Series Talk: Pens vs. Habs - Episode 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Poulin, eh?

Well... fun while it lasted, I suppose.

Varone sticking because of his position (center)? Best I can figure. That and his vet/journeyman status... of course.

I think it's mostly that plus his NHL experience. Varone has like 100 games of NHL experience, including 47 last season. He's another Kevin Porter type of player, safe veteran with some NHL experience and good AHL numbers. It's not particularly surprising they included him on the post-season roster.

I'm more surprised that they included POJ over Poulin, but I guess that having a 10th D is more important than an 18th forward.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Poulin, eh?

Well... fun while it lasted, I suppose.

Varone sticking because of his position (center)? Best I can figure. That and his vet/journeyman status... of course.

Probably. Apparently when Rutherford talked about Varone as a potential guy for this sort of roster, he specifically noted the NHL experience.

I kinda get it but there's not a lot about his play or past NHL record that says I'd prefer him as break glass to Poulin, unless we manage to break 3 centres I guess. And I guess if we break 3 wings then Poulin's number doesn't get called anyway...

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It makes things less exciting but ultimately I can't help but mostly agree with the cut.

If Poulin had actually potted a few and given them little choice, I mean... maybe then I'd be a little miffed. But as is it's just your SOP, really.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Even though he was solid - and better than Varone - I don't think he seperated himself from our 13/14/15 options.

Fuel for camp next year. ;)

Additional motivation doesn't hurt for sure. I'd have liked him to get the development opportunity - and arguably given the likely future importance, maybe the 14/15/16 options should have had to separate themselves from him - but I guess it's not a huge deal. And if he was competing with Angello and AJ, they both did well.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It makes things less exciting but ultimately I can't help but mostly agree with the cut.

If Poulin had actually potted a few and given them little choice, I mean... maybe then I'd be a little miffed. But as is it's just your SOP, really.

Live look in @Scandale du Jour as he sees this news . . .

tenor.gif

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Live look in @Scandale du Jour as he sees this news . . .

tenor.gif

:laugh:

I definitely think Poulin looks to have all the tools to be one of the most promising young forwards we've seen in a while. But yeah... it's a strong roster up front, he didn't bang on the door quite hard enough (especially with strong showings from a lot of his assumed competition) and there is no sense in forcing something that isn't quite there and possibly doing more harm than good in the process.

Really sucks about the transfer agreement, though. I think he would have been best served in the AHL for at least part of next season in a large role (assuming it was earned which... would be a bit surprising if it weren't).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I definitely think Poulin looks to have all the tools to be one of the most promising young forwards we've seen in a while. But yeah... it's a strong roster up front, he didn't bang on the door quite hard enough (especially with strong showings from a lot of his assumed competition) and there is no sense in forcing something that isn't quite there and possibly doing more harm than good in the process.

Really sucks about the transfer agreement, though. I think he would have been best served in the AHL for at least part of next season in a large role (assuming it was earned which... would be a bit surprising if it weren't).

Yeah, but I think he'll go into camp with a legit chance to earn a spot.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yeah, but for the CHL to stay afloat as a feeder league, they have to be able to retain these guys for awhile if there's some doubt about whether they're 100% ready to be NHL contributors. In the end it's a workable system for everybody.

As much as Poulin looks like he could be able to perform on our 3rd line next year, if he doesn't definitively show that he's one of our 9 best forwards next season, I'm content with him gaining more offensive confidence in the Q. If we're intent on keeping him, his greatest value will likely be taking on a scoring role from someone we lose in the Seattle draft.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, but I think he'll go into camp with a legit chance to earn a spot.

Me, too. Just not sure how much that is weighted by that transfer agreement.

Not enough to make a significant difference, I'd wager. Like I said... I'm a fan. He should be fine, regardless.

Yeah, but for the CHL to stay afloat as a feeder league, they have to be able to retain these guys for awhile if there's some doubt about whether they're 100% ready to be NHL contributors. In the end it's a workable system for everybody.

As much as Poulin looks like he could be able to perform on our 3rd line next year, if he doesn't definitively show that he's one of our 9 best forwards next season, I'm content with him gaining more offensive confidence in the Q. If we're intent on keeping him, his greatest value will likely be taking on a scoring role from someone we lose in the Seattle draft.

I think he seems a little wasted in the Q, honestly. But I see your overall point.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Me, too. Just not sure how much that is weighted by that transfer agreement.

Not enough to make a significant difference, I'd wager. Like I said... I'm a fan. He should be fine, regardless.

I think he seems a little wasted in the Q, honestly. But I see your overall point.

He'll have to prove himself. If it's a close call, I assume he's going back to the Q. If he forces their hands, then he'll stay, at least for the 10 games.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He'll have to prove himself. If it's a close call, I assume he's going back to the Q. If he forces their hands, then he'll stay, at least for the 10 games.

Yeah, that seems right.

Like I said... ideally I think it best for him to be like... one of THE guys in WB/S. But there is something to be said for playing and learning on the job in the NHL, regardless of where you might be playing in the lineup (my fear would possibly be him not getting in the lineup ENOUGH or for pointless minutes). But seeing as how I think he needs to polish his offensive toolbox a bit... no place better than the AHL at this stage for him, IMO. Then when he shows he can translate his ability over to the next level though the course of much of the AHL season, the team does something at the deadline and gives him his shot, then.

But that's all impossible so it isn't even worth thinking about. Realistically your plan is best, if we are to assume he continues to develop and impress.

Reactions: KIRK

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
TBH, Poulin kinda has to make the team next year.

He'd waste his time in the Q. He was near 2PPG this year. Playing in the WJC would be nice... but again, if he is doing well in the NHL, no way we would send him. And if he is struggling and you send him then send him down to Sherbrooke... he would waste his time.

Starting in the AHL and earning his way up would be the best scenario... but dumb ass rules prevent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad