Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Holtbyism's laptop - 12:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This is what worries me as well. They are making major changes when they should just be making minor ones. I think Kuzy needs to stay on PP1 and drop Backstrom to PP2.
Ovie will always have a higher chance of scoring from his office than he will anywhere else - so leave him there. He's not the problem. I don't think Carlson and Oshie are the problems.
I think the entry is terrible - usually when they are able to get setup the PP looks reasonable / same as it always has. But every failed entry is about 30 seconds of wasted PP time and it seems to happen twice every time they have a PP.
So your opinion is that moving 19 off the first unit is a minor move?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is what worries me as well. They are making major changes when they should just be making minor ones. I think Kuzy needs to stay on PP1 and drop Backstrom to PP2.
Ovie will always have a higher chance of scoring from his office than he will anywhere else - so leave him there. He's not the problem. I don't think Carlson and Oshie are the problems.
I think the entry is terrible - usually when they are able to get setup the PP looks reasonable / same as it always has. But every failed entry is about 30 seconds of wasted PP time and it seems to happen twice every time they have a PP.

Very unlikely that Kuzy replaces Backstrom. Kuzy might re replace Vrana. I could see that but Backstrom doesn't make stupid passes into turnovers like goof to Jensen that gave Crosby the break. Kuzy does that with regularity. Backstrom doesn't pass away 10ft open shots in the slot like Kuzy did today. Backstrom is reliable.

The problem they are having is use of their options. Right now IMO they need to put Vrana in position to shoot the one timer off the rw. The PK cant take away the pass to Ov, the shot from Carlson and the play to Oshie and cover Vrana. Its the Tampa program where they have Stamkos on one side and Kucherov on the other.

It is true that when they inverted the pp today the pk was immediately lost. When Carlson goes to Ov's office the PK is always lost. I think the answer is Vrana. Forsythe isn't the problem. Major changes are not his call anyway

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I actually thought the Montreal game without him was the best our PP a looked in ages so not sure about that. Would be interesting to but him in the Wilson/Oshie spot for a little to see how teams adjust.

As mentioned above, if you move players into different spots, a pk prepped for one thing will be unprepared. Montreal had no scouting whatever for a Caps pp without Ovechkin. They had no idea. That would last a couple of games only.

If you honestly question whether Ov is the Caps biggest shooting weapon, I don't know what to tell you

Last edited:

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Very unlikely that Kuzy replaces Backstrom. Kuzy might re replace Vrana. I could see that but Backstrom doesn't make stupid passes into turnovers like goof to Jensen that gave Crosby the break. Kuzy does that with regularity. Backstrom doesn't pass away 10ft open shots in the slot like Kuzy did today. Backstrom is reliable.

The problem they are having is use of their options. Right now IMO they need to put Vrana in position to shoot the one timer off the rw. The PK cant take away the pass to Ov, the shot from Carlson and the play to Oshie and cover Vrana. Its the Tampa program where they have Stamkos on one side and Kucherov on the other.

It is true that when they inverted the pp today the pk was immediately lost. When Carlson goes to Ov's office the PK is always lost. I think the answer is Vrana. Forsythe isn't the problem. Major changes are not his call anyway

Huh? He's the coach of the powerplay. He's responsible and accountable for the design and execution. Period.

The PP has looked stagnant for 2 years now. Sometimes there are productive spurts because we have plenty of skill, and then it fizzles again because teams know how to disrupt it. The different look tonight not only confused the Pens, but it confused the Caps. There needs to be more motion, ppl need to skate more. Standing around and over-passing until Ovi or Oshie get open is the only hope and everyone knows it. Backy, Kuzy, Vrana, Carly, whomever else is on the PP, needs to shoot more. Need better board-battling - puck retrieving. The zone entries....for the love of all that is sacred, stop the f'n slingshot already. It gives the opposition time to set-up to defend it.

From watching Forsythe interviews, I get the impression he really doesn't give a crap anymore or is just out of ideas. I'm not here to go 10 rounds with you, which seems to be everyone else's experience, but if you truly believe Forsythe isn't the problem, then maybe you're Blaine Forsythe?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The Caps have a 6 on 5 unit. They practice it like they do the other special teams. Eller isn't on the unit. He doesn't practice it. I don't understand why this is an issue.

Because you hope your head coach is smart enough to read the game and see he was on, that he’s smart enough to adapt in game instead of being predictable and always following the script?

I don’t understand why this is hard to comprehend.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I thought the first two goals against Samsonov were weak. They lost right there. As is their identity they don't give up.
I bet you'd never admit it if it was Holtby. Now I know two things: every time Jensen craps the bed, we can expect you to come out and say how terrible Kempny is. And every time Holtby does that you can point at games when Samsonov wasn't good. Smart.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Huh? He's the coach of the powerplay. He's responsible and accountable for the design and execution. Period.

The PP has looked stagnant for 2 years now. Sometimes there are productive spurts because we have plenty of skill, and then it fizzles again because teams know how to disrupt it. The different look tonight not only confused the Pens, but it confused the Caps. There needs to be more motion, ppl need to skate more. Standing around and over-passing until Ovi or Oshie get open is the only hope and everyone knows it. Backy, Kuzy, Vrana, Carly, whomever else is on the PP, needs to shoot more. Need better board-battling - puck retrieving. The zone entries....for the love of all that is sacred, stop the f'n slingshot already. It gives the opposition time to set-up to defend it.

From watching Forsythe interviews, I get the impression he really doesn't give a crap anymore or is just out of ideas. I'm not here to go 10 rounds with you, which seems to be everyone else's experience, but if you truly believe Forsythe isn't the problem, then maybe you're Blaine Forsythe?

Its my experience that most assistant coaches are coaching what the head coach is directing. They are only occasionally autonomous. Reirden was the defenseman coach under Trotz but I doubt seriously that Reirden called the shots. Trotz did.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Sorry to say that, yeah, Forsythe's long rope is pretty well exhausted at this point. At this point you want to see him just try something entirely different, but he's stubbornly held to the 1-3-1 despite all the evidence that it's run its course.

It's getting to the point where I've been thinking irrational thoughts everytime Forsythe does his in-game interviews... since last year. Totally irrational.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I bet you'd never admit it if it was Holtby. Now I know two things: every time Jensen craps the bed, we can expect you to come out and say how terrible Kempny is. And every time Holtby does that you can point at games when Samsonov wasn't good. Smart.

Where did I mention either Kempny or Holtby? You think the backdoor pass behind Jensen was a good one? You think the first two Pens goals were good goals?

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Its my experience that most assistant coaches are coaching what the head coach is directing. They are only occasionally autonomous. Reirden was the defenseman coach under Trotz but I doubt seriously that Reirden called the shots. Trotz did.

He reports to TR, but since he's been with the Caps a lot longer than TR, I'm certain he has autonomy in his position, and receives more leeway. When TR took over, I doubt he said, 'Blaine, this powerplay been great, let me tell how it should be fixed'. Not a chance. TR has given Blaine a long leash, and now it should be almost non-existent. How TR deals with this problem will be telling. If Blaine worked for me, he and I would be discussing next steps of his career outside of the organization over a couple of drinks. The changes you saw last game are proof he is under pressure to do something. Maybe the players have tuned him out and that's why he appears to be so downtrodden during interviews?

I will venture a guess that even with the personnel warts this team has (Jensen, Liepzig, Holtby, or the SOTG (scapegoat of the game), this crappy powerplay has and will cost this team more points than any one of them or possibly all of them combined. For better or for worse...depending on who you ask on here. haha

Cheers!

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Anybody here go?
If so, curious

1) Lot of Pens fans there?
-How many, what %?

2) Was this the usual amount the Pens bring in general/for a weekend?

3) How did this compare to when other teams are in DC?
-Where do the Pens rank relative to the Rangers, Bruins, Flyers, Sabers, Leafs, Wings, Hawks?

4) How does the turnout of Pens fans in DC compare to when the Caps are at the Pens?

5) On TV, it looked mixed. I saw way more red, I did hear Pens cheers, but did not hear a 'Let's Go Pens' chant, or hear a sustained cheer after scoring.

Thanks.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Where did I mention either Kempny or Holtby? You think the backdoor pass behind Jensen was a good one? You think the first two Pens goals were good goals?
It's just your style whenever Jensen f***s up you bring up something about Kempny's game you didn't like even if it doesn't really worth that much attention to make it seem like Jensen isn't an obvious weakeast link on this defense. And same with Holtby. No matter how disastrous his game looks nobody would see you criticizing him or pointing out his mistakes. Now Samsonov got a chance in a big game and one of your first comments is they lost because first two goals were soft. I don't necessarily disagree but the narrative from you is quite obvious: you have your own favorites and whipping boys but at the same time you're one of the first to make sarcastic remarks when someone else acts the same. Funny.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He reports to TR, but since he's been with the Caps a lot longer than TR, I'm certain he has autonomy in his position, and receives more leeway. When TR took over, I doubt he said, 'Blaine, this powerplay been great, let me tell how it should be fixed'. Not a chance. TR has given Blaine a long leash, and now it should be almost non-existent. How TR deals with this problem will be telling. If Blaine worked for me, he and I would be discussing next steps of his career outside of the organization over a couple of drinks. The changes you saw last game are proof he is under pressure to do something. Maybe the players have tuned him out and that's why he appears to be so downtrodden during interviews?

I will venture a guess that even with the personnel warts this team has (Jensen, Liepzig, Holtby, or the SOTG (scapegoat of the game), this crappy powerplay has and will cost this team more points than any one of them or possibly all of them combined. For better or for worse...depending on who you ask on here. haha

Cheers!

I have been in both the position of primary assistant and dept head in a creative competitive industry. Commercial music radio. I both ran the music dept and ran the radio stations overall programming dept. This is their version of primary assistant and head coach. As music director I provided suggestions and did the work. No way did I choose whatever music I thought was right. As the program director I delegated but again there is no way that I allowed music and promotions and marketing people autonomy.

I find it hard to believe that Forsythe is doing whatever he wants with that power play.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I have been in both the position of primary assistant and dept head in a creative competitive industry. Commercial music radio. I both ran the music dept and ran the radio stations overall programming dept. This is their version of primary assistant and head coach. As music director I provided suggestions and did the work. No way did I choose whatever music I thought was right. As the program director I delegated but again there is no way that I allowed music and promotions and marketing people autonomy.

I find it hard to believe that Forsythe is doing whatever he wants with that power play.

:laugh:

Nor did I say such a thing. Re-read: 'The changes you saw last game are proof he is under pressure to do something.'. You can translate pressure as coming from above.

Also, don't need to cite your credentials. I've been consulting orgs large and small on personnel selection, incentive structuring, team dynamics & performance, org culture, and org change for over 20 years. Why do you people think I drink so much?! hahaha

Ok, no more dialogue. Back to visuals only.

Toodles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad