Percentage of Roles for Men/Women by Decade

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
No they don't. Not as early as women anyway. Many men dont even start to look like a grown ass adult by the time women their own age have already hit the wall.

Men and women are generally attracted to different things.
Women look just as adult as men the same age.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What’s the percentage of women calling out daddy in bed compared to men calling out mommy?
You actually know women who call out daddy in bed?!?!? Why, aren't you the rare bird. :biglaugh:

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
You actually know women who call out daddy in bed?!?!? Why, aren't you the rare bird. :biglaugh:
We all do. That’s my point. Unless you’re one of the guys calling for your mommy.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Gender distribution of lead actors in movies in the U.S. 2019 | Statista

In 2019, it was found that 44.1 percent of lead actors in films that year were female, up by more than ten percent in just two years.

2019 Statistics

40% featured female protagonists. 43% featured male protagonists, and 17% had ensembles or a combination of male and female protagonists.

• 17% of females were under 20, 22% were in their 20s, 31% were in their 30s, 16% were in their 40s, 8% were in their 50s, and 6% were in their 60s or older.
  • 10% of males were under 20, 11% were in their 20s, 32% were in their 30s, 26% were in their 40s, 12% were in their 50s, and 9% were in their 60s or older

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
What’s the percentage of women calling out daddy in bed compared to men calling out mommy?
tenor.gif

Reactions: Amerika

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Trying to force representation/diversity in art leads to crappy content that no one wants to see ie ghostbuster 2016.

There are plenty of great movies with diverse casts where no one bats an eye if the lead is female, black, mexican, gay, etc. That's because a writer came up with a creative idea and then diversity happened organically in the creation process.

When you say : Ok let's remake this movie with with an all female cast, stuff like Ghostbuster 2016 happens. The need to fill quotas come in before the need to come up with a good story, finding the appropriate actor, the best fit for a given job, etc. The concept that we need more of this or more of that in movies is flawed. It's the same warped logic where a gay role should be played by a gay actor. Movies have become a vehicule for the political instead of something that allows us to escape our day to day. It's too bad.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Trying to force representation/diversity in art leads to crappy content that no one wants to see ie ghostbuster 2016.

There are plenty of great movies with diverse casts where no one bats an eye if the lead is female, black, mexican, gay, etc. That's because a writer came up with a creative idea and then diversity happened organically in the creation process.

When you say : Ok let's remake this movie with with an all female cast, stuff like Ghostbuster 2016 happens. The need to fill quotas come in before the need to come up with a good story, finding the appropriate actor, the best fit for a given job, etc. The concept that we need more of this or more of that in movies is flawed. It's the same warped logic where a gay role should be played by a gay actor. Movies have become a vehicule for the political instead of something that allows us to escape our day to day. It's too bad.

I'm really f***ing tired, so maybe I just lost parts of the discussion, but who are you replying to with this? Who said there should be quotas or that representation or diversity should be forced? Who looks to you in favor of crappy content (and/or of the Ghostbuster remake)?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
What is an older movie you like that represents, to you, the apolitical heyday of film?

There were tons of good entertaining movies in the 80ies and 90ies which had diversity and did not feel to me like they were political back then (although I'm sure you can take any movie you want and bend over backwards to say it represents this political notion or that one...).

Can't hollywood go back to the below list ? And I don't mean making remakes/reboots or worse taking movies with men and just pulling a gender switcharoo. Can we come up with original ideas again ?

I'm a simple man with simple needs :

Goonies
Alien (female lead)
Aliens (female lead + female marine/army character)
Princess Bride
Willow (dwarf main actor, strong female protagonist in sorcha)
Gremlins
Star wars 4-5-6
Indianna Jones 1-2-3
Labyrinth (young female lead not sexualized although that would come not long after, holy crap Jennifer Connelly riding a rocking horse in career opportunities...speaking of women being in their prime at 21....... Jennifer Connelly has remained a very beautiful woman but wow was she ever stunning at 21?)
The dark crystal (puppets...)
Predator, T2 or basically any arnold movie (dude was amazing in his prime, but he's too old now, don't want to see him anymore because he's a physical presence, when you rely on that to carry you on screen this is what happens for men too)
Back to the future 1-2-3
Ghosbusters 1-2
Pulp Fiction
Silence of the lamb (female lead)
Jurassic Park
Short Circuit
Coming to america (black lead)
Highlander
Spaceballs
Demolition Man
The untouchables
Beetlejuice
Wallstreet
Almost any tom hanks/harrisson ford movie
Poltergeist
Mad Max
Die Hard
Robocop
ET
Clue
The pelican brief (female and black leads)
The negotiator (black lead)
Patriot Games
Basic Instinct (Sharon stone was 34... but she is/was more than just a pretty woman)
Billy the kid
Hackers (male and female lead)
Army of darkness
The 5th element (male and female lead)
Heat
Misery (strong female antagonist)

I know it's not what you asked, but it made me feel good to revisit my childhood and adolescence. I could have gone on actually... I doubt I could come up with even half that in the 2000s and after.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm really f***ing tired, so maybe I just lost parts of the discussion, but who are you replying to with this? Who said there should be quotas or that representation or diversity should be forced? Who looks to you in favor of crappy content (and/or of the Ghostbuster remake)?

I didn't quote anyone so I guess.. I was not replying to anyone in particular but just speaking in overall terms from what I had read in the thread.

Thing is if we're saying that women don't have enough roles past a certain age... we're asking for a portion of the population to have more representation. It's the same concept accross the board that's been plaguing all movies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You don't miss apolitical films, you miss being young.

It's not about politics it's about shoehorning gender/races/sexual orientation above making a good movie. It's been plaguing hollywood for the past 5 years. I can list quite a lot of movies i've enjoyed in the 2000s as well. I'm 39 btw.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It's not about politics it's about shoehorning gender/races/sexual orientation above making a good movie. It's been plaguing hollywood for the past 5 years. I can list quite a lot of movies i've enjoyed in the 2000s as well. I'm 39 btw.

Hollywood making stupid decisions to pander to specific demos is lame, yes. But “politics” being in everything is not new. The OG Star Wars trilogy was loaded with political imagery and allegory.

Did the new SW movies make an absolute mess of their political themes, absolutely. But that’s less about the message than it is about who is communicating it.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Hollywood making stupid decisions to pander to specific demos is lame, yes. But “politics” being in everything is not new. The OG Star Wars trilogy was loaded with political imagery and allegory.

Did the new SW movies make an absolute mess of their political themes, absolutely. But that’s less about the message than it is about who is communicating it.

I categorize pandering to demographics as political given the current political context in the US. I don't know if we would have such a push for that if say Trump was not in office.

BTW, I'm Canadian and could not care less for Trump one way or another except I just wish he was not there so we could go back to normalcy. I want to make that clear because people have a tendency to put other people in categories.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I categorize pandering to demographics as political given the current political context in the US. I don't know if we would have such a push for that if say Trump was not in office.

The new Star Wars, Ghostbusters 2016 and all sorts of general SJW nonsense preceded Trump.

Trump was a response to that stuff. Times were good and so people got up in arms over things like kneeling athletes and tan suits.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I didn't quote anyone so I guess.. I was not replying to anyone in particular but just speaking in overall terms from what I had read in the thread.

Thing is if we're saying that women don't have enough roles past a certain age... we're asking for a portion of the population to have more representation. It's the same concept accross the board that's been plaguing all movies.

Ok, so to you it's in the normal order of things that female are mostly represented as 20 y/o sexy things, and that older women are not portrayed in films - mainly because they are less attractive. If you're comfortable with this, why not?

I don't lose sleep over it, but I think it's a problem. I think most people don't want to see it as a problem (in part because they like to look at sexy things, in part because they're too dumb to understand that older men's claimed greater attractiveness has been built through media representation and serves the exact people controlling the representation). And I think most people can't fathom the wider causalities at play here (and I'm too tired to go into it, and I don't think it's any use anyway.... but consider this: Of the top-grossing 1,200 films from 2007-2018, a total of 4.3% of all directors were women (58 out of 1,335)... I guess they were too fugly to do the job).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
First off, unless we are talking teen rom- coms, most of those young actresses are likely playing second or third fiddle to an older, established actor.

Have you watched many recent Hollywood movies? Young actresses are starring in heaps of movies and it's the males who tend to play second or third fiddle to them. I can't even think of the last recent movie that I watched that starred a young person who wasn't female.

As for sympathies for young actors in their 20s, it is more like they are serving an apprenticeship, as the older they get seemingly the more acting opportunities there are for them. That's the exact opposite with actresses.

Yes, instead of working as apprentices for nearly half of their careers until they can finally start making the big bucks in their 40s and 50, actresses make the big bucks in their 20s and 30s and are able to retire by their 40s to spend time with family. If you had the option of one of those, which would you choose?

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Ok, so to you it's in the normal order of things that female are mostly represented as 20 y/o sexy things, and that older women are not portrayed in films - mainly because they are less attractive. If you're comfortable with this, why not?

I don't lose sleep over it, but I think it's a problem. I think most people don't want to see it as a problem (in part because they like to look at sexy things, in part because they're too dumb to understand that older men's claimed greater attractiveness has been built through media representation and serves the exact people controlling the representation). And I think most people can't fathom the wider causalities at play here (and I'm too tired to go into it, and I don't think it's any use anyway.... but consider this: Of the top-grossing 1,200 films from 2007-2018, a total of 4.3% of all directors were women (58 out of 1,335)... I guess they were too fugly to do the job).

Eye candy is a thing for both man and woman. Woman crave Chris Hemsworth, and we crave 21 year old Jennifer Connelly. It's the ideal beauty standard. Some movies will want to portray that. Don't tell me women don't crave Chris Hemsworth type when Tinder has an over 6 foot tall feature.

Other movies will portray different type of characters such as Kathy Bates in misery, or Sigourney Weaver in Alien... what's missing is compelling stories but it's so much easier to do the tired old tropes. If you had more movies like say Misery, you'd have more roles for women such as Kathy Bates.

About this :

but consider this: Of the top-grossing 1,200 films from 2007-2018, a total of 4.3% of all directors were women (58 out of 1,335)... I guess they were too fugly to do the job).

What about 2019-20?
Why top-grossing films ? Why not all films ? Is that statistic trying to level the playing field somehow ?

Just asking questions because as an engineer I question all data, especially statistics pulled out of anyone's ass.

But even if I acknowledge all of this without question, I don't even necessarily see a problem with this. You realize that men and women are really different right? Men and women are not equal at everything. Women are overwhelmingly represented in the healthcare industry in Québec. Women have different interest than men. Women like teaching and being involved with people more than men. There are representation divides in many fields and there is not really a problem with that in most cases.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Ah, la boulette! Ah oui! J'ai fait la boulette! :laugh:

So many great one-liners in that flick. 'Eh voila! On a les droits! Ohhhh!'

Allez l'OM, allez !

"- Il s’appelle Juste Leblanc.
- Ah bon, il n’a pas de prénom ?
- Je viens de vous le dire Juste Leblanc... Votre prénom c’est François, c’est juste ? Eh bien lui c’est pareil, c’est Juste.
- ..."

Best French movie of all time as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT:

"- C'était votre sœur.
- J'ai pas de sœur.
- Vous n'avez pas de sœur ? Je lui ai dit qui est à l'appareil, et elle m'a dit : « sa sœur ».
- Il a appelé Marlène !
- C'est pas votre sœur ?
- C'est son nom, Sasseur. Marlène Sasseur.
- J'pouvais pas savoir, moi. Elle me dit : « C'est Marlène Sasseur. » Avouez que c'est confusant."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad