Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps for the 80th time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
McCann back at least gives the Pens someone who has skill.

tenor.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This was a game where I was sad but not really disappointed. Just take the L. They’re coming off a bit of a win streak and keep playing the same decent teams over and over so it’s hard to win in bunches like that. I expect them to play well enough to stay above water and then hopefully they can feast on Buffalo and NJ later.

A month ago, I thought the damage JR did was irreparable.

BUT, we're in much better shape on the blueline than I thought then . . . Matheson-Marino is gold, you keep POJ for pairing with Letang or sliding down with Ceci, and then you can move one of Dumo or Pets.

THAT gets you your physical L2 LW who can play net front on the PP. Not a stud, but someone good.

Then you can use a lesser asset to add some sandpaper to L4 with McCann, and you're close to being there.

Is that team a cup favorite? Nah. BUT, if that type of team plays with the same type of guts this crew has been showing, then they're also not the easy out they've been the last two seasons.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This division is too tight and this team is too thin to be able to absorb Matheson's nightly gaffes. Oshie's goal was a beaut for sure, but Matheson seems to be unaware if not lazy on critical plays that turn into goals on a regular basis. It's getting frustrating.

I dunno, Matheson's stick broke (theme of the night) and that was a bit of a softie by Jarry anyway.

Matheson is like the most dynamic offensive player on this team right now and I want to keep seeing him out there.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This division is too tight and this team is too thin to be able to absorb Matheson's nightly gaffes. Oshie's goal was a beaut for sure, but Matheson seems to be unaware if not lazy on critical plays that turn into goals on a regular basis. It's getting frustrating.
You have a good point here. Two great plays in successive games, One by Panik, the other by Oshie (against MM). Heck you can go back to Eberles goal the game before that although MM was completely out of position on that one. But yeah, this has to be a concern. Because it's emerging as a pattern.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Said it before the season, and I'll say it again. I don't think the roster is that good. It doesn't mean they aren't playing hard, but the lack of finish (and sometimes skill) is apparent.

Well it’s definitely not good enough to be able to seamlessly absorb the loss of Dumoulin, Zucker and McCann. They need a couple decent forwards and they’re in the conversation so long as the goaltending holds up imo.

Reactions: BHD

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
"As constructed" at this point in the season means "chillax" to me.

Watch Ronny roll up the sleeves very soon.
Well he will trade Dumo or Pettersson for a winger or whatever. Maybe get some 4th line help. That's not enough.

Having a flaccid 2nd line ends any chance to compete. Hell, it might prevent us making the playoffs.

I still think Letang helps more than he hurts. We'd have a difficult time on breakouts without him. And as attached to Malkin as I and most of this board are, if the time is coming for him then I would do it now...before this season slips away and his value tanks more.

Pens need a culture shock. Too many incomplete games. It's gonna take a big swing to bring real change. And if they're unwilling to make a big move now then that's just surrendering to mediocrity.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Said it before the season, and I'll say it again. I don't think the roster is that good. It doesn't mean they aren't playing hard, but the lack of finish (and sometimes skill) is apparent. So yeah, I'm not shocked to see them where they are.

If you had mid-20s Sid & Geno, we're a Cup favorite with this roster.

But we don't and it's unfair to expect anything different out of them.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I dunno, Matheson's stick broke (theme of the night) and that was a bit of a softie by Jarry anyway.

Matheson is like the most dynamic offensive player on this team right now and I want to keep seeing him out there.
I like him, but this three consecutive games where forwards really owned his ass. Not to say Jarry couldn't or shouldn't have played them better but.......

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
LA is looking for a young LHD. Pettersson might be able to bring back a forward or two. Both Nashville and Calgary are imploding.

Reactions: KIRK

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I like him, but this three consecutive games where forwards really owned his ass. Not to say Jarry couldn't or shouldn't have played them better but.......

You have to take the bad with the good with him.

I really wish we could find a way to sneak him onto PP1 in the next month, and onto LW in the next year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
we better win both b2b games against the Isles...we’re out of the POs now with NJD creeping up, 5 back 3 games in hand...can’t give Caps and Isles more cushion

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Said it before the season, and I'll say it again. I don't think the roster is that good. It doesn't mean they aren't playing hard, but the lack of finish (and sometimes skill) is apparent. So yeah, I'm not shocked to see them where they are.
I'm not shocked either. It's more the manner in which these games are played. Tight checking games all the time get a bit tedious. That's why it sucks when you play the same team 34 times a year.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Well he will trade Dumo or Pettersson for a winger or whatever. Maybe get some 4th line help. That's not enough.

Having a flaccid 2nd line ends any chance to compete. Hell, it might prevent us making the playoffs.

I still think Letang helps more than he hurts. We'd have a difficult time on breakouts without him. And as attached to Malkin as I and most of this board are, if the time is coming for him then I would do it now...before this season slips away and his value tanks more.

Pens need a culture shock. Too many incomplete games. It's gonna take a big swing to bring real change. And if they're unwilling to make a big move now than that's just surrendering to mediocrity.

I still say Petts is going to be out of here by summer... if not sooner. Just my gut feeling.

My dvr recorded tuesdays game on the nbcsn feed and even pierre said... and I actually agree with the talking penis for once... he said something on the line of, 'letang is good, but not once he gets over 20 minutes' .... something something something 'he tries to do too much' yada yada yada....

Just because he can, does not mean he should.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You have to take the bad with the good with him.

I really wish we could find a way to sneak him onto PP1 in the next month, and onto LW in the next year.
Overall I like his game. That said he can't be surrendering a goal against each game, on a guy he's assigned to stop.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If I had a wishlist for the Fs I’d like a guy like Bennett who is a prick for the bottom 6 and elevates his game in the playoffs— and a skilled player who can create, maybe Granlund.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Okay, back to getting a good PP guy for the LW wall on the PP. Thought they needed more before Zucker went down, and now they just need it to get by.

Come on Hexy... rub some coal together, throw some salt over the shoulder and hope for a diamond.

Reactions: KIRK and BHD

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
we better win both b2b games against the Isles...we’re out of the POs now with NJD creeping up, 5 back 3 games in hand...can’t give Caps and Isles more cushion
We'll probably win won in OT (surprising I know) then lose a clean two points. My Prediction Isles get three points, Pittsburgh gets two.

Reactions: Andy99

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Well it’s definitely not good enough to be able to seamlessly absorb the loss of Dumoulin, Zucker and McCann. They need a couple decent forwards and they’re in the conversation so long as the goaltending holds up imo.

McCann wasn't doing anything when he was in the lineup. It just meant we saw less of 'the fourth liners.' Zucker, meanwhile, was brutal to start to the season.

Dumoulin, is the big one IMO. He definitely wasn't playing up to his level, but he was still better than someone of the other guys. Getting him back will help, because some of them (the ones who normally play a lesser role) are getting caught out there.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It depends on your expectations. Honestly, a game like tonight, I'd rather lose big and somehow changes take place. You lose a close game like this, nothing changes. Same as it ever was.

Now I have that talking heads song in my ... head.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
McCann wasn't doing anything when he was in the lineup. It just meant we saw less of 'the fourth liners.' Zucker, meanwhile, was brutal to start to the season.

Dumoulin, is the big one IMO. He definitely wasn't playing up to his level, but he was still better than someone of the other guys. Getting him back will help, because some of them (the ones who normally play a lesser role) are getting caught out there.

Those guys are still better than the alternatives, that’s my point.

Reactions: BHD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad