Post-Game Talk: |Pens vs Caps | Shootout loss | Just like the good 'ole days, terrible goaltending included!

Who would you rather in net?

• CDS

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Kuemper

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Hex

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
100% your prerogative and I don't disagree. Just don't post same f***ing whine every day for the next 2.5 years. That is rhetorical, I know you are better than that.
I can be stubborn at times like anyone but my opinions do tend to evolve over time. I was one of Sullivan's biggest backers (and I still think that - prior to this year - he mostly did a good job) but I've soured on him this year like everyone else.

So I don't think you need to worry about me thinking the same thing all the time. I'll change my mind on things if given a reason to. I don't have an overwhelming need to be proven right on prior opinions.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah there's just no way he's getting fired with a three year extension.

There's no serious indication they even think Sullivan is a problem anyways. Or that he's faced the slightest bit of heat for our struggles.

If anything, I bet that if this team misses the playoffs or flames out again that FSG might replace Hextall and Burke. They didn't give them the same vote of confidence they gave Sullivan. And they may want their own people in place running the team at some point.

Man people were saying the window was closed in like 2014.

It's not closed until we miss the playoffs two years in a row. Then I'll believe it's closed.

Well that’s why I called him a sentient pile of dirty laundry. Because he’s one of those posters whose like the windows over every year.
You know, I hate a lot of things about the team right now (Sully's coaching included) but we could be a better team next year.

- No Dumo

- Rework the bottom six

- Re-sign Zucker or don't. If we don't, use those cap savings on someone else to slot in there

- Make room for both Smith and POJ to play. Give DOC full time job. See if other WBS guys are ready.

Assuming Sid/Geno/Letang don't suddenly fall off a cliff, we could be a much improved team next year if Hextall manages the off season properly.

There's your glass half full take.

The glass half empty take is maybe Hextall does all of those things but we keep Sullivan and it just doesn't matter because he ends up misusing the roster he's given

We could bring in like Nikita Kucherov and Sully would still play GCR.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Dumo wasn't the issue this game. Weird call-out by many of you. It's like it's stuck on repeat.

Sure we can do better than him but he's been playing pretty solid lately in some pretty big mins.

I feel like some here just find a name, and stick to it without even watching the games.

Reactions: vodeni

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You know, I hate a lot of things about the team right now (Sully's coaching included) but we could be a better team next year.

- No Dumo

- Rework the bottom six

- Re-sign Zucker or don't. If we don't, use those cap savings on someone else to slot in there

- Make room for both Smith and POJ to play. Give DOC full time job. See if other WBS guys are ready.

Assuming Sid/Geno/Letang don't suddenly fall off a cliff, we could be a much improved team next year if Hextall manages the off season properly.

The glass half empty take is maybe Hextall does all of those things but we keep Sullivan and it just doesn't matter because he ends up misusing the roster he's given
That's a risky bunch of "ifs" at their age.

This isn't a team with a core in their 20's with a lot of good potential years left. Hoping next year will see them perform at their current level is asking for trouble, IMO.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dumo wasn't the issue this game. Weird call-out by many of you. It's like it's stuck on repeat.

Sure we can do better than him but he's been playing pretty solid lately in some pretty big mins.

I feel like some here just find a name, and stick to it without even watching the games.

Dumo got beat wide like 5 times tonight, threw a ton of pucks against the boards on weak clears and just shouldn’t be playing 20+ minutes a night.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dumo got beat wide like 5 times tonight, threw a ton of pucks against the boards on weak clears and just shouldn’t be playing 20+ minutes a night.
It's weird to me how some fans see Dumoulin block a couple of shots or make a desperation poke check because he's out of position to argue he had a strong night, while ignoring just how god awful he often is with the puck and how a lot of these chances are a result of his weak pass/clear attempts being intercepted.

"OMG did you see those two massive shot blocks by Dumoulin?"

"Yes, both came after he fanned on an easy clearing attempt and which allowed the opposition to maintain pressure in our zone because of those failed attempts"

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
It's weird to me how some fans see Dumoulin block a couple of shots or make a desperation poke check because he's out of position to argue he had a strong night, while ignoring just how god awful he often is with the puck and how a lot of these chances are a result of his weak pass/clear attempts being intercepted.

"OMG did you see those two massive shot blocks by Dumoulin?"

"Yes, both came after he fanned on an easy clearing attempt and which allowed the opposition to maintain pressure in our zone because of those failed attempts"
I'm talking the scope of the last handful of games not just tonight.

He has been much better lately

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

You’re not serious, surely? I invite you to revisit the third period especially.
And anyway, no one is “the issue” other than Sullivan, but Dumo played 25 minutes. Do that while driving nothing (which means that you impede) and losing most every 50/50 situation… you hurt the team.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Sid is such a traditionalist that he's quiet quitting the shootout because it wasn't in Ye Olde Codified Rules for the Gayme of Hockeye written by the Earl of Wales in 1436 after the battle of Goldfarthing-Buttwater or whatever.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sid has two shootout moves
1) immediately shoot high blocker
2) immediately try to go five hole

It's been like that for like 10 years now. Dude has probably the best backhand in the league, why does he refuse to use it in shootouts?
That or just stickhandling the goalie's eyes out would be nice, yeah. He makes himself average for no reason.
His percentage is definitely better when he tries to deke.

Reactions: Smasher

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That or just stickhandling the goalie's eyes out would be nice, yeah. He makes himself average for no reason.
His percentage is definitely better when he tries to deke.

IDK, I think Sid is probably just kind of checked out by the time we get to the shootouts. The whole team really, they just seem pretty complacent at them, there's no real feeling that they WANT to win the shootouts, and as far as we know, I don't think they practice them much anymore either. That was a Bylsma thing, but man, we could really use some of those points now.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
every single "it's time to go" coaching move is coming out this year. is hextall the one gm who won't do the obvious?
I don’t think Hextall has the power to sack Sullivan, but I doubt he would even if he could. See Hakstol, David.

And before anyone comes back with but but but maybe Hextall has learned from his [many] mistakes in Philly, look no further than him bringing back Elliott and Neuvirth despite them being the worst statistical goalie tandem in the league.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

- No Dumo

- Rework the bottom six

Next year will be the year that Hextall and Sullivan try AHL guys, eh? Lazy ass will likely re-sign most if not all free agents. I have some volcano insurance for you if you are interested in buying coverage.

Hextall caters to Sullivan’s stupidity. He is an accomplice in all of this. He could hold Sullivan accountable. At the very least, he needs to get rid of Sully’s pets like he did last year. But he needs to stop bringing in players based on Sullivan. It hasn’t worked since 2017 - I don’t know why anyone would consult Sullivan on personnel anymore.

Getting rid of Sullivan solves like 50% of the problems unless you want this team to start a 15-20 year rebuild now, then by all means, keep sleepy.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I can be stubborn at times like anyone but my opinions do tend to evolve over time. I was one of Sullivan's biggest backers (and I still think that - prior to this year - he mostly did a good job) but I've soured on him this year like everyone else.

So I don't think you need to worry about me thinking the same thing all the time. I'll change my mind on things if given a reason to. I don't have an overwhelming need to be proven right on prior opinions.
You didn’t have a reason to sour on Sully until just this year? Wait until you see Dumo sucks in 3 seasons from now on his next contract with the team. Buckle up.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
IDK, I think Sid is probably just kind of checked out by the time we get to the shootouts. The whole team really, they just seem pretty complacent at them, there's no real feeling that they WANT to win the shootouts, and as far as we know, I don't think they practice them much anymore either. That was a Bylsma thing, but man, we could really use some of those points now.
If that's the case then that's sad, cuz it only requires like a good 10 second burst to make the difference. Kind of insulting to all the players who grinded during the game to go full casual.
That was only our 2nd shootout luckily. We won the first one. So yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they rarely practice it. The format's changed.

I think we're using the wrong shooters too. Rust is 5/6 for the career, and scored 2 in pre-season. Feels like insanity to sit him, especially on a night where he scored already.
Letang's been playing with massive confidence since coming back and would have been in my 3 as well.
Even Carter is 2/3 as a Penguin. We have options.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If that's the case then that's sad, cuz it only requires like a good 10 second burst to make the difference. Kind of insulting to all the players who grinded during the game to go full casual.
That was only our 2nd shootout luckily. We won the first one. So yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they rarely practice it. The format's changed.

I think we're using the wrong shooters too. Rust is 5/6 for the career, and scored 2 in pre-season. Feels like insanity to sit him, especially on a night where he scored already.
Letang's been playing with massive confidence since coming back and would have been in my 3 as well.
Even Carter is 2/3 as a Penguin. We have options.
Our coach doesn’t believe in other options.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The Pens play no defense whatsoever, miraculously only allows two goals and yet the title of this thread includes the phrase "terrible goaltending"? This forum sure loves focusing on its whipping boys.

Would have been funny if Dumo had won it in the end but honestly we had no business even being in this game after the first period, let alone stealing a point and almost stealing a second one. Speaking of funny, Mears calling the game a classic and poor Bob Errey describing it as a "tight checking game" in a desperate attempt to find something positive about the shambolic performance made me chuckle.

Malkin taking a penalty, then having a really long shift seemed like a recipe for disaster but the disaster failed to happen. Then he proceeded to half-ass a penalty shot once again. Just not a good game all around. L4 seemed to have some jump and Sully refused to play them in the final minutes once again, colour me stunned. Thank goodness Kuemper gifted us a goal but the way things are going, the Sabres are going to catch us. Not playing even a semblance of organised defense is going to catch up with the Pens sooner or later.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You didn’t have a reason to sour on Sully until just this year? Wait until you see Dumo sucks in 3 seasons from now on his next contract with the team. Buckle up.
Not to the extent that many others have, no. The team was for the most part playing well in prior years. This is the worst I've seen them play under Sullivan aside from maybe during the first year of the pandemic where they were spiraling before the season got cancelled.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Next year will be the year that Hextall and Sullivan try AHL guys, eh? Lazy ass will likely re-sign most if not all free agents. I have some volcano insurance for you if you are interested in buying coverage.

Hextall caters to Sullivan’s stupidity. He is an accomplice in all of this. He could hold Sullivan accountable. At the very least, he needs to get rid of Sully’s pets like he did last year. But he needs to stop bringing in players based on Sullivan. It hasn’t worked since 2017 - I don’t know why anyone would consult Sullivan on personnel anymore.

Getting rid of Sullivan solves like 50% of the problems unless you want this team to start a 15-20 year rebuild now, then by all means, keep sleepy.
We'll have to see how they handle it. I don't think either of them are stupid. They can see how the team is playing. I don't think their response to that will be to double down on shitty players when they have a chance to make changes.

I mean that has been their response so far but that's the roster they have. When Dumo is gone they'll be forced to go in another direction there, and it's blatantly obvious that the bottom six needs changes and I expect Hextall to try and address that at least in the off season if not sooner.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
But who is gonna take those minutes? Dumo ate up 25 solid hockey on the left side. You're really gonna give those to a younger guy that can skate, defend, and clear the zone better?

No thanks bud, I'll stick with what I know. Good thing you don't make millions to coach with your radical views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad