Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps for the 80th time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sure, but we just won 3 of 5. Sullivan sucks. Our roster has been demolished by injuries.

I dunno, let's see how we look when we don't have to run Lafferty and ZAR in our top nine.

This team is at a crossroads where good things are happening but there are also really discouraging signs. We have never won much without an overwhelming top 6 so I think you can't blame people for feeling like the ceiling on the team is pretty limited even if they look passable to good most nights.

Certainly the season is going better than I thought it would after the first couple.

Happiness is reality minus expectations and I think it's safe to say that expectations of this team were all over the place.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
OK, yeah you said it right there.
Yeah I'm not getting sucked in anymore. Him trying to claim that we didn't steal the most recent Islanders game is a joke.

Why the hell should I even have to provide analytics for something so obvious? This board watched the game, did they not? How is there any gray area whatsoever?

Dude's whack. I'm out.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I like watching young players succeed. Seeing players like Blueger, Jarry, Kapanen, and Marino continue to come into their own is fun for me. Seeing our team coming back with a SH goal and an individual effort by Jake is fun.

Sometimes we lose. We didn't deserve to tonight.
TBH I'm less concerned with the wins and losses. Don't get me wrong I'd much rather win, but at least let me enjoy the process here. This reminds me of the Constantine era. I'm bored. And If I'm bored I suspect many others here are as well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This team is at a crossroads where good things are happening but there are also really discouraging signs. We have never won much without an overwhelming top 6 so I think you can't blame people for feeling like the ceiling on the team is pretty limited even if they look passable to good most nights.

Certainly the season is going better than I thought it would after the first couple.

Happiness is reality minus expectations and I think it's safe to say that expectations of this team were all over the place.

Our biggest question mark was goaltending which seems to have worked itself out.

POJ is flatlining, but Letang, Matheson and Marino seem to be rounding into form.

Our L4 sucks, but that is an easy thing to fix if we desire to.

Reactions: KIRK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I'm not getting sucked in anymore. Him trying to claim that we didn't steal the most recent Islanders game is a joke.

Why the hell should I even have to provide analytics for something so obvious? This board watched the game, did they not? How is there any gray area whatsoever?

Dude's whack. I'm out.
I'm confused as well on this. I see it as you do. We were very fortunate to win that game.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Our biggest question mark was goaltending which seems to have worked itself out.

POJ is flatlining, but Letang, Matheson and Marino seem to be rounding into form.

Our L4 sucks, but that is an easy thing to fix if we desire to.

Goaltending could have sunk us true, but if Sid/Geno are just average scoring line centers now we aren't getting past the second round. And you know what? Maybe that's good. All depends on how you frame it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm confused as well on this. I see it as you do. We were very fortunate to win that game.
Think the entire fan base sees it that way.

I know Pixies trolls here and there, but sometimes there's just these outrageous claims that are irritating af. They're like in direct contradiction to accepted reality. I don't understand it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Goaltending could have sunk us true, but if Sid/Geno are just average scoring line centers now we aren't getting past the second round. And you know what? Maybe that's good. All depends on how you frame it.
You got McDavid scoring at will and Sid and Geno can't even get to a PPG. Granted there's some tomato cans north of the border, but boy how the mighty have fallen.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I was under the impression from his previous usage in T.O. that Kapanen was more of a grinder with some elite acceleration and a deceptive shot. I’m not seeing much of the so-called “grinding.” He plays a fairly peripheral game and I don’t think it gels with Sullivan’s system or Geno or Sid.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Think the entire fan base sees it that way.

I know Pixies trolls here and there, but sometimes there's just these outrageous claims that are irritating af. They're like in direct contradiction to accepted reality. I don't understand it.
Believe me I'm as confused as you are my friend. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. lol

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I was under the impression from his previous usage in T.O. that Kapanen was more of a grinder with some elite acceleration and a deceptive shot. I’m not seeing much of the so-called “grinding.” He plays a fairly peripheral game and I don’t think it gels with Sullivan’s system or Geno or Sid.
He's really good in open ice, not in the trenches. I think that's a pretty fair statement.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think people need to pay attention to his game. He isn't the type of player that is going to knock people around or score a clean shot. But he's consistently throwing subtle checks that create space and using his speed to get us in the zone.

I think him and Crosby have been way better than anticipated.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, cos having almost 1/4 of the cap tied up in two underperforming players can’t be the problem.
Hey genius, ever stop to think that the reason they are supposedly “under performing” is because this teams make up and support players are trash?! Yeah, me asking you if you think... that’s rich I know.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I think people need to pay attention to his game. He isn't the type of player that is going to knock people around or score a clean shot. But he's consistently throwing subtle checks that create space and using his speed to get us in the zone.

I think him and Crosby have been way better than anticipated.
You must have lower expectations than I do. I’m hoping Hextall flips him for someone who is a better fit. I don’t think he’s going to find much success here with Sullivan as the coach, unless he’s allowed to play a less structured game. He would probably help more if he was allowed to hang out closer to the blueline in the defensive end.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I am seeing him with speed/disruptive ability. There is little board play, but like Zucker he is buzzy out there.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I am seeing him with speed/disruptive ability. There is little board play, but like Zucker he is buzzy out there.
The thing is Sullivan doesn’t let them pressure high in the defensive zone unless they’re on the PK, and Sids bread and butter is the cycle at the other end. If they’re not going to keep BART intact, I’d rather have Tanev up on L1. He’s never really had a go on that line and might be a better fit than Kapanen.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey genius, ever stop to think that the reason they are supposedly “under performing” is because this teams make up and support players are trash?! Yeah, me asking you if you think... that’s rich I know.

Thanks for letting me know there’s someone else I can put on Ignore.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
After seeing the final score, I wasn’t angry I couldn’t watch it.
Anne-Hathaway-Hurt-Crying-Gif.gif

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
They are competitive. Our young players are playing well. The hockey in the East is a dredge given the teams, but I'd say after Boston we are the most exciting team to watch.
Messrs. Barzal and Panarin would like a word. ;) And yeah, other than Barzal, the Isles are pretty boring. Efficient, but boring. The Rangers are a hoot, though. Last night's loss to Philly was a super fun game to watch. Plenty of stupid f***ups, but still exciting. EDIT: Even with Panarin out for mysterious reason...

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Anyone else want to try and tell me that we're having unrealistic expectations about the 4th line and how they're actually fine?

They're atrocious. Actively losing this team games.
tenor.gif

You can’t keep playing four pieces of garbage every single night. This is why it infuriates me that we haven’t tried Jordy or Currie yet.

Why is dumbie Hextall wasting time picking up a dmen on waivers when we literally play at least 3 forwards every single night that shouldn’t be in the league?

Try something, anything besides Jank, Sceviour, O’Conner or Lafferty. These guys aren’t NHL players.

It’s insane. How does Sully continue to ice these clowns every night and not at least try other options, even if those other options are limited?

How does management sit back and let this **** happen? If your head coach really can’t see that the fourth line is an embarrassment, either fire him or find him other options.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Now we are a one-line team since Geno is playing with a 4th liner and a third liner. This roster is flawed; it leaves no room for injuries in the top 6. Everyone in the top 6 must be playing well and cannot be injured for this squad to succeed, which isn’t happening. Thanks, JR.

We were lucky to avoid the injury bug until recently with regards to forwards.

Also, at what point do you fire Reirden for our 25th best power play? I hope he was only signed to a one-year deal, because he’s not working here.

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Letang has to either get a stick from a forward or switch to the forward position and then get one from the bench at the first opportunity. He can't just go to the bench leaving a 5 on 3, with the 3 defenders not set to defend.
We lost the game not because he broke his stick, we lost it because he was still defending the net without one well after he broke it.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
That in and of itself isn't saying much. This division is largely compromised of boring, regimented, structured hockey teams.

It's like a division comprised of many teams that resemble the Devils from yesteryear.

I like the division. It's pretty stacked and for the most part big, physical and with a lot of skill. The Devils and Islanders are a bit boring and the Sabres are meh. The Bruins Flyers and Caps all play exciting games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad