Percentage of goals top scorers have been in on

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Boredom. Tire pumping. Call it what you want. This is a list containing teams top scorers and the percentage of goals they are in on for their teams. This is not at all scientific, as it doesn't account for missed games, but I think it's pretty impressive that Ennis shows so well on this list. There hasn't been much to hang your hat on this year, but I think Ennis' strong offensive showing has been arguably the highlight for this team. Anyway, I thought it was pretty interesting.

1. Voracek - .431
2. Foligno - .389
3. Seguin - .368
4. Getzlaf - .367
5. Kane - . 365
6. Crosby - .361
7. Backstrom - .349
8. Ennis - .345
9. Pavelski - .325
10. Tarasenko - .326
11. Nash - .323
12. D. Sedin - .319
13. Zetterberg - .316
14. Kessler - .314
15. Pacioretty - .314
16. Tavares - .308
17. T. Johnson - .307
18. Forsberg - .306
19. E. Staal - .303
20. Hudler - .299
21. Ladd - .298
22. Pominville - .296
23. Kopitar - .295
24. Vermette - .295
25. Bjugstad - .274
26. Eberle - .271
27. Tanguay - .270
28. Ryan - .268
29. Bergeron - .258
30. Henrique - .245

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm actually surprised. Thought he'd be higher, given the lack of scoring throughout the lineup.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Not surprising. Whoever leads this team in points is going to have a high % due to low overall Goals For.

Well, sort of. Stafford and Girgensons are tied for 2nd on the team with 22 points. That would put them at .261, which would have placed them at 28 on the list.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Well, sort of. Stafford and Girgensons are tied for 2nd on the team with 22 points. That would put them at .261, which would have placed them at 28 on the list.

because the team has only scored 84 goals, the ratio is going to be dramatic.
As the season goes on, I expect Ennis to likely deviate to what he hit last year, around 28%.

But again, it doesn't surprise me that an all offense winger like Ennis is leading this abysmal team in scoring.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
He's not even on pace for a 50 point season playing in every single game. All this shows is that if your best offensive player is Ennis, your team is probably ****ed.
stokes84 said:

If you take away the team's leading points getter, that team's goals for will probably go down and thus the 2nd/3rd place players with less points will see their ratios rise. Unless you want to argue that Ennis' point totals are because of role, and if he wasn't around the Sabres would still have the same amount of goals scored :dunno:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
He's not even on pace for a 50 point season playing in every single game. All this shows is that if your best offensive player is Ennis, your team is probably ****ed.

If you take away the team's leading points getter, that team's goals for will probably go down and thus the 2nd/3rd place players with less points will see their ratios rise. Unless you want to argue that Ennis' point totals are because of role, and if he wasn't around the Sabres would still have the same amount of goals scored :dunno:

Well, yeah again, but their percentages on this current team are significantly lower. My point is that Ennis is having a pretty solid season despite having very little offensive support.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Well, yeah again, but their percentages on this current team are significantly lower. My point is that Ennis is having a pretty solid season despite having very little offensive support.

Can you do each team's highest scorer and the percentage of goals AGAINST they are on for? :laugh:

Ennis has the 3rd highest GF on per 60 ES... on his own line.

Girg 2.03
Matt 1.66
Ennis 1.63

I've never seen a more ridiculous stretch... did you pull a muscle posting this thread?

ZeroPT*

yes, the point leader on a crap offensive team will be high on point % leaguewide

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Can you do each team's highest scorer and the percentage of goals AGAINST they are on for? :laugh:

Ennis has the 3rd highest GF on per 60 ES... on his own line.

Girg 2.03
Matt 1.66
Ennis 1.63

I've never seen a more ridiculous stretch... did you pull a muscle posting this thread?

I know it hurts your soul that he is succeeding.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

Ennis is having an average year offensively, for him. His first full season in the league he netted 20 goals and 29 assists for 49 points. At his current pace, he would finish with... 20.5 goals and 29.04 assists for 49.54 points. He actually had a better year in terms of goals and points per 82 in the 11-12 and 12-13, but he only played 48 and 47 games those 2 seasons respectively. His production this year is not all that much different than last year.

You used about the most useless statistic imagineable to "prove" whatever point it is you're trying to prove. It doesn't say anything at all about how well ennis is playing this year, other than the fact that he is leading this crap team in points, and not many other players on this team contribute offensively. hooray?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Then that sort of undermines the argument, no? That Drew and Girgensons would also be in the top-30 in the NHL. (By the way, why aren't they on the list? Did you anticipate them being there would reveal the weakness of the argument?) And, to everyone else's point, is it all that surprising that a guy who leads the forwards in ESTOI and PPTOI leads the team in points and goals on which he acquired a point? Especially on this pop-gun offensive team?

Ennis is 7th on the team in ES pts/60 with 1.29 pts/60. That's far more telling to me. (He is our best PP producer by a good margin, FWIW.)

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Then that sort of undermines the argument, no? That Drew and Girgensons would also be in the top-30 in the NHL. (By the way, why aren't they on the list? Did you anticipate them being there would reveal the weakness of the argument?) And, to everyone else's point, is it all that surprising that a guy who leads the forwards in ESTOI and PPTOI leads the team in points and goals on which he acquired a point? Especially on this pop-gun offensive team?

Ennis is 7th on the team in ES pts/60 with 1.29 pts/60. That's far more telling to me. (He is our best PP producer by a good margin, FWIW.)

30 teams are represented. As I pointed out. If you extrapolated it out to include the entire league, Ennis would be in the top 15. Stafford and Girgensons would not be anywhere close, so no, it doesn't hurt my argument at all. In fact, it would probably be much stronger.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ennis is having an average year offensively, for him. His first full season in the league he netted 20 goals and 29 assists for 49 points. At his current pace, he would finish with... 20.5 goals and 29.04 assists for 49.54 points. He actually had a better year in terms of goals and points per 82 in the 11-12 and 12-13, but he only played 48 and 47 games those 2 seasons respectively. His production this year is not all that much different than last year.

You used about the most useless statistic imagineable to "prove" whatever point it is you're trying to prove. It doesn't say anything at all about how well ennis is playing this year, other than the fact that he is leading this crap team in points, and not many other players on this team contribute offensively. hooray?

Having an average year when everyone else is having below average years is what is impressive about it. It's not that hard.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I know it hurts your soul that he is succeeding.

It warms my soul when you start a thread like this. It shows how awful you are at drawing insights and/or how willing you are to make ridiculous correlations in support of your known bias.

This fits right in with your 22 minute argument.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The list is filled with 50% players on awful teams and 50% great players on good teams. It's not that hard to read into.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
30 teams are represented. As I pointed out. If you extrapolated it out to include the entire league, Ennis would be in the top 15. Stafford and Girgensons would not be anywhere close, so no, it doesn't hurt my argument at all. In fact, it would probably be much stronger.

staff/girgs would be in the top 30 (2.65)

regardless, the complete lack of scoring depth is not a positive on Ennis' performance this year... that makes no sense at all.

If you take Stewart and Stafford off the roster, and plug in more terrible depth in their place... thus decreasing the total goals we score this year, Ennis' percentage goes UP... it doesn't mean he's played any different.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
If the Sabres had 20 goals this year and Ennis had 10 points, he'd be leading the list but having a horrendous offensive year. So no, it doesn't really tell you anything useful by itself. His point totals tell you much more about the kind of year he's having.

That's not to say anything against Ennis. I think he will put up some nice offensive numbers as a 1st- or 2nd-line winger once the team comes together.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
staff/girgs would be in the top 30 (2.65)

regardless, the complete lack of scoring depth is not a positive on Ennis' performance this year... that makes no sense at all.

If you take Stewart and Stafford off the roster, and plug in more terrible depth in their place... thus decreasing the total goals we score this year, Ennis' percentage goes UP... it doesn't mean he's played any different.

Sigh.... No. This list doesn't include people like Stamkos, Kucherov, Okposo, etc, etc. That have higher rates than that, but lower the Ennis.

Usually, having other offensive players on your team boosts your numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad