Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Kraken | loss | The video coach was our best player

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
We used to do very well on our Western Conference swings because we were faster than those heavier teams…well, now we’re not fast and we’re not heavy so we have no identity or type of play that’s going to give us an edge against any team….
We are just not playing fast right now. Can't play fast when you cough the puck up non stop and don't have the energy to give a damn.

Reactions: Andy99

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Yea. Check your stats sheet buddy.
I'll take the word of Pens fans on Mattheson. But yea, don't bother listening to Habs fan on Petry.......when you have your spread sheet to look at.
I am no student of the Habs, but I clearly remember Petry doing more than his part shutting down the Penguins in the play-in, a couple of years ago. He played strong.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We are just not playing fast right now. Can't play fast when you cough the puck up non stop and don't have the energy to give a damn.
Yes, but I don’t think we’re all that fast anyway…we were average in speed of play last season and we only got older lol…

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I am no student of the Habs, but I clearly remember Petry doing more than his part shutting down the Penguins in the play-in, a couple of years ago. He played strong.
Had his moments . I'm sure Mattheson had his too. But I obviously want my Habs to won and I'm glad Petry is no longer on the roster. Not alone in that either.
But hey , maybe Sid snd the boys will rub off on him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think that's a problem as well.

Playing fast and skating fast are two very different things. When the system makes sense and feels like second nature, the players don't second guess themselves and play fast with quick movements and understanding their roles in a more defined system. I don't really get what the Pens system is, one game it's a decent transition game and the next its dump and sort of chase, the cycle game is barely existent outside of the 4th line and then the 4th line on the Penguins gets some of the hardest Dzone usage in the NHL.

But this is literally the same system since the Caps blew it up like ZAR's face by Wilson. They keep changing the pieces on the board but the person playing chess is still using the same tactic hoping for it to suddenly work out of nowhere. I think it's very easily forgotten that the Pens first cup in the Crosby era wasn't a Bylsma systems team. It was a Therrien/Bylsma system team, Bylsma hadn't had enough time to really settle in his system and the team was still doing parts of what worked with Therrien. It's the same with MJ and Sullivan, MJ wasn't entirely awful, he put some stuff in that might have worked if he wasn't so pigheaded with it, but Sullivan comes in and adds his take with a blend of MJ's and it works, twice.

Since then, the coach doesn't like the hard hitting types all that much, at least ones that will destroy anyone that pisses them off, he also doesn't like youth in higher up positions to utilize their skills with Sid or Geno and would rather punish them to learn the 2-way game above all else.

I looked at the Canucks game as a big example of why the Penguins are doomed to fail under Sullivan until he's gone - Look at Mikheyev and Andrei Kuzmenko. Where do you think Sullivan would have played either of those two on the Penguins?

Likely with Poehling or Carter and that's it. Meanwhile both of those lads are literally with Elias Pettersson. Imagine something so bold being done on the Pens, when really it's not that f***ing bold at all.

Sullivan would shit himself with frustration and anger if he was told to put O'Connor-Malkin-Puustinen together as a line during the Zucker & Guentzel injuries.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Had his moments . I'm sure Mattheson had his too. But I obviously want my Habs to won and I'm glad Petry is no longer on the roster. Not alone in that either.
But hey , maybe Sid snd the boys will rub off on him.
I think it's easy to forget for you lot how solid Petry was, I was admittedly not a fan of him for his other antics (more so his family not him) but as a player, he was solid and would surprise you with a rush up the ice and being smart with the puck. The problem is the Penguins, not the player. This is something that has consistently been happening for a long time now.

Look at each year of the "reclamation projects" this team has so called "fixed"...

Niskanen - Has his break out year when Letang is shortened to under 40 games.
Schultz - Has a massive break out year when Letang is shortened to 41 games, then he's sort of stunted since with injuries and whatever the Pens did to the lad.

I think the Assistants try to do something and are overridden by Sullivan. Niskanen was under Bylsma but at this point, we're not really seeing much of a difference in coach mentalities. I don't know if it's some pull Letang has with Crosby or whatever it is, but Letang out seems to actually elevate other players into what they could be and then they're not even an afterthought when Letang is back.

If they actually limited Letang's minutes and took him off the top powerplay, this team would actually function better. No one fears the Pens blueline, they know it's pass-pass-pass, Sid or Geno shoot at the side of the net or Slot.

I was 100% for keeping Malkin over Letang, a lot here freaked out with Letang gone and who would run the show, when in reality, we were probably way better off losing Letang, adding Rutta and maybe even keeping Marino and Matheson with Dumoulin moving way down the depth to 3rd pair with Friedman. Letang has cult status, I like the bloke, but as a player, he's just not it anymore. He produces but mostly because he's attached to Sid & Jake at the hip on the top line pairing D and the top PP Unit. Most of the time his shot hits super far wide or his wrist shot is just at the worst possible time these days. He produces because he is behind a top 6 that produces.

Letang has 4 assists in 9 games and is -5 and yet he is getting more opportunities than Petry who has 1g and 4pts and is a +3. That Letang contract is the contract that f***ed this team.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think that's a problem as well.

Playing fast and skating fast are two very different things. When the system makes sense and feels like second nature, the players don't second guess themselves and play fast with quick movements and understanding their roles in a more defined system. I don't really get what the Pens system is, one game it's a decent transition game and the next its dump and sort of chase, the cycle game is barely existent outside of the 4th line and then the 4th line on the Penguins gets some of the hardest Dzone usage in the NHL.

But this is literally the same system since the Caps blew it up like ZAR's face by Wilson. They keep changing the pieces on the board but the person playing chess is still using the same tactic hoping for it to suddenly work out of nowhere. I think it's very easily forgotten that the Pens first cup in the Crosby era wasn't a Bylsma systems team. It was a Therrien/Bylsma system team, Bylsma hadn't had enough time to really settle in his system and the team was still doing parts of what worked with Therrien. It's the same with MJ and Sullivan, MJ wasn't entirely awful, he put some stuff in that might have worked if he wasn't so pigheaded with it, but Sullivan comes in and adds his take with a blend of MJ's and it works, twice.

Since then, the coach doesn't like the hard hitting types all that much, at least ones that will destroy anyone that pisses them off, he also doesn't like youth in higher up positions to utilize their skills with Sid or Geno and would rather punish them to learn the 2-way game above all else.

I looked at the Canucks game as a big example of why the Penguins are doomed to fail under Sullivan until he's gone - Look at Mikheyev and Andrei Kuzmenko. Where do you think Sullivan would have played either of those two on the Penguins?

Likely with Poehling or Carter and that's it. Meanwhile both of those lads are literally with Elias Pettersson. Imagine something so bold being done on the Pens, when really it's not that f***ing bold at all.

Sullivan would shit himself with frustration and anger if he was told to put O'Connor-Malkin-Puustinen together as a line during the Zucker & Guentzel injuries.

I don't follow Kuz but man I would like Pens to trade for Mikheyev (retained of course) from watching him in his Toronto days. As for the system? I don't really follow that stuff so I can't speak on it, just what I see. But we aren't the 2016 Pens that had speed galore. We have to play fast with energy or look like shit.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It would be weird for them to sign Kuzmenko and not play him in the top six.

Mikheyev being in the top six is not something I would commend a coach on.
Point is they are at least tried in the top 6. Sully is allergic to giving any youth that opportunity.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Mikheyev is 28. Kuzmenko is 26.

Bruce is doing exactly what Sullivan would do with Rathbone and Hoglander and they are superior players to a lot of the forwards and defensemen on that team.
Kuzmenko is a rookie to the NHL. We've already seen what he's done to Riikola. You're missing the point. Sullivan doesn't give anyone that isn't some 2way grinder, top 6 opportunities.

The sudden panic of also taking Rust off Malkin's line as well, nothing changes.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yea. Check your stats sheet buddy.
I'll take the word of Pens fans on Mattheson. But yea, don't bother listening to Habs fan on Petry.......when you have your spread sheet to look at.
Shouldn't you be busy retiring the numbers of a bunch of nobodies?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think it's easy to forget for you lot how solid Petry was, I was admittedly not a fan of him for his other antics (more so his family not him) but as a player, he was solid and would surprise you with a rush up the ice and being smart with the puck. The problem is the Penguins, not the player. This is something that has consistently been happening for a long time now.

Look at each year of the "reclamation projects" this team has so called "fixed"...

Schultz - Has a massive break out year when Letang is shortened to 41 games, then he's sort of stunted since with injuries and whatever the Pens did to the lad.

I think the Assistants try to do something and are overridden by Sullivan. Niskanen was under Bylsma but at this point, we're not really seeing much of a difference in coach mentalities. I don't know if it's some pull Letang has with Crosby or whatever it is, but Letang out seems to actually elevate other players into what they could be and then they're not even an afterthought when Letang is back.

If they actually limited Letang's minutes and took him off the top powerplay, this team would actually function better. No one fears the Pens blueline, they know it's pass-pass-pass, Sid or Geno shoot at the side of the net or Slot.

I was 100% for keeping Malkin over Letang, a lot here freaked out with Letang gone and who would run the show, when in reality, we were probably way better off losing Letang, adding Rutta and maybe even keeping Marino and Matheson with Dumoulin moving way down the depth to 3rd pair with Friedman. Letang has cult status, I like the bloke, but as a player, he's just not it anymore. He produces but mostly because he's attached to Sid & Jake at the hip on the top line pairing D and the top PP Unit. Most of the time his shot hits super far wide or his wrist shot is just at the worst possible time these days. He produces because he is behind a top 6 that produces.

Letang has 4 assists in 9 games and is -5 and yet he is getting more opportunities than Petry who has 1g and 4pts and is a +3. That Letang contract is the contract that f***ed this team.
Wow. I'll watch how this ages.

You do know Letang plays against the top lines. Put Petry there and I highly doubt if you would still be singing his praises. But I will watch and see how much validity your points have. Pens are great team to watch. (not counting this recent road trip that is)

Cheers mate !

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
OK I'll do that, The first year you guys dont go out in the first round.
Oh man, have we been doing that? Thanks for letting me know, Habs poster, I'll get right on that and see what I can do.

Anyhow, you should probably raise a banner for the Weeknd, too. He really put Montreal back on the map.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Busting out the old we “fixed” Niskanen 12 years ago argument is always my favorite. Completely different coaches, system and players. Doesn’t matter!

This homer theory is great because it only gets worse as time goes by.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Oh man, have we been doing that? Thanks for letting me know, Habs poster, I'll get right on that and see what I can do.

Anyhow, you should probably raise a banner for the Weeknd, too. He really put Montreal back on the map.
Oh man, have the Habs retired jerseys in the past ? Thanks for letting me know that Pens poster. Ill get right on that and see what I can do.

Anyway, you should probably watch some old tapes this week end of the Pens playing in the second round.

Or the Habs vs Pens in 2020. ( ;

Cheers

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Why is @PaulD allowed to troll on a Pens’ board?
I like the Pens. Have a had nothing but good things to say about them for years. Actually had their backs at times when Pens fans were ripping them to shreds.

I put up with Petry for years in Montreal. Earned the right to critique him. Didnt expect to get into it with one of his relatives on here. ( ;

Just friendly chirping - both ways.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad