Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Kings: PP giveth and taketh away on Jagr night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I rather try a new coach before we blow it up but maybe that's just me.
That's literally been me too you wanker. Just for that I'm also breaking into your home and will upper deck all the toilets and hide lunch meat in places you'll smell but never find.

But yeah mate. I mean a new coach will come in and decide who to bench and make it easier for the coach to move those players. Even trigger happy JR waited a little after firing MJ, I mean he made moves that needed to be made but then let the coach we're suffering with now, essentially use the blokes he wanted to bring up and made moved accordingly.

My biggest fear/anger/gripe is Dubas doing more of what JR and Hextall have done trying to fix the team that can't be fixed when the coach is the problem and end up making trades and losing a ton more assets in the process.

Seriously - did anyone watching this game think the Pens were going to win when they were up 1-0. They could barely execute simple zone entries from the 2nd period on, and LA was swarming all over them. Simply put, they have largely mediocre talent exacerbated by not very good coaching.
These are issues that have been slowly solidifying themselves for 3-4+ seasons.

Mate, the vast majority of us are not shocked and the ones that are acting like they're shocked have been in denial for a while.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would have done that 2-3 years ago, but now it's too late regardless.
If you fire Sullivan tomorrow you afford Dubas time to make moves to get assets at the best time for such a thing - trade deadline. As it'll be a retool and allowing a new coach to just put in some positive changes to end the year on a good note and not more "searching for answers" horse shit.

Keeping Sullivan and firing him at the end of the season, the damage he's been doing will be worse I think for players like O'Connor, Gruden, Puustinen, Yager (soon) etc as they are players that can do more with right usage and this coach will never give it to them.

I think if Dubas does it in season, Gallant will probably be the bloke. If that's the case I really hope they find some fresh blood for assistant coaches and Dubas really shows us smart out of the box hires finally that help at that level.

The plan should be - Fire Sullivan, new coach.

Move anyway at or before the deadline:
Ruhwedel
Carter
Smith (maybe)
Guentzel (I do this either way imo, the assets he brings back are a need more than what he can do for a team that won't be a contender but can trend the right way again with a new coach and fresh blood mixed in with vets)
Nedeljkovic - He should fetch a good return too, a lot of teams will be desperate for goaltending depth, Pens have good options in wbs. I'd give Hellberg and Blom a recall separately to get them 2-3 games each.
Essentially if he can move these blokes as well, do it - Acciari, Nieto, Hinostroza, Harkins, White, Eller (although I'd like to Keep Eller for the 4c job next year, but if there's interest, adios)...

Reactions: Darren McCord

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Just finished the game on ESPN Plus.

With the lineup Sullivan put together, I'm so glad they lost.
I mean get you tuned in for the Jagr ceremony but I legit feel bad that you watched that game after and should have saved yourself the headache and just checked the score. Then watched the ceremony and log out immediately.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I mean get you tuned in for the Jagr ceremony but I legit feel bad that you watched that game after and should have saved yourself the headache and just checked the score. Then watched the ceremony and log out immediately.
I'm a fan. I can't stop myself from hoping. But I am dumb and Norm is smart.

"I don't give a f*** what Obama says, hope is not a good thing. Don't try it."

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Missed the third because of beer league. Sad.

I think this is the "white flag" game for the season. Hopefully Dubas agrees.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Missed the third because of beer league. Sad.

I think this is the "white flag" game for the season. Hopefully Dubas agrees.
I bet your beer league put up a better effort than what was coached out of the team today

@Zirakzigil - I think you should add this as a disclaimer for anyone that does GDT'S And PGT's.

Coach Sullivan: "We didn't play the game the right way... The game is too difficult if you don't play in a five-man unit out there. For whatever reason, the last few games, we're disconnected. And that's our challenge, is to fix it."

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That's literally been me too you wanker. Just for that I'm also breaking into your home and will upper deck all the toilets and hide lunch meat in places you'll smell but never find.

But yeah mate. I mean a new coach will come in and decide who to bench and make it easier for the coach to move those players. Even trigger happy JR waited a little after firing MJ, I mean he made moves that needed to be made but then let the coach we're suffering with now, essentially use the blokes he wanted to bring up and made moved accordingly.

My biggest fear/anger/gripe is Dubas doing more of what JR and Hextall have done trying to fix the team that can't be fixed when the coach is the problem and end up making trades and losing a ton more assets in the process.

These are issues that have been slowly solidifying themselves for 3-4+ seasons.

Mate, the vast majority of us are not shocked and the ones that are acting like they're shocked have been in denial for a while.

Bro I had a f***in cheap ass security camera too, but it was being all gay so it was shut off for now then BOOM! I wish I was awake like the last guy trying to break inside that I scared off. I dunno why I don't get so angry at this shit that I decide enough is enough and learn a martial art and get in the best shape I can possibly be in but I don't and that shit needs to stop because these mother f***ers aint going to stop. Next guy I am going to go psycho crazy on them, which is probably you by what you typed so watch out!!! ;) I NEED TO TAKE MY CRAZY PILLS!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If you fire Sullivan tomorrow you afford Dubas time to make moves to get assets at the best time for such a thing - trade deadline. As it'll be a retool and allowing a new coach to just put in some positive changes to end the year on a good note and not more "searching for answers" horse shit.

Keeping Sullivan and firing him at the end of the season, the damage he's been doing will be worse I think for players like O'Connor, Gruden, Puustinen, Yager (soon) etc as they are players that can do more with right usage and this coach will never give it to them.

I think if Dubas does it in season, Gallant will probably be the bloke. If that's the case I really hope they find some fresh blood for assistant coaches and Dubas really shows us smart out of the box hires finally that help at that level.

The plan should be - Fire Sullivan, new coach.

Move anyway at or before the deadline:
Ruhwedel
Carter
Smith (maybe)
Guentzel (I do this either way imo, the assets he brings back are a need more than what he can do for a team that won't be a contender but can trend the right way again with a new coach and fresh blood mixed in with vets)
Nedeljkovic - He should fetch a good return too, a lot of teams will be desperate for goaltending depth, Pens have good options in wbs. I'd give Hellberg and Blom a recall separately to get them 2-3 games each.
Essentially if he can move these blokes as well, do it - Acciari, Nieto, Hinostroza, Harkins, White, Eller (although I'd like to Keep Eller for the 4c job next year, but if there's interest, adios)...

Dear God the roster is not that good. Including the top end of the roster. So you think that DOC, Puustinen, and Yager are the quality of players who put a 37-38 year old core over the top? Let's get serious now. This thing is totally spent. There is not juice to wring out of this any more. Fire Sully with a new coach bump (right now, tomorrow) but barring that it is malfeasance to put off the rebuild any longer. No matter how many pet prospects from a bottom of the barrel minor league system you happen to like.

Fire Sully anyway because f him. But this is so stupid. We are done.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dear God the roster is not that good. Including the top end of the roster. So you think that DOC, Puustinen, and Yager are the quality of players who put a 37-38 year old core over the top? Let's get serious now. This thing is totally spent. There is not juice to wring out of this any more. Fire Sully with a new coach bump (right now, tomorrow) but barring that it is malfeasance to put off the rebuild any longer. No matter how many pet prospects from a bottom of the barrel minor league system you happen to like.

Fire Sully anyway because f him. But this is so stupid. We are done.

Puustinen is out producing what Sheary and Rust did on the 15-16 team.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
+ the legacy, the history, and celebrating that tonight.
+ Watching the dwindling seasons of Sid's career, and watching him seal up his own legacy.
- where they're currently at in their cycle. They're at the inverted yield curve part of the cycle, just before the recession hits. You wonder "are we in the recession yet?" And then four years later tickets cost $20 and Dick Tarnstrom is leading your team in scoring.

Reactions: Captain Hook

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Mike Sullivan’s fault, seriously.

Ok cool, Mike Sullivan closed the window.

We agree.

But closed means closed. You are not getting a do-over of the 2021-2022 season when Sullivan should have been fired. Or the previous one. You are asking for some miracle retool in the year 2025 when the principal players will invariably be worse than they are right now. Firing Sullivan does not include a time machine. Do it right now and see if it works, but the off-season retool is the most pointless thing we could do.

Reactions: Headshot77

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ok cool, Mike Sullivan closed the window.

We agree.

But closed means closed. You are not getting a do-over of the 2021-2022 season when Sullivan should have been fired. Or the previous one. You are asking for some miracle retool in the year 2025 when the principal players will invariably be worse than they are right now. Firing Sullivan does not include a time machine. Do it right now and see if it works, but the off-season retool is the most pointless thing we could do.

This team has had scoring issues for four years. It’s because of the staff.

Blueger is going to hit a career high. McCann did. etc etc etc

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This team has had scoring issues for four years. It’s because of the staff.

Blueger is going to hit a career high. McCann did. etc etc etc

What are the rest of the et ceteras. Zucker? Petry? Kapanen?

The staff sucks but there is no big holdback on talent going on. If Evgeni Malkin, Reilly Smith and Rickard Rakell are on a line together that can't score, I have a limit to the extent where I believe the.coaches are.holding things back. These are respected NHL vets with cache.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What are the rest of the et ceteras. Zucker? Petry? Kapanen?

The staff sucks but there is no big holdback on talent going on. If Evgeni Malkin, Reilly Smith and Rickard Rakell are on a line together that can't score, I have a limit to the extent where I believe the.coaches are.holding things back. These are respected NHL vets with cache.

Kapanen is playing top nine minutes on a playoff team.

Petry is playing top six d minutes on a playoff team.

Zucker is producing and playing well on Arizona.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Kapanen is playing top nine minutes on a playoff team.

Petry is playing top six d minutes on a playoff team.

Zucker is producing and playing well on Arizona.

Sorry, are we talking about scoring rates or "on a playoff team" and "playing well?" be consistent with your criteria.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I’m not sure I get your point. Kapanen produced more in Toronto than here. So did Zucker in Minnesota.

I get my point very well, sorry I am not communicating it well.

It is very unlikely we have a dynamic offense next year under a new coach because our principal players are old and getting older, our supporting cast is mid, and our assets are terrible.

Seems very far fetched to have faith in this point, and more rooted emotionally to prove a point that Sully killed this team for a couple of years. But the team would be dead regardless.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I get my point very well, sorry I am not communicating it well.

It is very unlikely we have a dynamic offense next year under a new coach because our principal players are old and getting older, our supporting cast is mid, and our assets are terrible.

Seems very far fetched to have faith in this point, and more rooted emotionally to prove a point that Sully killed this team for a couple of years. But the team would be dead regardless.

I honestly think this team could make the playoffs if you fire Sullivan tomorrow.

Reactions: wizmet12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad