Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Caps | Shootout loss | Just like the good 'ole days, terrible goaltending included!

Who would you rather in net?

• CDS

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Kuemper

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Hex

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sullivan’s postgame comments lol…insightful, thanks for giving us your time…

“It was a hard-fought point, I'll tell you that. I thought we competed hard."

On what he has to do to help get this team to get more consistency at the beginning of games: "Yeah, I don't have an answer for you. We got to be ready to play."

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Because we are one of the most profitable teams in the league and have a great history that will keep people coming for years.

With the comments you make I wonder if you are even a Penguins fan half the time. Or just like a miserable pile of clothing that sits in a dungeon that has become sentient typing the same thing every few days.
Spot on. It's pretty damn difficult not to make a killing owning a professional franchise these days. Dan Snyder bought the (then) Washington Redskins in 1999 for $750 million and he will be selling in the next year for at least $6 billion. During Dan's tenure, the team sued longtime season ticket holders, went through multiple front office changes while fielding embarrassingly poor teams, poisoned the FedEx Field experience to the point where they eliminated at least 10,000 seats, are potentially criminally liable for workplace sexual harassment, handled the name change in an utterly disastrous fashion and completely decimated what was once the largest season ticket waitlist in sports. No owners like Snyder, and his ex-coaches and GMs despise him. He did nothing right, yet will pocket BILLIONS once he finally divests.

NHL is not the NFL. TV contracts are miles apart, so the analogy isn't perfect, but the undeniable trend for blue chip hockey franchises is they definitely appreciate in value, outpacing inflation. Seattle just paid $650 million just to join the club. And as of December, Forbes values the franchise at over $1 billion. A team that has yet to play a post-season game in its second year of existence.

FSG isn't stupid, but some of the takes in here are incredibly dumb, as well as endlessly repetitive.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Spot on. It's pretty damn difficult not to make a killing owning a professional franchise these days. Dan Snyder bought the (then) Washington Redskins in 1999 for $750 million and he will be selling in the next year for at least $6 billion. During Dan's tenure, the team sued longtime season ticket holders, went through multiple front office changes while fielding embarrassingly poor teams, poisoned the FedEx Field experience to the point where they eliminated at least 10,000 seats, are potentially criminally liable for workplace sexual harassment, handled the name change in an utterly disastrous fashion and completely decimated what was once the largest season ticket waitlist in sports. No owners like Snyder, and his ex-coaches and GMs despise him. He did nothing right, yet will pocket BILLIONS once he finally divests.

NHL is not the NFL. TV contracts are miles apart, so the analogy isn't perfect, but the undeniable trend for blue chip hockey franchises is they definitely appreciate in value, outpacing inflation. Seattle just paid $650 million just to join the club. And as of December, Forbes values the franchise at over $1 billion. A team that has yet to play a post-season game in its second year of existence.

FSG isn't stupid, but some of the takes in here are incredibly dumb, as well as endlessly repetitive.

To be fair he has marked himself as Big Friggin Dummy so I imagine it’s a bit.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Everyone seems to think that if we ever fired Mike Tomlin-Sullivan that he'd be in serious demand and would be snatched up immediately. After all, "he" won 2 Stanley Cups sometime back in the Paleolithic Era and that counts more than his last 5 seasons where he's been channeling Dan Bylsma.

And where is Sully going to find another team to his liking -- one that is as p***yfied as this one? Will he be given GM-level authority by his new team to make moves and therefore change an otherwise normal NHL team into the squad of wimps which he prefers?
The NY Rangers were dying to hire Sully instead of Gallant in 2021. Granted the Rangers are aspirational, they also had the hots for Brind'amour who wasn't going even come close to sniffing the market.

To be fair he has marked himself as Big Friggin Dummy so I imagine it’s a bit.
I've been blocked for like, forever, so I'm not well-acquainted.

Reactions: Gurglesons

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
-Sid and Jake
+CDS! Way to go kid! Don’t listen to the haterz on HFBOARDS Pens.
-Dumo
-Third line
-letting Ovi get clean look on the PP

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think we should put him out for the faceoff on PP1.

Sid loses every one that matters.

Our PP was beyond shameful.
Problem is the bench distance and the zone. In OT it works because when it squirts out to Letang he can rag it, giving time for Carter to change.
If Carts is out on PP1 then he's stuck there.

Although I would argue that Carter as net front, replacing Jake, isn't the worst idea in the world when we're cold. Jake doesn't do much on that unit. We need those faceoff wins. You lose 20 seconds automatically when you lose it.

This was Yohe’s original tweet that this guy was commenting on lol…

There's a hungry player named Valteri Puustinen in Wilkes-Barre Scranton we could try.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Problem is the bench distance and the zone. In OT it works because when it squirts out to Letang he can rag it, giving time for Carter to change.
If Carts is out on PP1 then he's stuck there.

Although I would argue that Carter as net front, replacing Jake, isn't the worst idea in the world when we're cold. Jake doesn't do much on that unit. We need those faceoff wins. You lose 20 seconds automatically when you lose it.

There's a hungry player named Valteri Puustinen in Wilkes-Barre Scranton we could try.

Imagine what Big Puusy could do with six minutes on L4

Reactions: Pens x

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I have no idea what the plan here is for the ownership group. pens are at best OK and may make the playoffs. Hextall will sign Jarry and a LW2 and some smaller deals. Pens will ice the same team with minor changes next year. Ownership is new to hockey and not sure they have a plan beyond year 3 or 4 when Sid retires. But unless there are changes to the franchise as to upgrading a couple positions, expect more of the same from Sully and the results.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I have no idea what the plan here is for the ownership group. pens are at best OK and may make the playoffs. Hextall will sign Jarry and a LW2 and some smaller deals. Pens will ice the same team with minor changes next year. Ownership is new to hockey and not sure they have a plan beyond year 3 or 4 when Sid retires. But unless there are changes to the franchise as to upgrading a couple positions, expect more of the same from Sully and the results.

What plan do you have besides that?

Why would a franchise ever move Sidney Crosby?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sullivan’s postgame comments lol…insightful, thanks for giving us your time…

“It was a hard-fought point, I'll tell you that. I thought we competed hard."

On what he has to do to help get this team to get more consistency at the beginning of games: "Yeah, I don't have an answer for you. We got to be ready to play."

"I don't have an answer for something that, as head coach, I'm responsible for."

How many games of this team being inconsistent and messy will it take before more eyes focus on the guy behind the bench?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Or just like a miserable pile of clothing that sits in a dungeon that has become sentient typing the same thing every few days.
In fairness, isn't that all of us? We all sit here day after day repeating our own tired refrains about Sullivan and Hextall and nothing ever changes the way we want :laugh:

Although I think at least some of us do enjoy following the team despite every indication otherwise. Or perhaps we're masochists...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
b98b782e05452bdf9db10a40ea6c5543e41ea4d3.gifv

Reactions: Pens x

Fordy

May 28, 2008
every single "it's time to go" coaching move is coming out this year. is hextall the one gm who won't do the obvious?

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The only thing that could've made this dogshit game any worse was if it went to a shootout. God, shootouts are f***ing god awful.
Settle down there McDavid.

every single "it's time to go" coaching move is coming out this year. is hextall the one gm who won't do the obvious?
FSG literally handed Sullivan a 3 year extension after speaking to him in the off season, this is less about Hextall and more about ownership wanting him around.

Therein lies the problem...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

FSG literally handed Sullivan a 3 year extension after speaking to him in the off season, this is less about Hextall and more about ownership wanting him around.

*Therrein

In fairness, isn't that all of us? We all sit here day after day repeating our own tired refrains about Sullivan and Hextall and nothing ever changes the way we want :laugh:

Although I think at least some of us do enjoy following the team despite every indication otherwise. Or perhaps we're masochists...

BFD has been crying about the window being over since 2018.

He just likes and wants chaos.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Yeah there's just no way he's getting fired with a three year extension.

There's no serious indication they even think Sullivan is a problem anyways. Or that he's faced the slightest bit of heat for our struggles.

If anything, I bet that if this team misses the playoffs or flames out again that FSG might replace Hextall and Burke. They didn't give them the same vote of confidence they gave Sullivan. And they may want their own people in place running the team at some point.

*Therrein

BFD has been crying about the window being over since 2018.

He just likes and wants chaos.
Man people were saying the window was closed in like 2014.

It's not closed until we miss the playoffs two years in a row. Then I'll believe it's closed.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean…Lol. Someone responds to Yohe saying Sullivan is making lineup decisions that are hurting the team yet nobody ever calls him out like they do Hextall. But he’s not part of the problem. Make no mistake, Sullivan is friendly with the media so he gets a pass. Hextall hides from the media so he doesn’t. That’s it.

Yohe has the professional integrity of a corrupt politician.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah there's just no way he's getting fired with a three year extension.

There's no serious indication they even think Sullivan is a problem anyways. Or that he's faced the slightest bit of heat for our struggles.

If anything, I bet that if this team misses the playoffs or flames out again that FSG might replace Hextall and Burke. They didn't give them the same vote of confidence they gave Sullivan. And they may want their own people in place running the team at some point.

Man people were saying the window was closed in like 2014.

It's not closed until we miss the playoffs two years in a row. Then I'll believe it's closed.
You'd need to essentially trade everyone except Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Guentzel enough times with the same shitty results with Sullivan for FSG to finally say ok that's it.

The problem is, we've already been through that and are in year 5 of it. We're going to get into year 9 and by then, this team will be so beyond f***ed that the best Hextall could do if he even sticks around is keep drafting options so the new coach in 3-4yrs will maybe use them.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's what bothers me most, FSG is about results and what not. How does an ownership like that ignore the last 5 seasons, see what's going on in this season, the usage and utilization of the roster and the patterns and think - yeah ok this is the right man for the job.

The thing is the FSG folks have deep pockets, firing Sullivan during a time where a lot of coaches will also be fired near the end of this season, he will find work, but waiting this out for another 2 years even, makes this team's window closed right at the end of this season.

I seriously think if Sullivan ends this season as the coach and is back next year, the window is done. This will then just be a team looking to make the playoffs just to generate extra revenue to have a season in the green, with no real playoff success on the horizon.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You'd need to essentially trade everyone except Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Guentzel enough times with the same shitty results with Sullivan for FSG to finally say ok that's it.

The problem is, we've already been through that and are in year 5 of it. We're going to get into year 9 and by then, this team will be so beyond f***ed that the best Hextall could do if he even sticks around is keep drafting options so the new coach in 3-4yrs will maybe use them.
You know, I hate a lot of things about the team right now (Sully's coaching included) but we could be a better team next year.

- No Dumo

- Rework the bottom six

- Re-sign Zucker or don't. If we don't, use those cap savings on someone else to slot in there

- Make room for both Smith and POJ to play. Give DOC full time job. See if other WBS guys are ready.

Assuming Sid/Geno/Letang don't suddenly fall off a cliff, we could be a much improved team next year if Hextall manages the off season properly.

There's your glass half full take.

The glass half empty take is maybe Hextall does all of those things but we keep Sullivan and it just doesn't matter because he ends up misusing the roster he's given

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad