Post-Game Talk: Pens vs. Caps, 4-1. Jarry, get ready to learn Arizonan, buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It is pretty crazy that we’re back in with a shot. Almost as crazy as having been out of the running with how poor Metro competition is outside of Rangers and Canes.

So, so frustrating to think of the absurd amount of points we have gifted away, PP, Sully, Jarry, Graves, playing safe and worthless guys in the bottom 6 for so long. Argh…

I still think our schedule is rather horrible, but at least teams like Tampa, Toronto and Boston should not be as desperate as us now. Also a boon that we have a leg up on regulation wins.

The most Penguins thing to now would be to win the next four and lose to Detroit and Isles to miss out by a point.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Fun fact: if they all finish out the rest of the season at their current last-10 pace, all of the Flyers, Islanders, Red Wings and Penguins would end with 89 points.

At this point, I'm basically expecting it to somehow end that way with the Pens just barely missing out on a tie breaker :laugh:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Fun fact: if they all finish out the rest of the season at their current last-10 pace, all of the Flyers, Islanders, Red Wings and Penguins would end with 89 points.

At this point, I'm basically expecting it to somehow end that way with the Pens just barely missing out on a tie breaker :laugh:
Don’t we have more regulation wins than the other teams though? I thought that was how they determine.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
It's mind boggling to me that the Pens can be so awful this season and yet still have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

Metro division? More like Shitro division.
We have a respectable aggregate record against the better teams. However, the dregs of the league beat the shit out of us, especially when we have the audacity to enjoy leads into the third period.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
It is pretty crazy that we’re back in with a shot. Almost as crazy as having been out of the running with how poor Metro competition is outside of Rangers and Canes.

So, so frustrating to think of the absurd amount of points we have gifted away, PP, Sully, Jarry, Graves, playing safe and worthless guys in the bottom 6 for so long. Argh…

I still think our schedule is rather horrible, but at least teams like Tampa, Toronto and Boston should not be as desperate as us now. Also a boon that we have a leg up on regulation wins.

The most Penguins thing to now would be to win the next four and lose to Detroit and Isles to miss out by a point.

Yeah I think that's a big part of the apathy here. We had a big chunk of easy games that we would have won if we'd had half of the spirit from the last 2 weeks. If we'd actually tried, we would have been comfortably in already and as fans we might have thought, hey this team might have a chance of doing something ridiculous. It's such an indictment of the leadership of this team that they couldn't turn this on until the absolute last possible moment. Like the only story that finally worked was an underdog story? They're only motivated when they're told it's over?

It's very Sully, like previous seasons where we get a big injury and suddenly the team actually tries seriously. As fun as it is to stay in it to the end and spite the Sharks, it's so unprofessional for a veteran team to not put in the effort when it was needed.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
So POJ seemed to have a pretty good season last year and was expecting him to take that next step this year. Was kind of shocked when he was in and out of the lineup to start the year and even when he was in it he was playing minimal minutes.

Fast forward to the last month or so and it seems like he has been finding himself in the lineup a lot more consistently as well as getting more consistent minutes. Last 10 games he is even finding himself onto the scoresheet pretty regularly.

What happened earlier in the season? Was it a sully thing or did he not come prepared to start the year or something?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
3-7 in the metro is bunch of flawed or out of synch teams. The Pens have the best roster of them. Still lots of work to do, but they are mentally locked in, which is so good to see after they looked cooked after the deadline.
Yup just keep Jarry away from the net and it gives the team a chance.

Don’t see us jumping Philly being two points back and their schedule being much easier.

Islanders have a really tough schedule outside of Montreal. Rangers twice and Devils who they haven’t been good against.

Capitals have 3 tough games and 3 meh games. Two of them are massive for the race.

Us. 4 hard games and the two others are massive in the race.

We probably do and should have the lowest odds to make the playoffs at this point.

Probably getting a slight bump in our chances of making it because we somehow hold the RW tiebreaker against everyone we are going up against.
Pens have done well against good teams this year. It might be better this way, they'll be fully engaged.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Graves and Jarry are the worst contracts by far on this team. Hard to get rid of those.

Reactions: wizmet12

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
This game felt like it lasted forever... maybe because I didn't fast forward most of it as I did in some of the previous Penguin "efforts". :)

We need to be opportunistic to get results and we were and with a lot of luck too. In the second period the Caps have zero high danger scoring chances and the eye test confirmed that this was the Pens' best period by a half. And yet the two crucial goals came early on our first two shots when we missed like gazillion easy clears and generally playing like shit. Hockey can be funny that way. Still, it helps that we waited for traffic to gather rather than shoot from everywhere and hope for the best. Maybe we could have tried this amazing new tactic earlier in the season?

Bunting scored on one of the worst of his many chances, again, funny how that works.

The sinking feeling you get when the Pens get a PP and badly need a goal says it all about how bad they are at this aspect of the game.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Didn’t watch, but glad to see Bunting is playing well. And obviously, A-Ned is the team’s best option in net right now. About time Sullivan made a significant decision that wasn’t poor.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad