he would earn NHL wages even while he was sitting in the stands or at the end of the bench. His "moment of rage" could end up earning him an extra 6 or 7 hundred thousand dollars next season.

Some "punishment". :help:

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Of course, that's assuming that (a) there is an NHL season next year, (b) he is both allowed to play by the NHL (as nothing is set in stone) and that he makes the Habs, and (c) that he can go back to Russia with a contract here in the US. If there is no NHL season, the punishmeng might end up being no professional hockey above the ECHL level, as if Perezhogin is under contract to the Habs, which I believe he is, that would be the highest level he'd be eligible for barring an NHL season.

Talk about a spanking, that's as good as it gets.

~Crazed.

db23

Well he has already played in a pre season tournament in Russia, so it doesn't look like there is any great problem there. It will either be Russia or the NHL for Perezhogin and either would be much more lucrative than the AHL. It is hard how to see him "suffering" in any fashion as the result of his actions. Worst case scenario he will probably earn at least $100,000 in Russia which is probably the equivalent of $500,000 here.

db23

There are about a dozen Russians who have signed RSL contracts in case there is no NHL season. All of them have valid NHL contracts, so I don't see why it should be different for Perezhogin. Unless the RSL decided to honor the AHL suspension, which seems very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->