Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps for the 80th time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I agree with this. Both are good players still but the special-ness is gone IMO and this team is still built for them to be special.

Can't expect any more out of them but yeah, it does seem as though this era is coming to an end.
Which is why trading our first rounder was a bad idea. Thank the Lord we got Hextall. The bottom might be close to falling out next season. We need to start stockpiling picks. Let's see how this season plays out but I don't anticipate much going well for us this summer.

Reactions: Shady Machine

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Geno's skill set seems perfectly intact.

It's his mind-boggling stupidity with the puck.

The first period of this game had me so angry at this team.... probably the most angry I been all season so far.

I don't think he was that bad with the puck today.

He should look across the ice to how Backstrom is aging gracefully and maybe take a couple notes though.

Reactions: LOGiK

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The issue isn't that Sid and Geno are getting older and can't do the same things anymore. The issue is that we spent with reckless abandon for the past five or so years, many deals that we didn't need to, and now we're in a spot where we need to rely so heavily on two 34 year old guys that it's unreasonable to expect any sort of success. We've got Jake, we've got Rust. Outside of those two, who we were extremely lucky to have panned out like they did, we don't have any heavy lifters in terms of production. Hell, even with Jake and Rust (and the aging Sid and Geno) into the equation, we don't have a single game-breaker at forward. I like Zucker, I like Kap, I think they're both really good players and honestly, probably catch more flak than they deserve around here. But ideally, Zucker's a third wheel swiss army knife on a scoring line, and Kap's an elite 3rd line RW. The top-6 was supposed to be our one strength, and on a roster full of question marks, it couldn't be as pedestrian as it's been, to put it nicely.

That's why I don't give a crap if they start the big sell this off-season coming up. Window's been closed since we decided to throw in the towel on adapting and simply stayed the course after the Isles series. Now we're just coastin' along in the lazy river.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I don't think he was that bad with the puck today.

He should look across the ice to how Backstrom is aging gracefully and maybe take a couple notes though.

Not saying Crosby is a bad player, he just can’t elevate and take over games anymore. He used to see a crack of daylight, blast through it, and score. He’s just not doing that anymore. And the Penguins need that to be a contender. He has two even strength goals this season if I remember correctly. That’s not good enough for any 1C and it’s definitely not good enough for him and his cap hit.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So I just made my first ever keto pancakes (6 almond flour ones), turned out pretty meh! so about on par with this shit game. Pretty meh but it was ok for the first time making my own pancakes from scratch.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The issue isn't that Sid and Geno are getting older and can't do the same things anymore. The issue is that we spent with reckless abandon for the past five or so years, many deals that we didn't need to, and now we're in a spot where we need to rely so heavily on two 34 year old guys that it's unreasonable to expect any sort of success. We've got Jake, we've got Rust. Outside of those two, who we were extremely lucky to have panned out like they did, we don't have any heavy lifters in terms of production. Hell, even with Jake and Rust (and the aging Sid and Geno) into the equation, we don't have a single game-breaker at forward. I like Zucker, I like Kap, I think they're both really good players and honestly, probably catch more flak than they deserve around here. But ideally, Zucker's a third wheel swiss army knife on a scoring line, and Kap's an elite 3rd line RW. The top-6 was supposed to be our one strength, and on a roster full of question marks, it couldn't be as pedestrian as it's been, to put it nicely.

That's why I don't give a crap if they start the big sell this off-season coming up. Window's been closed since we decided to throw in the towel on adapting and simply stayed the course after the Isles series. Now we're just coastin' along in the lazy river.

We definitely moved off Phil, Hormy and Murray 1 year later than we should have. I think the value would have been much higher. And of course we had the Brassard disaster.

I look at a guy even like Vrana and man...we don't have that at forward. We don't have that period aside from Matheson hah.

But I can't be mad that a team that was competitive for 13-14 years is declining.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Not saying Crosby is a bad player, he just can’t elevate and take over games anymore. He used to see a crack of daylight, blast through it, and score. He’s just not doing that anymore. And the Penguins need that to be a contender. He has two even strength goals this season if I remember correctly. That’s not good enough for any 1C and it’s definitely not good enough for him and his cap hit.

His footspeed isn't even close to what it used to be. At least compared to the rest of the league.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Bruins, Caps, Flyers and Isles are the top 4 teams in the division and will be the playoff qualifiers. Pens are competing for 5th best...

I don’t give two shits about how many games the Pens have remaining against the Devils and Sabres because those games aren’t guarantees by any stretch and they’ve already f***ed around too much with these 3 point games and allowed the Isles and Caps to continue to build and stack points.

And what’s Hextall gonna do? What can he do? Can he trade the stupid away from this team and bring back some hockey sense?

On a side note...pretty funny, or pathetic depending on how you look at it, to watch Wilson yet again rock a Pens player and send him off the ice, and 1. You don’t make him pay on the PP and 2. Your epic response was a bump at center ice that likely didn’t faze him at all, and then chirp with him while skates around with a big f***ing grin on his face...

Classic Pens...

We are 8 - 3 against the Caps and Isles so far this season.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I get that we've had some comeback situations, but I wouldn't say this team's been entertaining at all. Frustrating is not entertaining. Hell, for a good chunk of nearly every game, they've been downright dull. Way too sanitized and structured, which is to be expected when things aren't in a great spot. But still, watching this Penguins team has felt like a chore way too often this season thus far.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Isles season series is much more impressive for me though. Won 3 of 4 VS a team we have struggled with last few years. Scored a good amount.

That being said, we don't deserve to be 3-1 against them. That was a lot of luck and Jarry.

lol. This board is insufferable.

Such a microcosm of the joke that is PIT sports fans.

"Greatest sports fans in the country" yeah f***ing right. The fair-weather fan comments we get from other fanbases are 100% true.

PIT has been down multiple defensemen all year. We're competitive. Jarry is looking good. Malkin looked alive. Letang has been way better. This team had a ton of overturn. We are 5 - 2 in our last 7.

Reactions: ZorkEnchanter

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I get that we've had some comeback situations, but I wouldn't say this team's been entertaining at all. Frustrating is not entertaining. Hell, for a good chunk of nearly every game, they've been downright dull. Way too sanitized and structured, which is to be expected when things aren't in a great spot. But still, watching this Penguins team has felt like a chore way too often this season thus far.
Agreed. Lack of physicality and flaccid PP steals a lot of entertainment value. Sid and Malkin are not playing like elite players anymore, and Zucker was a huge disappointment. Jake is producing but is lacking the edge he had before the injury. The 4th line provide no excitement whatsoever.

The things that I've enjoyed this season are few, but they include: D being very involved offensively/emergence of POJ, Kapanen, Jarry's progression, Blueger and Rust. Through 18 games, that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad