Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps for the 80th time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
Can't say I'm surprised by the team or some of the (hot) takes.

The team wasn't magically fixed after a very good showing Tuesday, nor are the magically beyond repair with a dismal effort last night.

I was hoping Malkin's confidence would continue, but it really didn't. He looked even worse than usual. I do wonder if there is more going on there than we know. This inconsistency in effort and execution can't reasonably be explained by age based decline. Not sure if it's emotional, physical or spiritual but Geno isn't himself. I hope whatever it is, the real Russian Machine comes back to us soon.

I thought Sid's line was overall even, some very good individual plays but they weren't working well as a unit. Jake's goal was a beauty though, even if a bit lucky. Seems reasonable that the Caps coaching staff put some adjustments in after that line dominated Tuesday. With this weird schedule coaching staff's will need to play little series battles vs other teams and make continuous adjustments. I think they ebbed out the Pens in that one last night.

Second line overall was dysfunctional but with a new addition and a very lackluster Malkin, that's what I expected.

Third line did all you could reasonably expect, another solid effort from them.

the fourth.... well, I'm not going to go as far as some, but they did overall disappoint. I think now is the appropriate juncture for the front office to inform these folks that they are gone as soon as they find a suitable replacement if they don't step it up.

Defense was good and bad. A few bad reads but overall good transistion. i won't hold the Oshie goal against them, that was a phenomenal effort on Oshie's part. As they say, sometimes the other guy is just better.

Jarry was again good, but his opposition was a bit better. That is mostly due to context. He wasn't given as much of a chance to look good. The caps chances looked either harmless or nearly unstoppable with comparatively few just dangerous shots. he certainly didn't lose the game, but he didn't steal it either.

I don't think this team as constructed is going to come together and become a dominant force in the division, but if they clean up some of the mistakes and a few players get their heads back on straight, they can compete with anyone in it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't have time to sift through everyones posts, but after so long you see trends in posters attitudes.

I donno... it was extremely negative after the loss yesterday, but I mean.... that was a putrid first period, even considering the zooks injury, one injury shouldn't bring down every line. The constant over passing... the late late late hit by the infamous capital... it's just very frustrating, I get it.

Usually it's extreme dread for a few hours after a loss, but the next day it's more level headed on the board. It's impossible to be stoic in posts... of course the outcomes affect the mood of the place. I never said I agree about the quality of penguins hfb posters declining... there is still plenty of good posters here.

I don't think the team badly aside from L4, but the longer-term trend is that the danger level of Sid & Geno is going down. L2 will look good out there and then generate precious little of substance. L1 didn't generate much either aside from Jake's moment of genius at the end.

They are still good but this team won't win if Sid & Geno are just league-average scoring line centers and that looks like how it's going.

I'm not feeling "sky is falling" about the team right now but I am feeling like the upside is really low unless Sid & Geno find the fountain of youth.

Reactions: LOGiK

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I think they'll make the playoffs, and yeah they could be a tough out if they get hot at the right time. Boston is the only team that I would expect to embarrass them. I don't see why they couldn't take out Washington or Philly.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think they'll make the playoffs, and yeah they could be a tough out if they get hot at the right time. Boston is the only team that I would expect to embarrass them. I don't see why they couldn't take out Washington or Philly.

If they keep going the rate they are going currently they really have to knock out some wins against the sabers, devils and rangers.

It's been said to death, but we won't know until we play those teams. Only played the top 4 teams in the league so far. Haven't played the rags yet since they have started putting together better effort overall.

If they .500 the bottom 3 or 4 division teams... then they will remain where they are... 5th place.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If they keep going the rate they are going currently they really have to knock out some wins against the sabers, devils and rangers.

It's been said to death, but we won't know until we play those teams. Only played the top 4 teams in the league so far. Haven't played the rags yet since they have started putting together better effort overall.

If they .500 the bottom 3 or 4 division teams... then they will remain where they are... 5th place.

Yep. The stretch coming up is going to be brutal. Let’s hope they continue to dominate the Isles.

Reactions: LOGiK

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
These lazy idoits didn't want to show up once again. And by lazy idiots I mean 87, 71 and 58, of course. Didn't even bother to try and win the game, or at least start by scoring a goal or two. It's the main problem Pens have right now, not the injuries or goaltending or scoring depth - it is the lack of caring and motivation and professionalism by their top players, their stars, the guys who are supposed to lead the team on the ice and on the scoreboard.

Letang was a special kind of stupid in this game. And don't give me crap about bad luck and "what could he do". How does it happen that all of the stupidest stuff alwas happens to one guy, him and also sometimes to Geno? They are simply lazy stupid bums.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Pens straight-up need to make some personnel changes at forward before this group will find anything like consistency.

The holes are too glaring.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Missing two top nine forwards is going to sink most teams.

The Pens weren't very good even when they had them, and the holes were just as apparent.

Zucker honestly isn't even a big loss for the Pens given how they were using him. I'm no ZAR fan, but it's not like he represents a downgrade there based on performance.

What sucks is that Zucker was really the only chance that the Pens had to fix the top 6 internally. If there were ever any hope that Guentzel could leave Crosby's hip for a minute, it evaporated when Zucker went down.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Uh, how about beating the f***ing Caps in regulation??? Instead, they are ahead of the Pen in the standings because Pittsburgh STILL can’t put together a 60 minute effort...

They don't care, starting with the stars

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Given our options, if we're not going to trade anybody, Malkin-Blueger-Rust looks like our best chance for a decent 2nd line.

Ugh.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yep. The stretch coming up is going to be brutal. Let’s hope they continue to dominate the Isles.

Yeah, won't see the capitals until end of april once and beginning of may once again.

March will be jam packed with tough games.
If they struggle or .500 march there is a chance for redemption with the april match-ups.

I doubt zooks will be back for march... I even doubt april, but if he does come back... I really hope it's april to lend a hand since the entire month is almost entirely against the bottom of the division teams outside of boston and a flyers/caps game apiece.
(9 games against rags/sabers/debs) (4 boston 1 flyer 1 capitals)

I don't think any top team has so far swept the bottom 4 teams though... so they really have to keep at .500 minimum but really excel for stretches.

I donno... I can't find anything to say I haven't already read.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The Pens weren't very good even when they had them, and the holes were just as apparent.

Zucker honestly isn't even a big loss for the Pens given how they were using him. I'm no ZAR fan, but it's not like he represents a downgrade there based on performance.

What sucks is that Zucker was really the only chance that the Pens had to fix the top 6 internally. If there were ever any hope that Guentzel could leave Crosby's hip for a minute, it evaporated when Zucker went down.

True. But, I’m just saying look at what has happened to Philly without their forward depth.

Some teams can overcome it, but reality is we need to move out a LD for wing talent.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just got around to watching the rest of the game...we were outplayed by the Caps unlike last game,..they made some adjustments and (theme of the year) we were unable to capitalize on their mistakes in the O zone (or their goalie played better depending on your perspective) and the PP regressed shooting wise, whereas they finished some high danger chances and got a PP goal....the lack of consistent finishing on NHL goalies will doom this team to mediocrity...

having said that, our best chance is to at least reunite BART...hopefully McCann is ready and can be a force on L2 at least temporarily or we’re looking at a trade for someone better...I don’t think given our middling prospects to do anything in the POs that Hextall makes a big move...I’m sure if McCann reverts to McCan’t then ERod will get a chance on L2 lol...our entire L4 needs to be shot towards the sun...bring in Angello, Bellerive and Zohorna and see what they can do...anything, anyone would be better than the current line

Last edited:

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Biggest issue tonight is the 4th line lost is the game.

What line? You mean the line with two guys ont who are eating 18,2 mln of cap space combined and scoring ... (checks notes) ... 1 assist between them in this game? That line with those guys lost us the game? If so - I completely agree.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
These games are so frustrating because they're winnable, but lazy unmotivated "superstars" are the factor. I really only think you can complain about 2 things

1) letang's sticks/not going to the bench to get a new one on the pk

2) Guentzel just seems like hes playing timid. Although he scored a sweet goal so....

Edited.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
L1 ties up the game. The bottom six was on the ice for 2 GA at 5v5 and took the penalty that led to the GWG.

That can’t happen..

We aren't discussing it all right now if Crosby and Malkin score as much as their cap hits imply they would.

THEY are the reason No1 this game is an "L"

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Biggest issue is we don’t have a 4th line.

Biggest issue is we dedicate 25,7 mln of cap space to three players who produce jack crap and regularly let the team down when they are supposed to lift it up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We aren't discussing it all right now if Crosby and Malkin score as much as their cap hits imply they would.

THEY are the reason No1 this game is an "L"

Their cap hits are pretty much in line with what they are producing tbh.

The issue is those cap hits used to be steals, now they are becoming fair value for what they are bringing.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
These games are so frustrating because they're winnable, but bad luck is the factor. I really only think you can complain about 2 things

1) letang's sticks/not going to the bench to get a new one on the pk

2) Guentzel just seems like hes playing timid. Although he scored a sweet goal so....

Of note, that sweet goal was also because of the speed he went from behind the net, to step into such a great position almost right in the goalies face in the blink of an eye and catch him off guard.

Had nothing to do with his shot (which the pens desperately need), which he either isn't capable of because of the injury.... or ... whatever reason is going on with him.

Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad