Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Ducks | Win | Flightless Ducks vs Flying Ducks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Imagine how bad you have to be, or how much of a moron the coach has to be (I think in this case it is a 2 for 1, gents), to consider a game in which you get outshot 43-26 and HD outchanced 23-10 to be your best away game of the year.

It was ridiculous that we didn't win by a lopsided score.
BULLSHIT

It wasn't that bad

*checks notes*

45-29

Holy hell, you're pretty much right

What a bunch of turds lol

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Is POJ odd man out when D gets healthy? Smith-Dumoulin is pretty good 3rd pairing

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Okay, which of Sully's defenders figured out pixie's password and logged in to post this under his account? Fess up.

Lol. I’m just being honest. This team gives a shit when they play good teams. Adding Petry and Letang will help a ton.

I dunno. Coaching sucks, but the roster is one or two pieces away from being fine.

Is POJ odd man out when D gets healthy? Smith-Dumoulin is pretty good 3rd pairing

Yeah the only positive of the last few weeks has been this pairing and Zucker and Malkin.

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
This team would be so much fun to watch if they played in the AHL!

Malkin and Zucker (and maybe Rakell) seem to be the only players on the team who can finish every now and then. We got very lucky in OT and I was happy to see Guentzel not hitting the D-mans stick trying to force a pass to Sid.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
As predicted caps have tied the isles
Eh. Don’t think we have to worry about what other teams do. This team will be done
I thought Zegras was gonna bury that. We won because of his mistake.

Although we got the 2 points, this was another absolutely unacceptable outcome.

Honestly, when is enough is enough?

Guys, Sully ain’t goin’ anywhere. They could end the season with 56 points and he’d still be the head coach.

This is maybe the least likeable Pens squad since 2010.
What about that team didn’t you like? I don’t recall them being bad. Actually thought they were a solid team and had a chance to repeat.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Jake was awful for most of the game, then somehow became the hero. Sid and Rust were also terrible for the most part then helped us win in the end. Hockey can be funny that way. We tried so hard to lose but the Ducks showed us who the real masters of tanking are.
Why did we play Sid and Geno with 30 seconds left in a 4 on 4 and a Ducks PP coming up? Talk about needless risks in a one goal game. Not that deployment excuses Sid's controller disconnected blunder that led to the tying goal, mind you.
L2 was our best line by a mile, yet somehow almost lost us the game because of a rare defensive blunder. And now Sully will think GCRust is the answer, talk about a Pyrrhic victory. The PP looked good and Smith, lo and behold, can pass the puck properly for one-timers. But again, it's so much harder to score when you net front presence is tiny.
This team is going nowhere until they realize you can (and should) defend in the neutral zone too and giving the opposition D all the time in the world to pick a corner or make a pass is not the way to defend at this level. Or any level, really.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Eh. Don’t think we have to worry about what other teams do. This team will be done

Guys, Sully ain’t goin’ anywhere. They could end the season with 56 points and he’d still be the head coach.

What about that team didn’t you like? I don’t recall them being bad. Actually thought they were a solid team and had a chance to repeat.
Oh I meant from the 2010-2011 squad, not the defending cup champs. But mostly I find this team plays a boring, vanilla game, no physicality, no drive, no sense of team solidarity or excitement. Most of the other teams I’ve at least wanted to stay up and watch the game. This one, I’m losing interest even trying to get through the game without fast forwarding the day after and that’s not a good sign.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I only got to watch the highlights. And from that video the 3rd and 4th lines looked like they were decent. Then again, the highlights only post highlights.

In the GDT I posted: "Gruden, if he plays, will he get more than 7 minutes of ice?"

The answer is "yes". He got 7:02.

And this ice time allotment is really irking me. Again, the 3rd and 4th lines need more minutes. Our stars are old.

Regarding POJ, yeah, sit him for a little while when the team gets a bit healthier.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This team is going nowhere until they realize you can (and should) defend in the neutral zone too and giving the opposition D all the time in the world to pick a corner or make a pass is not the way to defend at this level. Or any level, really.
Yeah, this ties into my previous post-- even when this team wins, they look bad. And not like the Gen X years when you knew they didn't have any talent at all, but in the frustrating Mike Johnston years way where they just seem like they do not care. It's hard to watch a team where one line plays well, the "top" line plays like shit all game, and the bottom 6 is so inconsequential that they barely see the ice. Add into that a decimated blueline that lacks any sort of physical presence when Petry and Rutta are out, and there's just not a lot there to watch and like. And it's not like this team can't turn it on, on occasion, but the fact of the matter is they haven't really been heating up since the beginning of the season and that's a huge red flag to me.

For those of you who like this team, what is the thing that you come away with after the game and say "man, I'm glad I saw that game!"? I'm honestly curious what people are finding to root for on this club besides the sweater (and arguably Sid/Geno hitting milestones, and Rakell) at this point.

Last but not least, it's not about winning for me. I could deal with a long losing streak by a team full of young hopefuls trying their damnedest and living the dream (but failing to win). I can deal with a team dropping games from injury. Just give me some exciting play and effort!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
View attachment 636610
Everyone blaming Ruh on this goal...
At least he's eliminating the backdoor in case Malkin would fail to cover it. Serving a purpose.

Joseph should have had Zegras.
POJ blew a tire. Fair or unfair, the goal is on him

I only got to watch the highlights. And from that video the 3rd and 4th lines looked like they were decent. Then again, the highlights only post highlights.

In the GDT I posted: "Gruden, if he plays, will he get more than 7 minutes of ice?"

The answer is "yes". He got 7:02.

And this ice time allotment is really irking me. Again, the 3rd and 4th lines need more minutes. Our stars are old.

Regarding POJ, yeah, sit him for a little while when the team gets a bit healthier.
L2-L4 actually played quite well. GCR was vomit inducing 5-on-5.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Pathetic.

But ladies and gentlemen, this is your Sullivan hockey, where we lose to good teams and barely squeak past terrible teams.

You spelled Mike Tomlin wrong

View attachment 636610
At least he's eliminating the backdoor in case Malkin would fail to cover it. Serving a purpose.

Great clip. Pause it at the :07 mark and tell me what you see: 3 Penguins literally skate past the only passing window he has left.

It's worse than pee wee level hockey

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
f08

The day Ruh is off this team cant come soon enough. I dont even want him around as a 7th defenseman at this point. Not sure we deserved this win. Sid and Jake showed up when it counted.

80hy.gif

These idiots can barely beat a team that is openly tanking for Bedard. They have no business being in playoffs. Absolute pathetic spineless losers, starting from their three "superstars".

Sid was unbelievably bad that game.

Malkin was quite good.

I got nothing else

Not only that game.

He is clearly coasting half of the games these days.

Penguins should've started the rebuild a few years ago. By now they would've already had a few good prospects/young players, and the team would've had future. This pathetic team doesn't.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
View attachment 636610

Ehhh they both were bad. POJ was a disaster but if Ruh doesnt flop to the ice and plays the man, Not everyone comes all the way back.

Also Ruh didnt cover the back door. Lots of NHL players can make that saucer pass over him.

Reactions: Gurglesons

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Jake was awful for most of the game, then somehow became the hero. Sid and Rust were also terrible for the most part then helped us win in the end. Hockey can be funny that way. We tried so hard to lose but the Ducks showed us who the real masters of tanking are.
Why did we play Sid and Geno with 30 seconds left in a 4 on 4 and a Ducks PP coming up? Talk about needless risks in a one goal game. Not that deployment excuses Sid's controller disconnected blunder that led to the tying goal, mind you.
L2 was our best line by a mile, yet somehow almost lost us the game because of a rare defensive blunder. And now Sully will think GCRust is the answer, talk about a Pyrrhic victory. The PP looked good and Smith, lo and behold, can pass the puck properly for one-timers. But again, it's so much harder to score when you net front presence is tiny.
Thank you. I though I was the only one who had an issue with this - I commented to my buddy at the game that while I like playing 71 and 87 out there together at 4x4, going into a PK with them wouldn't end well and about 10 seconds later...what an odd time for Sullivan to do that when he almost never does.

Reactions: Andy99

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
These idiots can barely beat a team that is openly tanking for Bedard. They have no business being in playoffs. Absolute pathetic spineless losers, starting from their three "superstars".

Not only that game.

He is clearly coasting half of the games these days.

Penguins should've started the rebuild a few years ago. By now they would've already had a few good prospects/young players, and the team would've had future. This pathetic team doesn't.
Problem is, he's won everything he needs to win or cares to win. Getting older, like everyone else, realizes he has his health and family to take care of. So with the aging and every aspect of his (lucrative) pro sports career dwindling down day-by-day ... he's not going to kill himself out there like he was 18 years old skating through an entire defense... guy worked his hinder off for 20 some years to get where he is.
He just won't have it every single night... mentally and/or physically.

My guess is this is his last contract. He isn't going out old and washed up.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Please make some trades so I can care more. I don't like this roster.
Just listened to DK’s morning podcast where he actually said Hextall was “not equipped” to make any trades to help the bottom six lol…gives kudos to Sullivan for finally seeing Carter is no longer a center and also says they need more spark plugs in the bottom six but there’s only so much they can do and Hextall needs to get on his horse by the all star break…lol…he really should be talking about how our D can’t help generate offense and why our system doesn’t allow us to defend in the NZ and try to generate turnovers there to help our players produce offense lol…

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Oh I meant from the 2010-2011 squad, not the defending cup champs. But mostly I find this team plays a boring, vanilla game, no physicality, no drive, no sense of team solidarity or excitement. Most of the other teams I’ve at least wanted to stay up and watch the game. This one, I’m losing interest even trying to get through the game without fast forwarding the day after and that’s not a good sign.
that would mostly come from the kids that we don't have.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
that would mostly come from the kids that we don't have.
I know that doesn't help it, but at the same time, I find it hard to believe we can't put together lines that can play that kind of game with what our roster has, in theory, and what we have on the farm.

The lack of compete isn't really a roster problem or a strictly personnel issue. It's a mental one or a locker room thing. We've got tons of players who should, in theory, bring that. But they don't or they did and no longer seem to for whatever reason.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad