Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Flyers | win | Won it for Letang, Geno took dumb penalties in honor of Letang

Letang

• Overrated

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Underrated

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Rated properly

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Especially when only one of his was actually his fault and not just a loose stick getting hit up into a flyer (blahblah you need to always have control of your stick blahblah)
Are you suggesting that hairpiece is being uncharitable in his evaluation of FavouritePlayer/PPG after this 2points, +1 outing?

That seems unlikely.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
We saw that the Flyers PP on the road which is by far the worst in the league and decided to increase our PK percentage by taking as many dumb penalties as possible. Attaboy Geno!

Seriously, can't this team win without trying to give its fans a heart attack for once? Seeing Carter on the ice with less than two minutes to go really wasn't good for my health. Yet another third period where the Pens are holding on for dear life, this time it worked thanks to the stupendously bad Flyers PP and the knob on DeSmith's stick but no team is going anywhere if they have to ride their luck for each and every win because they can't hold leads, any leads.

We finally some more ingenuity on the PP but again, the Flyers special teams are so bad that it's hard to take this as all that positive. Rakell and Rust coming up big was much needed.

Last edited:

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Hey, we held a lead in the third period again. Hopefully, it's the start of a trend.
Now we just need to re-learn how to hold a tie in the third period, at least for the last few games of the regular season.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Goals in third periods:
Florida - 91 goals for, 100 goals against
Pittsburgh - 82 goals for, 94 goals against
Islanders - 85 goals for, 67 goals against

Quite the difference. Good thing the Islanders are so bad in first periods and in shootouts.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
-------- We gave a million point blank scoring chances. Against a playoff team, they would score 4-5. I'm glad we can barely hold on a lead against an absolute shit team. Against any playoff teams, we lose tonight.

I was informed that it's our goalies who are the problem

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Amongst the 130 defensemen that have played 1200+ minutes at all strengths this year. Petry is 41st in points per 60. 43rd out of 152 at 5v5.

He and John Marino are both even (50%) in terms of GF% at 5v5. He's 33rd out of 152 in terms of xGF% at 5v5.

In terms of point production he's 63rd in the league while playing only 56 games.

I really don't understand what people were expecting from him.

Seems like the same crowd that used to bury Letang.

The PP looked pretty good early in the year when Petry was there vs Letang.
I don't get it. Well I do (Sully)

It doesn’t score big goals when it matters. Blanket yourself in whatever stat that makes you feel warm.

This place doesn’t understand winning. I feel like the analysis here has been based solely on the play of the stars and now they’re aging out and people are having a hard time understanding.

Does your favorite player (Sid) have any PP goals in 2023?

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
The PP looked pretty good early in the year when Petry was there vs Letang.
I don't get it. Well I do (Sully)

Does your favorite player (Sid) have any PP goals in 2023?

He needs to do better. But then again Sid's role on the PP is to deflect and get the rebounds. The shots aren't getting to the net from the point or dot. Who's role is that?

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
The way I see it is we have to secure 3 of 4 points against the Devils/Wild. Anything less puts us out of controlling our path to a playoff spot.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
My take...
- glad we got 2 points!
- glad we had some puck luck (see Rackell's first goal). So tired of never seeing bounces go our way.
- glad that Rust is scoring. Really hope this gets him out of his funk, but he needs to skate a bit harder. I see that extra stride/push missing that was there consistently last year.
- glad to see the Islanders lost. I just feel this is going to go down to the last game of the season honestly.
- sad to see that we go into panic mode in the 3rd period. Maybe we need to pretend it's a 4 period game or something.
- sad to see that this team doesn't look capable of doing anything in the playoffs. I remember limping into the playoffs in 2018. You knew we weren't going to go far. Hopefully we get in with some sort of a win streak where we actually clamp it down in the 3rd.
- Granlund would be a great $2M depth player at this point.
He needs to do better. But then again Sid's role on the PP is to deflect and get the rebounds. The shots aren't getting to the net from the point or dot. Who's role is that?
I preferred it when Sid and Geno were setting each other up for one-timers. I love Letang, but he sucks at running the PP.

I'd put Geno on top, but he sucks at getting back. I would consider putting Sid on top, Malkin on the 1/2 wall for the one timer, Rakell/Guentzel down low. Dunno....Letang out left.

So did Geno get the game or was it 10?

And if he did get 10 why did Sully think it was a game misconduct?

What a weird game.
I almost felt like Sully just felt it was best Malkin take a breather, and "assumed" it was a game misconduct. The announcers seemed confused too. Tells you how odd the reffing was (not making excuses for Geno).

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Malkin got called for three straight high sticks. Then he got high sticked and it didn't get called so he was barking on the bench.
The first two were actually hooks. The first one was blatant. The second I thought was iffy but I'm having trouble remembering. They didn't show the high-stick in the arena on the third call, but the refs IMMEDIATELY called a phantom Interference as soon as Philly hit the PP, so I'm thinking it was a bad call.

They missed a blatant high-stick to Geno in the face. Geno was barking at the ref from the bench and got an Unsportsmanlike. On his way to the box he continued giving it to the refs and so did the fans. Ref's feelings got hurt so he got a 10 minute misconduct and a 10 minute game misconduct to be sent to the lockers.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Now I'm not all that convinced NYI will make the post season. Florida may overtake Pitt but NYI may drop off the far side of the world.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hey, we held a lead in the third period again. Hopefully, it's the start of a trend.
Now we just need to re-learn how to hold a tie in the third period, at least for the last few games of the regular season.
Did they though? They gave up 2 goals and only scored on an EN.

They only held onto the lead because it was a 3 goal lead go begin with.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The first two were actually hooks. The first one was blatant. The second I thought was iffy but I'm having trouble remembering. They didn't show the high-stick in the arena on the third call, but the refs IMMEDIATELY called a phantom Interference as soon as Philly hit the PP, so I'm thinking it was a bad call.

They missed a blatant high-stick to Geno in the face. Geno was barking at the ref from the bench and got an Unsportsmanlike. On his way to the box he continued giving it to the refs and so did the fans. Ref's feelings got hurt so he got a 10 minute misconduct and a 10 minute game misconduct to be sent to the lockers.

Eh I think that was a legit trip/interference by Geno. It prevented the other player from a clear path to retrieve the puck.

Geno earned all his penalties except for the unsportsmanlike and misconduct.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
2 of Desmith's last 3 starts were solid iirc but he did have giving up 6 to the Wings in the middle of the 2 good starts.

Yeah, you have to give Jarry the playoff net. They both are having rough seasons but Jarry's upside potential is dramatically higher.

And at least Jarry gets beat when he lets one in instead of going on the slip-n-slide like Desmith does when he is going bad.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
2 of Desmith's last 3 starts were solid iirc but he did have giving up 6 to the Wings in the middle of the 2 good starts.

Yeah, you have to give Jarry the playoff net. They both are having rough seasons but Jarry's upside potential is dramatically higher.

And at least Jarry gets beat when he lets one in instead of going on the slip-n-slide like Desmith does when he is going bad.
If anyone actually wants to start CDS over Jarry (assuming both are available) then they should discontinue watching hockey.

Too harsh? Sorry they can continue watching but maybe just some beer league games...something easier to handle.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I preferred it when Sid and Geno were setting each other up for one-timers. I love Letang, but he sucks at running the PP.

I'd put Geno on top, but he sucks at getting back. I would consider putting Sid on top, Malkin on the 1/2 wall for the one timer, Rakell/Guentzel down low. Dunno....Letang out left.

The correct alignment is for Geno and Sid to switch places. There's a reason Sid doesn't have a PP goal in the past bazillion games: because his shot isn't a threat to the goalie and he's the closest to the net. Sid's shot power has tailed off and everyone in the league knows it.

You can put in any tape from past years and see they run the exact same alignment as they do now. You're telling me that the big 3 plus Jake's skill sets haven't changed where they should be in the exact same spots as 8 years ago? It's lazy coaching (or lack thereof)

Sid and Geno should switch spots. Petry out for Letang.

Sid can QB it from that right point and choose to either let Malkin work low 1:1 or Sid can slide it to Petry for a 1 time long range blast. Hell at this point, I'd be open to them running the "back door Whitney" play

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
CDS needs the assurance that he is only a secondary keeper at professional level. Seems when he comes in with one job he is better than having the full responsibility of carrying the majority of the season.... pressure gets to people, goalies more so.
Has he ever sought to be a starting NHL keeper? I mean did he push to go to market on contract years? Only bit I know about him is he lost his passport... so I don't follow him, but he seems content.
imo.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
CDS sucks. The problem is that between injury issues and inconsistency, Jarry's also likely to suck but Jarry's got the higher upside, so for better or worse, you gotta go with him if he's not injured. Would be cool to see the FO look at other options this summer, but who knows what's available. Saros is the guy, but he's gonna cost a shitload if Nashville even wants to move him.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
CDS sucks. The problem is that between injury issues and inconsistency, Jarry's also likely to suck but Jarry's got the higher upside, so for better or worse, you gotta go with him if he's not injured. Would be cool to see the FO look at other options this summer, but who knows what's available. Saros is the guy, but he's gonna cost a shitload if Nashville even wants to move him.
It is exactly this. It's Russian roulette no matter who you start but Jarry has higher upside. We're holding onto our butts no matter who is in net. This is what happens when you fail to address the goaltending situation for multiple years straight despite all the warning signs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I’ll never get the idea that Desmith sucks. He is a standard sub 2 million back up.

People want to give Andersen a contract next year and he has a worse SV% than Desmith in the most protective defensive system in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille