Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Sounds like a wheelin and dealin summer
Vegas is an outlier that hasn't bothered to develop players. Their owner was in a "win now" mode from the moment the franchise was awarded. Literally. They are also unique in that they go hard and fearlessly after big name players who have injury histories, etc. that make them available. That is a small kettle of fish that not every team is going to be successful fishing in.

On the other side of the spectrum, what team is built entirely via the draft? Maybe you can debate the definition but every team has a drafted player, a free agent they signed, and guys they picked up via trade.

So one take of GMBT's statement is he's saying he's running an NHL team.

But he does seem to be suggesting that he's not a "build through the draft", slow and cautious, turtle wins the race sort of guy. Picks are as much for wheeling and dealing as they are for picking guys for your system that you'll invest in and develop.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Vegas is an outlier that hasn't bothered to develop players. Their owner was in a "win now" mode from the moment the franchise was awarded. Literally. They are also unique in that they go hard and fearlessly after big name players who have injury histories, etc. that make them available. That is a small kettle of fish that not every team is going to be successful fishing in.

On the other side of the spectrum, what team is built entirely via the draft? Maybe you can debate the definition but every team has a drafted player, a free agent they signed, and guys they picked up via trade.

So one take of GMBT's statement is he's saying he's running an NHL team.

But he does seem to be suggesting that he's not a "build through the draft", slow and cautious, turtle wins the race sort of guy. Picks are as much for wheeling and dealing as they are for picking guys for your system that you'll invest in and develop.
Vegas feels like a massive pump and dump scheme. Bring immediate success in an aggreaaive way in a non-traditional market, even win a Cup, then sell the franchise for a much improved value before the 10 year drought comes because you have absolutely no assets for the long-term. They've managed to regenerate a bit through trading off excess NHL players, but the web is going to collapse at some point.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I read those comments and immediately thought, "He's going to sign Saros and trade Askarov". Complete guess on my part, but just feels like the type of deal and moving that fits that narrative.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Eh lets see what he actually does. For a wheeling and dealing guy he played it pretty safe at the trade deadline.

Other big thing with those deals is you gotta be willing to pay them. You can't say you don't see giving anyone long term deals for a while and then try and get big name talent, it doesn't work that way.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I just briefly scanned the rosters at the World's and looks like Josi is the only Pred who went.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
MLSE is starting to do the smear campaign against Marner. And Canadian media is sniffing at the idea of Marner for Saros.

Let the bullshit begin

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
L'Heureux is making a real compelling case for himself to get a hard look at the NHL next season. Dont know if he will win out but his playstyle would allow him to be productive anywhere on the lineup. Would like to see him with atleast the niddle 6 talent but he would probably still rock it with McCarron and smith on the 4th line.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
L'Heureux is making a real compelling case for himself to get a hard look at the NHL next season. Dont know if he will win out but his playstyle would allow him to be productive anywhere on the lineup. Would like to see him with atleast the niddle 6 talent but he would probably still rock it with McCarron and smith on the 4th line.
Nothing Anderson-Dolan, Foudy or Fagemo wouldn't do!

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Nothing Anderson-Dolan, Foudy or Fagemo wouldn't do!
Gotta have someone to occupy the pressbox.

Fagemo if you look at his AHL stat line you can see why he was given a shot.

Foudy can go fast i guess.... free asset long term if we even qualify him.

Dolan was a warm body to keep in the pressbox. Free asset if we qualify him.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Vegas feels like a massive pump and dump scheme. Bring immediate success in an aggreaaive way in a non-traditional market, even win a Cup, then sell the franchise for a much improved value before the 10 year drought comes because you have absolutely no assets for the long-term. They've managed to regenerate a bit through trading off excess NHL players, but the web is going to collapse at some point.
Who say's that it will collapse? It hasn't yet. Look at teams like Toronto and Montreal. Have all the $$$ you could want. Have some of the best players in the world and what have they done. Look what TBL did within the rules. Now Vegas has done the same. Maybe that is the new way.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Swinging for the fences here.

Trade Saros, Fabbro and Tomasino for Marner

Sign Reinhart as a free agent.

See if you can fit in Zadarov to add some nasty on the back end.

Lines:

Fil/Reinhart/Marner
Gus/ROR/Vange
ZLH/Svech/Kemell
Pars/Sissons/Afanasyev

Pull the band aid off already.
From your lips to Trotz’s ears.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Swinging for the fences here.

Trade Saros, Fabbro and Tomasino for Marner

Sign Reinhart as a free agent.

See if you can fit in Zadarov to add some nasty on the back end.

Lines:

Fil/Reinhart/Marner
Gus/ROR/Vange
ZLH/Svech/Kemell
Pars/Sissons/Afanasyev

Pull the band aid off already.
I kinda wonder if it would even take that much to get Marner. I guess it depends how many teams he's willing to actually waive for. Obviously Nashville being one of them is a contingency too. And you have to have assurance he'd sign and not be a one year rental.

Buyer beware on Reinhart, BTW. I like his game, but he is going to get an absolute pile of money off the back of 57 goals and shot like 25%. He'll still be good for a while but whether he lives up to a UFA deal this summer (even by UFA contract standards) is a giant question mark.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Vegas will probably trade for Marner.
Funny you say that, as Vegas is allegedly looking to trade Theodore. Probably add an additional forward piece from Vegas to help counterbalance salary and that's probably not far-fetched. They only have $900k cap space and some signings to do, but it seems like Stone will be perma-IR outside the playoffs at this point (or may just LTIRetire), which will free up $9.5M.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I guess lost in all the marner talk but what exactly is his motivation for waiving his NMC to come to Nashville if he knows saros is going the other way? He has seen first hand what subpar goaltending does to a team in the playoffs. Maybe his biggest goal is to get out of the limelight and Nashville fits that bill just wondering about career ambitions.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I guess lost in all the marner talk but what exactly is his motivation for waiving his NMC to come to Nashville if he knows saros is going the other way? He has seen first hand what subpar goaltending does to a team in the playoffs. Maybe his biggest goal is to get out of the limelight and Nashville fits that bill just wondering about career ambitions.
I think the working assumption is priorities are $$$ and getting out of Canadian markets. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for going after someone, but...have to start somewhere.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think the working assumption is priorities are $$$ and getting out of Canadian markets. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for going after someone, but...have to start somewhere.
Just trying to wrap my head around that part of things. I can see him waiving to get out of toronto... just why specifically nashville if theyre jettisoning their starting goalie. Money is a motivator for sure. But i imagine he feels like he can get that anywhere in free agency after next season. Trotz would have to sell him on the direction nashville is taking and honestly if i were him id be weary of teams without a good staring goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad