Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. CBJ: Muz deserved better, but still a couple positives to take away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Sid and Geno aren't the entire team. Mario had Coffey and that first year they didn't make the playoffs. And I can tell you back in the 83-84 season I was actively hoping we'd lose the final half of that season so we could draft 1st overall. 16-58-6 got us Mario. So sometimes rooting for a bad outcome short term is a good thing in the long run. When we missed the playoffs in '90 after King Kong KRUPP spoiled Marios heroic return after missing most of the 2hd half of the season with back issues, I told my buddy, ''who knows, maybe we'll get a good player in the draft''. We got Jagr.

If the Flyers weren't the Flyers. we easily could have ended up wth mike ricci or scott scissons

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Boston
Washington
at Buffalo
St Louis
Philly
at Carolina
at Nashville
at Dallas

we're 2 points ahead of montreal with a game in hand. If the pens mange to go .500 in those games, montreal will need 11 of a possible 14 points to move ahead of us at that stage. not impossible but they did they just lose to the ducks 8-2 friday night

then, they'll finish up the season @columbus, @winnipeg, tampa (home), @washington, toronto (home)

I'd say a little tougher then our next 8

Reactions: Multigrain

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Bobrovksy was due a good game against us. Still, very frustrating to shoot ourselves in the foot by allowing a decisive short-handed goal once again. But I can't agree that the PP is always hurting us, just last game the early PP goal was pretty decisive, for example. We din't have Sid and Jake being otherworldly and we scored only one. Not exactly surprising, though I do think the other lines weren't bad, but Bob was good. The defense... well, there is only as much you can do with guys like Trotman. Murray deserved better, I blame the dumb thread on the main board that had already written off the Jackets. :)

Usually we have bounced back very well this season but Boston are on some kind of row right now, so it will be tough.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Here's the Penguins next 8 games over the next 2 weeks

Boston
Washington
at Buffalo
St Louis
Philly
at Carolina
at Nashville
at Dallas

That is just absolutely BRUTAL.

Are the Pens IN or OUT after those 8 games?

BTW, for the curious, the last 6 games include a home and home with the Rangers and Red Wings, and home games against the Predators and Hurricanes.

Yeah, anyone who thinks losing tonight was no biggie because Columbus needed it more wasn't considering the Pens next 8 games.

As an aside, the Blue Jackets and Canadiens also have somewhat comparably rough schedules the rest of the way.

We're in.

Beat Buffalo, Philly, Dallas and Carolina.

Lose to Boston, Washington, St.Louis, Nashville

All in all though, the BJ's schedule is worse;

@Islanders
vs Bruins
vs Hurricanes
@ Bruins
@ Flames
@ Oilers
@ Canucks
vs Islanders

I don't see them getting more than 8 points there.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
We're in.

Beat Buffalo, Philly, Dallas and Carolina.

Lose to Boston, Washington, St.Louis, Nashville

All in all though, the BJ's schedule is worse;

@Islanders
vs Bruins
vs Hurricanes
@ Bruins
@ Flames
@ Oilers
@ Canucks
vs Islanders

I don't see them getting more than 8 points there.
why would we lose to those four teams, I mean whats the point if we can't beat any team that does not suck....that should be a nice telltale how good we are. we should go at least 2-2 those four games..

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
One thing I noticed is that the Pens kept trying to force passes, especially to the point, and often when it clearly wasn't there.

One play, Dumo is down low, he has an open forward behind the net. Reason dictates that one should swing the puck below to him and retreat to your defensive position. Instead he forces it into double coverage in the high slot. And that's just one example. Seemed like it was everyone, all night

Definitely too fancy at times. Unfortunately that's normal for the Pens. Several players were guilty of it.

Bobrovksy was due a good game against us. Still, very frustrating to shoot ourselves in the foot by allowing a decisive short-handed goal once again. But I can't agree that the PP is always hurting us, just last game the early PP goal was pretty decisive, for example. We din't have Sid and Jake being otherworldly and we scored only one. Not exactly surprising, though I do think the other lines weren't bad, but Bob was good. The defense... well, there is only as much you can do with guys like Trotman. Murray deserved better, I blame the dumb thread on the main board that had already written off the Jackets. :)

Usually we have bounced back very well this season but Boston are on some kind of row right now, so it will be tough.

No BS, I was thinking the exact same thing while I was reading that.

I mentioned earlier, I didn't think it was a bad game. But slightly concerning, as the Pens got themselves an ever so slight amount of breathing room, then show zero desperation the next game. Still, I'm happy with the 4-1-2 record the past two weeks considering the D corps they've been deploying.

Don't feel outstanding about tonight, but the B's are due for an off night, haha.

Reactions: Doogle

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Every game is a grind and Pens need to move on to a win tonight. Schedule is the schedule and win 4 out of the next 5 and go win 5 out of the next 9 and that is more than enough for second in the metro and first round with the Flounders. Caps play Columbus or Carolina and that is a tough out as well. Pens get back to full strength for the run and who knows what happens.

Reactions: ncm7772

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Riikola is nowhere near Pettersson or Gudbranson.

Honestly, I don’t get how a nice camp has given Riikola so much rope. He’s been terrible somehow worse than JJ.

On that note, Bleuger showed up in the third.

Just talking puck moving ability and skating. Riko is much better than Gudbranson at that.

The thing Riikola needs to clean up is hitting said simple passes out the Zone. It should be an easy fix for him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So, why did they move McCann off Sid's line?

One of my minor issues with Sullivan -- he seems to change up combos that are working after only a game or two for no apparent reason.

If you look around the league, most teams keep their lines intact for long stretches of games. Sullivan seems to put his in a blender after 2 games.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
One of my minor issues with Sullivan -- he seems to change up combos that are working after only a game or two for no apparent reason.

If you look around the league, most teams keep their lines intact for long stretches of games. Sullivan seems to put his in a blender after 2 SHIFTS...

There...FIFY...

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Kessel is just building all that negative energy up to unleash it upon an unsuspecting Stanley Cup Playoffs. You have to respect the long-term strategy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The best part about people complaining about McCann being off Sid’s line is most of them are the same people that were outraged by the fact McCann was on the first line and Jake was on the RW.

Stupid Sully!!!

I mean, it was working, though. So why switch it, even if originally it didn't seem like a good idea?

If Garrett Wilson is put on Crosby's line, much to the chagrin of everyone, but then that line proceeds to score 5 goals per game for the next 3 games and looks absolutely dominant, I'd change my tune really quick about him being used there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean, it was working, though. So why switch it, even if originally it didn't seem like a good idea?

If Garrett Wilson is put on Crosby's line, much to the chagrin of everyone, but then that line proceeds to score 5 goals per game for the next 3 games and looks absolutely dominant, I'd change my tune really quick about him being used there.

I think number one out second and third lines were kind of an island. Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist showed flashes.

I also don’t think McCann - Crosby - Jake was as solid as some say. They capitalized quickly in Montreal, but had some difficulties (McCann especially) doing anything in the o-zone.

This is just people hating Simon on the 1st. Which given the injury to Rust and Sid’s reluctance to play with Hornqvist is basically guaranteed.

I mean, Hornqvist should be there.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think number one out second and third lines were kind of an island. Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist showed flashes.

I also don’t think McCann - Crosby - Jake was as solid as some say. They capitalized quickly in Montreal, but had some difficulties (McCann especially) doing anything in the o-zone.

This is just people hating Simon on the 1st. Which given the injury to Rust and Sid’s reluctance to play with Hornqvist is basically guaranteed.

I mean, Hornqvist should be there.

I personally prefer (after seeing him there) McCann on that line over Simon because of his defensive ability. If Sid's line is going up against the other team's top lines, I'd prefer that he have a more reliable defensive winger on his other flank.

The second line's going to be in a funk until Malkin and Kessel decide to not suck. So I don't think McCann being moved off Sid's line has any impact on that line.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The current lineup without Rust that should be in place and assuming no one else called up....

Jake-Sid-Horny
McCann-G- Phil
ZAR-Bjug-Simon
Blueger-Cullen-Wilson

This puts the best wingers with the best centers...Phil and Horny can be swapped,..we have to ice the best top lines with Rust out imo...I also would sit Cullen for awhile..he has like 3 points in 17 games...he’s fading and we need him for April...I’d bring someone up (or two) from WBS and move Blueger to center on that line..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad