Series Talk: Pens vs. Habs - Episode 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I saw someone had posted this article in the other thread: Jim Rutherford optimistic about Sidney Crosby's health, outlook

Rutherford claims "As of today, we will (have a full complement of healthy players)". Is that an oversight or does it imply that Crosby is fine? I was concerned it could be related to his issue earlier in the season, but I also heard he took a puck to the midsection which would likely be no big deal.

It would be amazing to enter the playoffs with a healthy squad, feels like a rare occurrence.

Also I sure hope Jarry starts, not a lot of room for error in a 5 game series, even against Montreal.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I know its basically a new season and the standings from 3 months ago don't matter anymore, but it would be a momumental dissappointment if the Pens lose to Montreal. This has got to be one of the highest chances of a sweep in recent memory.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Screen-Shot-2020-07-20-at-7.13.28-PM.png

From looking at the screenshot that @KIRK posted, it looks like Montreal has some good lines analytically.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What's with the click bait tweet?

"What was Max Domi thinking?" in the tweet.

"Montreal’s Domi explains why he chose to play" when you bring up Molinari's article.

Actually totalllllly agree. That was click bait. :laugh: I think I equally click just to see Max's perspective. I did not like that.

Reactions: BHD

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Empty stadiums are so strange it’s like watching sports during an apocalypse. I want to get excited for this but after watching those scrimmages it’s going to be really tough. The crowds feel is such a huge part of the presentation and atmosphere.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Actually totalllllly agree. That was click bait. :laugh: I think I equally click just to see Max's perspective. I did not like that.
"My Dad said I have to lose to the Penguins, he owes Mario a lot of money from really bad golf bets."
Not surprised. I believe Bergeron played with a punctured lung during the SCF against the Hawks. I was skeptical of the players' rational heading into this pandemic.
I mean, the fact that there's still positive cases from players, shows these f***ing twits don't quite understand rationale thought.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Screen-Shot-2020-07-20-at-7.13.28-PM.png

From looking at the screenshot that @KIRK posted, it looks like Montreal has some good lines analytically.
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher was a fantastic line for them this season. I suspect that the other Montreal lines are some combination of two of them.
Also, I don't know if it's been talked about here, but Moneypuck predicts us to lose the series, and Montreal to win.

Reactions: Andy99

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just saw the channels for the first few days of hockeys return.

Gotta say this about it: blehhhhhhhhhh what a crappy broadcast.

Nobody cares about Western Conference hockey and it just goes to show with the networks coverage of the games. EC gets all the good coverage.

Also, why the **** does NBC have 2 games on in the first 3 days when they are admittedly hurting for viewers with the loss of sports.

Pens get primo time slot, primo network coverage.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Trade Simon to them for their 1st round pick, which will hopefully be the lottery winner. Then the Habs can be the analytic darling team next season.

And ZAR...can you imagine how much closer to the Selke he’d be if he played for MTL?...

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Murray and the Pens PP are the keys to the series for me. Deserved or not, Murray will likely be the guy in Game 1. I can imagine a scenario where he is just so-so in game 1, and they go back to him in game 2 and he is flat out bad. The Habs don't score much, but they get a ton of rubber on net, and Murray is prone to giving up softies, so a high shot volume is trouble.

As for the PP, there are typically less PPs in the playoffs, so the advantage the Pens have on special teams is not quite as pronounced as the stats would suggest. We also know that the Pens can be a pass happy group and turn what normally should be a good PP into an awful one. PP % of < 10% in last years playoffs against the Isles was a huge part of why we got stomped. 1-2 more PP goals would have gone a long way. When an opponent knows your PP is ineffective, they don't mind clutching and grabbing a bit more aggressively as ES.

Reactions: BHD and Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad