Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Panthers | win | What did it cost us?

What was Sid trying to hit on that shot?

• The net

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • A secondary assist

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Geno's nuts

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Nope.
Him being in the defensive zone so often makes it so Crosby and Malkin can have more offensive zone time.

38 year old Carter was being used nearly identical to Blueger and produced.

Not really. If he's worth 5% extra to the PK that is 15 goals saved/year

I’m not convinced Blueger is the only reason our PK is playing better. He’s good there, but seems like a whole lot of focusing on one thing versus the full picture.

I’m a Blueger homer, but IMO he’s been a huge disappointment this year. Granted he probably has a serious injury he isn’t healed from.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s amazing what happens when special teams anrent atrocious and Sully isnt sabotaging the team with idiotic lineup decisions.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I’m not convinced Blueger is the only reason our PK is playing better. He’s good there, but seems like a whole lot of focusing on one thing versus the full picture.

Like point production from a 4th line center?

We bury our bottom line because we never deploy our 2nd line in the defensive zone.
Whether the 4C's cap hit is $1M or $2M is irrelevant. Blueger makes us a better team and has for years.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I’m a Blueger homer, but IMO he’s been a huge disappointment this year. Granted he probably has a serious injury he isn’t healed from.
If Rakell can be the singular reason our pp is good I don't see why the same can't be true for Blueger and the pk

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
It's true that Carter does also see a lot of defensive responsibility, but I don't know that I'd say it's 'nearly identical'. Plus, Carter has better wingers, more icetime, and is a better player in general.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Heinen is passable bottom six player at his best, but playing in top six with shot confidence is horrible idea. Why not give somebody else chance to play?
I'd have put McGinn there but Sully wanted some continuity.

Who else would we have really put there? DOC sucks.
L2 looked absolutely fine. It didn't cash in but no one did at even strength.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Like point production from a 4th line center?

We bury our bottom line because we never deploy our 2nd line in the defensive zone.
Whether the 4C's cap hit is $1M or $2M is irrelevant. Blueger makes us a better team and has for years.

There's a big difference between asking for "point production" and asking for a player to have an offensive impact outside of three games through 16. Especially when said player is getting paid 2.2 mil and is in a contract year. I just expected more from him.

If Rakell can be the singular reason our pp is good I don't see why the same can't be true for Blueger and the pk

It's not just Rakell, but adding Rakell to our powerplay gave the team an additional scoring threat over Rust.

Let's see how the PP goes if Malkin misses any time and we put Rust back up there.

It's true that Carter does also see a lot of defensive responsibility, but I don't know that I'd say it's 'nearly identical'. Plus, Carter has better wingers, more icetime, and is a better player in general.

I'm talking about prior to Blueger coming back.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
There's a big difference between asking for "point production" and asking for a player to have an offensive impact outside of three games through 16. Especially when said player is getting paid 2.2 mil and is in a contract year. I just expected more from him.
$2.2M is 40% lower than the average player.

Blueger's hit is the 16th highest hit on the Penguins.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's not just Rakell, but adding Rakell to our powerplay gave the team an additional scoring threat over Rust.

Let's see how the PP goes if Malkin misses any time and we put Rust back up there.
I know, I'm just giving you shit because you guys were talking about how Rakell was the factor why our PP is good now but are using the opposite argument on Blueger.

I agree with you on this point
But would also suggest the very point you're making here applies to Rakell/the PP as well.

Anyways.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I know, I'm just giving you shit because you guys were talking about how Rakell was the factor why our PP is good now but are using the opposite argument on Blueger.

I agree with you on this point

But would also suggest the very point you're making here applies to Rakell/the PP as well.

Anyways.

I think having two goaltenders top ten in the league in SV% and top ten in GSAA on the PK since Blueger returned may have a little bit more to do with our PK being unstoppable, but I'm sure this won't follow the same exact script it did last year.

$2.2M is 40% lower than the average player.

Blueger's hit is the 16th highest hit on the Penguins.

It's okay for me to have this opinion. I'm not really bashing Blueger. He's fine. I just don't think he's living up to his contract.

Barbashev, Jake Evans, and Jason Dickenson are the most comparable contracts to Blueger.

I'd take two of those over Teddy.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It's okay for me to have this opinion. I'm not really bashing Blueger. He's fine. I just don't think he's living up to his contract.

Barbashev, Jake Evans, and Jason Dickenson are the most comparable contracts to Blueger.

I'd take two of those over Teddy.

I know you like to punch down and I like to punch up too much.

We'll call it even.

Reactions: Darren McCord

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Nothing much to complain about, really. Good to see the powerplay on track. Jarry has been outstanding.

Obviously hope Malkin didn't get Orpik'd.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
1. Heinen sucks
2. Heinen sucks
3. Heinen sucks
4. Ruhwedel sucks
5. Dumoulin sucks

Tristan Jarry is willing these wankers to wins.
Malkin is day to day with bofus…

Bofus his nuts on LTIR.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He has points in three games this year. At his cap hit you need more.
He’s on a 27pt pace at the moment with his usual gross usage. I wish we’d see him in a 3c role without that sort of dreadful usage but maybe on his next team next season. For now they’re barely getting minutes from Sully.

Reactions: Victor Z

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Still would like to see more production from Teddy at that pay hit.

He's the 82nd highest paid C. The 82nd highest producing C by ppg is Barbashev at .41 ppg. Blueger's at .36 ppg. He's like maybe a point off where you'd want for production by that metric. That doesn't seem a big deal for a guy who's the 4th most buried at 5v5 in the league among forwards who've played a 100 minutes.

His p/60 is 1.66, which is a bit of a dip from where he's been the last couple of seasons but not by much... playing 9:36 a night at 5v5 is probably the reason he's a little lower in terms of than what you'd want from the hit. And yeah, if he's only playing that much a night at 5v5, you do have to ask why he's getting 2.2m. But I don't think it's on Blueger.

The one thing I'd add on Bloogs statistically is that while his 1.5 GA/60 on the PK does indeed look like the reason we're better... his 8.52 xGA/60 against, second highest on the team among forwards, suggests either the predictive stats are badly out of whack (possible) or he owes Jarry a lot of dinners. We've got a 97.5 save percentage with Blueger on ice on the PK.

Statistically, if there's a forward personnel reason we're better on the PK, it's not letting Jeff Carter PK. His stats are "you can't do that" - a 12.48 GA/60, a 12.61 xGA/60. It looks like we're better since Blueger's back, but that's because Carter's only taken multiple PK shifts in about 3 games at a guess since Blueger's back. And yes, there is causation as well as correlation that Carter is off the PK with Blueger back... but arguably it could be anyone as long as it's not Carter.

We'll see over the long haul how much Blueger is getting shit done as to whether his stats regress to the mean like they surely should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad