Series Talk: Pens vs. Habs - Episode 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The 34 man roster needs to be trimmed to 31 for going to Toronto. If Poulin is on that roster, he's there all pre-season, although I believe we can swap guys.

D'Orio is definitely one of the cuts. The remaining two, I don't know. POJ might be one. So you've got one or two forwards. I'd cut Varone and Miletec, or just Miletec, but we'll see.

they were supposed to have turned in their final 31 roster yesterday. Why hasn’t anything been announced?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The 34 man roster needs to be trimmed to 31 for going to Toronto. If Poulin is on that roster, he's there all pre-season, although I believe we can swap guys.

D'Orio is definitely one of the cuts. The remaining two, I don't know. POJ might be one. So you've got one or two forwards. I'd cut Varone and Miletec, or just Miletec, but we'll see.

I think I saw from Hasse that one of the cuts was POJ. I think the cuts will probably be Miletic, D'Orio and POJ.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
E-Rod would need to be qualified at $2M, as that's what he's making this year. I wouldn't sign him for that much yet. I think he could be worth that much if he shows it in the playoffs, but he hasn't shown it yet.

$2 million is almost nothing when the salary cap is $80 million, though. $2 million is 4th line center money.

Reactions: Dominance

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
JR said in a recent article that a lot of RFAs (talking about all teams) aren’t going to get qualified because of the cap...I’m sure he was thinking of ERod...he’s not going to get qualified at $2 mil and maybe they’ll try to work out a deal with him to return for less money depending on what other RFAs weren’t qualified on other teams...

The Pens roster next year looks good with exception of a top 6 RW...if Poulin plays LW as he has, we’ll need a better RW (and a right shooting one) than Simon...if someone doesn’t get qualified from another team, I hope JR is looking in that direction...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do you think E-Rod would replace Blueger at 4C? And would Blueger be getting that much this offseason?

No, but that's irrelevant to the fact that Rodrigues is better than a 4C caliber player, and yes.

Yeah that's it.

JR said in a recent article that a lot of RFAs (talking about all teams) aren’t going to get qualified because of the cap...I’m sure he was thinking of ERod...he’s not going to get qualified at $2 mil and maybe they’ll try to work out a deal with him to return for less money depending on what other RFAs weren’t qualified on other teams...

The Pens roster next year looks good with exception of a top 6 RW...if Poulin plays LW as he has, we’ll need a better RW (and a right shooting one) than Simon...if someone doesn’t get qualified from another team, I hope JR is looking in that direction...

I do think they can probably re-sign Rodrigues for about $1.5 million on a 1 or 2 year deal, but I don't think Rodrigues signing his QO would be bad for the Penguins. He's worth $2 million overall.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think I saw from Hasse that one of the cuts was POJ. I think the cuts will probably be Miletic, D'Orio and POJ.

I saw her speculating because she saw D'Orio and POJ carrying bags but nothing definite I thought?

$2 million is almost nothing when the salary cap is $80 million, though. $2 million is 4th line center money.

Tad undemanding there. 2m this season comes in as the 246th highest paid forward - that's 3rd line going strictly by hit = role. Obviously it's not that regimented, but 2m for a 4C is premium/lack of internal options territory, and neither of that is us. I'm interested in bringing him back but not at 2m.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tad undemanding there. 2m this season comes in as the 246th highest paid forward - that's 3rd line going strictly by hit = role. Obviously it's not that regimented, but 2m for a 4C is premium/lack of internal options territory, and neither of that is us. I'm interested in bringing him back but not at 2m.

But that includes ELCs and a lot of ELC players are way underpaid while on ELCs. I don't think it's as simple as doing that when there's a cap on what rookies can make on their rookie deals.

The 246th highest forward already corresponds to almost exactly the 8th best forward for a team, and once you include ELCs, I think that easily pushes Rodrigues down to the 9th or 10th best forward range. You can nitpick and say it's fringe 3rd line/4th line money, but it's really not substantial.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But that includes ELCs and a lot of ELC players are way underpaid while on ELCs. I don't think it's as simple as doing that when there's a cap on what rookies can make on their rookie deals.

The 246th highest forward already corresponds to almost exactly the 8th best forward for a team, and once you include ELCs, I think that easily pushes Rodrigues down to the 9th or 10th best forward range. You can nitpick and say it's fringe 3rd line/4th line money, but it's really not substantial.

You're right it's not quite that simple and that it's not substantial, but there's a little substance to it and I think every dollar matters right now. If Rodrigues is on 2m, do you prefer him to Sheary at 2.5m (if that can be swung)? Or Angello for under a million?

He said it particularly in reference to arbitration though; Rodrigues has no argument on arbitration (although I still don't like giving him his QO). The Pens RFAs whose arbitration case might prove annoying are Simon and McCann; maybe the goalies too.

Reactions: Andy99

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I saw her speculating because she saw D'Orio and POJ carrying bags but nothing definite I thought?

2 million dollars for 9 months of work is under whelming?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I hope there is a way to disable the crowd sound background noise during games in empty buildings / stadiums.

Was at grand mums yesterday flipping through broadcast and came across the ball games, short story shorter, we muted it or had it so low you could only hear the bat clang or catchers glove pop...

TURN those *****ng fake *** sounds off for **** sake.
I hate it. Just like not having my own camera option to view the game from, I'm basically a prisoner of the network. 2020 and I have no freedom to choose what camera angle to view a sports event that has 20+ camera angles going.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
wow. did not expect that.
Maybe ATnT Pitt for an exhibition game, but NBCSN covering an exhibition game?
hmmh. cool.

I don't know if that's more telling that NBCSN is that desperate or if they're expecting hockey fans being so starved that they'll watch a glorified scrimmage just because there hasn't been anything closer to a real game on this continent in months. They may be right, just by NHL standards. Getting low-end regular season ratings would have to represent a major win for them right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't know if that's more telling that NBCSN is that desperate or if they're expecting hockey fans being so starved that they'll watch a scrimmage just because there hasn't been anything closer to a real game on this continent in months. They may be right, just by NHL standards. Getting low-end regular season ratings would have to represent a major win for them right now.

Well... that and pit - philly hockey games are must watch hockey. Pre-season or not.
For me at least =]
I'll be watching.

Reactions: Factorial

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I do think they can probably re-sign Rodrigues for about $1.5 million on a 1 or 2 year deal, but I don't think Rodrigues signing his QO would be bad for the Penguins. He's worth $2 million overall.

I haven't seen anything from Rodrigues yet to make me think he'd be worth 2 mil to this team.

Small sample size, but he seems like exactly the type of player cap-strapped teams should be replacing with ELC players like AJ and Lafferty.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Poulin, eh?

Well... fun while it lasted, I suppose.

Varone sticking because of his position (center)? Best I can figure. That and his vet/journeyman status... of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad