Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Ride or die Pens

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's a far cry from how any organization acts tbh. I cannot fathom another organization allowing a coach to bumblef*** things for six years, not making the 2nd round once, and missing the playoffs (potentially twice), yet still being behind the bench. It's no longer about this team trying to make a change in order to salvage one final run, it's about the total lack of accountability. Spanning multiple FOs, and multiple ownership groups. It's bizarre. :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's a far cry from how any organization acts tbh. I cannot fathom another organization allowing a coach to bumblef*** things for six years, not making the 2nd round once, and missing the playoffs (potentially twice), yet still being behind the bench. It's no longer about this team trying to make a change in order to salvage one final run, it's about the total lack of accountability. Spanning multiple FOs, and multiple ownership groups. It's bizarre. :laugh:
I mean, the Habs and Leafs were kinda close in their long periods of mediocrity, but they had the advantage that they will sell out regardless of whether or not the team is actually good, which the Pens clearly don't.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Yohe mentioned Sullivan three times in his post-match "analysis", one of the mentions is even slightly critical if you squint hard enough. Baby steps.

[Karlsson's] inability to help the Penguins has been one of the season’s biggest mysteries. This guy, in theory, was born to be a Penguin. But it simply isn’t working.
A real mystery why trying to teach a Norris caliber D-man to play a completely different way at the age of 33 might backfire.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I don't even watch any more. I just check to see whether Sid scored. I'd like to see him get to 50. Otherwise there is no reason to pay any attention to this team. It could not be more clear (and has been for years) what this team is: they are at best scraping to get in and I don't think they make it this year. We are just biding time until the core actually leaves and the team decides to try to compete again. They clearly do not have the will to try anything right now.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
And people lap this up

Because most people simply follow what the media tells them, and media rarely ever criticizes coaches or front office. They must figure their access could be cut off if they do, but unless it is so painstakingly obvious, you rarely see a criticism of a suit. It's always "players need to play better," , "the coaches know what they are doing."

This Pens coaching staff seems to be the epitome of the old Yogi Berra quote: "In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not." But again, media won't bite the hand that feeds them. And players can't really come out and say what they are really thinking (if they are thinking that*) without opening the gates of hell upon themselves. So coaches are in a nice cocoon on that front.

*It's looking more and more like Sullivan is here because Crosby wants him, which is very disappointing to me. Crosby is cutting his own throat if so.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Kudos to Ned for owning it. He was bad and the reason they lost the game.

BUUUUT, this was the first game in some time that the goalie was the reason. You cannot play on the margins like this team prefers to do and expect to win. They are playing "not to lose" and it's infected their play
I say 'boo' for taking the fall.

He gave up a couple of not great goals for sure, but there was L.O.L. worthy defense played last night. Petts got absolutely walked, gave up a breakaway at the end of another pathetic PP, and Crosby and Letang parted like the Red Sea in OT. Even the one bad goal was an absolutely pathetic turnover from Graves.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I say 'boo' for taking the fall.

He gave up a couple of not great goals for sure, but there was L.O.L. worthy defense played last night. Petts got absolutely walked, gave up a breakaway at the end of another pathetic PP, and Crosby and Letang parted like the Red Sea in OT. Even the one bad goal was an absolutely pathetic turnover from Graves.

Eh I'm not going to whitewash Ned last night. NHL goalies just can't let in unscreened goals from that distance.

But your point is valid: all season long opponents waltz right in and the goalies have saved their bacon time and time again. Face it: if we hadn't received above expected average goaltending this season, the Pens would have already been eliminated last month.

So on the whole, I chalk it up to "just one of those games" every single goalie on this planet has.
This team does its goalies zero favors and last night the chickens came home to roost.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Kudos to Ned for owning it. He was bad and the reason they lost the game.

BUUUUT, this was the first game in some time that the goalie was the reason. You cannot play on the margins like this team prefers to do and expect to win. They are playing "not to lose" and it's infected their play
No...
Ned got us the 1st point.
Ned didn't win us the 2nd point.

Besides, did we even have the puck even for a moment in the OT? I don't even think so. Also what were Letang and Crosby doing on a 1on2. I think all 3 had some blame in OT.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No...
Ned got us the 1st point.
Ned didn't win us the 2nd point.

Besides, did we even have the puck even for a moment in the OT? I don't even think so. Also what were Letang and Crosby doing on a 1on2. I think all 3 had some blame in OT.

As sad as Crosby/Letang's effort was it was all set up by thinking it was somehow smart to start the OT with Smith and Eller. Who promptly got abused for nearly a straight minute on an extended shift before a line change that can kindly be described as "lethargic."

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Eh I'm not going to whitewash Ned last night. NHL goalies just can't let in unscreened goals from that distance.

But your point is valid: all season long opponents waltz right in and the goalies have saved their bacon time and time again. Face it: if we hadn't received above expected average goaltending this season, the Pens would have already been eliminated last month.

So on the whole, I chalk it up to "just one of those games" every single goalie on this planet has.
This team does its goalies zero favors and last night the chickens came home to roost.
I think there is a difference between an unscreened shot from that distance and an unscreened shot from that distance when the guy has a full head of steam completely undeterred through the neutral zone, across the blueline, and when he finally took the shot from the top of the circles.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I give ned some props for owning the whiffs. damn if DoC could get a legit shot he'd be a perennial 20+ goal scorer.
Why on earth can't we just put the puck on the net and crash on the PP. Jagr broke down exactly what is wrong when he said that these guys defer to each other to much and need to put the puck on net when they have a lane.
But we are done like dinner. That's a lot of points to make up in a short time. Has anyone ever made up 8/9 pts in a playoff race in 29 games? That's a pretty tall mountain to get over.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I give ned some props for owning the whiffs. damn if DoC could get a legit shot he'd be a perennial 20+ goal scorer.
Why on earth can't we just put the puck on the net and crash on the PP. Jagr broke down exactly what is wrong when he said that these guys defer to each other to much and need to put the puck on net when they have a lane.
But we are done like dinner. That's a lot of points to make up in a short time. Has anyone ever made up 8/9 pts in a playoff race in 29 games? That's a pretty tall mountain to get over.
One weird run by the Senators where they picked up 14 points in the race but other no one below 5 points has ever made a run in recent years

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Todays the day fellas. Sully is gone today.
I hope but I doubt it…best case will be after the season I think…

Edit: if this isn’t the only reason to fire Sullivan, it’s a damn good one: Puustinen on the ice for 1 shot against and 12 for last night….Jeff Carter had the worst rate of any player, being on the ice for 3 shot attempts for and 12 against and yet who played more?: you guessed it lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The PP stunk but there were two other things that sunk us:
1. Neds let in two long shots that were very saveable. In this game, the goaltender lost us the point.
2. Sid and Letang in OT letting Pelech walk right in and get the shot off is inexcusable. That's a complete lack of respect for your opponent. Not a good showing.

That said, this was a very good game for depth scoring.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Todays the day fellas. Sully is gone today.

I didn’t watch a single game this season because I can’t stand watching Sullivan hockey anymore, he should’ve been gone since atleast 2020.

They could lose them all until the end of the season and he’s still won’t get fired,
If they really wanted to fire Sullivan he would’ve been gone by now.

Therefore, he’s not going anywhere

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They could lose them all until the end of the season and he’s still won’t get fired, he’s not going anywhere.
I'm glad someone else finally sees this. Apparently many here simply don't understand that the organIzation largely views the players as the culprits and not the head coach. Not yet anyhow.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I didn’t watch a single game this season because I can’t stand watching Sullivan hockey anymore, he should’ve been gone since atleast 2020.

They could lose them all until the end of the season and he’s still won’t get fired,
If they really wanted to fired Sullivan he would’ve been gone by now.

Therefore, he’s not going anywhere

Correct answer.

This press conference today will just be more handwaving and theater.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Look Sullivan isn't going anywhere and if I bash my head against the desk enough times hard enough I can rationalize that from their POV even if I don't agree at all.

But can we at LEAST get Todd Reirden the f*** outta here? He stunk the first go around and I have no idea why he was even brought back much less CONTINUES to hang around. Of all the absurdities this season this is perhaps the most egregious. And that's saying something because I just watched the team play some guy named Matthew Phillips on the top powerplay and line 2 last night and act like that was smart or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad