Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Flyers | win | Won it for Letang, Geno took dumb penalties in honor of Letang

Letang

• Overrated

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Underrated

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Rated properly

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It is exactly this. It's Russian roulette no matter who you start but Jarry has higher upside. We're holding onto our butts no matter who is in net. This is what happens when you fail to address the goaltending situation for multiple years straight despite all the warning signs.
Just wait until Jarry gets his first big boy contract from Hextall's successor this summer. :laugh:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I’ll never get the idea that Desmith sucks. He is a standard sub 2 million back up.

People want to give Andersen a contract next year and he has a worse SV% than Desmith in the most protective defensive system in the league.

CDS is fine in a minimized role and appropriately cheap as that role. You need to have a reliable solid '1A' to carry a backup like him. So you either need to find a more trustworthy 1 and can keep CDS or you need to find a true platoon type goalie rotation. The pairing as it exsts today is not feasible.

CDS is fine as a 2. He is not 1b.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
CDS is fine in a minimized role and appropriately cheap as that role. You need to have a reliable solid '1A' to carry a backup like him. So you either need to find a more trustworthy 1 and can keep CDS or you need to find a true platoon type goalie rotation. The pairing as it exsts today is not feasible.

CDS is fine as a 2. He is not 1b.

Agreed.

But the issue this year has not been Desmith. It's been Jarry.

Reactions: vikingGoalie

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
If Desmith's your starter you're going to need at least 3 goals because he's going to let in at least one bad goal a game.

Solid backup who's improved over time.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

reino

Jul 20, 2019
If Desmith's your starter you're going to need at least 3 goals because he's going to let in at least one bad goal a game.

Solid backup who's improved over time.
Very hard to be goalie when you have forwards like Malkin who can't play defense to safe his life.

• Haha
Reactions: BigEezyE22

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
thank you DeSmith. even with just an average performance from our goalies we lose this one.
Granted the flyers play their hardest games against the pens but it's pretty disconcerting that we had to hold on for dear life for a while there in the 3rd to not lose to a lottery team (again).

totally agreed on the general sentiment, cds is fine as our backup if we have a true #1. if Jarry is going (god I hope so) and we keep CDS we have to get a solid goalie as our number one. Hind sight being what it is imagine if we had hung on to Gustavsson instead of getting brassard.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Very hard to be goalie when you have forwards like Malkin who can't play defense to safe his life.

Very hard to be on a message board reading posts that can't spell "Save".

But yea here is Geno not playing defense

If you'd like some other examples of him not playing defense, I've got plenty of evidence if you'd like to see it. But you seem super smart and can use the internets, I'm sure

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
His skating and his shot. He has five goals despite minimal power play time and isolated 5-on-5 minutes.
This isn't directed at POJ or a shot at him, but just a commentary on how little we usually get from out defense. But it's funny that we consider 5 goals from a defenseman to be somewhat impressive. Just highlights how many 1-2 goal per year muffin shots we always seem to ice.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This isn't directed at POJ or a shot at him, but just a commentary on how little we usually get from out defense. But it's funny that we consider 5 goals from a defenseman to be somewhat impressive. Just highlights how many 1-2 goal per year muffin shots we always seem to ice.

I mean. That is a lot. Only 75 defensemen in the league have more.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I mean, that doesn't change the fact that POJ being in the 5 goal realm with little powerplay time is not impressive.
POJ has a nice offensive knack and he's very speedy. I hope we continue along with him...

Though if I were to guess I'd say Ruh hangs out longer here

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, that doesn't change the fact that POJ being in the 5 goal realm with little powerplay time is not impressive.
I think you're focusing on POJ and ignoring me literally saying "this isn't about POJ" but more so about our perception of what constitutes impressive numbers from a defenseman because we're so used to the Dumoulins and Petterssons of the world scoring 1 goal or less per year.

You're literally doing the thing I added the disclaimer to avoid. Which is focusing on the individual player and not the overall point about 5 goals from a defenseman not being all that impressive, yet us thinking it is because it's outside the norm of any defenseman we have other than Letang.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think you're focusing on POJ and ignoring me literally saying "this isn't about POJ" but more so about our perception of what constitutes impressive numbers from a defenseman because we're so used to the Dumoulins and Petterssons of the world scoring 1 goal or less per year.

You're literally doing the thing I added the disclaimer to avoid. Which is focusing on the individual player and not the overall point about 5 goals from a defenseman not being all that impressive, yet us thinking it is because it's outside the norm of any defenseman we have other than Letang.

You said "But it's funny that we consider 5 goals from a defenseman to be somewhat impressive.".

Doing that is impressive.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

While we aren't talking about it in this thread, it blows my mind that Sully institutes this type of offensive zone presence (working off the cycle from low to high to get a point shot that hopefully gets tipped or a scramble). We have dmen who can't seem to get a damn dangerous point shot even through the mess in front. Another mismatch of personnel/scheme

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
While we aren't talking about it in this thread, it blows my mind that Sully institutes this type of offensive zone presence (working off the cycle from low to high to get a point shot that hopefully gets tipped or a scramble). We have dmen who can't seem to get a damn dangerous point shot even through the mess in front. Another mismatch of personnel/scheme

And Sullivan would be scratching POJ for Kulikov if we had a healthy roster.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Yeah. 94 defensemen have 5 or more goals this year. Petry, POJ and Letang are the Penguins on the list.

Of those 94, only three average less ice time per game than POJ.

If 94 defensemen have five goals, that's about 3 per team. So the Penguins are pretty much average, there. Could they get more from the defense? Sure. But that might have more to do with the other defensemen and not Letang, Petry and POJ.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
You guys are making this far more difficult than it is by refusing to look up stats before typing.

So Joseph is 47th out of the 148 D-men who played 60+ games this year at 5v5 goals P/60.
In terms of the power play, he's 23rd out of 148. Doesn't really mean much, since he only averages 55 seconds of PP time per game.

But yeah, there you have it. If you're looking for more goals from the defense then it has to be done collectively, since they're hard to come by.

We're 27th in the league at goals from D-men. So it's definitely a problem. That being said, Joseph is not the problem there. Should be looking at Petts, Dumo and Chad, who have 3 goals in 190 games collectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad