Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Kraken | loss | The video coach was our best player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't get the looking back tearfully re: Tanev and McCann at all TBH.

The did nothing here when it mattered. Nothing.
The problem is basically bringing in another Tanev (Though cheaper by .750) is the problem. Neither should have been isolated at 4th line minutes at their cap hits, and if they can't cut it as 3rd liners they never should have been signed in the first place. Now, going in circle, again. This team should have cut bait with guys who can't cut it internally as 3rd liners and not give higher cap hits to be permanent 4th liners. All this cap that could have gone to an actual impact player this team seems to lack who "can" take some of the pressure off the top lines.

Again.... CIRCLES.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
There was definitely a contingent of posters and media types who saw him as a must-keep, or at least "don't move until you get a 1st pairing LD lined up". And I get the abundance of caution, but he has not looked like his old self for a few seasons now and I'm doubtful he'll ever really recover. So, we don't have that 1LD now and we're not going to get much of anything back I think for the husk o' Dumo.

I don't think Matheson would have necessarily been the answer there, but man, I wish we'd at least tried for a significant amount of time before we started shopping LDs. :laugh:
I assure Pens fans this - rue the day Mattheson was traded for Petry.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Either way, I've already given way more memory and thought to the existence of McCann and Tanev as hockey players. They're gone, they're trash, oh well.

Now, on to more important things, like lamenting the loss of John "Masshole Lidstrom" Marino.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah it's pretty damning on McGinn that both Archibald and Poehling look much more effective on the 4th line and they costs way less than him. One comment I'd make on McGinn though is that I liked him much more on L3 than L4. Maybe McGinn's issue is just him not playing with Blueger, but I would look for alternative ways to use him going forward.

I could see a legit argument for bumping McGinn up to L3 and Kapanen down to L4. Maybe run with McGinn-Carter-Heinen and Poehling-Blueger-Kapanen or something like that.

I assure Pens fans this - rue the day Mattheson was traded for Petry.

Lol no they won't.

Matheson is a sheltered #4 defenseman.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Either way, I've already given way more memory and thought to the existence of McCann and Tanev as hockey players. They're gone, they're trash, oh well.

Now, on to more important things, like lamenting the loss of John "Masshole Lidstrom" Marino.
My biggest peeve is with Sullivan. The guy still has a quick trigger when something new isn't working well for a game or two, but will stick with something he loves for dozens upon dozens of games when that's not working.

Case in point the Sid/Rakell experiment. Everyone and their dog could predict he'd reunite Rust with that top line sooner rather than later the very moment the line stopped producing, yet you know that line could go the next 30 games without producing and he'd hesitate to flip it back.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
My biggest peeve is with Sullivan. The guy still has a quick trigger when something new isn't working well for a game or two, but will stick with something he loves for dozens upon dozens of games when that's not working.

Case in point the Sid/Rakell experiment. Everyone and their dog could predict he'd reunite Rust with that top line sooner rather than later the very moment the line stopped producing, yet you know that line could go the next 30 games without producing and he'd hesitate to flip it back.
That's just NHL coaches, and execs, to be fair. Sully's aggravating, but we saw for years Shero stick with guys like Eaton, and Scuderi, and Orpik, and Bylsma, and the whole "Sid and Geno carried this team to a Cup with nothing on their wings, and we had a strong 3rd line--that must be the way forever" schtick.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's just NHL coaches, and execs, to be fair. Sully's aggravating, but we saw for years Shero stick with guys like Eaton, and Scuderi, and Orpik, and Bylsma, and the whole "Sid and Geno carried this team to a Cup with nothing on their wings, and we had a strong 3rd line--that must be the way forever" schtick.
But that's my point about moving on from Sullivan. A new coach won't be married to his ways yet because he's brand new to the roster. He won't have favorites immediately and might actually try something new and stick with it for a while. With Sullivan, you can 100% predict his lineup moves because as long as he's here that's what he'll do.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don't get the looking back tearfully re: Tanev and McCann at all TBH.

The did nothing here when it mattered. Nothing.
Neither did any other players that were on the team for the two playoff series against the islanders and Canadians.

Sully got absolutely owned by the Isles and Habs in ‘19 and ‘20, but his dumbass is still here.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah it's pretty damning on McGinn that both Archibald and Poehling look much more effective on the 4th line and they costs way less than him. One comment I'd make on McGinn though is that I liked him much more on L3 than L4. Maybe McGinn's issue is just him not playing with Blueger, but I would look for alternative ways to use him going forward.

I could see a legit argument for bumping McGinn up to L3 and Kapanen down to L4. Maybe run with McGinn-Carter-Heinen and Poehling-Blueger-Kapanen or something like that.

Lol no they won't.

Matheson is a sheltered #4 defenseman.
If you say so ......

But Petry still sucks
No one in Montreal was sorry to see him go and The Habs couldn't find a buyer ar trade deadline last year.
I was was stunned that Hextall traded fir him

Last edited:
Reactions: Pens x

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll take your word for it , but he cant be worse for us than Petry was.

I promise you that he will be.

This is how Matheson did when used how Montreal used him. The Penguins got great results out of him because they were mindful with his minutes, and when they started expanding that usage, he started getting burned. Matheson was abused while playing tougher minutes with Marino last year.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I think Sullivan needs to look in the mirror when he wonder why his top six plays poor defensively and only seems to care about offense.. when.. that’s exactly how he uses them.

He’s doing some things right this year. But his usual favorites that haven’t worked for years are complete burning him.

Petts - Petry should be leading the team in 5v5 usage.

POJ should be paired with Letang and they should be playing 18-20 minutes a night at most.

That gives you Dumo and Rutta as your bottom pairing playing 16-18.

Rakell should be getting all situational usage on the top PP and 5v5.

Sid and Rust need to be fixtures on the PK until it stops failing. If they drop Letang’s 5v5 time significantly they can put him back on the PK, preferably over Dumo.

Malkin and the Powerplay were doing fantastic with him playing the top C role. As soon as we stopped doing that the PP fell apart.
Couldn't agree more. Sullivan preaches accountability and constant improvement but he has favorites. It's bitten us in the ass before. Circumstances force him to try new things but he reverts to his favorites as soon as he can, whether that is Letang playing in all situations despite being a dumpster fire, GCR, and Geno up top on the PP. The PP was better when Sid was running it from the top and Geno was roving all over and shooting.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Petry was bad for Montreal for what, half a season out of 6? And the tail half of that bad season he put up a point per game in his last 20 games? Please
Yea. Check your stats sheet buddy.
I'll take the word of Pens fans on Mattheson. But yea, don't bother listening to Habs fan on Petry.......when you have your spread sheet to look at.

Reactions: Pens x

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We used to do very well on our Western Conference swings because we were faster than those heavier teams…well, now we’re not fast and we’re not heavy so we have no identity or type of play that’s going to give us an edge against any team….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad