Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. CBJ: Muz deserved better, but still a couple positives to take away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
With the way this season has continued, I am worried we don't.

The optimistic part of me says if we dont, we can land a really good prospect in this upcoming draft. And we will be drafting higher than usual in all rounds. A potential building block(s) to the post Crosby Geno era with the 1st rounder.

There is that. But we won't go that far yet;)

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
I could understand breaking up McCann-Crosby-Guentzel as a "we know they clicked that one time, but we need to spark the rest of the top 9" move. But we aren't in a place where we can afford that luxury. When thats the only thing working at even strength, Sullivan has to keep them together.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I just mean from a perspective of a fun series.

Tampa fans are super stoked on the idea too lolol. They want nothing to do with us.

I don't see both the Isles and Canes having better records than us from here on out. Letang would need to go on the shelf for awhile and another key injury or two.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Our forward depth is basically as good as every team’s but Tampa’s who will be in cap hill next year with Point’s raise.

Also, I don’t think it is possible we miss. We’d have to go on a serious downturn and Murray doesn’t seem like he’ll allow it.
I'm not saying we'll miss. What I am saying is I don't think it would be a bad thing if we did. There's too many teams better than us we'd have to go through. If it were one team like Tampa, maybe we get lucky, but that won't be the case. Sometimes you have to take a step backward in order to make the necessary changes and put yourself in a better position over the next few years.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
one forward here makes difference, slot rust on first, put horny with Geno, kessel with bjugs and 4th line Blueger Cullen Simon that would work...

tonight Pets Guds and JJ were good, Shultz had numerous bad passes, trottman was Trottman and dumo had bad game...

Sid took the night off...so like someone said no one will work on his line when sid is off....

what else to say about second line...once they get the puck they look good, but they cannot go, ZAR is slow F1, puck moves here comes Geno with his fly by puck goes straight to the middle through NZ untouched...Phil is useless defensively so they look scary.once they get pinned down....but best of all old Muzz is back...if tanger and rust are back for playoffs I am not afraid of anyone with this murray

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Meh. Can't win them all
Especially against Columbus. Honestly, going into this 2 game stretch, I sort of expected 1-1 against them. They were due to beat the Pens.

Not that I’m thrilled about it given the tight playoff picture. But only need to beat out one of CAR/MTL/CBJ.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Riikola is nowhere near Pettersson or Gudbranson.

Honestly, I don’t get how a nice camp has given Riikola so much rope. He’s been terrible somehow worse than JJ.

On that note, Bleuger showed up in the third.
Lol the guy had maybe 3or 4 games in total that weren't good. Pettersson had a 2 week stretch where he was downright abysmal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not saying we'll miss. What I am saying is I don't think it would be a bad thing if we did. There's too many teams better than us we'd have to go through. If it were one team like Tampa, maybe we get lucky, but that won't be the case. Sometimes you have to take a step backward in order to make the changes and put yourself in a better position over the next few years.

So you’re a baseball fan then ;)

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I really hope we play Tampa in the 1st round tbh.
And hypothetically lets say we somehow win that series, we're still looking at two of the Caps, Bruins or Leafs. I just don't see a path forward there. If you're ok losing in the 2hd round ok. I'd prefer our stars get a longer off season and we retool. Because on the off chance we do miss the playoffs you can bet some changes will be made.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I haven't seen anything lately to make me expect a downturn. Again, it's obviously possible. But I don't expect it.
article_ef36dcf1-55c8-4358-aca3-994b72913e0c.jpg

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The optimistic part of me says if we dont, we can land a really good prospect in this upcoming draft. And we will be drafting higher than usual in all rounds. A potential building block(s) to the post Crosby Geno era with the 1st rounder.

There is that. But we won't go that far yet;)
I can't wait for JR to burn his elc and have Sully deal the finishing move on that unsuspecting fool.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And hypothetically lets say we somehow win that series, we're still looking at two of the Caps, Bruins or Leafs. I just don't see a path forward there. If you're ok losing in the 2hd round ok. I'd prefer our stars get a longer off season and we retool. Because on the off chance we do miss the playoffs you can bet some changes will be made.

I don’t know. I can not get behind actively hoping for your team to not make the playoffs.

Also, look at Vegas, Caps, Sharks, etc. Hockey is the only sport where you can easily make the finals by getting hot for a week or two.

Doubting Sid and Malkin is just bizarre to me at this stage of their career.

Reactions: Tom Hanks and NEPA

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Riikola...

Dumo is also a better puck mover than rigid Gudbranson.

i fail to see these puck moving skill you see. I just see simple passes.
I saw Guds make solid tape to tape passes as a Penguin. So far all the hate he is getting is for prior stuff before he wore a pens jersey. Which none matters to me at all. What matters is what he does in a pens uniform and so far he's been solid in his end and makes a decent first pass.

Seems like people actively want him to fail for no other reason than the fact that he's not who they wanted.

And you f***s think I'm negative.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t know. I can not get behind actively hoping for your team to not make the playoffs.

Also, look at Vegas, Caps, Sharks, etc. Hockey is the only sport where you can easily make the finals by getting hot for a week or two.
I'm more an all or nothing person. Do I want to be mediocre year after year and squeak into the playoffs like Minnesota for example? No, I d rather be real good or terribly awful and pile up high draft picks as we did in '84, 03, 04 ,05 and 06. Obviously that's not the same scenario here, or likely to be, but I'd like us to get a high draft pick if we could. It's been quite some time.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Doubting Sid and Malkin is just bizarre to me at this stage of their career.

I mean..look at the LA Kings first cup win as the 8th seed. So yeahh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad