Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Holtbyism's laptop - 12:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
That was absolutely great hockey from Caps in the third. Too bad we didnt get rewarded today but fortunately we dont desperately need the point either.

i guess that means Kevin from the Office fixed something in the second intermission? That was superb coaching?

Nah. Guys just decided it was enough of letting Pens do what they want and went out to dominate third period. If we have that gear, and we can switch it on when we really need it, its going to be a long playoffs run.
Eh, I don't necessarily buy that. We were down at the end of 1 and Pittsburgh was outplaying us. The time to make changes would have been between the first and 2nd period, not when down 3-1. That said, I don't pin this loss on Reirden, at least from a strategic standpoint. We didn't convert our chances. But on the whole the turnovers and defensive breakdowns are part of a larger problem, some of which can be traced to coaching. None of it would be a big problem if the PP was not abysmal.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The thing with Reirden is he has his favorites who he has no balls or desire to bench. Backstrom didn't deserve to be out there for the last minute. But he was.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
In a weird way - maybe it’s good caps lost today way they did.

with how they came back vs sharks and how they played in third today - if they scored it maybe would of kept them playing loose/like they can get behind

Seeing 2 goal third period comebacks are fun.... but they’re not realistic - especially in playoffs.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
That third period made the loss sweeten little bit. Moral victory :naughty: We need to clean up our game. All turnovers in the first period are unacceptable.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Caps lost today bc of missed opportunities, way too many dumb turnovers, and too many penaltjes again.

the good news is if they play this week Ofer 2 weeks this Pitt team is NOT beating the Caps.

Pitt is a team that in third period couldn’t handle all the physical play today. Imagine game 5, 6, etc... caps by then would have Pitt so wore down I think Caps win pretty easily vs them.

Physical play is still caps best weapon. Leipsic, Hathaway, Panik, Gudas, etc who all came here all play physical too.... and we obviously have a lot of other bruisers too.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Caps lost today bc of missed opportunities, way too many dumb turnovers, and too many penaltjes again.

the good news is if they play this week Ofer 2 weeks this Pitt team is NOT beating the Caps.

Pitt is a team that in third period couldn’t handle all the physical play today. Imagine game 5, 6, etc... caps by then would have Pitt so wore down I think Caps win pretty easily vs them.

Physical play is still caps best weapon. Leipsic, Hathaway, Panik, Gudas, etc who all came here all play physical too.... and we obviously have a lot of other bruisers too.

Caps need someone to replace Jensen & Leipsic. They are easily the weakest links.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Leipsic is limited player. Surely he isnt doing much lately. Boyd is better IMO. So Kreider or smb like that would be nice :P

Jensen. Well, Crosby is not that fast nowadays. He owned him. That's the scary prospect before playoffs. If Jensen is 2RD - he will see a lot of guys capable of outmuscling him... and it's doom.

Kempny - again, at least, there is depth behind him.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Anyway

GOOD The loss was written over it, and it's a perfect result for now

BAD 13 invisible, 19 mostly bad I think

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps need someone to replace Jensen & Leipsic. They are easily the weakest links.
Travis Boyd deserves a sweater. He has been consistently good this year. I’d like to see Fehrvary or Djoos over jensen. And a different head coach, as long as I’m making my wish list. (If we bow out of playoffs in 1st round again, which i am praying we don’t, i’d go in a different direction coaching wise)

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Hot take: I’m ok with that loss. Two fluky goals for Pittsburgh (of course) but I don’t think they could hang with us physically in a 6-7 game series. We’d wear them down.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Replacing Leipsic doesn't do anything for this team in the grand scheme of things. He's a 4th liner. He won't see the ice anyways in such games when they are down in score. Jensen is a different story. That position has TRADE AT THE DEADLINE written all over it.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Replacing Leipsic doesn't do anything for this team in the grand scheme of things. He's a 4th liner. He won't see the ice anyways in such games when they are down in score. Jensen is a different story. That position has TRADE AT THE DEADLINE written all over it.

Not arguing the Jensen piece — at all — but the Caps won their only Cup when their bottom 6 outplayed the other teams bottom 6’s. So YES, Leipsic is an issue.

I want an upgrade. Like, NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad