Post-Game Talk: | Pens vs Caps | win | We won, but what did it cost us?

Who do we hate more?

• Ovy

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Wilson

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Sheary

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Anne Hathaway

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Laviolette

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
You can blame Sullivan for a lot of things but I don't see how you can blame him for Kap not having any hockey IQ.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
HFboards: "Yay, Dumo is finally getting bumped down to limit his minutes."

Injury bug:
Screen_Shot_2020-10-05_at_11.51.58_AM.jpg

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Super impressive taking down that juggernaut of a not-at-all devastatingly injured team.

But whatever. Any win at this point is... good?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Super impressive taking down that juggernaut of a not-at-all devastatingly injured team.

But whatever. Any win at this point is... good?

I think it’s more the overall play the last few games and the fact we turtle with a lead and lost those games and last night we kept on pushing play.

Be interesting to see what we do against a hot Toronto squad.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think it’s more the overall play the last few games and the fact we turtle with a lead and lost those games and last night we kept on pushing play.

Be interesting to see what we do against a hot Toronto squad.

Yeah. Obviously I'm not expecting great things. But I guess that's why they play the games.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Leave Kap in Toronto, please and thank you.

Give the Leafs a nice bottle of $3 wine as a thank you for lending him to the Pens for several years. Call it even.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Kap has eight (8) goals in his 85 games played, including the playoffs. I'm not sure he's gonna attract a lot of attention from teams looking for offense. :laugh:

Reactions: Still Apps

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Frankly, I'm furious Anne Hathaway isn't leading the poll

Is she being in GDTs NOT the reason we started losing in playoffs after you bastards stopped running with WWE memes?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
He brings offensive skill that a lot of the players I listed simply don't.

Barbashev is probably a situation where we are adding.
:laugh: I mean, sure. Hard disagree, but it's all good.

I'm all for dumping cap--err, Kap, but I think you're looking at a situation where you're getting peanuts back (a 3rd or 4th plus some nobody prospect) and the actual return is the cap relief. That, or you're getting an equally flawed guy in a swap of "change of scenery" players like with Puljujarvi--who I think also sucks absolute shit, and is living on draft pedigree and ever-waning hopes he lives up to expectation some day.

They should've just shopped him at the draft and if nobody wanted him, they should've let him walk. Still find it puzzling that Hextall kept him around when he had no reason to; either sentimental connection or on-ice performance. Maybe Sully is like, super high on the guy? I don't know.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
:laugh: I mean, sure. Hard disagree, but it's all good.

I'm all for dumping cap--err, Kap, but I think you're looking at a situation where you're getting peanuts back (a 3rd or 4th plus some nobody prospect) and the actual return is the cap relief. That, or you're getting an equally flawed guy in a swap of "change of scenery" players like with Puljujarvi--who I think also sucks absolute shit, and is living on draft pedigree and ever-waning hopes he lives up to expectation some day.

They should've just shopped him at the draft and if nobody wanted him, they should've let him walk. Still find it puzzling that Hextall kept him around when he had no reason to; either sentimental connection or on-ice performance. Maybe Sully is like, super high on the guy? I don't know.

I think it'll be wayyyy harder to get a pick back for Kapanen with no cap retention then it will be to move him for a similar underperforming player on a bad team.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think it'll be wayyyy harder to get a pick back for Kapanen with no cap retention then it will be to move him for a similar underperforming player on a bad team.
Yeah, I agree on that point for sure. That second year really kinda throws a wrench in the whole thing. It'd be a bit easier to try and pawn Kap off on somebody if it was just a situation of a team taking on a struggling player to see what he's got before deciding to cut him loose or commit next summer.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
He brings offensive skill that a lot of the players I listed simply don't.

Barbashev is probably a situation where we are adding.
Barbadhev had a great season last year and if you look at the Blues this season thier whole team is under-performing. ROR, Tank,Thomas, Krug, Parayako. Saad and Buchnevich just came back from injuries.

The Blues value Barbashev pretty highly IMO. If we are going to move Kap and an asset it would take to grab him I would look elsewhere

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Barbadhev had a great season last year and if you look at the Blues this season thier whole team is under-performing. ROR, Tank,Thomas, Krug, Parayako. Saad and Buchnevich just came back from injuries.

The Blues value Barbashev pretty highly IMO. If we are going to move Kap and an asset it would take to grab him I would look elsewhere

I think Barbashev is the perfect fit for our bottom six. Center and wing usage. Bigger body. Plays physical and can score.

I offered Kapanen, a 2nd and Hallander for Barbashev and some Blues fans were good with it.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Kapanen stopped doing things that made him successful early on.

The simplest piece of evidence is his shooting.

He averaged 4.1 shot attempts per game in his first full season in the NHL with Toronto. He scored 20 goals.

It was down to 3.1 the next year, then 2.8 shots per game in his first year with Pittsburgh.

Last year it was 2.97 and this year it is just 2 shots per game through 12 games.

His scoring has dropped with each decline in shot attempts.

Kapanen's two best assets are his speed and his shot. He's not using the latter, and it's not a Sullivan thing because he dropped significantly while still in Toronto.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't really know a thing about Barbashev but stat skimming and reading quick scouting reports, it looks like he's a generic 3rd/4th liner who has disappointed since being drafted but had a crazy anomalous season last year for whatever reason.

Also, weirdly different height/weights for the guy. Some places have him at 6'1" other places have him at 5'11" and the weights range from 182 to 197.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Kapanen stopped doing things that made him successful early on.

The simplest piece of evidence is his shooting.

He averaged 4.1 shot attempts per game in his first full season in the NHL with Toronto. He scored 20 goals.

It was down to 3.1 the next year, then 2.8 shots per game in his first year with Pittsburgh.

Last year it was 2.97 and this year it is just 2 shots per game through 12 games.

His scoring has dropped with each decline in shot attempts.

Kapanen's two best assets are his speed and his shot. He's not using the latter, and it's not a Sullivan thing because he dropped significantly while still in Toronto.
I mean I appreciate your saying it’s not a Sullivan thing but then again we have too many examples of players starting off like gang busters here only to regress when they finally learn how to play in our system lol…probably 90% of this is on the player…he’s a limited IQ player…but I do think there are coaches who would be able to find a way for him to play in a way he does best and incorporate him in their club…Sullivan is almost as limited in doing this as Kap’s IQ lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad