Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps for the 80th time

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Well he will trade Dumo or Pettersson for a winger or whatever. Maybe get some 4th line help. That's not enough.

Having a flaccid 2nd line ends any chance to compete. Hell, it might prevent us making the playoffs.

I still think Letang helps more than he hurts. We'd have a difficult time on breakouts without him. And as attached to Malkin as I and most of this board are, if the time is coming for him then I would do it now...before this season slips away and his value tanks more.

Pens need a culture shock. Too many incomplete games. It's gonna take a big swing to bring real change. And if they're unwilling to make a big move now then that's just surrendering to mediocrity.

I don't think they'll trade Dumo or Petts nor do I think they need a culture shock. Get some guys going, make a couple moves. I think they're trending upward. Losing while scoring on the PP is worse than not scoring. If they don't get it together on the powerplay of all things then yeah, they're toast.

Reactions: BHD

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
can't believe on some takes here, especially on Matheson, 99 out of 100 times the way he defended that is not score...He kept his body in line, his stick broke, Jarry wwnt for a poke and puck weirdly bounces off of his arm...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
McCann wasn't doing anything when he was in the lineup. It just meant we saw less of 'the fourth liners.' Zucker, meanwhile, was brutal to start to the season.

Dumoulin, is the big one IMO. He definitely wasn't playing up to his level, but he was still better than someone of the other guys. Getting him back will help, because some of them (the ones who normally play a lesser role) are getting caught out there.

FLAT OUT LIE.

He scored tons of goals in those scrimmages.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't think they'll trade Dumo or Petts nor do I think they need a culture shock. Get some guys going, make a couple moves. I think they're trending upward. Losing while scoring on the PP is worse than not scoring. If they don't get it together on the powerplay of all things then yeah, they're toast.
They better do something because that fourth line is an abomination. As I so aptly predicted it would be before the season even started. No surprise whatsoever. And honestly, it'd be hard to make that line any worse.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Said it before the season, and I'll say it again. I don't think the roster is that good. It doesn't mean they aren't playing hard, but the lack of finish (and sometimes skill) is apparent. So yeah, I'm not shocked to see them where they are.

Exactly how I feel. For the most part, I've actually liked the effort of the team (sans the openers verse Philly). They're just mediocre when it comes to talent.

Reactions: BHD

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Bruins, Caps, Flyers and Isles are the top 4 teams in the division and will be the playoff qualifiers. Pens are competing for 5th best...

I don’t give two shits about how many games the Pens have remaining against the Devils and Sabres because those games aren’t guarantees by any stretch and they’ve already f***ed around too much with these 3 point games and allowed the Isles and Caps to continue to build and stack points.

And what’s Hextall gonna do? What can he do? Can he trade the stupid away from this team and bring back some hockey sense?

On a side note...pretty funny, or pathetic depending on how you look at it, to watch Wilson yet again rock a Pens player and send him off the ice, and 1. You don’t make him pay on the PP and 2. Your epic response was a bump at center ice that likely didn’t faze him at all, and then chirp with him while skates around with a big f***ing grin on his face...

Classic Pens...

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
They better do something because that fourth line is an abomination. As I so aptly predicted it would be before the season even started. No surprise whatsoever. And honestly, it'd be hard to make that line any worse.

Not to be a downer on him but what is it that people see in DOC? I don't see any redeeming NHL qualities.

Jank, Laff, Scev, DOC, Erod....not much to make an effective, cohesive 4th line. They get hemmed every game.

Reactions: ncm7772

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Caps gap was much better tonight. They did a much better job taking away our time and space. Better faceoff night as well I believe. Better structure overall.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Bruins, Caps, Flyers and Isles are the top 4 teams in the division and will be the playoff qualifiers. Pens are competing for 5th best...

I don’t give two shits about how many games the Pens have remaining against the Devils and Sabres because those games aren’t guarantees by any stretch and they’ve already f***ed around too much with these 3 point games and allowed the Isles and Caps to continue to build and stack points.

And what’s Hextall gonna do? What can he do? Can he trade the stupid away from this team and bring back some hockey sense?

On a side note...pretty funny, or pathetic depending on how you look at it, to watch Wilson yet again rock a Pens player and send him off the ice, and 1. You don’t make him pay on the PP and 2. Your epic response was a bump at center ice that likely didn’t faze him at all, and then chirp with him while skates around with a big f***ing grin on his face...

Classic Pens...

Okay.... so what is your response to dealing with him?

Who do you send after him from the penguins roster? More importantly.... what exactly will that accomplish.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not to be a downer on him but what is it that people see in DOC? I don't see any redeeming NHL qualities.

Jank, Laff, Scev, DOC, Erod....not much to make an effective, cohesive 4th line. They get hemmed every game.
I at least see him drive to the net a bit. And he actually at times can win a battle on the boards. Jankowski just as vanilla as vanilla can be. He makes Sheahan look like Crosby. What an unremarkable stiff of a player he is.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
So if not one of those two, where is the cap coming from to bring a winger or a Center? I highly doubt they're just not going to do anything with the hole Zucker left. And from Sullivan's interview this afternoon, it sounds like he wants McCann to play 4C.

Think the fan base and Pens writers are almost all in agreement that one of them is going.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Everyone makes a big deal of Wilson running around whenever we play the Caps as if he doesn't run around and take shots against literally every single team the Caps play, with zero repercussions.

It sucks, but it's not like we're some unique situation. Wilson takes dirty shots against everyone. It's a damn shame this power play is so garbage that you can essentially count on at least one man advantage because of Wilson and it's zero threat to make them pay on the scoreboard.

Ah well. He'll end someone's career sooner or later and maybe the league will eventually put their foot down.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This is the biggest decline for Crosby of his entire career. He’s really lost his dynamism. It’s a problem. Coupled with Geno’s decline it’s a season killer.

Geno's skill set seems perfectly intact.

It's his mind-boggling stupidity with the puck.

The first period of this game had me so angry at this team.... probably the most angry I been all season so far.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This is the biggest decline for Crosby of his entire career. He’s really lost his dynamism. It’s a problem. Coupled with Geno’s decline it’s a season killer.
We got arguably the most disciplined and structured team in the league this weekend in a B2B. I can't imagine that'll bode well for our stars.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

He's a nothing player. Most 4th liners are though so whatever. I would just try someone new and hope for a hot streak here and there. Keep things fresh. Obviously Jank isn't helping DOC in any way.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I agree with this. Both are good players still but the special-ness is gone IMO and this team is still built for them to be special.

Can't expect any more out of them but yeah, it does seem as though this era is coming to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad